Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Ayndin posted:

For magicites, with Godwall ‘all’ you need is a gen2 chain and you’ve got the major buffs handled, letting you take the healing RW if you want.

Core characters don’t get synergy in the neotorments so it won’t help you clear any D??? ones (unless they add a core one), and you get Wall by default in them so really it’s just a one stop shop for proshellhastega in 280 if you can’t fit them all in given the good relics you have in-realm.

Thanks.

Tyro and OK LMRs do the same thing. I am conflicted. I use OK PUSB for almost everything but that's no good in the mage magicites (mage-icites?).

Argh. I will probably just go with Tyro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm seriously considering getting Godwall and Tyro LMR in the dream draws. How useful would that be for all the nutorments and 5* magicites? I would obviously also LD Tyro.
Re: torments, you automatically get wall from Dr. Mog. Rikku USB1 has been my off-realm choice for 240s and 280s.

I haven’t put much time into the 5* magicite fights yet but I do have Tyro on my prospective teams. Wrath+Entrust for the physical team, Mage’s Hymn+Allegro for the mage team.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I decided to give the USB select banner a go so I could finally get a Bartz USB after spending so much mythril not getting it, and of course the pull itself gave me two dupes.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks.

Tyro and OK LMRs do the same thing. I am conflicted. I use OK PUSB for almost everything but that's no good in the mage magicites (mage-icites?).

Argh. I will probably just go with Tyro.

Godwall allows you to take Fabula Raider and if you give Tyro an Allegro Con Moto you can basically emulate OK mUSB anyway, plus the benefits of Godwall.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zurai posted:

I didn't say "it's only a ssb :smug:" so gently caress off with that putting words in my mouth poo poo. Context. I was referring to how old it is. Seriously, Edge's SSB2 is loving ancient, and so is Rosa's USB.

And yes, Rosa's USB is very outdated now. It's your best choice for FF4 healer relic but it's not even in the list of best healer relics in general now.

And even taking all your objections as gospel, it STILL doesn't amount to "a ton" of relics.

It doesn't matter how many relics it is, because you don't know what my relic situation is, so being all "WELL ACTUALLY it's easy if you have X Y and Z relics" isn't helpful. You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. The RM thing doesn't even help because it just means giving another character a lovely RM, and you still have the problem of having to time the jump perfectly.

I appreciate you trying to give advice, but the way you give it is honestly kind of rude.

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

"WELL ACTUALLY it's easy if you have X Y and Z relics"
It is sure easier to have the right X Y and Z relics for a fight if you have a lot of really good relics.

I'm starting to wonder if they'll just put Edge SSB2 on a gem selection banner instead of a mythril one.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Godwall allows you to take Fabula Raider and if you give Tyro an Allegro Con Moto you can basically emulate OK mUSB anyway, plus the benefits of Godwall.

I was real close to just outright picking OK mUSB but thinking about it for replies and reading stuff here has swung it back to much more even. Tyro means easy buffs forever (though for physical torments I have Quina USB which is arguably a better choice?), but OK could actually contribute to Mage DPS and thus run alongside another support with a MAG buff, which they usually want (and also it’s not the hyper common ATK/MAG buff).

Choices are tough, man.

Also re: FFIV torment - won’t we eventually get the ‘fix’ to jumps that cause them to respect things that don’t take up in-battle time? Not saying ‘wait for a bug fix’ is a good solution and it’ll only make the timing slightly easier anyway, but it’s a thing I guess?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Generalissimo posted:

It is sure easier to have the right X Y and Z relics for a fight if you have a lot of really good relics.

I'm starting to wonder if they'll just put Edge SSB2 on a gem selection banner instead of a mythril one.

Haven't we been supposed to have been getting SSB Selects with Crystal Tower releases for a while now? But they've fallen into the JP > GL void.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Generalissimo posted:

I really hope they do. Some of the old SSB select draws offered Tyro and Y'shtola's Unique Wall SBs, so I don't see why they couldn't just throw it in on a BSB or OSB select just because.

I'm also hoping since support Glints are around SSB level in strength, maybe they can make an Edge SSB equivalent Glint. Dr. Mog has a Glint Wall now so it could happen.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

pichupal posted:

I'm also hoping since support Glints are around SSB level in strength, maybe they can make an Edge SSB equivalent Glint. Dr. Mog has a Glint Wall now so it could happen.

Rosa gets an 0CT Magic Blink + Hastega Glint at some point so I'm sure it's possible.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fister Roboto posted:

It doesn't matter how many relics it is, because you don't know what my relic situation is, so being all "WELL ACTUALLY it's easy if you have X Y and Z relics" isn't helpful. You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. The RM thing doesn't even help because it just means giving another character a lovely RM, and you still have the problem of having to time the jump perfectly.

