Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sky Shadowing posted:

I understand why this game's getting good reviews because issues aside there's something underlying that's just... good about it. A review at this point would be "in all confidence wait for sales so it won't be so broken but get it on sale."

As much as I think 3rd edition and RTwP are the devil, Pathfinder seems like a genuine improvement on it and Kingmaker seems like a pretty good campaign. I just wish this was a little more faithful and a lot less buggy. Luckily they're patching regularly and mods are already in play.

e: gently caress i'm at the top again, here's some kittens

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Any good character building guides? I've played the BG series etc but the UI here is terrible and I'm finding it really difficult to plan out my character at character creation.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Mehrunes posted:

As much as I think 3rd edition and RTwP are the devil, Pathfinder seems like a genuine improvement on it and Kingmaker seems like a pretty good campaign. I just wish this was a little more faithful and a lot less buggy. Luckily they're patching regularly and mods are already in play.

e: gently caress i'm at the top again, here's some kittens

I do definitely respect the magus for being a pretty drat good gish rather than being kinda awkward in d20 stuff. I do still sometimes wonder about things like the fighter's capstone seeming really really really underwhelming, and the limitations of the Defender prestige class's deal being a few rounds.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gorelab posted:

I do definitely respect the magus for being a pretty drat good gish rather than being kinda awkward in d20 stuff. I do still sometimes wonder about things like the fighter's capstone seeming really really really underwhelming, and the limitations of the Defender prestige class's deal being a few rounds.

It's not too surprising, after all Paizo made Pathfinder after the "newest D&D made 'everyone into casters'" so caster supremacy and blah stuff for fighters is expected!

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 8, 2018

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

adamarama posted:

Any good character building guides? I've played the BG series etc but the UI here is terrible and I'm finding it really difficult to plan out my character at character creation.

one thing that stuck out for me: there is no Druid companion, and the one Ranger comes pretty late in the chapters

this becomes clear when you do your own party of Cleric Crusader (with Animal Deity), Regular Druid and Thief/Ranger and realize how loving insane Animal Pets are, especially Smilodons

edit: thinking about this I assuma this is the base party The Russians playtested with, because I had no problems in fights

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Cheers, yeah I'm torn between druid and sorceror. My sense is that there's not many companions who are arcane casters? The Magus guy looks good and I believe Octavia segues into arcane trickster. Am I missing something? Druid looks good but divine casting seems to be well covered by the companions.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Go druid/sorc and make a mystic theurge, except I heard they are not good.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

reading this thread makes me feel pretty lucky that the only bugs ive experienced that actually have an effect on the game so far have been bugs that just make me stronger. I have 33 smite evils per day with that paladin full plate lol

linall
Feb 1, 2007

adamarama posted:

Cheers, yeah I'm torn between druid and sorceror. My sense is that there's not many companions who are arcane casters? The Magus guy looks good and I believe Octavia segues into arcane trickster. Am I missing something? Druid looks good but divine casting seems to be well covered by the companions.

As far as I've gotten ( The Bloom stuff ) Octavia and Regongar are the only companion to have arcane casting. Also as someone else in the thread mentioned it's pretty obvious that Tristan is set up to go Mystic Theurge so I guess maybe he counts? Arcane casting does seem a bit under-represented in relation to divine but that was pretty likely to happen when they give you two clerics for some reason.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Chairchucker posted:

Go druid/sorc and make a mystic theurge, except I heard they are not good.

the rule of thumb with pathfinder is generally prestige classes are not great

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

one thing that stuck out for me: there is no Druid companion, and the one Ranger comes pretty late in the chapters

The ranger is a lot less connected to the story than the other companions too. And he's a Ranger with a pet as well!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Also the ranger rules.

Also IMO neutral actions shouldn't move your alignment on that axis. If I, a paladin, choose the neutral good option, it shouldn't move my alignment towards falling.

Blockhouse posted:

the rule of thumb with pathfinder is generally prestige classes are not great

The arcane trickster seems decent, is it not?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Also the ranger rules.

Also IMO neutral actions shouldn't move your alignment on that axis. If I, a paladin, choose the neutral good option, it shouldn't move my alignment towards falling.

