Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

feedmegin posted:

And didn't win either of those wars by doing so, mind you.
Yeah but afaik basically all the weapons the US's enemies used came from outside the bombed area, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah but afaik basically all the weapons the US's enemies used came from outside the bombed area, no?

Yes But douhet’s theory is that the bomber starts and ends the war, that merely by bombing from air the war ends on the losing side submitting. This theory was the hot poo poo on 1930s and turned out to.. well, not really play out for the simple reason that countries Keep on trucking even If somebody dumps bombs on them.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Valtonen posted:

Yes But douhet’s theory is that the bomber starts and ends the war, that merely by bombing from air the war ends on the losing side submitting. This theory was the hot poo poo on 1930s and turned out to.. well, not really play out for the simple reason that countries Keep on trucking even If somebody dumps bombs on them.

Isn't MAD an extension of Douhet's theories, since it was developed when the expected method of delivering nukes was a heavy strategic bomber with free fall bombs?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looks like I forgot to update last week, so you get a double feature:

Study of the Ferdinand in the USSR
25-pounder Baby

Queue: 37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3, 36 inch Little David mortar, 105 mm howitzer M3, 15 cm sIG 33, 10.5 cm leFH 18, 7.5 cm LG 40, 10.5 cm LG 42, 17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf., 47 mm wz.25 infantry gun, Tiger (P), Scorpion, SKS, Australian Centurions in Vietnam, PzIII Ausf. E and F, PzIII Ausf. G and H, Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR, PzIII Ausf.J-N, Russian Renault, Nashorn/Hornisse, Medium Tank M4A2E8, P.1000 and other work by Grotte, KV-100 and KV-122, Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR, Western spherical tanks, S35 in German service, SU-152 combat debut

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18
Kalashnikov's debut works
MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I
T-34 applique armour projects
T-26 with mine detection equipment
IS-2 mod. 1944

:britain:
Archer
Challenger I NEW

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82
57 mm gun M1
Medium Tank M4A4
Hellcat

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Grosstraktor
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles
Panzer IV/70
Czech anti-tank rifles in German service

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000
FIAT L6-40
M13/40, M14/41, M15/42

:poland:
Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s

:eurovision:
Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR NEW

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 7th October 1918 posted:

At dawn our patrol ascertained definitely that the enemy had not withdrawn. The activity of the enemy artillery was much diminished while our own was much greater and carried out bombardments on the enemy wire and on his positions particularly of BEL AISE FARM.
Operation Orders for the operations for the 8th October were received at 7-30 p.m.
The task allotted to the 111th Infantry Brigade was to attack and capture the MASNIERES - BEAUREVOIR LINE from about 500 yards north of BEL AISE to West of MEZIERES Farm and the sunken roads north from MEZIERES FARM. The 10th R. Fus. were detailed to carry out the major part of these operations, attacking the MASNIERES - BEAUREVOIR LINE in a South easterly direction from assembly positions east and northeast of CHENEAUX COPSE (i.e. attacking in enfilade) under a creeping barrage moving at the of 100 yards in four minutes.

The task of the Battalion was threefold:-
(1) to support the attack in depth.
(2) to take the line of the objective from MEZIERES FARM - LITTLE HOUSE and consolidate,
(3) to safeguard the right flank of the Brigade.

The 21st Division were to attack at the same time, their attack coming from the south along the MASNIERES - BEAUREVOIR LINE until in touch with the 37th Division when the direction of their attack would turn east and continue in line with the 37th Division.

The Battalion scheme for carrying out their allotted task was as follows :-
Assembly positions were practically identical with the previous dispositions of the Battalion. When the barrage had passed across their front D Company was to push forward in rear of it and go on to take the line MEZIERES FARM - LITTLE HOUSES and consolidate on it.
C Company was ordered to support D Company conforming to their movements and eventually occupying the trenches in N.13.c. and d. just west of LITTLE HOUSES.
A & B Companies were to form a defensive flank to the right in a trench line running from about 400 yards south to about 800 yards north east of BONNE ENFANCE FARM - with A company on theright and B Company on the left. The latter when the barrage permitted had to push out to their left and get into touch with D Company on the objective. A & B Companies to be position by ZERO minus 1 hour. Notice was received that ZERO hour would be 4-30 a.m.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks like I forgot to update last week, so you get a double feature:

Study of the Ferdinand in the USSR
25-pounder Baby

You have to laugh at the fellow in the comments who suggested the Germans invent a 'baby' Tiger and Panther for jungle use. One wonders what he would suggest be removed to lighten those tanks...

