Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

rickiep00h posted:

Cole

I like Sale's numbers, but Cole's arm has ~500 fewer innings on it. Sale also apparently turned into a pumpkin in 2019.

Whit

Seems like a good pick-up, especially if he keeps producing AND if he comes with some bonus guys. I'm not keen on Urias, but I'm also not keen on trading him straight up in this case. I'd still like to give him some time to get his hitting up to snuff.

Paxton

All for it; definitely if Cole falls through and/or Whit maybe falls through. If we can somehow land all three, I think we go from fringe WC contender to definite WC contender, but I'm not sure we beat the Dodgers. Another year on top of that, though, and I'm suddenly very happy.

LA TORTUGA

GIVE THIS MAN A CONTRACT

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I have no idea what any of this means so I'm not going to vote, but it seems interesting. :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
get fuckin whit merrifield that guy owns bones

I prefer cole over sale but realistically whomever we can get cheaper with less term is a better option

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well, the Royals decided they wanted to keep Merrifield. fucken bait and switch

Sale wants the moon...35mm+ AAV and 8-10 years, so I say gently caress him too. Cole we can probably snag for 20-22 over 7 years, and I think he's a good target. His biggest problem was the long ball, and that'll improve in our ballpark over Houston.

Another interesting trade target emerged: Blake Treinen. We can have him for the low, low price of a Franchy Cordero. He's a top shelf reliever on a one year contract; he probably will want a ton of money to extend but would almost certainly bring more than Franchy at the deadline, if we choose not to extend him. Plus, this frees up an OF slot for Seth Beer, who is almost certainly ML ready.

Also, the Cardinals have soured on Justin Wilson, we could bring him back home for a couple of middling prospects and get a cheap elite bullpen arm back.

Didi wants a huge pile of money and isn't worth anywhere near what he wants. No other free agents look like significant upgrades for us.

Also Dylan Cozens and his 192 strikeouts won rookie of the year, how about that

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 8, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i knew that Merrifield trade was too good to be true

Get Treinen and Wilson

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

Another interesting trade target emerged: Blake Treinen. We can have him for the low, low price of a Franchy Cordero. He's a top shelf reliever on a one year contract; he probably will want a ton of money to extend but would almost certainly bring more than Franchy at the deadline, if we choose not to extend him. Plus, this frees up an OF slot for Seth Beer, who is almost certainly ML ready.

As much as I love Franchy, Bring Me The Witch And A Nice Cold Beer.

bewbies posted:

Didi wants a huge pile of money and isn't worth anywhere near what he wants. No other free agents look like significant upgrades for us.

Counterpoint: Sir Didi is priceless.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We get:

Blake Treinen
Justin Wilson
Austin Beck (21 year old 5-tool CF prospect, #89 last year)

Franchy Cordero
Gabriel Alejandro Arias (solid SS prospect but a long way off)
Luis Alamzar (middling SS prospect)
Andres Munoz (decent RP prospect)
Edward Olivares (nothing OF prospect)

Also, GERRIT COLE couldn't sign fast enough. We got him on a 7 year, 147m deal (7x21). He has an opt out after year 5, and year 7 is a team option.

That leaves our staff for next season at Cole, Evo, Quantrill, and then a mix of young guys (Baez, Hudson) and mediocre guys (Lucchesi, Strahm). That...has the potential for excellence, or at least not-badness.

That also took care of most of our available money. We have about $4m left now, and will probably be given some more later in the offseason. It sure would be cool if the owner reinvested the $30m in profit he made last year!

I think we should target another starting pitcher just before spring training. There should be some solid options.

Any other offseason moves?

Also, we signed THE CUBE to 8 years, 8,080,000. He's now a fixture in the community and a fan favorite.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

Also, we signed THE CUBE to 8 years, 8,080,000. He's now a fixture in the community and a fan favorite.

Whatever our record ends up being, we've already won the game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A few housekeeping notes from the rest of the offseason:

- In cleaning up some ash and trash on the 40 man roster, I offered up Rafael Lopez just to clear his spot. For some baffling reason, the Indians offered Bryan Reynolds, a ML-ready CF with a plus plus glove at all three OF positions and pretty high average bat. I have no idea why but I took the offer. He'll challenge Margot in center for sure.