I feel like the game needs to offer you fewer choices that are (for example) just Lawful good, Neutral and then Chaotic Evil. Because when I'm Chaotic good I don't want to become Lawful thanks but then I also feel like I've just not got any other choice.
My character has already gone from Chaotic to Neutral because of all the choices that force it if I want to be good.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah it would have freed up more design space had they just used one modal part, i.e. choices that are just along the good evil axis or just the chaos law axis

I mean they already did this in the tutorial!

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

linall posted:

As far as I've gotten ( The Bloom stuff ) Octavia and Regongar are the only companion to have arcane casting. Also as someone else in the thread mentioned it's pretty obvious that Tristan is set up to go Mystic Theurge so I guess maybe he counts? Arcane casting does seem a bit under-represented in relation to divine but that was pretty likely to happen when they give you two clerics for some reason.

Please don't make Tristian a Mystic Theurge. Sorcerer will delay 3rd level spells even more and then deny 9th level to both classes. I do like idea of MT a lot but you really shouldn't make him with Sorc even though doubledipping Wis seems good.

I actually started new game aiming for that prestige with wizard/druid and Tristian and Octavia full timing their classes seem to cover that awkward 5-8 lvl spot so far.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Also the ranger rules.

The rule of thumb is generally due to the issue that most of the classes Pathfinder either ported over or invented keep gaining features or progressing in relevant ways as they go up in levels, rather than the old 3.5 issue where a bunch are frontloaded and then have either nothing or minor buffs. There are also the capstones for most classes to encourage single-classing as well. Wizard (and Clerics, for that matter) are kind of the exception to that rule though, in that neither has a capstone, and level progression in either doesn't come with too many bonuses - especially after lvl 8, when both generally get the second ability of their domain/school.

As for Theurge, it has always been a somewhat dubious choice due to the massive slowdown in spell progression, and loss of anything else from the base classes, in order to get in to Theurge - Tristian, for example, needs Cleric 3/Sorcerer 4 to get in, and being at 6th/7th level with only 2nd level spells and nothing else worth mentioning is painful. Yeah, once you've mostly completely Mystic Theurge it's decent, but everything leading up to that is a slog. You can get around that slog in this game though simply by using someone else in your party and just building Tristian for that on the side.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

adamarama posted:

This guy puts up decent guides: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?NerdCommandoGames

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

I'm leveling him as a Theurge while using Harrim, and I don't really intend to touch him much until higher levels. If he ends up sucking, I won't really care too much since I find the dwarf to be more interesting anyway.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

ugusername posted:

Please don't make Tristian a Mystic Theurge. Sorcerer will delay 3rd level spells even more and then deny 9th level to both classes. I do like idea of MT a lot but you really shouldn't make him with Sorc even though doubledipping Wis seems good.

I actually started new game aiming for that prestige with wizard/druid and Tristian and Octavia full timing their classes seem to cover that awkward 5-8 lvl spot so far.

I didn't say I was going to. Just that it's pretty obvious that the devs have him set up that way as he's already the terrible pass on armor/weapon proficiencies cleric subclass. I'm not even using Tristian, as Harrim is clearly superior.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The lack of armor would point you towards theurge, but the class itself is already supposed to be something of a healing sorcerer as it is. Specially since i believe his main domain is fire.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

adamarama posted:

I was in the same position.
There is no Druid, but yeah, the divine casting niche is covered pretty well. On the other hand Octavia is the only Wizard/Sorcerer and she's set up to become an Arcane Trickster.
In the end I took the obvious compromise option and went Sylvan Sorcerer.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
There are no druid monk or paladin companions.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

malhavok posted:

paladin companions.

Valerie gives you all the overbearing bullshit of traveling with a Paladin, and none of the benefit!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've read the first five and last two pages of the thread and I dont see any links that point to a proper place to read up on:

JamMasterJim posted:

It's DnD 3.75. You should just read up on some of the extra core/prestige classes the game offers.
Smalls differences in spells, feats and some mechanics will become obvious as you play since you are familiar(like in Pathfinder, you can sneak attack undead)
I'm mildly interested in the game but definitely want to read up on that stuff first. I loved me some DnD 3.5 but that was a good 15 years ago at this point.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've read the first five and last two pages of the thread and I dont see any links that point to a proper place to read up on:

I'm mildly interested in the game but definitely want to read up on that stuff first. I loved me some DnD 3.5 but that was a good 15 years ago at this point.

