Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

As my old , 2007 vintage 42" panasonic plasma keeps on soldiering on, I do my yearly hemming and hawing over replacing a perfectly good TV with an OLED. Any big reasons to wait for the 9-series LGs or should I just get the C8 when the Black Friday deals come? Clearly I'm not in a rush.

We might actually have the same television. That one's up in the attic, and we have a super-cheap 50" 4K (non-HDR) LED in the basement. I'd just soldier on with the old television for a while, as there will always be something new driving the prices down further. That said, due to the smaller bezel the new television has just about the same height and width as the Panasonic, which means that you can take up around the same amount of space and have 40% greater viewing area.

I really would like to get a fuckoff-big OLED for that attic space, but every time I even whisper the words, "I'm thinking about renovating the attic space," something else goes wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I gotta say going from 46 to 65" is everything I hoped it would be. Its almost daunting walking past the thing in the living room.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm kinda in the same boat re: old TV, though mine isn't as old, it's the last model of the Panasonic st60 plasma, 50 inches, and I keep debating on upgrading to a 65 or something, but it still is a pretty nice TV and I don't know if the extra size will be worth it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's some evidence to support the 2019 models being built in a new generation plant which might mean they are an actual next generation product rather than an improvement on existing tech like the last few years. But that may come in 2020 instead, it's hard to say right now.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat re: old TV, though mine isn't as old, it's the last model of the Panasonic st60 plasma, 50 inches, and I keep debating on upgrading to a 65 or something, but it still is a pretty nice TV and I don't know if the extra size will be worth it.

I'm in the same position - I have a Pioneer PDP50 plasma in my office and the picture is staggering, but it's only 768 at 50".

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

There's some evidence to support the 2019 models being built in a new generation plant which might mean they are an actual next generation product rather than an improvement on existing tech like the last few years. But that may come in 2020 instead, it's hard to say right now.

Uuugh you're the worst. When will that be known? Spring 2019?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CES most likely, so not THAT far away.

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

I pulled the trigger on the X900F. It's beautiful. I had to re-arrange my living room a bit to get the 55'' to fit

I did have a question about sunlight:

Where it is now is diagonal from a skylight in my sloped roof, so in the mornings there's a beam of sunlight that travels across the TV. It's worse in the summer, but I don't think any one section of the TV is lit up for more than 30 minutes a day. Should I be worried about this damaging the TV? Most of the information I could find googling was about outside TVs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

Oh that's not bad, just in time for super bowl sales.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Alligator Tower posted:

I did have a question about sunlight:

Where it is now is diagonal from a skylight in my sloped roof, so in the mornings there's a beam of sunlight that travels across the TV. It's worse in the summer, but I don't think any one section of the TV is lit up for more than 30 minutes a day. Should I be worried about this damaging the TV? Most of the information I could find googling was about outside TVs.

Probably depends on how hot the tv gets from the sunlight hitting it. Heat from prolonged sunlight can damage most things over time.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Residency Evil posted:

As my old , 2007 vintage 42" panasonic plasma keeps on soldiering on, I do my yearly hemming and hawing over replacing a perfectly good TV with an OLED. Any big reasons to wait for the 9-series LGs or should I just get the C8 when the Black Friday deals come? Clearly I'm not in a rush.

Similar Boat. I have a 2010 Panasonic Plasma that was I think their flagship line at the time and it's still kicking just fine. Sure I want a flashy new TV that's bigger, lighter, and does all the cool new things, but it just keeps on trucking with my gaming and Netflixing, so I can't justify anything yet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

qbert posted:

Probably depends on how hot the tv gets from the sunlight hitting it. Heat from prolonged sunlight can damage most things over time.

Also depends on where you live. In Vancouver, where I am, that would not be an issue.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have a feeling the UV light from the Sun damaging pigments and plastics would be the bigger concern if your skylight doesn't have a UV filter.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I replaced a 42" Samsung LCD that was about ten years old with the 55" TCL and it is night and day. Unfortunately I've got some vertical banding and didn't play the panel lottery before the return period ended but it's not noticeable unless you have a bright image of mostly grey or white.

I say pull the trigger when you've got some extra cash. My biggest hurdle was knowing as soon as I spent that $600, the $600 was gone because it's basically impossible to resell a TV for a reasonable amount. Unlike a laptop etc.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

lol the Z9F has a native contrast ratio of 1700:1, thats shocking

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Z9F reviews have been extremely disappointing, it sounds like they focused too much on wide viewing angles and sacrificed in other areas

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Reading too much drat rtings.com! I dont think I've looked at a review that didn't complain about the viewing angles.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

codo27 posted:

Reading too much drat rtings.com! I dont think I've looked at a review that didn't complain about the viewing angles.

That's just because for LCD screens you either have bad viewing angles or you use an IPS screen which instead gives you terrible blacks (it instead is more like gray). Of the two having the color black be black is way more important

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It really depends on your seating arrangement and average room light level. If your room sees a lot of light and you watch at more extreme angles, then IPS may be the better choice.

As for the Z9F is concerned, who cares what the native contrast level is? A huge chunk of the cost of that TV is the backlight drive and it makes sense that they design their panel to play off the strengths of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still kind of get amazed when I look down the OLED screen while essentially parallel with it and the picture still comes through clearly. Absolutely unwatchable of course, but cool.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The only thing i'm hoping for is a TV that supports the xbone VRR\HDMI 2.1.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HDMI 2.1 is so late on the spec we're probably looking at 2020 for full support but eARC is coming separately, maybe the same thing will happen for VRR?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Samsung already has xbone vrr support even without HDMI 2.1

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q6fn-q6f-q6-2018

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It really depends on your seating arrangement and average room light level. If your room sees a lot of light and you watch at more extreme angles, then IPS may be the better choice.

