Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Raged posted:

Now since Redline won Coruscant everyone seems to be drooling over him. I like him, but more and more I am finding I like two basic bombers with barrage rockets. Redline dies quickly to swarm focus fire. Two bombers have a much higher EHP with the 2 green dice and are stupidly manoeuvrable for what they are. Ignore them and they will wreck anything that has its tokens stripped. Focus on them and your other ships have a field day.

Redline was in 2 of the top 4 list, basic bombers where in none of them, probably why people are interested in him.

But in reality go wild, out of the top 4 the only duplicate pilot was Redline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Redline is your base antiswarm tech, not surprising he's popular. I'm running a him with Soontir and two Sabers and it's a real fun and cool list.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I5 with boost is a big deal too. I started out running Redline and Deathrain, but one of the lists I theorycrafted was similar to the Redline/Soontir/Reaper list that was in the finals. Just trying to get more experience with everything still, though.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
First order preview: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/8/a-new-order/

Snoke is real interesting.

Edit: The wording also seems to imply that the Upsilon will have 3 or more crew slots?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LanceKing2200 posted:

First order preview: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/8/a-new-order/

Snoke is real interesting.

Edit: The wording also seems to imply that the Upsilon will have 3 or more crew slots?

Phasma got Mara Jade's old ability. It's pretty drat strong against swarms. MJ was eventually eclipsed by Rebel Captive, but saw some play before that.

Petty Officer Thanisson looks nasty and combos well with Phasma. I hope they're not too expensive to run together.

Hux's new ability is great, too.

It's totally cost-dependent, but Dormitz + Hux + as many ordnance carries with Hyperspace Tracking Data as you can fit may be pretty drat good.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Do we know what the Resistance faction upgrade Heroic does?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Now since Redline won Coruscant everyone seems to be drooling over him. I like him, but more and more I am finding I like two basic bombers with barrage rockets. Redline dies quickly to swarm focus fire. Two bombers have a much higher EHP with the 2 green dice and are stupidly manoeuvrable for what they are. Ignore them and they will wreck anything that has its tokens stripped. Focus on them and your other ships have a field day.

There are very, very few ships in the game more dangerous to be in front of than Redline with Trajectory, Proton Bombs, and Proton Torps.

If any. Honestly I can't think of any single ship more dangerous at the range 2-3 band. A proton bomb + fully modded proton torp is really nasty. And at I5 with 9hp, he's very unlikely to die before he wrecks something.

I went to 2x Barrage Bombers and they were good. However, I found that frequently one would get killed before it could shoot. Sure, it's kind of the point that these guys take the fire instead of your aces, but your aces shouldn't be getting shot much anyway.

When I flew Whisper/Duchess/Redline this weekend, I usually set Redline up in the opposite corner from my opponent. I'd put Duchess closest to the enemy, and Whisper in the middle of the board.

I'd slow-roll with Duchess and bail if they came towards her, letting Redline plow into their flank. If they turned away, Duchess would get behind them almost instantly.

Redline almost always started with an aggressive, 3-speed move, sometimes with a boost, to start threatening the middle of the board.

If they turned towards Redline, I'd block lanes with bombs and generally get more than enough value out of him. If they went for Whisper, I'd rejoice. I'd just token stack behind rocks and hit both flanks with my other guys.

I didn't lose a single ship in the entire tournament. Redline got halved, twice, and Duchess once.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ConfusedUs posted:

There are very, very few ships in the game more dangerous to be in front of than Redline with Trajectory, Proton Bombs, and Proton Torps.

If any. Honestly I can't think of any single ship more dangerous at the range 2-3 band. A proton bomb + fully modded proton torp is really nasty. And at I5 with 9hp, he's very unlikely to die before he wrecks something.

I went to 2x Barrage Bombers and they were good. However, I found that frequently one would get killed before it could shoot. Sure, it's kind of the point that these guys take the fire instead of your aces, but your aces shouldn't be getting shot much anyway.

When I flew Whisper/Duchess/Redline this weekend, I usually set Redline up in the opposite corner from my opponent. I'd put Duchess closest to the enemy, and Whisper in the middle of the board.

I'd slow-roll with Duchess and bail if they came towards her, letting Redline plow into their flank. If they turned away, Duchess would get behind them almost instantly.

Redline almost always started with an aggressive, 3-speed move, sometimes with a boost, to start threatening the middle of the board.

If they turned towards Redline, I'd block lanes with bombs and generally get more than enough value out of him. If they went for Whisper, I'd rejoice. I'd just token stack behind rocks and hit both flanks with my other guys.