Don't get the game.

But there's a pathfinder wiki for the pen and paper game. Many of the game's descriptions are straight up copy pasted from there so you can use it to read up. The pathfinder reddit is also good and really active.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So for those that are further in the game, what are the trap kingdom events? Do any of the long duration things do anything useful at all that outweighs the inability to clear up negative events?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

That project to restore the Elk temple seems like the good-guy thing to do but it ties up your advisor for two fuckin months so I'm not so sure about it

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I just purchased this yesterday. I don't know the pathfinder system at all, but was intrigued by the very D&D like style that I enjoyed when I was a kid. I like the modern cRPGs, but never quite jibed with how they make some of the races, classes, etc. In D&D, elves weren't weird cannibals or oppressed by humans or whatever. I can play as a half-elven which I almost always did back in the day. I rolled a ranger to start, but and made it to the trading post, but I'll likely get rollitis and want to re-roll. Is an inquisitor any good?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

That project to restore the Elk temple seems like the good-guy thing to do but it ties up your advisor for two fuckin months so I'm not so sure about it

I did it and it felt so utterly pointless, you get so few points compared to the time it takes.
It almost feels like those huge projects were made by different people than the events - people who didn't know how much +3 divinity actually meant.

Same goes for the curse projects.

Moral_Hazard posted:

I just purchased this yesterday. I don't know the pathfinder system at all, but was intrigued by the very D&D like style that I enjoyed when I was a kid. I like the modern cRPGs, but never quite jibed with how they make some of the races, classes, etc. In D&D, elves weren't weird cannibals or oppressed by humans or whatever. I can play as a half-elven which I almost always did back in the day. I rolled a ranger to start, but and made it to the trading post, but I'll likely get rollitis and want to re-roll. Is an inquisitor any good?

As a non-Pathfinder player I found the Inquisitor a bit role-less and it wasn't easy to work out what I'm meant to be doing in a party. A normal cleric can wear the same armour and gets far more casts of spells, I dunno.

Also it's funny how Pathfinder has shown that people are really craving a "traditional roles" RPG rather than the genre bending games that have come out. Which is a shame, because Pillars 2 is really really good. And so are Witcher and Dragon Age!

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Taear posted:

I did it and it felt so utterly pointless, you get so few points compared to the time it takes.
It almost feels like those huge projects were made by different people than the events - people who didn't know how much +3 divinity actually meant.

Same goes for the curse projects.
OK, so don't do them, got it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You can go buy stuff at the temple if you pay to rebuild it but thats all I saw

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Taear posted:

Also it's funny how Pathfinder has shown that people are really craving a "traditional roles" RPG rather than the genre bending games that have come out. Which is a shame, because Pillars 2 is really really good. And so are Witcher and Dragon Age!

I think some of that is just because more vanilla fantasy has become somewhat rare in good projects compared to the more offbeat stuff, even as someone who actually prefers stuff like Pillars 2 conflict over colonialism and fantasy Polynesian style, it's sometimes nice to just have Good and Evil and not have to think about it.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Moral_Hazard posted:

Is an inquisitor any good?

I like them in the tabletop game. I'm not so sure in this though. They make an OK off-healer but Banes and Judgements are really micro-intensive for the RTWP system. I'd suggest picking one of the subclasses that gives them up for other things. The pet one might not be the strongest normally, but pets a pretty darn useful in the game, so that deffo gets my vote.

Also it's worth noting that you get an inquisitor NPC companion, so if you choose a different class you don't have to miss out entirely.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
I'm having the worst time with rollitis in this game, but that happens to me with every CRPG I ever touch. By the time I get up to Oleg's, I feel like my party is carrying me through the fights without me doing a whole lot. I tried Magus, but I ended up realizing I need to focus more on melee touch spells and buffs, otherwise I'm just playing a half assed caster that can do melee.

