Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

First, carpet installers rarely remove trim. They’ll just tuck unless it’s absolutely not possible.

Second, have you considered a hard surface instead? Basements tend to get gross no matter what.

Vinyl plank is awesome for basements. Think laminant, but waterproof. Easy to DIY. You can score it with a knife and snap it to length. Add shoe molding to your trim and throw down a fluffy rug.

Lumber Liquidators has some decent stuff around $2/sqft

The basement is also my kids' play area. They call the basement their playground, so we really want the floor to be soft. There's already been carpet down there for years with no mildew or damp spots anywhere. The only thing I've read was to make sure to use some certain kind of pad to keep out any possible dampness from the concrete, and some kind of synthetic fibers that wick away any dampness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm worried about grey and grey and grey feeling like an office or sunday school.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I am big into gray, and textures make it really homey and inviting. Also if it's a playspace for kids, their toys, books, drawings on the walls, and whatever other crap will be more than enough color.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

totoro mural or gtfo

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

peanut posted:

totoro mural or gtfo

Oh great, more grey!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

peanut posted:

I'm worried about grey and grey and grey feeling like an office or sunday school.

It's more of trying to match color schemes with this:

Really though, it'll be a very light gray wall, and medium gray carpet, is our current plan. So there's a bit of a gradient from the floor, to the wood paneling, to the white drywall upper half. The benches in the pic are going to get recovered with purple like the table (probably). And yeah, there's enough kids stuff down there that there's no lack of color.

Anything is better than this ugly orange wood and nearly-puttputt golf material and color carpet.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I actually like the wood paneling and benches. You are right, that carpet is awful, though.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ravendas posted:

It's more of trying to match color schemes with this:

Really though, it'll be a very light gray wall, and medium gray carpet, is our current plan. So there's a bit of a gradient from the floor, to the wood paneling, to the white drywall upper half. The benches in the pic are going to get recovered with purple like the table (probably). And yeah, there's enough kids stuff down there that there's no lack of color.

Anything is better than this ugly orange wood and nearly-puttputt golf material and color carpet.

Would something like padded foam tiles in a different color / texture scheme help out? Padding might be nice since it's a kid-oriented area.

https://www.amazon.com/Sorbus-Grain...XXZ97CHDG7F82X3

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 8, 2018

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Would something like padded foam tiles in a different color / texture scheme help out? Padding might be nice since it's a kid-oriented area.

https://www.amazon.com/Sorbus-Grain...XXZ97CHDG7F82X3

We already use a ton of kids foam tiles on the ground around their playground area in the basement. We just want decent carpet and padding over the entire basement so it's all nice, not just one patch of it.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

What’s a good utility to do floor layouts for outlets/lights and furniture layout? So far all the online ones I’ve tried suck to various degrees. I’d prefer not to fall back to Visio.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DkHelmet posted:

What’s a good utility to do floor layouts for outlets/lights and furniture layout? So far all the online ones I’ve tried suck to various degrees. I’d prefer not to fall back to Visio.

This isn't what you asked for at all but we've been doing it with printed out graph paper and tracing paper. Then including the clearances on the paper you can really get a feel for how things work together.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

HEY!

I have a house it's pretty big and stuff (2500 sqft without basement, 3500 with).

One problem with it is that it's in the American South. In the months like now, it's usually not cold enough for the AC to run all that much, but still ballstickingly humid. This means internal humidity is high and bad and gross.

I heard about getting a "whole house" dehumidifier in the attic that is fed via existing AC ducts and controlled with it's own little thermostat thing. Seems pretty pricy.

I was wondering though, can i just get a big fuckoff dehumidifier and put it in the basement and feed the wastewater into the existing AC water drain down there? One that I just plugin and control from the unit itself?

Is there a best place to place to put a dehumidifier?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

TheReverend posted:

HEY!

I have a house it's pretty big and stuff (2500 sqft without basement, 3500 with).

One problem with it is that it's in the American South. In the months like now, it's usually not cold enough for the AC to run all that much, but still ballstickingly humid. This means internal humidity is high and bad and gross.

I heard about getting a "whole house" dehumidifier in the attic that is fed via existing AC ducts and controlled with it's own little thermostat thing. Seems pretty pricy.

I was wondering though, can i just get a big fuckoff dehumidifier and put it in the basement and feed the wastewater into the existing AC water drain down there? One that I just plugin and control from the unit itself?

Absolutely. That's what I am doing this year and it's made a world of difference.