I didn't lose a single ship in the entire tournament. Redline got halved, twice, and Duchess once.

Have you posted this list? If so, I think I missed it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Have you posted this list? If so, I think I missed it.

Imperial Fives

(52) "Whisper"
(14) Darth Vader
(4) Juke
(6) Stealth Device
Points 76

(42) "Duchess"
(12) Fifth Brother
(4) Juke
Points 58

(44) "Redline"
(5) Proton Bombs
(3) Trajectory Simulator
(9) Proton Torpedoes
Points 61

Total points: 195

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
We got second place at UKTC :D

4LOM is amazing, but I suspect he'll become played out VERY quickly, he's very easy to counter (kill hard from range, essentially)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

We got second place at UKTC :D

4LOM is amazing, but I suspect he'll become played out VERY quickly, he's very easy to counter (kill hard from range, essentially)

I think 4-LOM is slightly over-rated. He's easy to counter, as you say, but even if you end up close, you were probably doing a blue move anyway.

Really all he does is discourage red moves and actions from occurring within range 1 of him, and then only if he's gonna live to the end of the phase.

That's good, but it's not that good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

LanceKing2200 posted:

Certainly seems so, since it'll need that many slots for Snoke and Kylo.

Also, goddamnit. I just know I'm going to have to get both Resistance and First Order conversion kits too. I knew I wouldn't be able to resist not playing every faction. :homebrew:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

AndyElusive posted:

Certainly seems so, since it'll need that many slots for Snoke and Kylo.

Also, goddamnit. I just know I'm going to have to get both Resistance and First Order conversion kits too. I knew I wouldn't be able to resist not playing every faction. :homebrew:

Yeah, I very quickly caved on “I’m not buying rebel conversion because I rarely play rebels” because x-wings and a-wings are viable again!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm totally buying all the conversion kits for the factions where I already own ships.

But I'm not sure if I'll buy into the new factions or not. They'd have to be really drat interesting.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh right, the Republic and Separatists are factions now.

I'm not going to say I'm not planing to buy into either PT faction, because I just know something rad about both will get revealed and that's when FFG will attack my finances at point blank range before the shields I have up around my wallet suddenly go down, then the final attack on my bank account will begin.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

So the Upsilon Shuttle looks like a monster. Are we expecting it to be similar to the Ghost in point cost?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Has there been any specific ruling that when you are playing, you have to use all ships from the faction you choose, or can you mix Resistance and Rebels?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cannot mix factions. They are completely separate now

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wonder if new releases are going to slow down/spread out a little. There's a lot of ships to rerelease and with episode 9 still a year off I imagine the Resistance/FO will be a little thin for a while. At least the PT factions will fill out the release schedule.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I expect waves to mostly focus on Resistance/FO/Separatists/Republic for the near future. The existing factions probably won't get much except a re-released ship.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I think 4-LOM is slightly over-rated. He's easy to counter, as you say, but even if you end up close, you were probably doing a blue move anyway.

Really all he does is discourage red moves and actions from occurring within range 1 of him, and then only if he's gonna live to the end of the phase.

That's good, but it's not that good.

He blocks like a loving DEMON and if you start him in range for a lock he's almost certainly getting full mods via lock/free calc/000 calc. But the real trick is that he's stupid nimble if you can keep something at range 1 of him to clear his stress. Like, K turns every round, just sit still and let them come past, etc etc.

The build is Elusive (thoguh I really should change that for Initimidation)/000/AS/Mist Hunter. AS roll is absolutely critical to getting the blocks you need to survive the opening engagement. And also putting in other high priority targets like Palob

He was absolutely my MVP, but he's a trap card, and once people figure out the tricks he's a lot more difficult to work with.

Sadly I don't expect him to continue being amazing into Regionals season.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Here's the T-85 X-wing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Do we know if t70s are getting flappy wings? I know there's really no point other than to look cool since they dont have servos.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Here's the T-85 X-wing.

That is easily the best-looking thing to come from Resistance. It's in a world of its own.

It's like an X-Wing had a baby with a StarViper from Babylon 5, and it's beautiful.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

banned from Starbucks posted:

Do we know if t70s are getting flappy wings? I know there's really no point other than to look cool since they dont have servos.

Like, do you mean the on-film ones don't? Or the ones in game doesn't.

Either way, very wrong. You can see servos in the card spread in the resistance article

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

That is easily the best-looking thing to come from Resistance. It's in a world of its own.

It's like an X-Wing had a baby with a StarViper from Babylon 5, and it's beautiful.

Are you talking about Battlestar Galactica Vipers?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

plester1 posted:

Are you talking about Battlestar Galactica Vipers?