I appreciate you trying to give advice, but the way you give it is honestly kind of rude.

I didn't say that at all, so whatever. I said that Calcabrina is designed to be four-manned. And to be very loving blunt, no, I don't know your relic situation, but I can safely assume that A) if you're seriously trying d??? Calcabrina, you have good FF4 relics (because there's zero point in making serious attempts at any d??? neo torment without good relics for the realm) or B) you're doing d280 Calcabrina, where you can just bring two off-realm characters and you can stick your buffbot in slot 1 because they do their job in the first few seconds of the fight and so it doesn't matter if they die.

d280 Calcabrina doesn't require any in-realm relics to beat. You can win entirely using Edge as a ninja, PCecil as an Assault Saber bot, and Yang or Ursula with whatever monk poo poo you want to give them. d??? Calcabrina requires mostly defensive relics, which is different from the majority of d??? neo torments which require both offensive and defensive relics. THAT was my point, but you chose to focus entirely on things I didn't even say. Talk about rude...

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Ayndin posted:

I was real close to just outright picking OK mUSB but thinking about it for replies and reading stuff here has swung it back to much more even. Tyro means easy buffs forever (though for physical torments I have Quina USB which is arguably a better choice?), but OK could actually contribute to Mage DPS and thus run alongside another support with a MAG buff, which they usually want (and also it’s not the hyper common ATK/MAG buff).

As the proud owner of Edward's "basically OK's mUSB" USB, the main difference between OK and Edward/Tyro/Other Buffers is what happens after the buff. Tyro and Edward are basically pure support (bard buffs, allegro, off-heal, entrust-bot), whereas OK can do the non-bard support, but is also a competent magic DPS because he has a dual-cast black LM, gets bonus magic damage from his USB, and has non-poo poo stats.

As a point of reference, I had to kick Tyro with his USB3 off my Quetz team because I was running out of hones with "only" 3 DPSes (admittedly, I stubbornly refuse to hone above R4 for anything). I seriously underestimated how tanky these 5* magicite are.

My shortlist for the USB pick is OK mUSB, Vivi, and Bartz, and I'm really not sure which way to go.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Zurai posted:

I didn't say that at all, so whatever. I said that Calcabrina is designed to be four-manned. And to be very loving blunt, no, I don't know your relic situation, but I can safely assume that A) if you're seriously trying d??? Calcabrina, you have good FF4 relics (because there's zero point in making serious attempts at any d??? neo torment without good relics for the realm) or B) you're doing d280 Calcabrina, where you can just bring two off-realm characters and you can stick your buffbot in slot 1 because they do their job in the first few seconds of the fight and so it doesn't matter if they die.

d280 Calcabrina doesn't require any in-realm relics to beat. You can win entirely using Edge as a ninja, PCecil as an Assault Saber bot, and Yang or Ursula with whatever monk poo poo you want to give them. d??? Calcabrina requires mostly defensive relics, which is different from the majority of d??? neo torments which require both offensive and defensive relics. THAT was my point, but you chose to focus entirely on things I didn't even say. Talk about rude...
Top Ten Digital Life Hacks, #3: have you considered not swearing at people over gacha game tactics?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What setups have people been using for the new Infernal+ encounter? Jumbo Flan wasn't nearly as demanding as Kaiser Dragon, and yet the routes for victory were narrower. The boss has a solid 1 million DEF, which naturally shuts down any physical party besides janky setups with Cloud USB1 and a piercing ability, but the periodic casting of Reflect also rules out a lot of BLK attacks besides BSB commands. In theory you can dispel that, but in practice it will prompt the Jumbo Flan to instead self-heal for ~30K HP every three turns.

In my case I used Relm/Tyro/Yuna/Exdeath/Raines for a dark-imperil setup. The nice thing was that buffing RES and debuffing its MAG was actually viable here to blunt Infernal Ultima, so I didn't have to completely rely on tossing gauge at someone who spammed a Last Stand SB. (I still used Yuna USB1 for insurance but most of the time I relied on her USB2 for reasonable damage.)

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

eelmonger posted:

As the proud owner of Edward's "basically OK's mUSB" USB, the main difference between OK and Edward/Tyro/Other Buffers is what happens after the buff. Tyro and Edward are basically pure support (bard buffs, allegro, off-heal, entrust-bot), whereas OK can do the non-bard support, but is also a competent magic DPS because he has a dual-cast black LM, gets bonus magic damage from his USB, and has non-poo poo stats.

