Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Thanks for the great LP!

My votes:
Lords of the Realm
Ground Control
Theme Hospital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
If I can nominate a game from 2001 on my list, put Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns at the top. It came in 2001, so it's a little past the cutoff point. It definitely is older than fifteen years, however.

Warlords series I've played Warlords Battlecry, but I've never been able to find the turn-based games for sale digitally so I've never had the chance to play them. To my surprise, I've found out I can play Warlords 2 in my browser nowadays. Dunno which would be best to run with.
Star General or Fantasy General
Lords of the Realm

Bumped off the list because I remembered the three vote maximum.
Master of Magic
Master of Orion 2
Age of Wonders

Added later because I only thought of it after hitting post.
The Incredible Machine if you want to experiment with the video format so more.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 7, 2018

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Might I suggest Alien Legacy? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Legacy

It appears to be right up your alley.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Deathwind posted:

Oh man, that reminds me of Reunion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reunion_(video_game) Now there's a weird game. It's primarily real-time strategy, but also has some adventure game elements, and some ships need to be flown in first person, like transport fleets, rather than you being able to just command them to go places and do things. Or possibly I just never figured out how to command them otherwise as a kid.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I don't know if the original Command & Conquer is eligible in any form or way, but it is an RTS, allegedly.

Otherwise good options in my opinion are Age of Wonders and Age of Empires, the latter of which I played the crap out of.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Good suggestions everybody. I haven't even heard of a quarter or so of this stuff.

Wayne posted:

even if I am more of a DS9 than a Voyager guy

So am I, actually. But it's hard to fit what I consider the best stuff about it into MOO.

** Cellular ennui?
** slapstick Ferengi comedy: "Brunt … FCA"; "You gave them vacations! You DISGUST me!"; "Your entire family will be thrown from the top of the Tower of Commerce, and small children will take bets on where you land"; "My house is my house … and so are all of its contents" "Exploitation begins at home!" "You couldn't ambush a bolean if it was blindfolded and tied to a tree!" etc.
** Garuuk's rather … ahem … extreme morality.
** That Cardassian trial …

And so on. Could have been a Cardassian with the Make Cardassia Great Again cap from the BOTF thread and Gul Dukat as the protagonist … but it didn't feel right. And they aren't very hive-mind in nature. So piffle.

PurpleXVI posted:

AGE OF WONDERS for an older, fantasy-themed 4x that's pretty well-designed, and which has a great sequel, Age of Wonders 3, which is sadly out of the scope(time-wise) for the retro suggestions.

The starting point of the series is old enough, so it would count if we began with the original.

LordSloth posted:

Star General or Fantasy General

Oh my. I've started about a half-dozen different SSI games. Never got anywhere with them. Then I saw someone(Grey Hunter?) plowing through them like they were nothing. Course I haven't tried in like a decade but yeah that's a trip down memory lane.

Lynneth posted:

I don't know if the original Command & Conquer is eligible in any form or way, but it is an RTS, allegedly.

Sure. It's a crime against humanity, at the very least that there isn't a proper megathread for that series. There's one of the original from a few years ago, and also Renegade and Tiberian Dawn were done at some point by different people, but none of the more recent ones. That has to change sometime, but whether I'm the person for it and whether this is the time for it is another question entirely.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
1. Seconding Alien Legacy. It's realtime with no pause so I could never get into it but would like to see it done. Nothing in the archive but some LPs on YT.

2. Master of Magic, preferably with the Unofficial Patch. There's nweismuller's LP in the archive so you should probably pick another strategy. 11 death books and Wraith starting spell is so much fun...

3. Sid Meier's Colonization.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
I would love an analytic take on Ground Control, I was always awful at that game.

And this thread has been an amazing read Thot, I have vague memories of playing this game as a kid and it has been interesting to see it picked apart.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
Seconding Warlords II. Alternatively, Castles:Siege and Conquest. You get to design your own castles and also finance a trip to find Prester John!!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Frozenzen posted:

I would love an analytic take on Ground Control, I was always awful at that game.

And this thread has been an amazing read Thot, I have vague memories of playing this game as a kid and it has been interesting to see it picked apart.

Ground Control is my vote. I feel like it was very revolutionary when it came out, and not many people played it. Freespace would be my second choice but everyone who was a gamer in the 90s is familiar with it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
MOO2

I loved that game.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Deathwind posted:

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh man, that reminds me of Reunion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reunion_(video_game) Now there's a weird game. It's primarily real-time strategy, but also has some adventure game elements, and some ships need to be flown in first person, like transport fleets, rather than you being able to just command them to go places and do things. Or possibly I just never figured out how to command them otherwise as a kid.
I loved Reunion back when I was a kid! It's a terrible game, but quite charming, and I think it'd benefit from a good LP treatment. I'd love to see that or Alien Legacy if it's similar.