The best place is wherever you have a drain so it can operate consistently and where it has decent airflow to the rest of the house.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Well problem is the drain is in the basement, so airflow might not be the best.

It's also going to be near the AC / Furnace. Think that will be a problem?

(It's a finished basement, if that matters. 2 stories plus basement).

Thinking about this thing?!
https://www.amazon.com/TOSOT-Dehumidifier-Internal-Certified-Basements/dp/B07FJHZ58L/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

TheReverend posted:

https://www.amazon.com/TOSOT-Dehumidifier-Internal-Certified-Basements/dp/B07FJHZ58L/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks to all this I just ordered a hygrometer off of Amazon to make sure my basement is as dry as I think it is. If I'm putting money into my basement, might as well protect it too.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Maybe this is the better thread - is there a security camera/system thread? Someone broke into my house today. Nothing really stolen, which was weird as gently caress, but a bunch of stuff strewn about. Actually, not even that strewn about, like papers were taken out of the drawer but just set on top of the desk instead of thrown everywhere.

They actually only took the leftover paper money I had from various travels around the world. Good luck spending that RMB or Thai baht around here..

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

poo poo dude :/ That sounds more like a vicious ex than a thief break-in. You might wanna, like, buy a new toothbrush, just in case someone did a nasty to it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah it was weird ss gently caress. I don't know, probably a lot less risk of getting caught if they only take cash and /or drugs?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Maybe this is the better thread - is there a security camera/system thread? Someone broke into my house today. Nothing really stolen, which was weird as gently caress, but a bunch of stuff strewn about. Actually, not even that strewn about, like papers were taken out of the drawer but just set on top of the desk instead of thrown everywhere.

They actually only took the leftover paper money I had from various travels around the world. Good luck spending that RMB or Thai baht around here..

I don't know I gently caress with Foscam which people don't trust but I feel like it's relatively easy to set up and you can just use all local storage. If it's an inside cam(s) then you also don't have to worry about their motion detection not being great (I have one inside and one outside and I have to disable the outside one's motion alerts because the tree shadows set it off all day).

Though to go to a full house 4-5 camera solution I'm probably going to go with Arlos because I'm lazy and if the batteries can hold up 3-4 months that's good enough for me, and they have a free cloud storage tier.

Or if you have Comcast you can look into Xfi Home, which doesn't seem bad.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

TheReverend posted:

I've used a large unit similar to that for the last decade or so in my similarly sized basement (I'm in Virginia). There's a lot of storage down there and we found it was getting too humid and this does the trick; it's unconditioned space, otherwise. I haven't run it upstairs because the AC seems to be enough for us. We do run the house pretty cool.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

TheReverend posted:

HEY!

Humid air is less dense than dry air, and hot air can hold a lot more water than dry air. So if there's free air flow in the spaces to be dehumidified, put it higher up in the house since that's where the humid and warmer air will go. If there is not free air flow in the spaces, then buy a hygrometer and walk around to see where it is most humid. Note also that the maximum water removal ratings on dehumidifiers often are very generous. You may end up a lot more comfortable with the more expensive whole-house dehumidifier, which also would mean being able to set your thermostat higher when it is warm enough to run the A/C. Our new two-stage unit keeps the house a hell of a lot more comfortable at 73-75 degrees than the old unit did at 67-69 degrees, because it does a better job dehumidifying.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Humid air is less dense than dry air

:confused: why would that be the case? Air + water is heavier than air on its own.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

:confused: why would that be the case? Air + water is heavier than air on its own.

Because when you take a given volume of air, "wet" air has O2 and N2 replaced with H2O. This is partly why aircraft have more difficulty taking off in humid conditions.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Because when you take a given volume of air, "wet" air has O2 and N2 replaced with H2O. This is partly why aircraft have more difficulty taking off in humid conditions.

Huh! Well now I know.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

The water vapor is lighter than air and displaces the air in that volume.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

Huh! Well now I know.

It's really counterintuitive, but I swear it's true. (And I look it up every time even though I know it's true, because it just sounds so stupid that something would weigh less wet.)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's really counterintuitive, but I swear it's true. (And I look it up every time even though I know it's true, because it just sounds so stupid that something would weigh less wet.)

Yah I did a google and got a good explanation.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks for the help everyone!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

that's weird wet and wild!!!!!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well I learned something so today wasn't a total loss, thanks!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bought this hygrometer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BKDO8/

$11 or so off of Amazon, 4.5 stars with 15k reviews, figured it should work.