As a point of reference, I had to kick Tyro with his USB3 off my Quetz team because I was running out of hones with "only" 3 DPSes (admittedly, I stubbornly refuse to hone above R4 for anything). I seriously underestimated how tanky these 5* magicite are.

My shortlist for the USB pick is OK mUSB, Vivi, and Bartz, and I'm really not sure which way to go.

Yeah, I’d alluded to this in an earlier post. It’s a lot of what makes it so attractive, that he can provide a buff and still be Mr. Affliction Break (or protectga or whatever) and carry Meltdown/Voltech and still do some work.

Re: quetz, do you have an earth chain in your party for him? I’d heard the 5* fights are very grueling without one (still working on 4*s) but if we’re talking 16+ turns with...yikes.

Vivi was a strong contender for my list, but I pulled Maria USB on banner 1 so my thirst for a Mage double is a little dated. Still an excellent choice, especially if you’re light on mages for other elements. Bartz USB1 is horrifying if you’ve got chains and ok otherwise, and he also slots into several elements well. I’d say OK mUSB is probably third choice here given your having Edward’s, but if that’s not cutting it maybe you’ll want that?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I tried Quetz for the first time and got completely plowed under. Pretty sure I need 2 healers. My team is:

Ingus with his chain and some earth abilities

Bartz with his USB and a couple dirt quadstrikes

Edge with his SSB and dirt ninja abilities

Tyro with Godwall and LMR and LD and all that. Entrust bot setup

Selphie or Aerith or whoever with their USB

Full 4* magicite stack with full inheritance on everything: Shell Dragon/Catastrophe/Catastrophe/Evrae/Evrae

Everyone has lightning resist accessories

I open with Godwall and chain but I the damage output from Quetz is way too hard and fast to keep up with so I think I might bring Aerith with her USB and LD as well but I'm not sure who to drop. Or could I just turn Tyro into the second healer after popping off Godwall?

I also considered replacing Edge with Ignis since his BSB commands are the new hotness and would help break the damage cap.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. :tipshat:

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 7, 2018

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Apologies for the long post, but I was hoping people wouldn't mind giving me advice.

I'm jumping back into FFRK after like a year and a half away. The last time I played was the second FFT banner with Ophelia and Mustadio. At the time I had a pretty kickass team -- Ramza with Shout and his BSB, Agrias with Cleaning Strike and Hallowed Bolt, Zidane and Cloud both with their BSBs, and Realm with Portrait of Lakshmi. Those five, plus Rinoa occasionally for mass trash wiping on elites, was getting me through almost all of the content, but I got burned out because I got tired of most battles boiling down to just keeping Grimoire and Shout up for 100% of the fight.

It sounds like things have changed so I'm hopping back in, but whoo boy is it overwhelming. I'm guessing my old team is virtually worthless now, but I'm a little lost as to what's good now, what the meta is, what buffs/soul breaks are good (is ultra always better than overdrive? is burst always better than super?), and how I should generally be building my party.

Currently, my immediate goal right now is to blast through as many missing normal Realm dungeons as I can (and then elite) while they're still half stamina, and pull on all of the 5 mythril Parade banners. Is there anything else I should be keeping an eye out on? What should I aim for next once I finish that and/or the half stamina thing ends?

In terms of abilities, my inventory is almost full but I'm sitting on a bunch of 3* and 4* crap that used to be good way back in the day (although I do have a decently buffed Full Break, Thief's Revenge, and Saint's Cross). Should I hang onto this stuff or dump most of it eventually? What are the current good 5* abilities I should be angling to make immediately, and is there anything in the 3/4 range worth keeping or can I eventually shatter it all?

Finally, in terms of my team, I'm not sure if I should be using my current old-rear end team or trying to build a new one around the new 6* relics I've been pulling in. Previously most combats were just getting Shout and Wall up, casing protect and shell, keeping breaks up, and then having all the attackers I had spam lifesiphon so they could use SBs. That's probably not a thing anymore -- what's the general party setup? Is it still three physical attackers, a mage, and a healer?

My current team (with generic setup) looks like this:

So far, the new stuff I've pulled last night and this morning include:

Rapha's Ultra Weapon
Sarah's Ultra Weapon
Laguna's Ultra Weapon
Lightning's Ultra Weapon

Rem's Overstrike Weapon
Zidane's Overstrike Weapon
Tifa's Overstrike Weapon

Dorgann's Legend Materia (?) Weapon

Mog's BSB Weapon
Kain's BSB Weapon
Gogo (V)'s BSB Weapon
Wakka's BSB Armor

Red XIII's Super Weapon
Orlandu's Super Weapon

Should I build a new party from scratch with whoever has the best 6*s I pulled or do I still have a very strong original party? It it worth shoving a character who I have an Ultra in for at the expense of almost everything else as long as I keep a decent team comp?

