Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Meskhenet posted:

enigmatica 2 expert

do you need to choose skyblock?. I dled it today but it made a normal world
Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock is its own specific pack separate from the non-skyblock one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

a condition that is optimally mitigated by repeatedly killing yourself

ah, the human condition

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Kris xK posted:

If your plan is to avoid making tough alloy for Gas Burning Gen's and go straight to Extreme Reactor I've got bad news for you...

Yeah I uh...found that out. Also found out I can get Lithium relatively easily by sifting netherrack...much easier than the whole ding dang thermal evaporation chamber I made.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Black Pants posted:

Would that beat out a small Mekanism turbine?

How small are we talking?

A single Mekanism fusion reactor + single max size turbine can easily* make 135.4 million rf/t

*it's not easy

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 7, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

No go. I suspect something is actually screwed up. I started to jumble things around and would get mostly ocean with random plateaus of stuff at Y=255. I started over from a new dimension tab and tried to replicate a very boring dimension based on RFTools' documentation and got the same kind of thing. I'm going to be try jiggering around with the mods a bit and looking up if there are issues with all this.

Update: It looks like OpenTerrainGenerator just didn't want to play well with RFTools. I stripped it out and just used a Biomes O' Plenty generation, and everything worked fine. Well, I had given the dimension a filtered criteria of ocean, deep ocean, moors, and forest hills, and it looks like it latched on to the forest hills for the above-water terrain.

Is there a way to eliminate dimlet dungeon generation?

A final thing to fuss about is that the flight effect I put on the dimension didn't appear to take effect. In survival mode, I couldn't double jump up to take flight.

Is there some way to get crazy star effects at night while still having a daytime atmosphere? The star dimlets just take over the skybox and that's that. IIRC Mystcraft had some neat blending for this.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
whats the latest good pack with quests that doesnt have ex nihilio i hate sifting and poo poo like that

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Doorknob Slobber posted:

whats the latest good pack with quests that doesnt have ex nihilio i hate sifting and poo poo like that

enigmatica 2 expert (not the skyblock one) or sevtech are the big ones these days

sevtech is a more linear structured experience and doesn't have loot rewards for quests and showcases some more esoteric mods, while enigmatica 2 is a bit more open ended and does have loot rewards and is a bit more conventional

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Also while Exoria does have Ex Nihilo it's severely downplayed and almost completely automatable right from the point they want you to start doing it and isn't at all obtrustive.

Now if only the mod maker would figure out how to integrate Futurepack properly, it's lack of non-PITA automation is the only thing keeping me from continuing it right now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has something replaced Progressive Automation's miner in 1.12?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

How small are we talking?

A single Mekanism fusion reactor + single max size turbine can easily* make 135.4 million rf/t

*it's not easy

Like, the minimum size a Mek turbine can be can easily handle all the steam TE's boiler-augmented dynamos could ever produce. I just don't know how much power that would translate to compared to the IE steam turbine because I've never used IE's.

Edit: also while Enigmatica 2 Expert: Skyblock does have Ex Nihilo, its sieving is locked off until later while its other useful things like easily making tons of clay and using a compressed hammer to produce all the gravel and sand you'll ever need are there from the start.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 8, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Black Pants posted:

Like, the minimum size a Mek turbine can be can easily handle all the steam TE's boiler-augmented dynamos could ever produce. I just don't know how much power that would translate to compared to the IE steam turbine because I've never used IE's.

Edit: also while Enigmatica 2 Expert: Skyblock does have Ex Nihilo, its sieving is locked off until later while its other useful things like easily making tons of clay and using a compressed hammer to produce all the gravel and sand you'll ever need are there from the start.

The IE steam turbine has 6 output spots and each one can saturate a single HV line's input capacity. It's a lot of power, and you can run 3-4 of them off of a single TE steam dynamo.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I've been ignoring Astral Sorcery because I thought it was another Roots-style "here's a magic mod where by the time you have the resources to move forward it's super underpowered" mod. Oops.

I've now got a wither cage made out of wooden planks that's entirely indestructible, can get about 80 buckets of lava from 12 magma blocks, can quarry by myself, have a stupidly easy way of tripling most ores and have to stay away from animals and crops because walking near them causes breeding and growth to an insane level. I also filled an upgraded storage drawer with sand in like four hours. I haven't even tried out my first ritual, or making the thing that can give me Fortune VI. This mod's insanely cool, why didn't anyone tell me?