Basement is reading at 65% at 66'F, but that's with a ton of rainfall recently. I'm planning on putting some plusher carpet down there, so I guess I should get a dehumidifier just to keep it under 50% and make sure nothing gets funky down there. Nice sized units seem to go for $200-$250, which I'll just get locally because it sounds like they have a tendency to fail, and returns with shipping and Amazon involved are a pain.

Any suggestions, or anything I'm overlooking?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So I just pulled a cord out of one of my outlets. The outlet itself is kinda loose on the wall, but a huge spark shot out of it when I pulled the cord, and it looked like there was a spark behind the plate too. Is my house going to burn down, and should I call an electrician or is this something I can fix myself?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Didn't know where else to put this aside from a general chat thread, but I'm half tempted to eat a probation and ask him if there's any water damage from a bathroom remodel:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871856

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
TheWireCutter has good recommendations on dehumidifiers. If you have a larger space that can use the additional capacity, the new 95 pint models are significantly more energy efficient than lower capacity models and many have built-in pumps. I wouldn't pay twice as much but if you can score one for $250 it might be worth it. I have a current-gen Winix 70 pint model I spent $150 for on Amazon. Keep in mind that while they can differ in case and supplemental electronics, there's only one company making the refrigeration loop that they all use.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 19, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

red19fire posted:

So I just pulled a cord out of one of my outlets. The outlet itself is kinda loose on the wall, but a huge spark shot out of it when I pulled the cord, and it looked like there was a spark behind the plate too. Is my house going to burn down, and should I call an electrician or is this something I can fix myself?

Pretty easily fixed by replacing the outlet for $2 and making sure the insulation is intact on the wires, they're spaced out well, and there's no debris in the box.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Alereon posted:

[TheWireCutter has good recommendations on dehumidifiers.](https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dehumidifier/) If you have a larger space that can use the additional capacity, the new 95 pint models are significantly more energy efficient than lower capacity models and many have built-in pumps. I wouldn't pay twice as much but if you can score one for $250 it might be worth it. I have a current-gen Winix 70 pint model I spent $150 for on Amazon. Keep in mind that while they can differ in case and supplemental electronics, there's only one company making the refrigeration loop that they all use.

Thanks for the link.

The cheap hygrometer I put in my basement last week has gone from 65% after a week of rain, down to 45-50% on its own now that the heat is on and it hasn't been quite so wet outside. I'll probably keep an eye on it for awhile, and if it stays low over the winter I'll just wait until the spring to pick one up. If it starts creeping up to the 60+ level I'll pick up one of the frigidaires probably.

Some carpet company, through Costco, is coming out on the 30th to do the measuring and samples to figure out what we're getting, when and how much. I'll make sure to get padding that is impermeable to water to help keep it dry. I'm not even sure if the basement floor is coated or what, I bought the house a few years ago and they have a very thin carpet over the whole furnished area of it.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Fallom posted:

Pretty easily fixed by replacing the outlet for $2 and making sure the insulation is intact on the wires, they're spaced out well, and there's no debris in the box.

Every box I've ever been in has been stuffed to bursting with extra lengths of wire and full of paint and drywall debris. Is it actually a good idea to trim some excess wire off in situations like that for tidier boxes?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ravendas posted:

The cheap hygrometer I put in my basement last week has gone from 65% after a week of rain, down to 45-50% on its own now that the heat is on and it hasn't been quite so wet outside. I'll probably keep an eye on it for awhile, and if it stays low over the winter I'll just wait until the spring to pick one up. If it starts creeping up to the 60+ level I'll pick up one of the frigidaires probably.

Bear in mind that that's the RH%, i.e. the amount of moisture relative to the temperature, so when your heat goes up the % will drop even while the same amount of water is in the air.

I battled with this a bit when I had a floor poured and had to dry out the house, wound up checking the numbers in terms of absolute humidity using this calculator. I also used info from weather stations to calculate the absolute humidity outside.

Often it turned out that the real amount of water in the air was lower outside than inside because of the temperature difference, so opening my doors and windows actually dried the house out more than a dehumidifier, even when it was raining outside.

Counter intuitive but it got the job done.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Should I use moisture resistant drywall for the ceiling (or walls, for that matter) of an insulated, heated, detached garage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elem7 posted:

Every box I've ever been in has been stuffed to bursting with extra lengths of wire and full of paint and drywall debris. Is it actually a good idea to trim some excess wire off in situations like that for tidier boxes?

You want a little extra in case you rewire it later with a smart switch or something but if there's excess to the point where you have to jam the outlet in with a lot of force to get it to fit then you should probably trim it down to avoid stressing the wires, drywall or box.