Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Putting the Steering Gear 2 mod onto Hood really improves her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Putting the Steering Gear 2 mod onto Hood really improves her.

don't forget the detonation flag :ohdear:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

don't forget the detonation flag :ohdear:

No poo poo. Also the comsumable, fire, and flooding time reducers and the repair buffer. But Steering Gear 2 reduces her worst feature, which is her massive turning radius, so it's worth giving up DC 2 for it.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

It doesn't actually reduce the turning radius, just the turning response.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Rorac posted:

So I got the Jervis. As for a short trip report.

2: Holy poo poo those shell arcs. At 10+km I'm not firing guns, I'm firing loving mortars. American shells don't arc like this.

They DO arc like that, though. HMS DDs have only very slightly faster muzzle velocity than US DD's. Like... 10-20m/s more. So they're US arcs.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Don't RN shells lose velocity faster though? I mean I've got a Mahan, I've played up to the same tier in USN and they don't feel the same to me.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Yeah, RN shells are lighter so they probably drop their velocity a bit faster. They've also got a small touch more range, so that might be influencing it as well. That said, you've got some confirmation bias that might be going on as well. Try taking both of them into the testing room things and timing your shots at different ranges and seeing what the results actually look like.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hazdoc posted:

They DO arc like that, though. HMS DDs have only very slightly faster muzzle velocity than US DD's. Like... 10-20m/s more. So they're US arcs.

Muzzle velocity isn't as important as people assume. The US DDs are (barely) faster even at 5 km, and there's a noticeable difference closer to maximum range.

It's easy to notice going from tier 7 to 8 on the PA DD line.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Just had probably my best round of ranked. Been having a lot of fun in the Massachusetts lately. Not huge damage numbers. But success is success.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mass was awesome for me in ranked. The problem is that the ranked at T8 is so damned short that I got booted out to T10 (which I don't have) in only 12 games, which was pretty frustrating because I was really enjoying myself.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
Can someone in UNCUT please rebuild the buildings when you have time? Is Sparkledance our leader? he's been offline 78 days.
We have 77k oil, and the xp stuff would be great.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Catpants McStabby posted:

Can someone in UNCUT please rebuild the buildings when you have time? Is Sparkledance our leader? he's been offline 78 days.
We have 77k oil, and the xp stuff would be great.

The XP stuff is a bit pants, as the bonus is tiny compared to flags and cammos, go for the more coal/steel and reduced repair costs first.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
If you guys are applying to BOATC, be sure to say so in this topic. Maybe even ping me or Shep in discord to get accepted. There's been a couple of randos that have been declined recently and I don't want it to be some poor goon who is being too quiet. We don't have the space for anyone but goons here~

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
What is Sparkledancer’s SA name? Is it the same?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

FYI, you can get 10 sovereigns for $1 on the store. IIRC you'll need to buy at least 2 to get the Cossack if you're doing the missions.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
But, just to note, all guineas after that first 10 are a buck a piece.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Blindeye posted:

But, just to note, all guineas after that first 10 are a buck a piece.

Correct.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I know the Algerie doesn't have the greatest AA, but come on... T8 CV Lexington is attacking a Normandie that I decided to try to protect. He hits the BB with two full air strikes (so 2 x dive bombers and 1 x Torpedo it seems) and both times he attacks I'm in the shortest range of my AA and have a fighter up as well as DFAA both times... I shot down 1 airplane. What the gently caress.. just going to switch back to Acoustic since clearly DFAA is completely useless.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
The panic radius is always useful in long range spammer ships. I use DFAA on everything except german cruisers.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
If Pseudophile or anyone could transfer/give me officer rights for UNCUT I can do all the building stuff.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, Algerie has the worst AA suite of all the T7 cruisers, bar none (the tech tree ones, at least). You might outperform a Yorck or Fiji due to a potential lack of DFAA on them, but all the others outdo you. It's really not a great ship for plane defense against even equivalent or lower tier planes, let alone higher tier ones.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, Algerie has the worst AA suite of all the T7 cruisers, bar none (the tech tree ones, at least). You might outperform a Yorck or Fiji due to a potential lack of DFAA on them, but all the others outdo you. It's really not a great ship for plane defense against even equivalent or lower tier planes, let alone higher tier ones.