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fangz posted:

You have to laugh at the fellow in the comments who suggested the Germans invent a 'baby' Tiger and Panther for jungle use. One wonders what he would suggest be removed to lighten those tanks...

Easy. Get rid of most of the armor, but leave a little bit at the front. You can save some more weight by angling the front armor, so you can get away with having less of it. The gun is overkill, so if we downgrade that a little bit, we save even more weight. And we just invented the T-34 and Sherman.

You're right internet dude, the Germans should have made baby Tigers, it would have been great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I read your post and was like "where on earth would the Germans have a need for a Special Jungle Tank" and then I read the comment and :wtc:

If the Germans were going to send the Japanese armored fighting vehicles why wouldn't they just send the StuG III for starters? and assuming the Germans could send the Japanese heavy equipment (LMAO), CKD ME 262s and Panzerschreks would be far more useful.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Geisladisk posted:

Easy. Get rid of most of the armor, but leave a little bit at the front.

They tried that and it, uh, didn't go well

quote:

The first day gave minor problems and was abandoned after only 13 miles (21 km) of easy on-road driving. However, the driver was already exhausted by this time, finding that the steering levers needed his full weight to operate and that the seat, footbrake and gear lever all carried risk of physical injury in using them. The Officer in Charge decided to abandon the trials there and then as it was impossible and unsafe to continue, reporting that "in his view the entire project should be closed".

The sole Valiant was retained by the School of Tank Technology, where students were treated to an inspection of it at the end of their course and invited to find fault. David Fletcher wrote of this: "One hopes they started early in the morning."

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJni42kJIEg&t=1150s

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 8, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

quote:

The sole Valiant was retained by the School of Tank Technology, where students were treated to an inspection of it at the end of their course and invited to find fault. David Fletcher wrote of this: "One hopes they started early in the morning."
i love listening to british people roast something until it happens to me

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
this is kind of impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIRJTIkyuqw

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
also, the head on the lieutenant in brown is quai-gon jin

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

i love listening to british people roast something until it happens to me

David Fletcher discusses the A38 Valiant at length in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF0hRJ09Q-E

quote:

Once the driver got in (the tank), he was immediately in severe danger. For a start, if he moved the gear lever into first gear, it got trapped behind the battery box, and he actually needed a crowbar to get it out again, which isn't an ideal setup, really.

I could listen to this man drone on about anything for hours. I wish he was my granddad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

also, the head on the lieutenant in brown is quai-gon jin

I think the soldier next to him is Anakin too, but his face has been chewed up a little. It wouldn't have occurred to me if it weren't for Johnny Thunder wearing his shirt while feeding the machine gun.

It's weird that I recognize so many of the faces, from Aquashark guy to the bad guy samurai to Black Bart and Ice Planet Astronaut, and then the internet makes it easy to cross reference and identify specifically. Apparently the sweaty face is "Gorilla Suit Guy". And then they all die in the horrors of war.

No lego-barbed wire though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I once saw a guy argue that the Soviets copied the IS-3 from the British, and it was basically the Valiant but bigger. His entire argument hinged on the pike looking bit in the front of the tank.

The same guy also argued that the Soviets copied the F-34 from Japan, because the shape of the gun mantlet was similar to that of some Japanese gun in a completely different caliber.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i hope you reported him to the NKVD for anti-Soviet propaganda

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the IS-3, is there a manual or guide somewhere out there on how to drive it?

I've been trying to find one for familiarization purposes. All I find while googling is the WOT game.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
If you google "Руководство по материальной части и эксплуатации танка ИС-3" then there are a few download links, but I couldn't find anything with OCR'd text so you could at least run it through Google translate.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

If you google "Руководство по материальной части и эксплуатации танка ИС-3" then there are a few download links, but I couldn't find anything with OCR'd text so you could at least run it through Google translate.