Finally, I'm willing to pony up for one (but only one) of the Autumn Dream Draws under the logic that if I had kept playing all these years I would have spent that on dollar pulls. Are any of them actually worth it or is it just a big scam?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get a handle on all this new stuff and I'm hoping to get caught up as efficiently as possible. Thanks!

Aerox fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 7, 2018

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Ayndin posted:

Re: quetz, do you have an earth chain in your party for him? I’d heard the 5* fights are very grueling without one (still working on 4*s) but if we’re talking 16+ turns with...yikes.

Vivi was a strong contender for my list, but I pulled Maria USB on banner 1 so my thirst for a Mage double is a little dated. Still an excellent choice, especially if you’re light on mages for other elements. Bartz USB1 is horrifying if you’ve got chains and ok otherwise, and he also slots into several elements well. I’d say OK mUSB is probably third choice here given your having Edward’s, but if that’s not cutting it maybe you’ll want that?

This was actually with Galuf's chain. I had Galuf CSB and SSB2, LD Cinque USB, LD Edge SSB, Tyro USB3, and Aerith USB2 and I was just running out of steam. I had assumed Cinque USB would be enough to carry me, but was quickly proven wrong. I swapped Tyro for TG Cid with USB and that got me a sub60 but it still requires some precise last stand juggling. Bartz or Tifa USB would probably make things much easier but I got my wins so I'm happy.

I don't have chains for Bartz's other elements except water and I plan to Khmari cheese that. So maybe he's not the top choice. If went OK, he'd probably be 3rd DPS and Tyro would be an entrust bot. If I went Vivi, he'd be 3rd DPS and Tyro would be a bard buffer to get my 2nd faithga in. So it kinda seems like it's down to who's going to do more damage: OK under mUSB or Vivi under USB. I think Vivi wins that, but it would give Tyro less flexibility. Ug, choices.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Aerox posted:

Returning after a year and a half break stuff

Hoo boy. I have some good and bad news for you. Incoming word vomit...

The good news is that there’s a lot of new stuff! Chains are a new kind of SB that make all hits meeting a criteria - a certain element, or an attack from a character of a certain realm - do increasingly more damage. Ultras are like more powerful supers, and tend to give the character a number of powerful effects, like quickcast whenever they use a particular school or breaking the damage limit on all attacks. Overstrikes are single big hits that can go over 9999, and arcane overstrikes are even stronger, doing typically three limit-breaking hits, but they cost three SB bars (they divided the SB bars - most SBs take two bars now, but it’s the same amount of gauge as before) and can only be used once a fight. Glints cost one bar, are usually instant, and do something specific to help the character - a buff to their favorite school or en-element or something.

Legend materia relics give that character a legend materia, which they’ll have slots for if they’re over 65, and add various (usually) helpful bonuses, like a chance to doublecast or starting the fight with an en-element. They’re alternatives to using the legend materia you get for legend diving a character, which is a thing you can do with special 5* motes after finishing their 3* and 4* record dive. This gives them a bunch of stats and boosts (usually a status resistance, a boost to their primary throughput eg spellblade for Bartz) and two legend materia. There’s also a materia system, which are a bunch of things you get for clearing elemental-oriented fights that give your team assorted passive boosts, and you can even set one to be summoned during battle to do stuff on entry and for a while after. There’s more stuff but that’s the dime store highlights I think.

The bad news: despite this, a lot of stuff is still the same - you still tend to follow the ‘get up buffs, get your murder on’ pattern, it just is more compressed due to all the power creep from the above. The biggest change is probably the depreciation of support characters as much of the highest end content is very heavily resistant to breaks, but they still find work. There tend to be a lot of status or dispel wrinkles to high-end fights nowadays because ‘a lot of damage’ is frequently less of an issue with the powerful healing tools available. I’m not saying ‘same thing, bigger numbers’, but it’s not shifted that much in how things work in a general sense outside of adding a bunch of extra systems that need to be worked.

eelmonger posted:

This was actually with Galuf's chain. I had Galuf CSB and SSB2, LD Cinque USB, LD Edge SSB, Tyro USB3, and Aerith USB2 and I was just running out of steam. I had assumed Cinque USB would be enough to carry me, but was quickly proven wrong. I swapped Tyro for TG Cid with USB and that got me a sub60 but it still requires some precise last stand juggling. Bartz or Tifa USB would probably make things much easier but I got my wins so I'm happy.