What's a mod you finally got around to that is actually really really loving cool, but you never gave it the time of day?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Whalley posted:

I've been ignoring Astral Sorcery because I thought it was another Roots-style "here's a magic mod where by the time you have the resources to move forward it's super underpowered" mod. Oops.

I've now got a wither cage made out of wooden planks that's entirely indestructible, can get about 80 buckets of lava from 12 magma blocks, can quarry by myself, have a stupidly easy way of tripling most ores and have to stay away from animals and crops because walking near them causes breeding and growth to an insane level. I also filled an upgraded storage drawer with sand in like four hours. I haven't even tried out my first ritual, or making the thing that can give me Fortune VI. This mod's insanely cool, why didn't anyone tell me?

What's a mod you finally got around to that is actually really really loving cool, but you never gave it the time of day?

Back in 1.7.10, Blood Magic. Avoided it like the plague cuz it's complicated, doesn't share resources with much else so you don't get a lot of bootstrapping up the chain, but holy poo poo the blood armor's really really good once you can make it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Which 1.12.2 mod should I count on for getting light blocks? It looks like I found one for magnum torches, but now I need generic, colored, pain, lit blocks.

chairface posted:

Back in 1.7.10, Blood Magic. Avoided it like the plague cuz it's complicated, doesn't share resources with much else so you don't get a lot of bootstrapping up the chain, but holy poo poo the blood armor's really really good once you can make it.

I tried Blood Magic in Blightfall formally last time I tried that pack. It wasn't as bad as I thought for at least doing what the pack asks of it, but it seemed absolutely grindtastic to keep upgrading the altar.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I mostly ignored Storage Drawers for a while when starting out modded Minecraft, only using it for storing huge-mass stuff like cobble, reasoning that it wasn't worth trying to make space for these huge drawer systems when I could just use chests and be done with it. In my defense I was still operating under the "vanilla" mindset where there wasn't a whole ton of different stuff you needed to keep in storage beyond the core materials so just having everything in chests was no big deal. It wasn't until it dawned on me just how resource-intensive modded Minecraft can be, along with just the sheer number of the items you end up making, that I revisited and it and now consider it 100% essential all the time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Super Jay Mann posted:

I mostly ignored Storage Drawers for a while when starting out modded Minecraft,...
I would be curious what your method is because I kind of have a standoff relationship with it, and I feel like I'd save a lot of time if I used it better when first starting out a new game. My big fuss is having to stand back and look at a wall of my basic crafting ingredients instead of scrolling through them in a chest. It gets harder when dealing with ingots that look very similar.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Astral Sorcery was the one for me too, it seemed overly complicated for a meager payoff until Sevtech forced me to do it and I saw how much I could do with it. I still don't like that I have to dedicate so much area to it though.

I still haven't done a full Mekanism setup so I guess that one too.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Super Jay Mann posted:

I mostly ignored Storage Drawers for a while when starting out modded Minecraft, only using it for storing huge-mass stuff like cobble, reasoning that it wasn't worth trying to make space for these huge drawer systems when I could just use chests and be done with it. In my defense I was still operating under the "vanilla" mindset where there wasn't a whole ton of different stuff you needed to keep in storage beyond the core materials so just having everything in chests was no big deal. It wasn't until it dawned on me just how resource-intensive modded Minecraft can be, along with just the sheer number of the items you end up making, that I revisited and it and now consider it 100% essential all the time.

:same:

I basically refused to use storage drawers because I had iron chests and AE2/RS, what possible use could I have for something that’s only good for storing a single item? Oh right, I’m using up most of a 16k disk on cobble, dirt, gravel, and sand...

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Oh definitely Forestry and bees. It seems like a huge pain but once you figure out how to get the right traits on the bees and

JUST KIDDING BEES ARE THE WORST.

My real answer would be Stargates from playing Craft of the Titans 2. Maybe it's just because I'm such a huge fan, but flying to a planet, building a Stargate and warping around and plugging in gate addresses and saying "Chevron one encoded" out loud was just a great experience.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Oh definitely Forestry and bees. It seems like a huge pain but once you figure out how to get the right traits on the bees and

JUST KIDDING BEES ARE THE WORST.
I thought that too for a bit thanks to the original Agrarian Skies and it's hybrid configuration for things. Then I discovered bees don't work that way literally anywhere else and gently caress THAT.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Which 1.12.2 mod should I count on for getting light blocks? It looks like I found one for magnum torches, but now I need generic, colored, pain, lit blocks.

