Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
For the Portuguese speaking goons, here's a good summary of the ways in which the judiciary hosed over the PT:

https://theintercept.com/2018/10/07/judiciario-fake-news-bolsonaro-eleicao/

It is remarkable that the same supreme court that censors any statements by Lula under the argument that it can potentially mislead voters does absolutely nothing when Bolsonaro's son posts a demonstrably fake video of voting machines being hacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

had to make sure that author wasn't ed hochuli's kid

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
To all the American goons just joining us, I just want to point out that the Obama admin was at the very, very least complicit in the soft coup of 2016, and may have helped engineer it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just watched this and I'm now scared for Brazil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3eyRSClnhU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

joepinetree posted:

To all the American goons just joining us, I just want to point out that the Obama admin was at the very, very least complicit in the soft coup of 2016, and may have helped engineer it.

god drat obama was a terrible president

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Joseance posted:

it owns so much he immediately delegated all foreign policy decisions to the worst people in the world. hope and change!!

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
will Bolsonaro ban voting or make it that voting can only be done by pressing the buttons with a gun

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Joseance posted:

Obama knew which side of the bread was buttered

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gonna find refuge amongst this madness in my favorite thing: anime

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsZ3p9gOkpY

Jesus gently caress, this guy really seems like a dictator. But holy poo poo 30% of the people in Rio were in a crossfire last year?

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Oct 8, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it extremely owns that the olympics hosed over brazil so hard that they're electing a fascist lmao

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

frajaq posted:

gonna find refuge amongst this madness in my favorite thing: anime

May I propose nationwide riots instead? Anime can wait.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it extremely owns that the olympics hosed over brazil so hard that they're electing a fascist lmao

god it really did, then the football team collapsed too

panem et circenses it certainly is not

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This album came out in 1989 but it's album cover seems pretty everygreen

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
why specifically is this worse than trump

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

cargo cult posted:

trump has not yet set up domestic death squads

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Badger of Basra posted:

ins'allah

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

That's true, it was Bush that created the DHS and ICE.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

will Bolsonaro ban voting or make it that voting can only be done by pressing the buttons with a gun

yes

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

Joseance posted:

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus gently caress, this guy really seems like a dictator. But holy poo poo 30% of the people in Rio were in a crossfire last year?

"You may have heard that he was stabbed a few weeks ago at a campaign rally, which is absolutely horrific, although he says he is making a full recovery"

John Oliver sucks so loving bad

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

cargo cult posted:

Internationally wise Brazil is pretty irrelevant, where the US is very dangerous. But for internal matters we have a military police that's way more violent than the one in US (cases that generate immense amounts of US outrage like freddie gray happen by the dozens a day in here). And now we'll probably have a military president that's willing to give them a license to kill and make cops way harder to prosecute. They'll also be the ones that break up protests so let's not rule out police firing at protests. And if they do that, the people that voted for bolsonaro will actually cheer.

This is not even 5% of it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

This album came out in 1989 but it's album cover seems pretty everygreen

Otoh "Brazil will be thew new Vietnam" is sounding positively optimistic now

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

cargo cult posted:

Trump is laughably incompetent to the point that it is difficult for him to get bills passed when he has a solid majority in all three branches of government.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i forgot cops are way more death squaddy than they are here :(

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Sometimes they send an ex-general here to go weep in front of a reporter for being accountable for too much murder.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

oliver trying to make dumb jokes after the clips of bolsonaro saying vile poo poo is incredibly awkward

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

To be frank, he was happily cheering the vz oppo bombing clinics on the vz episode. Him being extra aloof about this shjt ain't exactly new.

spivak
May 19, 2010
Yes, I usually watch The Last Week Tonight and find it ok, but this time I realized just how incredibly self-centered it is to entertain US liberals with jokes about really terrible stuff, in this case the threat of violence against my friends and family.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Glad I stopped watching after January 2017. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

cargo cult posted:

Bolsonaro and his allies have spoken against democracy and pro dictatorship many times and his followers are as been openly calling for a military intervention for a while. He is an ex-military, his vice president is a retired general and presently a good chunk of the military are on his side

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Trump is laughably incompetent to the point that it is difficult for him to get bills passed when he has a solid majority in all three branches of government.

Literally the only reason to have any hope

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lawman 0 posted:

Literally the only reason to have any hope

I would also add that the american institutions are still solid enough that an adventurer like him wont be able to burn it all down so easily and make himself a tyrant

That's deffinetly not the case here, specially not now

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I would also add that the american institutions are still solid enough that an adventurer like him wont be able to burn it all down so easily and make himself a tyrant

This is also probably only our second big crisis so woof

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

The institutions that the republican party has been busy rigging in their favour for years and now have open reign to do as they please and further their institutional power? Problem isn't Trump is that the Republican party is run by a bunch of nazis and a death cult.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

goddam SIC just love it's plastic melting face dumb rear end commentators.

She's defending him right now. It was probably a good investment for SiC since Miguel Sousa Tavares actually questioned this and you can't just have that ruining their whole shtick!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So if we can't post about assassinating US officials, what about foreign ones

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's amazing how quickly the title of "worst politics" has been passed around in the last two years. it went from the UK to the US to italy, and now to brazil

i'd ask who gisele bundchen supported but who am i kidding, there's a 100% chance she supported bolsonaro

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's amazing how quickly the title of "worst politics" has been passed around in the last two years. it went from the UK to the US to italy, and now to brazil

i'd ask who gisele bundchen supported but who am i kidding, there's a 100% chance she supported bolsonaro
hungary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Don't forget turkey's referendum