So far Sorcerer has been a lot better, but I still see my character occasionally miss his Jolt or his Elemental Ray that he gets from his bloodline. I picked up PBS and Precise Shot and selected Spell Focus Evocation for the bonus feat. Is it normal for the spells to miss 50-60% of the time even in Easy? I haven't combed through logs yet but I'm wondering while at work what I messed up with my character before it becomes a bigger problem.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

CruzerZERO posted:

I'm having the worst time with rollitis in this game, but that happens to me with every CRPG I ever touch. By the time I get up to Oleg's, I feel like my party is carrying me through the fights without me doing a whole lot. I tried Magus, but I ended up realizing I need to focus more on melee touch spells and buffs, otherwise I'm just playing a half assed caster that can do melee.

So far Sorcerer has been a lot better, but I still see my character occasionally miss his Jolt or his Elemental Ray that he gets from his bloodline. I picked up PBS and Precise Shot and selected Spell Focus Evocation for the bonus feat. Is it normal for the spells to miss 50-60% of the time even in Easy? I haven't combed through logs yet but I'm wondering while at work what I messed up with my character before it becomes a bigger problem.

Depends on your dex and whatever you're shooting at. Magic users generally suck rear end early game dnd until they get to lv 5-6 depending on class and then they start pulling ahead.

I've been experimenting with char editor on a half orc melee vivisectionist and pure vivi seems like a pretty crazy subclass. 75% resist to crits, free bite attack at full bab, +8's and 6's to whatever the gently caress you want, sneak attacks up the wazoo, tons of magic buffs if the mutagen wasn't enough, can convert discoveries into more combat feats. Almost tempted to play through with him instead of my sorc

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CruzerZERO posted:

Try a mad dog barbarian, you get one less rage power (you won't be able to rage until level 4) in exchange for an animal companion which your other party members can buff into having ridiculously high defenses. I haven't played druid yet and there's not druid companion but I'm guessing they're pretty great as a caster and they come with their own tank.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Perfect Potato posted:

Depends on your dex and whatever you're shooting at. Magic users generally suck rear end early game dnd until they get to lv 5-6 depending on class and then they start pulling ahead.

I've been experimenting with char editor on a half orc melee vivisectionist and pure vivi seems like a pretty crazy subclass. 75% resist to crits, free bite attack at full bab, +8's and 6's to whatever the gently caress you want, sneak attacks up the wazoo, tons of magic buffs if the mutagen wasn't enough, can convert discoveries into more combat feats. Almost tempted to play through with him instead of my sorc

Gotcha, would 14 be too low? I saw some places suggest 16 for DEX but I figured I could spread out the points out for RP sake. I guess I'll tough it out with my current Sorcerer for now. Thanks!

EDIT: ^^ Regarding Barbarian and/or Druid builds, I may consider giving it a go if being a blaster is too disappointing. I get really jealous when I see Amiri cleave a dumb bandit in half but I still am hoping I'll get to blast em to bits eventually with my guy.

2nd Edit: VV I should have clarified the two spells I'm using are ranged touch.

CruzerZERO fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 8, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

Edit: Oh, I guess dex does matter for ranged touch attacks.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

CruzerZERO posted:

Gotcha, would 14 be too low? I saw some places suggest 16 for DEX but I figured I could spread out the points out for RP sake. I guess I'll tough it out with my current Sorcerer for now. Thanks!

EDIT: ^^ Regarding Barbarian and/or Druid builds, I may consider giving it a go if being a blaster is too disappointing. I get really jealous when I see Amiri cleave a dumb bandit in half but I still am hoping I'll get to blast em to bits eventually with my guy.

16 would be better early on but you can make do with 14. I'm running 14/16/14/12/7/17 right now for a sorc with dragon aspirations but a str dump sorc could get wisdom back or bump CHA up to 19 (I wouldn't recommend starting with 18 or 20 because you get 5 points on level up over the course of the game) pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linall
Feb 1, 2007

CruzerZERO posted:

You can also avoid ranged touch spells until you find/buy a dex boosting belt. Magic Missile always hits and ditto with AOE spells so something like Burning Hands ( or whatever equivalent spell you get due to your elemental bloodline ) can really help early on.