- JEETS made the hall of fame

- Owner gave us and extra $6m after our ticket sales went up nearly 20%. So, we have about $10m to spend. Paxton is still on the trading block, as is Justin Verlander, who apparently was signed to a 1 year, $24m deal by the Cardinals and then immediately put on the block. THE CARDINAL WAY

There's a whole lot of nothing else left in the free agent market, unless we want to sign a Sean Doolittle with a bad elbow or a SP in the caliber of Chachin, Kyle Gibson, or Felix Hernandez.

VOTE

Do we want to: make a trade now, using our $10m in budget as bait? Probably another SP.

or

Stand pat, and bank that money for later this year?

We could also extend Blake Treinen, to the tune of maybe 3/36. Not a bad deal for a closer of his caliber.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 8, 2018

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Please save Paxton from the M's and extend Blake

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Get Paxton if we can do it without giving up anyone on the 40-man.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
gently caress it get Paxton and Verlander and extend Blake. (Can we afford all of that? Will the Cards eat any of the Verlander money?)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Agree we should get Paxton. With him and Cole heading up the rotation we might actually be... good?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Definitely go after Paxton if we don't have to give up anyone critical

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here's the deal with Big Maple:

We can get him at 50% retained for two solid roster players: Dominic Smith and Manny Margot. I'd say both of those guys are expendable: We stumbled backwards into a ready replacement for Margot, and Smith won't see much of the field for us assuming Bradley hits anywhere near his potential. Plus, we have a decent 1B LH power bat in the wings in Josh Naylor.

HOWEVER

There's no way we'll be able to resign him. He's going to ask for $20m+ for 7+ years, and there's no way we can come up with that kind of cash.

My inclination is to go with what we've got, and see where we're at at the ASB. If we think a #1 arm can make the difference at that point, we can make the move. If you want me to still make the deal now though, yell BIG MAPLE.

In the meantime:

VOTE

As I alluded to above, we have a couple of logjams at a couple positions, which is a nice problem to have. The big one is at outfield, again.

Our ML-ready outfielders are:
Justin Williams: looks like an all star at either corner. Ready to bust out.
Bryan Reynolds: plus plus fielder in center who could top out at .800 OPS.
Seth Beer: #7 overall prospect. Could OPS .800-850 this year, with lots room to grow (could be a 40 HR/400 OPB guy by next season). Minus fielder though.
Dylan Cozens: ROY last year, probably an .850-900 OPS guy with average glove.
Manny Margot: incumbent CF: plus glove in center, .750 OPS/30 SB guy

How do we want to approach this?

A - Trade one guy. Roll into the season with 4 quality OFs, let them platoon/split time/get injured.

B - Trade two guys. We are all about the starting 9.

C - Start Beer in AAA, then trade someone. He doesn't need any more minors time I don't think, but we can wait a couple weeks for service fuckery purposes.

D - Roll with all 5.

If you want A, B, or C, tell me which one you want to go. Only rule is we need to keep either Margot or Reynolds as they're the only ones competent in center.

Second, we have 2 ML-quality 1B: Bobby Bradley and Dom Smith, plus a solid young guy in Josh Naylor. Do we:

A - Trade Smith?

B - Keep them both and send down Naylor?

Finally, if we do trade off some of guys, what do we want to look for:

A - Prospects, best available

B - Cost-controlled young shortstop (note: this will likely be a very short and not very exciting list...it isn't likely we find a significant ML-ready upgrade over Cordoba)

C - Best available shortstop

D - Affordable SP

Also: Preseason notes:

Urias came back having worked on his fielding apparently (or Pete Ward had him pegged wrong). Either way, he's projected as a gold glove caliber 2B with a .350+ OBP so high hopes there.
Allen Cordoba on the other hand decided to not practice his glovework at all and lost a step at SS. He's now probably a borderline ML SS glove-wise, but should slash in the .280/350/400 range, which isn't terrible for a SS.
Bobby Bradley seems primed to hit 40 HRs and improve on his mendozaline average from last year.
Cal Quantrill and Michel Baez are slotted in as the #2 and #3 starters behind Cole. If even one of them reaches his potential this year our rotation looks a LOT better.
Trienen resigned for 3/33, with team option in the 3rd year.