Failing that, it really is a crime that Theme Hospital hasn't had the LP treatment. Paging Doctor Thotimx!

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Congratulations on besting MOO in every possible way!

N'thing Alien Legacy, a pretty neat game I never played for long enough to find out what happened with the main plot.

Ascendancy might be worth a look if you want to keep it 4X.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascendancy_(video_game)

Kind of amazed to learn there hasn't been an SA LP of Theme Hospital so that'll be my third pick.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My three are Lords of the Realm, MOO2, and Homeworld

Thank you for reminding me that LotR/II exists! I played the hell out of that when I was younger and it was amazing to me. I want to see how you play/break MOO2 as just like following along with MOO here, I'm trying to get better at the game. And as for Homeworld, I was never able to get into it due to not being a good player and the spectre of game death spirals if I didn't mine everything on every map and lose too many units/resources, but I'd love to see it played by someone who knows how it's done.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LotR was the first strategy game I got really into as a kid. I remember buying Lords of Magic entirely because I thought it was a sequel to LotR.

Lords of Magic was also great, if janky as hell.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Heroes of Might and Magic III!

I guess MoO2 is my second choice.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So many choices... Dune 2, Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune to start, but also , Z: Steel Soldiers, Civilization: Call to Power, the Space Empires series, The Settlers...

I'm gonna go with Dune 2000!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I want malpractice. Theme Hospital

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Theme Hospital
MAX

All the fine choices.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Ground control seems interesting with the "no reinforcements in-mission", and along a similar theme, you might be interested in the fairly obscure Original War (assuming that release date of 2001 is ok).

Theme Hospital as my 3rd vote.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm very interested in seeing Ground Control because I've never played it and I'd like to be able to compare with my favorite RTT games, the Myth series (hi Guava, no I'm still not LPing Myth 2).

e: Age of Wonders is also a very good and very fun game that does not play at all fair with you later in the campaign. Thankfully you get many tools to be ridiculously unfair right back.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 7, 2018

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Corbeau posted:

I'm very interested in seeing Ground Control because I've never played it and I'd like to be able to compare with my favorite RTT games, the Myth series (hi Guava, no I'm still not LPing Myth 2).

Hi.

Looking back at the gaming peak of the late 90s, I remember the best being the X games - X-COM, Xeen and X-Wing. All LPs I've done or have done. Then it was MOO and Myth terms of time spent, so I'd be ok with MOO 2 or Ground Control because MOO2 is awesome and GC for the reason Corbeau said.

Oh yeah and Ultima 6 was pretty sweet too.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

uberkeyzer posted:

Seconding Warlords II. Alternatively, Castles:Siege and Conquest. You get to design your own castles and also finance a trip to find Prester John!!

Personally I'd say, if Warlords, do Warlords III, because that's the one where you can make custom factions, and it has a greater variety of units and items. It still plays more or less identical to the other two, just looks nicer and has more content.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Corbeau posted:

No need to qualify with “RTT”, Myth is the best series of all time. :colbert:

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I would love any of the Warlords games since I played one of them a bunch as a kid in the late 90s (iirc it came with my aunt's computer or something) but never fully understood it, unlike the MOO games where I think I was good enough to beat on hard.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I got a bit of a story with Ground Control so it's gotta have my vote. About 10-15 years ago I had a subscription to a German videogame magazine, and they had a free game each month, usually shovelware, but once: Ground Control. I was into RTS' back then, so I thought it might be right up my alley. Especially after I learned that it didn't feature any base building, because the "troops only" missions were always my favourite!

Turns out, I was and still am actually awful at RTS', because I mostly played Command & Conquer where "30+ tanks" is not only viable, but possibly the best strategy, and all the no-base missions are the same, but with less tanks (they're still the best because they have a higher range than the enemy turrets). Ground Control required actual strategy and I can't do that, so I got absolutely annihilated in the second mission and never returned :(.

One thing will always make me remember the game, though: it was fully dubbed in German, and in the intro, the female commander you play as gets recalled from retirement or something, and she says something like "guess you never forget how to command troops, it's like riding bikes", and the way she deadpan delivers "ist wie Radfahren" will always stick with me and I keep using it irl for "can't unlearn this skill".

sammage
Apr 12, 2008

Xenocides posted:

I want malpractice. Theme Hospital

Same. Also for my second vote: Master of Orion 2 (I loved it but I still welcome your criticism).

Thanks for an excellent LP. I've enjoyed reading every update! Brought back a lot of fond memories and got me to buy it off GOG to have another go.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Master of Orion 2, because I really enjoyed watching you play the first one and I'm very interested to read more of your opinions regarding it and how it does, and does not, measure up to it's predecessor.

Homeworld, because I love that game dearly, it holds a very special place in my heart. I'm not sure I'll ever tire of reading/watching LPs of it.