Those, too!

The thicker, stubbier guns give the wings a more bulbous look on the ends, which is very Starfury-esque.

But that may just be my love of the Starfury, which is my favorite fighter in any sci-fi film.

If you don't see it, that's cool. There's shortage of X-shaped starfighters in sci-fi to compare to the X-Wing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ConfusedUs posted:

It was also on screen 2 seconds into the pilot, shortly followed by the First Order TIE Interceptor, and then on top of the Aces fighters there were two kinds of pirate fighter, and a pirate shuttle that looked like a chopped up Lamba in the second episode. Plenty of fodder.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope episode 9 has lots of space action, that was always my favourite part of the other films and TLJ was lacking on the space front after the opening battle.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope episode 9 has lots of space action, that was always my favourite part of the other films and TLJ was lacking on the space front after the opening battle.

Yeah, TFA had a good smattering of space stuff throughout. There were X-wings (or Poe) involved in almost every major conflict of the film, even as ground support.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The issue with TFA and with TLJ from the perspective of X-Wing is that there were literally only 4 ship models in the first film (well, technically 5, but two of them were almost identical, I really wish they'd been braver with the /sf) and TLJ then added a whole 3 more (4 if you include that one personal shuttle, 5 if you include the unarmed civilian yacht). All but one of which have already been made.

And 3 seconds of quadjumper and even THAT has got made already.

Unless Resistance has a LOT to offer they're going to really struggle to fill out the Res and FO. I'm already not sold on the FO conversion; I'd use less than half of it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

The issue with TFA and with TLJ from the perspective of X-Wing is that there were literally only 4 ship models in the first film (well, technically 5, but two of them were almost identical, I really wish they'd been braver with the /sf) and TLJ then added a whole 3 more (4 if you include that one personal shuttle, 5 if you include the unarmed civilian yacht). All but one of which have already been made.

And 3 seconds of quadjumper and even THAT has got made already.

Unless Resistance has a LOT to offer they're going to really struggle to fill out the Res and FO. I'm already not sold on the FO conversion; I'd use less than half of it.

Resistance adds T-85 and Cool Red TIE right off the bat. I suspect we'll get a lot more, too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

All five or six of the Colossus Aces will probably become Resistance faction ships.

Jace Rucklin's (the knob voiced by Elijah Wood) ship will probably be Scum faction and same with all the various Pirate Uglies if they get added at all.

The FO is getting the short end of the stick at the moment when it comes to material to draw from the show.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I honestly can't see them releasing a bunch of single unique ships with single unique pilots, if I'm reading the whole racer-ship thing right. Maybe if one of them turns out to be the new Ghost or Phantom.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

I honestly can't see them releasing a bunch of single unique ships with single unique pilots, if I'm reading the whole racer-ship thing right. Maybe if one of them turns out to be the new Ghost or Phantom.

Seems like the perfect thing to release as a boxed set.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

He blocks like a loving DEMON and if you start him in range for a lock he's almost certainly getting full mods via lock/free calc/000 calc. But the real trick is that he's stupid nimble if you can keep something at range 1 of him to clear his stress. Like, K turns every round, just sit still and let them come past, etc etc.

The build is Elusive (thoguh I really should change that for Initimidation)/000/AS/Mist Hunter. AS roll is absolutely critical to getting the blocks you need to survive the opening engagement. And also putting in other high priority targets like Palob

He was absolutely my MVP, but he's a trap card, and once people figure out the tricks he's a lot more difficult to work with.

Sadly I don't expect him to continue being amazing into Regionals season.

This reminds me of running Manaroo in FennZuckMan

I miss that list. :(

I could run Fenn + 4LOM + something. Palob fits really well, as does Teroch.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

thespaceinvader posted:

I could see a box set like Plester says, and I'm assuming each racer has his/her own support crew, any of whom could be secondary pilots for the flipside of the Ace's ship chit. 3-4 pilots for each ostensibly one-of-a-kind ship would be stretching it, I argee, but I think they could swing Ace +1.

Maybe as the season progresses we'll see some cross-pollination among the Aces and the ships. Ace A borrows Ship C, etc.

FFG will be looking *hard* for ways to bring these to X-Wing.

Rebels first aired (some shorts) in August 2014 and the Ghost & TAP for X-Wing was announced July 2015, wonder if FFG will be faster of slower given the volume of re-releases everyones expecting.

