Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
phone so thicc tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
But what if it's their new chat client, "Allo Again"?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
nah it’s google so they will give it an incredibly generic name that makes it impossible to search for normally but then they’ll gently caress with the search results to only show results for it.

google hello
google messages
google texting

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

"it's that time again"

even google can't pretend to be excited about new phones now with more clocks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
get hype

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1048590988543811584

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it’s got both a notch and a forehead. brilliant!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a thin straight bezel all the way along the top is 1000% better than a notch and i have no loving clue why apple did it or why everyone else is copying it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the entire industry recognizing andy rubins vision and leadership

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

a thin straight bezel all the way along the top is 1000% better than a notch and i have no loving clue why apple did it or why everyone else is copying it

everyone else is doing it because apple did it.

why apple did it remains a mystery, but we might as well blame sir jony

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
google allo guv'nah!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

if i was a conspiracy theorist i would think that facial unlock technology is a long term plan to empower cops to force people to unlock their phones routinely, since no one has a reasonable expectation of privacy in the appearance of their own face and you're not actually coercing them to anything except continue standing there so blah blah fourth amendment doesn't apply

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fun trick with iOS is if you say "hey Siri whose phone is this?" it requires a password to be unlocked.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if you hold the power and volume up buttons for a sec that will also lock down an iPhone

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Shifty Pony posted:

fun trick with iOS is if you say "hey Siri whose phone is this?" it requires a password to be unlocked.

it also tells me who it belongs to and my contact numbers.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Linguica posted:

if i was a conspiracy theorist i would think that facial unlock technology is a long term plan to empower cops to force people to unlock their phones routinely, since no one has a reasonable expectation of privacy in the appearance of their own face and you're not actually coercing them to anything except continue standing there so blah blah fourth amendment doesn't apply

even if you’re a cynical conspiracist this is a dumb theory because companies don’t put in more expensive hardware into their phones for the benefit of the cops.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

even if you’re a cynical conspiracist this is a dumb theory because companies don’t put in more expensive hardware into their phones for the benefit of the cops.

Apple does

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Well, yes the increased performance and reliability does benefit a legal investigation by providing data swiftly.

can you imagine how long it has to take on anroid to even find where the gently caress anything is

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Partycat posted:

Well, yes the increased performance and reliability does benefit a legal investigation by providing data swiftly.

can you imagine how long it has to take on anroid to even find where the gently caress anything is

Please seek help for your inability to read, namaste

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Linguica posted:

why facial unlock?

all biometrics are covered, if you use touch id the cops can still force you to unlock your phone. the only thing they can't do is force you to hand over a pin/password

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lambert posted:

But what if it's their new chat client, "Allo Again"?

Leesin carefully! I shall say this only wanz...

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

facial unlock more like fecal unclog

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

infernal machines posted:

why facial unlock?

all biometrics are covered, if you use touch id the cops can still force you to unlock your phone. the only thing they can't do is force you to hand over a pin/password
you can refuse to put your finger on the sensor and the cop would have to physically force you and then it could be challenged in court. but you can't refuse to have your face and you will have no legal recourse after justice kavanaugh pens the opinion

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

I’d blame that more on the developer then the standard

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Linguica posted:

you can refuse to put your finger on the sensor and the cop would have to physically force you and then it could be challenged in court. but you can't refuse to have your face and you will have no legal recourse after justice kavanaugh pens the opinion

faceid requires attention. just dont look at the phone.

this is why it doesnt work on dead people (the cops have already tried)

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I configured my Face ID with my penis just try and unlock my phone now pigs :smug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i didn't know iphone x had a macro lens in front

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

akadajet posted:

why on earth did they make flutter? lol

Chrome team hack project + Dart team needs something to do + React Native is not a great dev experience

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
flutter exists to decouple google apps from android. I don’t mean to imply there’s a bigger overall strategy at google, because there isn’t, just that some team has this need so here we are.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

Chrome team hack project + Dart team needs something to do + React Native is not a great dev experience

i've been using react native for a couple of weeks and it's not bad

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

faceid requires attention. just dont look at the phone.

this is why it doesnt work on dead people (the cops have already tried)

I feel like there’s a method involving scotch tape that gets around this. it may involve a sharpie

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Achmed Jones posted:

I feel like there’s a method involving scotch tape that gets around this. it may involve a sharpie

faceid at bernies?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Linguica posted:

If you do it slightly wrong a few times it requires the password unlock.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Google is killing Google+

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Another beloved Google service is being shut down.
RIP Google+ :dings:

efb

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
so who had google+ as the next product on the chopping block

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I didn't because I forgot that it existed, op

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
idk about faceid but if you hit the power button 5 times the phone will disable fingerprint login and require passcode

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

idk about faceid but if you hit the power button 5 times the phone will disable fingerprint login and require passcode

it also requires passwords if you have faceid

be warned that unless you go into settings it will automatically call 911 3 seconds after you've done this. you can cancel the call if youre quick enough

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
google+ for business is still thing, though, so be sure to continue asking potential employers whether they're dumb enough to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
rip in piss, google+, a.k.a "the worse facebook"

• Locked thread