I tried Blood Magic in Blightfall formally last time I tried that pack. It wasn't as bad as I thought for at least doing what the pack asks of it, but it seemed absolutely grindtastic to keep upgrading the altar.

You can make the altar grind itself by the point it's actually requiring effort to get arbitrary blood points. I just made a sealed room full of cursed ground atop a Well of Infinite Sorrow. Then it turned out that was creating a mob singularity inside so I put MFR grinders around the thing to keep the population inside reasonable.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

chairface posted:

You can make the altar grind itself by the point it's actually requiring effort to get arbitrary blood points. I just made a sealed room full of cursed ground atop a Well of Infinite Sorrow. Then it turned out that was creating a mob singularity inside so I put MFR grinders around the thing to keep the population inside reasonable.

I wonder if it was Blightfall's configuration, but it looked kind of onerous to make all the runes to make the area that provided enough LPs to trigger the ritual. It's something I hope to revisit in 1.12.2 some day.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Whalley posted:

My biggest problem with AS is that it's time-limited, so that's a real bummer for playability. Having something you can't do during the day is kind of lame.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

My biggest problem with AS is that it's time-limited, so that's a real bummer for playability. Having something you can't do during the day is kind of lame.

Pair it with Blood Magic. It has a widget that lets you instantly turn it to nighttime. You can use this to rapidly iterate the moon phase, as well as prolong a night with a desired moon phase.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

chairface posted:

It's pretty telling of the mod that every single time I see a solution to the ridiculous blood requirements it has, the answer given is "use these blocks from another mod that interact in an unintended way". You're SoL if the pack doesn't have cursed earth!

Okay, that's not entirely fair. You could use MFR (or whatever it's called these days) safari nets to manually spawn and sacrifice villagers, or capture a bunch of witches in a well of suffering who'll keep regenerating themselves fast enough to never die.
But those are the only three solutions I really ever see, and they all rely on other mods. That's not really proof that it isn't a grind.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

It's pretty telling of the mod that every single time I see a solution to the ridiculous blood requirements it has, the answer given is "use these blocks from another mod that interact in an unintended way". You're SoL if the pack doesn't have cursed earth!

Okay, that's not entirely fair. You could use MFR (or whatever it's called these days) safari nets to manually spawn and sacrifice villagers, or capture a bunch of witches in a well of suffering who'll keep regenerating themselves fast enough to never die.
But those are the only three solutions I really ever see, and they all rely on other mods. That's not really proof that it isn't a grind.

If you really HAD to you could do a pure vanilla mob farm to feed the Well of Sorrow. It'd just take up way more space. And be more hassle than using MFR spawners or cursed earth or or or

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Self-sacrifice is much more viable post 1.7 if you use the Tranquility mechanic.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

chairface posted:

If you really HAD to you could do a pure vanilla mob farm to feed the Well of Sorrow. It'd just take up way more space. And be more hassle than using MFR spawners or cursed earth or or or
My experience is that most mob farms don't work very well outside a skyblock setting, especially not if you don't go around lighting up all the caves in the area first.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Self-sacrifice is much more viable post 1.7 if you use the Tranquility mechanic.
I'd heard bits and pieces about that but never really looked into it. Guess now's the time to do so.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Looking it up, that sounds really stupid to set up since you have to either install it under your altar, where you can't see most of it, or above your altar, where you can't see most of it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I'd heard bits and pieces about that but never really looked into it. Guess now's the time to do so.

It's pretty slick. Basically, instead of sitting there cutting yourself repeatedly like an emo Michael J. Fox, you take one big slice, nearly kill yourself, but pretty much fill up the altar in the process with huge bonuses based on tranquility and self-sacrifice runes.

McFrugal posted:

Looking it up, that sounds really stupid to set up since you have to either install it under your altar, where you can't see most of it, or above your altar, where you can't see most of it.

Yeah, it goes under your altar, usually. However, so does the Well of Suffering, and it's not like you can see inside that, either, since it usually needs to be dark.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's pretty slick. Basically, instead of sitting there cutting yourself repeatedly like an emo Michael J. Fox, you take one big slice, nearly kill yourself, but pretty much fill up the altar in the process with huge bonuses based on tranquility and self-sacrifice runes.
Seems like that'd mostly be limited to an altar's capacity, while most of the higher level stuff I did in modpacks required a constant refilling during the process. Guess it relies more on capacity runes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Seems like that'd mostly be limited to an altar's capacity, while most of the higher level stuff I did in modpacks required a constant refilling during the process. Guess it relies more on capacity runes.