I don't have chains for Bartz's other elements except water and I plan to Khmari cheese that. So maybe he's not the top choice. If went OK, he'd probably be 3rd DPS and Tyro would be an entrust bot. If I went Vivi, he'd be 3rd DPS and Tyro would be a bard buffer to get my 2nd faithga in. So it kinda seems like it's down to who's going to do more damage: OK under mUSB or Vivi under USB. I think Vivi wins that, but it would give Tyro less flexibility. Ug, choices.

Once I get there I’m assuming I’ll be running Ingus for chain/BSB2, LD Cinque with USB, and LD Bartz with USB1/Glint/ASB, plus probably USB Quina (over Ramza because ability slots) and USB/LD Elarra. I think that should manage? I’d love to fit in my complete Kelger because he’s a horrifying chain-building monster but I don’t see that happening unless the Galuf chain falls in my lap somehow.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I tried Quetz for the first time and got completely plowed under. Pretty sure I need 2 healers. My team is:

Ingus with his chain and some earth abilities

Bartz with his USB and a couple dirt quadstrikes

Edge with his SSB and dirt ninja abilities

Tyro with Godwall and LMR and LD and all that. Entrust bot setup

Selphie or Aerith or whoever with their USB

Full 4* magicite stack with full inheritance on everything: Shell Dragon/Catastrophe/Catastrophe/Evrae/Evrae

Everyone has lightning resist accessories

I open with Godwall and chain but I the damage output from Quetz is way too hard and fast to keep up with so I think I might bring Aerith with her USB and LD as well but I'm not sure who to drop. Or could I just turn Tyro into the second healer after popping off Godwall?

I also considered replacing Edge with Ignis since his BSB commands are the new hotness and would help break the damage cap.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. :tipshat:

Off the bat, unless you forgot to write down Bartz's OSB, I don't see how you're breaking savage mode, which is basically mandatory for Quetz. edit: Unless it's Bartz's 2nd USB, but that seems hard to time right.

Assuming you have that, your composition sounds similar to mine, so maybe you can go with a last stand strategy too? You actually have 3 sources so you'd probably have an easier time than I do. I literally have to have the turn order in front of me so I can see when I have to last stand next and whose last stand I should use. For example, Aeirth's is better when there's a regular tundaga or something coming up because her heal will let everyone survive it, buying me an extra turn (although I think I need to use Wall as my RW for that to work, and you're probably using Raider). Edge also acts like a second healer because he can blink most/all of the physical stuff (but make sure you don't waste it on the gravity attacks), which also has the bonus of not needing protectga at all.

Unfortunately, I don't have much advise on a "normal" strategy since I gave up on that pretty quick. My Tyro was entrusting Aerith, which kept me alive, but I didn't have the damage to exploit my aliveness.

eelmonger fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 7, 2018

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Aerox posted:

Apologies for the long post, but I was hoping people wouldn't mind giving me advice.

Starting off, the meta now is generally 2 characters with Ultra + 5*/6* abilities for dps, a healer, a flex spot, and a buffer (Ramza is still great for this - shout isn't top tier anymore but it's still Good Enough to get you through stuff). I assume the BSB you have is his first one - he later got a BSB2 that is basically Shout with commands. Most BSB's though can be useful for helping you catch up while you craft 5* skills and eventually 6*'s but won't be enough for the hardest content. SSB's are mostly outdated and not used, with some notable exceptions (like Shout if you don't have a better version). Overstrikes were an ill-thought out addition, they have their uses sometimes but they are few and far between, being just raw damage capped at 99999 isn't strong enough when you can have characters double-casting 5-hit skills for the same damage every turn.

The Ultras you pulled are all fine I think, Sarah's isn't what you want out of a healer USB really but it's a decent buff for now, Lightning with quad thunderstrike will likely be your top DPS for a while (IIRC though you have to unlock her record spheres to use 5* spellblades - if you dont have motes, look into doing the MP events each week, ask for help in the discord if you need to). Mog and Wakka's bsb's are also decent enough for support duties.