Good to know, will just keep acoustic search on it. Thanks.

In other news, played about 10-12 games tonight, and did ok in the win/loss ratio, despite not playing terribly well half the time, and being either middle or bottom tier on every single game, except for one where I was top tier (T6) BB with double CV's.

I decided to end the night on this game, where once again I was bottom tier in my Massachusetts... and magic happened.

I should have been dead near the end except the enemy CV kept just flying right past me to try to finish off our Yamato. Which was perfectly fine with me!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It used to be I'd advise you to keep dfaa for the panic effect, but cvs have gotten so rare I've also been swapping to hydro. Very rarely a cv drops me in something I could have ran dfaa on, and I curse, but it's less common than the times hydro helps gently caress a DD.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

Burt posted:

The XP stuff is a bit pants, as the bonus is tiny compared to flags and cammos, go for the more coal/steel and reduced repair costs first.

True. I need a ton of coal atm, more so than xo I guess.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I put sonar on the Henri because there are zero CVs in ranked, but it's also fun in regular games. You can ruin a lot of bad destroyers in a sonar ship with speed boost and reload boost.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The only reason I have DFAA on any of my boats is because I can't swap it out for something else.

Hasn't really affected my ability to deal with carriers much (either they're bad enough that I dodge 90% of their torps or they're good enough to sink me after sacrificing a certain amount of planes.)

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
If I buy a "Vive La France" crate from the Armory can I start collecting the items for that from regular containers, like the American Cruisers collection that is currently ongoing? I completely missed the original event but would really like that unique captain.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Collections suggests I can but doesn't explicitly say I can get items from no longer active collections via regular containers, not that I would blindly trust the wiki anyway.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

You can, it’s how I completed the Dunkirk and last year’s anniversary collections.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hazdoc posted:

If you guys are applying to BOATC, be sure to say so in this topic. Maybe even ping me or Shep in discord to get accepted. There's been a couple of randos that have been declined recently and I don't want it to be some poor goon who is being too quiet. We don't have the space for anyone but goons here~

Well, I've been looking for folks to shoot at people with. Probably the only way I'll ever get better. Why not? IGN is GearheadX.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Gearhead posted:

Well, I've been looking for folks to shoot at people with. Probably the only way I'll ever get better. Why not? IGN is GearheadX.

Even if you can't get into that particular boat guild, there are other goon boat guilds as well. Also you can just join Discord and ask for boat-buddies in there.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
so the cat flag mission.

I finished the first mission of the set (which was like sink 5 ships). But now I'm stuck on "complete 3 more cat flag missions" or whatever and no new task has shown up.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Loky11 posted:

so the cat flag mission.

I finished the first mission of the set (which was like sink 5 ships). But now I'm stuck on "complete 3 more cat flag missions" or whatever and no new task has shown up.

You have to wait for them to release the next code I think.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Loky11 posted:

so the cat flag mission.

Like wdark said, gotta wait for the next cat mission. They'll start with each new "cat" video WG posts on youtube.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Hazdoc posted:

Like wdark said, gotta wait for the next cat mission. They'll start with each new "cat" video WG posts on youtube.

yeah thanks for setting me straight my dudes.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Applied to BOATC (IGN tenfingerstentoes) - if there's any room

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PZlnRHPMf4

PURRFECTFURREAL

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

you are a good man.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

got mission without code from 1st, what does code do then?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I don't get this cat thing at all. I mean I'll redeem the codes to have the missions to run, but it just strikes me as the dumbest thing ever. Maybe I'm just an old. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

The Locator posted:

I don't get this cat thing at all. I mean I'll redeem the codes to have the missions to run, but it just strikes me as the dumbest thing ever. Maybe I'm just an old. :corsair:

it's super dumb. but collecting poo poo is now about the only thing left for me in game.