I'm not very familiar with most of the other suggestions, to be honest, so I think I'll just throw in Ground Control, largely because it's the one I've seen most mention of prior to this vote.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I'm going to vote Ground Control, Theme Hospital and Master of Orion 2.
The first two because I think it would be nice to have a modern quality LP of them and the latter because as you said it is the logical continuation of this LP and the format would lend itself well to both show it off while listening to your criticisms of it.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
For the next game why not the original XCom?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

radintorov posted:

I'm going to vote Ground Control, Theme Hospital and Master of Orion 2.
The first two because I think it would be nice to have a modern quality LP of them and the latter because as you said it is the logical continuation of this LP and the format would lend itself well to both show it off while listening to your criticisms of it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Lords of the Realm

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

BurningStone posted:

For the next game why not the original XCom

Does 'I'm fairly rubbish at XCOM' count as a reason? Of course that may be considered a feature instead of a bug, but I'm not at all confident I could actually complete it on a reasonably high difficulty. Which would mean a lot of 'research' -- aka getting better at the game before starting an LP of it. Which may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Honestly, I really like XCOM. I also think that Jade Star/Guava Moment's work on them are of such a high standard that it would almost be sacrilege to pollute things with what I'd come up with. But I'll definitely add it to the possibles.

Also, the lot of you are clearly going to make this a close vote and a tough decision. I like having that kind of problem.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 8, 2018

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

X-Piratez or something other in deep scene of OpenXCom total conversions, then?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Thotimx posted:

Does 'I'm fairly rubbish at XCOM' count as a reason? Of course that may be considered a feature instead of a bug, but I'm not at all confident I could actually complete it on a reasonably high difficulty. Which would mean a lot of 'research' -- aka getting better at the game before starting an LP of it. Which may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Honestly, I really like XCOM. I also think that Jade Star/Guava Moment's work on them are of such a high standard that it would almost be sacrilege to pollute things with what I'd come up with. But I'll definitely add it to the possibles.

Also, the lot of you are clearly going to make this a close vote and a tough decision. I like having that kind of problem.

There's also some of the X-COM homages that have easier learning curves - Xenonauts is amazing, for example and smooths out most of the UI/general weirdness issues X-COM had and is much, much easier to follow. And I've not -seen- a playthrough of it here.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
xenonauts has not had an LP on the forums and there's some pretty great tactics that you can wrench out of the game due to its updated gear pool at least. one of the strongest early game strategies for breaching areas is to go full on LAPD and equip soldiers with riot shields and stun sticks, so their shields eat the reaction fire from enemies and after that there's a lot of sickening crunches and blood flying while jacked up jackboots yell "stop resisting"

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Coolguye posted:

xenonauts has not had an LP on the forums and there's some pretty great tactics that you can wrench out of the game due to its updated gear pool at least. one of the strongest early game strategies for breaching areas is to go full on LAPD and equip soldiers with riot shields and stun sticks, so their shields eat the reaction fire from enemies and after that there's a lot of sickening crunches and blood flying while jacked up jackboots yell "stop resisting"

Also has a better UI and AI. Particularly if you use some of the mods like the Community Edition. And the game doesn't have -that- high nuts a learning curve if you're going the X-COM route. You do not, for example, have to transfer out all the random flares in your base out when a base attack is incoming to make sure your troops spawn with guns.

Also fun tactics involve SAWs. Early game just having two heavy machine guns behind cover and set to full reaction fire is a glorious, glorious thing sitting outside the UFO door when the alien plays peekaboo. Sure, it destroys everything in the breech but it is glorious.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Coolguye posted:

The main problem with Xenonauts is the end-game which, unless they patched it, has some issues. The rest of the game is fun, reasonably well-balanced, has neat options, fun enemies, decent writing, good art, etc.

But in the last part where, I refuse to let this count as a spoiler when this is an X-COM homage, you encounter the local Ethereal-alikes, it becomes severely annoying. Because they don't need line-of-sight to psionically attack your dudes, or even for any alien to have the dude they want to psi-attack in sight, so every round it's more or less a save-or-die against them mind controlling someone with a heavy weapon and having him gun down several of his unprotected allies from behind. It sounds like something they're fixing for Xenonauts 2, but I honestly experienced that once they Ethereal-esques popped up, I was spending more time saving and loading than anything else to get through a mission, because there really was no viable strategy beyond "gee, I sure hope my dudes pass their psionic defense saves."

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
In complete fairness the 'aliens screwing you over completely and utterly' is also an X-COM staple. Xenonauts merely does not give you the same methodology of screwing the aliens back as supremely effectively (you cannot get psionics, you do not get blaster bombs, your feeble attempts at blockinga lien mind screws shall fail faster than RNG $##!). Upside, your soldiesr aren't quite as prone to panic and fire a rocket launcher into your own troops. Cold comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

In order:
Freespace
Homeworld
Myth