In general, grinding out realms for mythril and a big supply of major orbs is the first priority, but make sure to do each weekly event as high as you can manage for those extra rewards. You should be able to manage up to 120 pretty easily with good RW's, 140 with a bit of effort, maybe even 180's once you get the hang of things again, 220+ will probably be out of reach for a while I imagine. Don't feel too bad about missing event stuff, the events should come back eventually when they re-do Renewal dungeons where you can go back to every previous weekly event. And don't forget the fest events, there's a lot of free mythril and orbs in there, and you may want to do each of the Power-up events once to collect all those first-time reward orbs + crystals. Lastly, work on clearing out the Acolyte Archives missions, you'll get a bunch of free ssb's/bsb's from there, which can help you fill gaps in your buffs/healing coverage (there's some good offensive choices too). This will eventually lead you towards doing the Nightmare dungeons, if you haven't already.

Skills-wise, most of the 4* and lower stuff is useless now, other than Protectga/Shellga/Lifesiphon/Wrath and some other exceptions - you don't have to crush em all now, but any offensive skill that was a single hit is basically garbo, unless it also provided a buff like Punishing Palm or Memento Mori. The 4* breakdowns also do get used too of course, and you'll probably need some of the skills for certain realm dungeon or Nightmare dungeon mastery requirements. Early on you'll want to focus on 5* skills for your strongest characters, then broadly useful ones - Barrage and Full Charge aren't very GOOD skills, but almost every single offensive phys character can at least equip them and do something, and rank 2 isn't too expensive. Someone will jump up and shout THOSE SKILLS ARE TERRIBLE, and they are, but they're good enough for your point in the game. After that, Black Magic and Spellblades are hugely versatile skillsets that a lot of characters use, so making one of each of those abilities to rank 2 is a good investment - I'm at the point where I have two copies of each of them at rank 3. Getting into the Other tab is where you'll find the less common stuff, here it'll come down to which characters you have to decide where to start, Knights are very common though so Assault Saber and Earth Saber will likely see a lot of use. Dancer stuff is good too, if you end up using Mog a lot for magic teams he would love Multi Break / Enfeebling Jitterbug / Crushing Tango.

Oh, and when you get tired of realms or run outta stamina, the Record dungeons are an interesting secondary story area with a bunch of mythril and some 'water' to boost the stats of your characters, where none of your lack of stuff matters. Check it out, some of the cutscenes are pretty well done!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You don't have any lightning resist magicite. Definitely put Earth Guardian or Catastrophe in the main slot, as their active effect will mitigate damage too. The imperil from Shell Dragon is nice, but if you're having trouble staying alive it's not worth it. Also you'll get better overall stats for having a 4* main magicite.

Which Aeris USB do you have? If it's her second one, Innocent Cure, definitely bring that because it's a dps boost as well. Don't try to make Tyro a second healer, because he'd only be able to do single target heals. With one exception all of Quetz's attacks are party-wide, so single target heals just aren't worth the turn. BSB medica commands are actually really good in this case. If you're using Godwall, then you can use Fabula Healer for your RW.

Whether you bring a second healer or not really depends on your hones and damage output. Unlike torments, there's no reward for only getting halfway, so if you run out of hones before it's dead then the second healer isn't worth it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

eelmonger posted:

Off the bat, unless you forgot to write down Bartz's OSB, I don't see how you're breaking savage mode, which is basically mandatory for Quetz. edit: Unless it's Bartz's 2nd USB, but that seems hard to time right.

Assuming you have that, your composition sounds similar to mine, so maybe you can go with a last stand strategy too? You actually have 3 sources so you'd probably have an easier time than I do. I literally have to have the turn order in front of me so I can see when I have to last stand next and whose last stand I should use. For example, Aeirth's is better when there's a regular tundaga or something coming up because her heal will let everyone survive it, buying me an extra turn (although I think I need to use Wall as my RW for that to work, and you're probably using Raider). Edge also acts like a second healer because he can blink most/all of the physical stuff (but make sure you don't waste it on the gravity attacks), which also has the bonus of not needing protectga at all.

Unfortunately, I don't have much advise on a "normal" strategy since I gave up on that pretty quick. My Tyro was entrusting Aerith, which kept me alive, but I didn't have the damage to exploit my aliveness.

Fister Roboto posted:

You don't have any lightning resist magicite. Definitely put Earth Guardian or Catastrophe in the main slot, as their active effect will mitigate damage too. The imperil from Shell Dragon is nice, but if you're having trouble staying alive it's not worth it. Also you'll get better overall stats for having a 4* main magicite.

Which Aeris USB do you have? If it's her second one, Innocent Cure, definitely bring that because it's a dps boost as well. Don't try to make Tyro a second healer, because he'd only be able to do single target heals. With one exception all of Quetz's attacks are party-wide, so single target heals just aren't worth the turn. BSB medica commands are actually really good in this case. If you're using Godwall, then you can use Fabula Healer for your RW.