Yeah, the main drawback is that there's not a great way to "trickle charge" your soul network as well. Capacity runes are cool and good, though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I've put over 100 hours into this Gregtech New Horizons pack so far, and I've come to realize that it's basically 3D Factorio with Bobs+Angels mods. You have all the machine tiers, intermediate crafting steps, machines making crafting stuff easier, higher tech levels giving more options to process stuff, etc. It's scratching an itch I didn't know I had and I loving love it.

There, I said it. I think I am in love with Gregtech. Wires and pipes don't auto connect, and only connect if and when I want them to. I can set a machine side to output while facing it and no access to the sides. True, pumps and conveyors may take a bit more to craft than thermal expansion servos, but they feel meaty and like they have a purpose.

I'm still in the LV age.. currently working on setting up oil processing chains so I can swap my base over from creosote railcraft steam to light fuel combustion engines. It's very much shades of Angels oil processing right now.. looking at NEI, I think MV will open up some serious options for that.

Also, I loving love the volt/amp electric system and smart EU requesting. I can have an 8amp cable connected to a 1amp cable and if machines at the end don't need that much power, they'll never request it and it's not a problem. IC2, this is not.

I got the 19x19 electric prospector's scanner at the start, and added Stepup, Ore Excavation, and Cooking for blockheads. It's very nice being able to nearly instantly find a vein I need, veinmine the entire thing into 2-4 forestry backpacks, and then spend all my time messing with machines and processing stuff. Also taking extensive advantage of journeymap waypoint teleports.

e. have a little machine area screenshot. 16 railcraft coke ovens, fully automated with gregtech pipes/conveyors/pumps, processing spruce wood for creosote which gets piped to the left side into a 2x2x2 high pressure railcraft steam boiler, then to the steam tank and to 6 basic steam turbines. I had put ~4000 coal ore through it which filled the tank up nicely, but it's not quite sustainable with spruce wood, hence working on light fuel combustion power. Still need to figure out what I want to do with that 4000 coke... It will be nice having on demand power rather than losing so much during period of low demand. that railcraft boiler takes over an hour to heat up... it's been running continuously for nearly 40 hours now.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 8, 2018

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I might honestly have to try out GTNH now since people are hyping it up. Once I finish up Enigmatica 2 Expert mode at least.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I tried that "not-a-skyblock" Stoneblock modpack and one of the first lootbags I opened gave me a post-endgame Avaritia sword with Looting 25 on it and the ability to make regular skeletons drop wither skulls. It also kills apparently everything in one hit.
This is arguably the first useful thing I've ever gotten from a lootbag and boy is it. I've just skipped a bunch of steps and don't mind at all. Thanks, suckers.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

I might honestly have to try out GTNH now since people are hyping it up. Once I finish up Enigmatica 2 Expert mode at least.

Alternatively, try Gregblock. It is all of the gregtech stuff, but since it uses the bog standard ex nihilo crap, the ore hunting minigame is completely absent.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Blood Magic wasn't too bad, find a spawner and funnel the mobs onto a slab above an altar then stab their feet with your saccing knife until you can get enough to make a full sized altar with a ritual to automate it. Only a little self stabbing needed.
Any pack with the ability to move spawners makes it even easier.

Once I had a well of suffering going I usually used an Extra Utilities or DE witch spawner to keep constant witches in it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ambaire posted:

I've put over 100 hours into this Gregtech New Horizons pack so far, and I've come to realize that it's basically 3D Factorio with Bobs+Angels mods. You have all the machine tiers, intermediate crafting steps, machines making crafting stuff easier, higher tech levels giving more options to process stuff, etc. It's scratching an itch I didn't know I had and I loving love it.

There, I said it. I think I am in love with Gregtech. Wires and pipes don't auto connect, and only connect if and when I want them to. I can set a machine side to output while facing it and no access to the sides. True, pumps and conveyors may take a bit more to craft than thermal expansion servos, but they feel meaty and like they have a purpose.

I'm still in the LV age..

Tell me if you're still enjoying it after you get to EV.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Depends posted:

Any pack with the ability to move spawners makes it even easier.

Ahhh, the good old Diamond Dolly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I prefer the mod that lets you grab poo poo if you have both hands empty so you're just sprinting through the world holding a spawner over your head while screaming

the only thing that would make it better is if the spawner kept spawning poo poo