I'll update site at the conclusion of Spring Training.

Also, let us take a minute to admire two elite young players.

First, Vlad Jr looks like the best ML hitter to enter the league since one Mike Trout. His scout rating is 80 contact, 80 power, 80 discipline, and he slashed 281/367/519 last year as a 19 year old rookie.

Second our very own MacKenzie (note the capital K) Gore is looking like a clone of Kershaw: 96 mph heater, 80 curveball, 80 stuff. Out of all our fantastic pitching prospects, he's the best one by a mile. He's at least a year out, but he can be special.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 8, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I kind of feel bad for dealing all the Padres homegrown dudes whose name I know, but if all it takes is Smith/Margot for Big Maple, go for it if they're expendable anyway. Trade for Paxton.

I would like to wait for the ASB too but if we gotta deal the guys it would take to get him now...

Also Bradley's gotta play, I wanna see that dude hit all the dingers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BIG MAPLE

Because honestly this solves all three of our problems outright.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

BIG MAPLE

Because honestly this solves all three of our problems outright.

kinda realized this after typing all of that out.

BIG MAPLE IS ON THE WAY

We get:
James Paxton (50% retained)
Kyle Lewis (3 star CF, borderline ML ready)

We give:
Smith
Margot
Starlin Cordero (nothing SP prospect)
Cole Bellinger (nothing 1B prospect)

note: Maple wants 7/133 to extend. This might be in the real of possibility depending on how much money we make this season.

note 2: I didn't notice that Paxton is a quality team leader, something we were missing!

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 8, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BIG MAPLE

Outfield

Option C, trade Williams and pray he crashes wherever he ends up.

1b

Send down Naylor and reassess at ASB

Acquisitions

Affordable SP. Passable innings-eater guy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

note: Maple wants 7/133 to extend. This might be in the real of possibility depending on how much money we make this season.

note 2: I didn't notice that Paxton is a quality team leader, something we were missing!

:getin:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just in case there was any doubt we're being a complete bastard when it comes to FTJ: he hit 346/455/769 in spring training.

SEE YOU IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS FERNANDO

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hell yes Taters Jr.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 Season

Well

We are predicted to finish first in the West, with a 104-58 record. This...was not expected. By anyone. Including me.

Bradley and Williams are in the top 10 MLB players. Cole and Paxton are in the top 10 pitchers.

Opening Day Lineup
Cordoba, SS
Urias, 2B
Williams, LF
Bradley, 1B
Mejia, C
Cozens, RF
Reynolds, CF
Chavis, 3B

Opening Day Pitching Staff
Paxton
Cole
Quantrill
Baez
Eovaldi

Bullpen
Treinen (CL)
Wilson
Wingenter
Maton
Wick
Yates
Lucchesi

We also still have the #1 overall farm:
#1: FTJ
#2: MacKenzie Gore
#4: Marco Luciano (last year's international signing, 19 y/o SS in A ball)
#6: Seth Beer

8 in the top 100, 11 in the top 200.

I will do the first sim later tonight. I plan on calling up FTJ by the third week of April, and possibly Beer if he's clubbing the ball.

Upload will be completed shortly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
gently caress yeah take a crowbar to that contention window.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bewbies posted:

We are predicted to finish first in the West, with a 104-58 record. This...was not expected. By anyone. Including me.

:eyepop:

Although it makes sense when you look at that proj. offense + depth.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's a great bullpen. Especially with how dominant Wilson was last season.

Seems like it'll come down to whether the team can score enough runs with the young guys. But with such a deep farm system still, you can always make a move at the deadline if there ends up being a gaping hole.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

bewbies posted:

Bradley and Williams are in the top 10 MLB players. Cole and Paxton are in the top 10 pitchers.