Tequila Ranger fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 10, 2018

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Got to play a couple more games tonight at league night. Changed things up a small bit and went with triple ace Imps, which was always my favorite 1.0 list. And I finally felt like I played competently. Played two of the better players in the store, won both games, and most importantly didn't screw up anything massively in the process. I flew:

Soontir Fel (52)
Juke (4)

"Duchess" (42)
Predator (2)
Fifth Brother (12)

"Whisper" (52)
Juke (4)
Darth Vader (14)
Stealth Device (6)

Total: 188

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I'm debating if/what I could add with the 12 points. Shield upgrade on Duchess is my first thought, since getting that extra HP is pretty nice for 6 points. I could also stay with a huge bid, but it was overkill tonight, and our meta seems a little less aggressive on that front so far.

First game was against a Rebel Han and Luke list. I whiffed the initial engage on Han, and so did he, and then was able to pounce on Luke with all three ships. Luke moving first meant I was able to swamp him while Han was far enough away turning around in a corner with an awkward asteroid in the way, and I was able to push through damage and kill Luke in two rounds with only 1 shield regened by R2-D2. After that I started in on Han, trading Duchess for a solid bunch of hits, including a crazy double crit chain that ended up doing like 5 damage. Han did some work and put hits on Soontir and Whisper, but didn't manage to outpace their damage. Han's rerolls just never really paid off for him.

Game two was against the Scum player that wrecked me with a Slaver last week, and this week he had an even more massive wall of HP to fight through. Probably one of my favorite games I've played, though! His list was Scum Han with 4-L0M and Zuckuss crew, plus BT-1, title, and EU. Assaj with just Latts Razzi, and a tugboat. This was a rough game. Early on I thought I was done for. Tons of HP that covered a ton of ground makes dodging hard, and stress/tractor control options are no good for aces. Duchess tried to run early and I didn't turn in soon enough to avoid getting hammered. A range 3 Han shot put a direct hit though my evade token and dice, and Assaj killed her off next turn. Soontir had meanwhile flanked around and got a hit on the tugboat, then looped in behind Assaj as she and Han circled. The tugboat managed a tractor on Soontir, but he just missed going over a rock.

Whisper....poor Whisper. Whisper got tractored onto 2 debris fields in succesive turns, had to move through one of those, and ended up going the wrong way with the tugboat behind her and 3 holding stress. Small miracles meant that Assaj only had one turn to fire at her and only did 1 damage, thankfully. Meanwhile, Soontir is playing "guess what arc I'll be in" with Han and Assaj, and managed to do a ton of damage to them both, while only getting double stressed once early on, and in a position where he was able to run and disengage for a turn after. Assaj went down, and Soontir, having racked up a couple damage cards now, raced to rescue Whisper who was down to just hull, managing to get there ahead of Han, who was looping back in. He boosted into range one and finished off the Tugboat, then promptly died to the Deadman Switch I forgot it had. But, Whisper was now free, and thanks to Vader force tokens had managed to only take 1 more damage total. Whisper and Han were both at 2 hull at this point, and were facing off just out of range. Decloaked in with Whisper, got the bump I needed on Han, and Vader pinged him down to 1 HP. Next turn, decloak away, and K-turn. Han scooted up, boosted to range 3 so Vader couldn't just kill him, and rolled 5 dice at Whisper thanks to Han, Trick Shot, and a rock. Whisper took one damage thanks to Vader force and her evade, and finished off Han with the return shot. Closest game I may have ever played, and it was intense.

Both games were, I think, saved by Vader and Fifth Brother focusing at critical times. Having those Force crew is maybe the strongest advantage that Imps have right now, IMO.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've run that exact list! I ended up going triple Juke, though. With Vader crew in play, it's like triple re-usable crack shot.

If you have points to burn, good choices include (in my rough order of preference):

* Shield Upgrade on Duchess, for the reasons you said.
* Collision Detector for Whisper. Lets you play really aggressive with rocks; you can just park behind them, on them, decloak through them...
* Afterburners on Duchess, for when you really, truly, one hundred percent don't want your opponent to have the foggiest idea where you'll end up.

The Gate posted:

Both games were, I think, saved by Vader and Fifth Brother focusing at critical times. Having those Force crew is maybe the strongest advantage that Imps have right now, IMO.

Yeah, saving those Force tokens for defense (rather than spending them for effect) is really good, especially if you have Evade on top of it (another reason I like Juke on Duchess). Makes you highly resistant to any single attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

Resistance adds T-85 and Cool Red TIE right off the bat. I suspect we'll get a lot more, too.

Technically the T-85 isnt even part of the resistance. Its part of the new government. I guess they could retcon it to "the resistance had some but they all blew up before TFA" or whatever but it wouldnt make much sense.