Whether you bring a second healer or not really depends on your hones and damage output. Unlike torments, there's no reward for only getting halfway, so if you run out of hones before it's dead then the second healer isn't worth it.

I forgot to bring Bartz OSB :doh: That will help a lot.

I'll try Catastrophe as my main magicite. With my newest team build I wasn't having as much of a problem with surviving as before so I think I can do this with Selphie and Tyro healing. I just know that I'm missing out on DPS in some obvious way. If I'm not using Tyro as a 2nd healer what should I be doing with him? His stats suck but I guess an earth damage that increases the chain would be helpful to others.

My Aerith USB is her first. It's still excellent and I LD'd her but for now I think Selphie is a better choice because of the Last Stand USB. I also realized that I'm going to probably need to hone Curada to R5. :negative:

For RW I'm using Raider just because I feel like even the moderate ATK boost helps. I might be wrong. I also only have 1 +earth weapon, although all my DPS goons have +earth armor.

Oh, another question: I saw on reddit the breaks are actually useful in 5* magicites now. Is that true? If so I could easily fit dances on Selphie and Tyro.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 7, 2018

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Thanks a ton!

I used my one Mem Crystal 3 and took Lightning to 99, and now I'm working on getting dexterity motes to unlock 5* spellblade. Also broke Sarah to 80 and egged her.

Running Lightning, Laguna, Agrias, Ramza, and Sarah for now.

Any good Gunner skills I should be looking at for Laguna? I have a Level 1 Bio Grenade and that's it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Follow up: Here's the damage I've done after 35s

I have no idea why I'm not doing more damage. :confused:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Having Tyro entrust bot to your healer (or your dps if you don't need healing) is always a good idea. Like I said, single-target heals aren't very useful, so it's best to rely on medica commands or SBs.

You've also got a lot of redundant parts. Between Godwall, Edge SSB, and Fabula Raider you have three different hastegas when you only need one. Using Fabula Healer instead of Raider is definitely the better choice. If you need the ATK buff you should try to squeeze it in elsewhere (Butz's USB1 gives him one if that's the one you're using). You also have two different sources of Last Stand. Unless you're staggering them and letting each one pop, then you're wasting them. Don't think of Last Stand as a "just in case" thing, think of it as "I don't need to heal before the next attack". Also consider replacing Evrae with Hades if you're going to rely on Last Stand a lot.

Breaks are slightly more effective for 5* magicite - 30% vs 20%. In my opinion it's still not worth bringing a dedicated breaker. Selphie has 5* dancer access now though, so giving her Multibreak and Enfeebling Jitterbug is a great idea. It would definitely be a lot more useful than spamming Curadas.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 7, 2018

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Well, I found out the hard way that yes, dire heal can be reflected.

I also found out the hard way that if I try to be cute and get around a reflect by casting dire heal on a reflected character, that it will tend to dual cast, and guess what? The second cast hits the Flan!

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Follow up: Here's the damage I've done after 35s

Quetz takes noticeably reduced damage while in savage mode, which is indicated by the cloudy yellow aura around the boss. Looks like you’re not breaking savage with an overflow attack.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

You also have two different sources of Last Stand. Unless you're staggering them and letting each one pop, then you're wasting them. Don't think of Last Stand as a "just in case" thing, think of it as "I don't need to heal before the next attack". Also consider replacing Evrae with Hades if you're going to rely on Last Stand a lot.

Ingus+Edge+Selphie is 3 sources, hence my recommendation to lean all the way into it. I was assuming Aerith USB2, but I think most of what I said still applies. With three sources, an entruster, and Edge's blink you should be able to survive a LONG time, but you need the damage to back it up.

Elephant Ambush posted:

5* magicite are tanky as gently caress and only have 20% weakness. It was a rude awakening for me too. Imperils can help if you can fit them in. You also only have a 30% boostga, which might not be enough for Ingus and Edge. How's your earth+ equipment?

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Quetz takes noticeably reduced damage while in savage mode, which is indicated by the cloudy yellow aura around the boss. Looks like you’re not breaking savage with an overflow attack.

He always has a cloudy aura around him, savage mode is an expanding circle thing at his feet.

eelmonger fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 8, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I used Bartz OSB to break savage mode no problem and I have no problems healing either. I just can't do enough damage before my hones run out. Should I start using more BSBs?

I'll try healing medica BSB commands but it really doesn't seem like healing 1500hp per character is enough to keep up with all the crazy damage output.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Aerox posted:

Thanks a ton!