:eyepop:

Who knew that all it took to make the Padres good was to hand the team over to a bunch of goons and trade away literally anyone that people know about?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Note: I think that prediction is probably wildly optimistic. I'd peg us for 90 wins though.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
all right Gerrit Cole, we're getting more players I like because of who they once played for

if we can get Mookie Betts we'll have DCB Bingo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

2019 Season

and that's without FTJ factored in. :getin:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:drat: that's a hell of an off-season for us! I wanna take a look at the team page to see what we've got go-

:ohdear:

:smith:

Oh well, at least we've got the cube catcher. Let's see if we avoided any other big inj-

:raise:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
June 1st, 2018

31-21, .596, tied for first, NL West

We started the season on fire, 17-8 in April, while the Dodgers struggled at 13-14. You can see now that we've gotten worse, and they've gotten better.

The Good

- FTJ got his callup on April 20. Since then, he's been one of the best hitters in the majors at 338/394/586.
- Luis Urias seems to have found his stride at 330/417/426, with 6 steals and great play at 2B
- Bryan Reynolds has been a revalation: 349/411/518, with plus defense in center. He probably won't keep this up, but for now this is one of the most lopsided trades I've ever seen in OOTP.
- Big Maple has delivered big time, 2.56 ERA over 70+ innings so far.
- The bullpen has been lights out: best in the majors, with 6 guys with K/9 above 12.

The Bad
- Cole has been underwhelming with a 4.29 ERA over 63 innings. Giving up too many dingers.
- Eovaldi has also had a rough go at 4.82 ERA.
- Justin Williams has not delivered on the promise he showed in the minors and last season, at 285/325/421, but he's heating up after a putrid May.
- Mejia has also been underwhelming, OBPing just 300

In things that are neither good nor bad, Dylan Cozens and Bobby Bradley are both on 40 HR pace, but are also on pace for about 2 WAR a piece, which shows how limited the rest of their games are.

Also, an interesting thing happened.

VOTE

We've been getting tons of offers on Big Maple. Good offers.

Some of the best include:

- Royce Lewis, former #1 overall pick, current #5 prospect, a 5 tool shortstop who caps out like Jeter but a better fielder
- Wander Samuel Franco, a ML-ready 19 year old SS with big power potential, good speed, and a good glove. Currently #17 prospect. Think Miguel Tejada, but with some steals thrown in.
- Elehuris Montero, a power/average corner infielder (probably 1B in the majors). Currently #41 prospect

We have a number of ML-caliber starters that could step into his spot in the rotation, though they'll obviously be a huge downgrade. There's no way we'll be able to resign him, as his demand is now $26m+.

This is a significant decision.

Keep him or no? If we want to do it, we should do it now.

IcePhoenix posted:

:drat: that's a hell of an off-season for us! I wanna take a look at the team page to see what we've got go-

:ohdear:

:smith:

Oh well, at least we've got the cube catcher. Let's see if we avoided any other big inj-

:raise:

I lost this save to a power outage and had to re-run. I was devastated.

In the re-run we lost two good prospects (beck and Winder) to season long injuries so I feel like it balanced out.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 9, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

The Bad
- Mejia has also been underwhelming, OBPing just 300

Probably hard to hit with a ruptured Achilles :v:

My vote regarding Paxton is obviously for Royce Lewis

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/mlb-scout-twins-royce-lewis-is-derek-jeter-incarnate

it appears the in game scouting report on this kid mirrors real live

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Get Lewis.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Get Lewis. We're losing Big Maple after this season anyways; if we can get our Shortstop Of The Future for him that's a no fuckin' brainer.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Filling our biggest gap in return for 3 months of a starter seems like a steal.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Royce Lewis looks like an absolute stud so we should get him.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Royce Lewis for Paxton DONE DEAL

Lewis is clubbing the ball at AAA this year (283/321/468) but he's still raw as a fielder, and Cordoba has been solid enough. My suggestion is to let Cordoba finish out the year as the starting SS and let Lewis season a bit more.

Also we have the #10 pick in a draft that is utterly underwhelming. My plan is to take Pete Ward's BPA, unless someone has a major hardon for some other direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Lewis for sure. When's he due? Would be cool to have some guys in the pipe to watch for a few years down the road even if we're already competing.

• Locked thread