As for the Z9F is concerned, who cares what the native contrast level is? A huge chunk of the cost of that TV is the backlight drive and it makes sense that they design their panel to play off the strengths of it.

The worse your native contrast is the worse blooming around highlights is going to be. And the entire point of that FALD backlight is to have the best possible black level performance! Why on earth would you pair it with IPS black levels?

As MagusDraco says the viewing angle thing is incredibly overblown. You might be better off going with an IPS if the TV is for a bar and it's only used for sports. In every other case you're better off with a VA panel (and sitting in front of your drat TV).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

After 9 years I'm going to be in the market for a new hdtv in the spring. Been looking to jump to 4k and I just got a much better job and can drop some dough next year and I remember in 2010 OLEDs were allllll the rage but far, far outside of my price range.

A quick look for 4k & OLED didn't produce nearly as many results as I was expecting. So my question is: Is OLED really worth all the extra $$$ when it comes to 4k anymore? My current is a 46" Samsung LED and I'm probably looking in the 52"-55" range for the 4k. My Samsung served me well, there's nothing even wrong with it so it will live on in another room but I want to get my 4k on in 2019.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh yeah while I do really love Samsung displays and wanted to stick with them I see they are trying to pull a fast one and trick me with this "QLED" stuff which appears to be significantly inferior to OLED wtf :/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

beep by grandpa posted:

After 9 years I'm going to be in the market for a new hdtv in the spring. Been looking to jump to 4k and I just got a much better job and can drop some dough next year and I remember in 2010 OLEDs were allllll the rage but far, far outside of my price range.

A quick look for 4k & OLED didn't produce nearly as many results as I was expecting. So my question is: Is OLED really worth all the extra $$$ when it comes to 4k anymore? My current is a 46" Samsung LED and I'm probably looking in the 52"-55" range for the 4k. My Samsung served me well, there's nothing even wrong with it so it will live on in another room but I want to get my 4k on in 2019.

If you can afford OLED, yes it really is still the best.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is there any sign of OLEDs getting any brighter? LEDs are perilously close to the ridiculous 4000 point, but every OLED seems to come with laments about only hitting like 700 and ABL being noticeable. I'm not gonna be buying another TV for another few years but when I do I hope I can get one that can show perfect blacks and sear my eyeballs.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

beep by grandpa posted:

OLED is king and if you can afford it get it. HDR is the spec that's more important than 4K and OLED shines in that department.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It probably depends more on viewing environment if you should value absolute blacks or super high peak brightness. Keeping in mind that just because some new TV comes out at 10,000 nits doesn't stop a 700 nit TV from being bright. I think if you watch movies and fancy new HDR TV shows in a dark room then OLED is the way to go. If you watch the news in a bright room or play videogames then an LCD may still be better for you.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah OLED doesn't win peak brightness it's for wide color gamut and contrast ratio.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

wandler20 posted:

OLED is king and if you can afford it get it. HDR is the spec that's more important than 4K and OLED shines in that department.

I didn't even consider there would be a 4k tv WITHOUT HDR so thanks for the reminder to check. One of these days I'll have to go to a best buy, etc and try to find one of their 4k HDR OLED displays just to behold the fact that we are living in the future now.

Also if I'm factoring in the conditions/drawbacks correctly the lower OLED's brightness intensity shouldn't affect me that much since the room my future OLED will be in doesn't get much sunlight in it. Am I correct?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm looking to upgrade to 4k. I live in an apartment so I don't really need a real black since I can't exactly get the darkness of a basement. I was thinking 75" but I measured my current hand me down and it's only 48", so I'm looking at 65". One more reason for 65" is that I don't need to upgrade my mount as 65" is the maximum for it.

I also would like my TV to be dumb as hell since I don't need smart features.

Any ideas where I should be looking? And what I should be looking out for with the upcoming sale season?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You can't get a non smart TV anymore. I recommend a TCL. We got one for the girlfriend and she loves it and it's pretty good even compared to my OLED.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Folks asking for a recommendation, don't forget to mention what your budget is

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm looking to upgrade to 4k. I live in an apartment so I don't really need a real black since I can't exactly get the darkness of a basement. I was thinking 75" but I measured my current hand me down and it's only 48", so I'm looking at 65". One more reason for 65" is that I don't need to upgrade my mount as 65" is the maximum for it.

I also would like my TV to be dumb as hell since I don't need smart features.

Any ideas where I should be looking? And what I should be looking out for with the upcoming sale season?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551

Enjoy! BTW Roku smart tvs are really great and you won't want to go back to a dumb tv, not that any exist in 2018.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
https://www.rtings.com should be in the thread title. Go there and read up on stuff. They have some good recommended lists and tools to find out what type of TV you should get at your budget.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Are there any 75" options that aren't disproportionately expensive yet? Even the TCL TVs in that range are ridiculous - the 65" C807 is about $0.48$/sq in while the 75" is like double that.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I'm getting a new TV next month (Sony X900F 65"). Any new/cool upgrades to bias lighting in the last few years, or is it still just as simple as getting a cheap LED light strip and sticking it to the back of the TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been looking at RTings and Amazon all morning, and it looks like my choice is a LG OLED that's pretty pricey, or a LCD that's not a huge upgrade over my existing LG 55" panel besides 4k/HDR. Considering I usually only buy a new TV every 5-7 years, I'm thinking of trying my best to justify the price of the OLED.

Just gotta convince the wife...

Are there any major differences between the LG C8 and the B8 besides the newer processor in the C8? Because it's like $200 more just for that.