I used my one Mem Crystal 3 and took Lightning to 99, and now I'm working on getting dexterity motes to unlock 5* spellblade. Also broke Sarah to 80 and egged her.

Running Lightning, Laguna, Agrias, Ramza, and Sarah for now.

Any good Gunner skills I should be looking at for Laguna? I have a Level 1 Bio Grenade and that's it.

Laguna can use Machinist and Sharpshooter I believe, and is ice focused so Icicle shot, Freezing Snipe and Frost Offering are all options. Icicle shot has a higher multiplier when using a ranged weapon but at 4 hits it will cap 9999's a lot easier, freezing snipe can do 6 hits so it has a much higher damage potential. Frost offering is mainly to try to apply an imperil debuff which makes enemies take more damage from ice, which can be useful but the chance is like 1 in 3 so you're wasting time if it doesn't proc. Good when you're using a full ice team though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

After burning out on yet another game after less than a week (Dragalia Lost), I think I know why FFRK's easy to stick with. There's no grind. Sure you can keep fighting the same magicites over and over looking for a drop, and churning through all the realm dungeons can be a bit of a slog, but in general things are built to be cleared once. So many games have events where they want to keep you coming back all week, so there's various tiers of battles that give a trickle of bafmodads, and then you redeem those for the loot you actually want. FFRK, even the music hall events that do that tune it so that if you clear everything once you can buy the lot. Even the things that could be a grind, like leveling up new characters or honing abilities, they've added power-up dungeons to make that significantly easier. So it becomes a bit of a chore, but not something you need to constantly slog through.

FFRK is a game that I find it easy to not play, pretty much. I can tune in, knock off a few levels before bed, and they stay done. If I want to do more, tackle one of my current obstacles/goals, I can, but I don't have to worry about 12 daily resetting stages or people dropping team-up groups because I use THIS 4-star water attacker instead of THAT 4-star water attacker. I never feel like I NEED to log in to deal with timers or stamina refill (aside from when I was burning through all those retro dungeons).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I used Bartz OSB to break savage mode no problem and I have no problems healing either. I just can't do enough damage before my hones run out. Should I start using more BSBs?

I'll try healing medica BSB commands but it really doesn't seem like healing 1500hp per character is enough to keep up with all the crazy damage output.

BSB commands are going to be garbage for damage in 5* fights, they do like half the damage of 6* abilities, plus there's the opportunity cost of using a BSB instead of a USB. Honestly there's no pressing need to beat 5* magicite right now, since keystones aren't a thing anymore. They're not going away any time soon.

Also put Siren in your magicite deck (+mind and +healing) and BSB medicas will heal for at least 2500 on a decent healer. Healing one character to full with Curada doesn't mean much when your whole party is taking a few thousand damage per turn.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Aerox posted:

Finally, I'm willing to pony up for one (but only one) of the Autumn Dream Draws under the logic that if I had kept playing all these years I would have spent that on dollar pulls. Are any of them actually worth it or is it just a big scam?

I'd say the Ultra one is worth doing under most circumstances as there are a ton of useful USBs that you could benefit from, but narrowing it down to a single specific choice is pretty hard. Most people seem to prioritize Onion Knight's magic USB on the logic that it won't ever really be powercreeped because it's an useful buff with a rare stat combination, but there are a ton of other options as well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I wish there was a way of reading descriptions of the new 6* abilities in game? I haven't bought any yet but it would be nice to be able to check which ones are which while trying to determine my priorities

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

If you're a brand new player, what's the time expectancy to be playing end(ish) game stuff? Is it a year or two to build up and power up your dudes, or is it more like a month or two?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

fridge corn posted:

I wish there was a way of reading descriptions of the new 6* abilities in game? I haven't bought any yet but it would be nice to be able to check which ones are which while trying to determine my priorities
Go to Create Abilities, sort by Rarity (Desc.), and hold down on a skill you don't have the materials for. They're all in there even if you can't afford their ruby cost yet.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Funso Banjo posted:

If you're a brand new player, what's the time expectancy to be playing end(ish) game stuff? Is it a year or two to build up and power up your dudes, or is it more like a month or two?

I'd say maybe 2-4 months to be knocking at the doors of endgame content, if playing optimally and being reasonably lucky with pulls. Considerably more to reach the current highest levels of content, since that stuff is extremely tough even for vets

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

Took me about 6 months for 3* magicites, a couple more months for 4*. The current top (5* and neo torments) even some vets aren’t clearing yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

I've been playing for a couple of months, and just finished all the Nightmares this weekend. The fest helped a lot with throwing relics and orbs at me.

Magicites splatter me into the ground incredibly quickly though.