Thanks! I will try these random Russian websites at home on a VM.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's a long weekend, so have a bonus update:

37 mm Gun M3

Queue: 36 inch Little David mortar, 105 mm howitzer M3, 15 cm sIG 33, 10.5 cm leFH 18, 7.5 cm LG 40, 10.5 cm LG 42, 17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf., 47 mm wz.25 infantry gun, Tiger (P), Scorpion, SKS, Australian Centurions in Vietnam, PzIII Ausf. E and F, PzIII Ausf. G and H, Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR, PzIII Ausf.J-N, Russian Renault, Nashorn/Hornisse, Medium Tank M4A2E8, P.1000 and other work by Grotte, KV-100 and KV-122, Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR, Western spherical tanks, S35 in German service, SU-152 combat debut, 57 mm gun M1

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18
Kalashnikov's debut works
MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I
T-34 applique armour projects
T-26 with mine detection equipment
IS-2 mod. 1944

:britain:
Archer
Challenger I NEW

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82

Medium Tank M4A4
Hellcat

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Grosstraktor
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles
Panzer IV/70
Czech anti-tank rifles in German service

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000
FIAT L6-40
M13/40, M14/41, M15/42

:poland:
Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s

:eurovision:
Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR NEW

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 11, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://i.imgur.com/Eu79k5j.gifv

Restored 88mm FlaK - Live Fire

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Putting your anti-tank gun at the crest of a hill without as much as a dugout, amateur mistake.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Putting your anti-tank gun at the crest of a hill without as much as a dugout, amateur mistake.

Perfectly adequate for loving up your neighbor's garden gnomes.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man that is a large gun

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Restoring the gun isn't the bit that impresses me, it's restoring/manufacturing ammunition for it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it... supposed to scooch around like that? :crossarms:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fire and maneuver, my man.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

Is it... supposed to scooch around like that? :crossarms:

The mount is designed for firing upwards, since it's an AA gun. These guys are firing with the gun depressed, so it's pulling the whole thing upwards, which negatively impacts stability. This is not a unique "feature", lots of guns scooted around after firing and needed the aim to be corrected for the next shot.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Geisladisk posted:

Fire and maneuver, my man.

Shoot and scoot!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

David Fletcher discusses the A38 Valiant at length in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF0hRJ09Q-E

I could listen to this man drone on about anything for hours. I wish he was my granddad.

That's a feature, it means there's no chance of retreat. Blitzkrieg!!!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If they fired fast enough they could retreat while firing which was verboten. They weren't allowed to use them because of this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The real reason for the war on two fronts is so that the 88s can alternate their fire westwards and eastwards

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume you need very different shells for AA and AT. Would any given gun have both available, or would they be issued depending on what the gun was positioned for?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
new meme

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Stop Triggering me!

Do you have any idea how to loving use an apostrophe?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Remulak posted:

Stop Triggering me!

Do you have any idea how to loving use an apostrophe?

i don't make memes, i'm not a loser. i just post them if i see them on my tumblr subscriptions

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Isn't that the one the nazi kiddes are jumping on to dehumanize everyone loving sane?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

SeanBeansShako posted:

Isn't that the one the nazi kiddes are jumping on to dehumanize everyone loving sane?

Not just them, but yeah. It's just a new iteration on the good ol' "sheeple".

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume you need very different shells for AA and AT. Would any given gun have both available, or would they be issued depending on what the gun was positioned for?

The AA batteries had a small allotment of AP rounds afaik depending on their location. Also the tank version on tiger used different fuses, But the fuse could be changed on the spot so there are cases of heavy tank battalions stealing ammo from their AA detachment.

Then again as far as germans go thats the norm- only reason Rommel made it to the sea in france was him stealing all the fuel and ammo his neighboring units had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

yea we're either NPCs or "bugmen," the common thread being that we can't really think or feel, unlike them.
philosophical zombies ifyou're familiar with the term

therefore their thoughts and deeds no longer trouble their conscience! very tidy