Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JViRj2icPdg

The second worst event that happens every four years to Brazilians is here! Three years after Dilma Roussef was impeached in a parliamentary coup and replaced by an empty suit that's widely reviled and his congress of horrible people who made an effort to RAPE everyone in the country by slashing labor rights and selling most of the state companies while the economy is still in shambles due to reliance on commodities, the country of the Future is ready to elect whoever will have the job to steer the ship into the abyss! This is also the election where the far right is having a big resurgence, thanks to mass media conglomerates beating and denouncing the poo poo out of the PT governments while being mostly silent during the Temer administration while social media cranks have repeatedly managed to convince people that the f*ggots and commies will turn the country over to Venezuela!

Candidates

Luis Inácio Lula da Silva (PT)

Former president during 2002-2008, he's the favorite to win as he's beloved by every Brazilian that isn't a rich or middle class fascist. Unfortunately he's under arrest after a suspiciously lightning fast judgment related to the Car Wash operation that wanted to get his rear end in jail before he runs (as politicians that have been convicted of crimes are forbidden for running for candidate in any position). Now the Supreme Court is still deliberating whether he gets to run or not. The best scenario candidate as even though he had to rely on some real sketchy people to run his presidency.

Fernando Haddad (PT)

The former Mayor of São Paulo, he's now the presidential Candidate after Lula's candidacy was blocked by the supreme court. The fact that he lost to neoliberal worm João Doria on the first round of the 2016 mayoral election might be negated by the fact that Lula's support holds immense sway around the country but whether the PT will manage to get a lead is unknown...

Jair Bolsonaro (PSL)

The favorite to win unless the Supreme Court actually manages to let Lula run. The far right troglodyte who's backed by a radicalized population who either looks fondly to the military junta times even though at the economic crisis of the 80s when they left power was far worse than the current one, people who think that everyone owning an assault rifle will solve the insane spike in violence of the last decades and other psychopaths. He also has no idea how to fix the economy and has no plan of doing so but is delegating it to the members of his cabinet.

Cabo Daciolo (PATRIOTA)

After the one of the tiny parties that live on cronyism and selling votes decided to rebrand into a far right populist party but failed to get Bolsonaro to run for them they had to settle for this guy. A former firefighter union leader that was elected by the left-wing PSOL party as a congressman but was kicked out for being a dominionist religious nut, he managed to become the true comic relief of the presidential candidates by denouncing Ciro Gomes as being part of the Union of Soviet South American Republics, ranting about how the Illuminati wants to kill him and claiming that 400 billion people avoid taxes in the country.

Geraldo Alckmin (PSDB)

The Brazilian Jeb! A man who managed to lose in the 2006 election second round with less votes for him than in the first round. Called the "Chayote Popsicle" for being a completely bland and unlikable empty suit, he is managing to poll at single digits despite being from what was the biggest opposition party during the PT years.

Marina Silva (REDE)

Third Place Candidate for the last two elections and a former PT Minister of Environment, Marina is one of the odd ducks as due to her being an evangelical christian and a center-left environmentalist at the same time means she has a progressive stand on EVERY ISSUE BUT Abortion and Gay Marriage (although she she says that she will hold a plebiscite on both of these issues).

Ciro Gomes (PDT)

A man that I'm personally really ambivalent with. Ciro Gomes and his family ruled my state of Ceará as their personal oligarchic fiefdom for the last 30 years, although his skills as an administrator and governor managed to develop what was once one of the poorest states with the worst conditions of living into an admittedly much better place, being regarded as one of the best governors of the entire country. His biggest problem however, is his political ambivalence as a "progressive leftist", as he decided to court the "centrão", the cronyist center parties that follow whoever promises the most and his ambition to be president more than once had him fight with the PT as he has no intention to serve as Lula's second.

Guilherme Boulos (PSOL)

Serving this election as "the Far Left cool guy who will only get 3% of polling who I voted for during the first round", he's the leader of the "Homeless Worker's Movement" and one of the rising stars of socio-political activism of this decade, he has repeatedly denounced some of the most immoral candidates of the campaign and while an opponent of Lula still is one of the biggest voices supporting him to participate in the elections. Also notable for having Sonia Guajajara, another social activist for the rights of the native peoples as the first indigenous person to be on a presidential campaign as his vice!

https://twitter.com/meirelles/status/1032022203766919169

Henrique Meirelles (MDB)

Former President of the Central Bank during the Lula administration that now bemoans him and his party all the time. A dipshit free market neoliberal who has to contend with the fact that he's running for Temer's party and therefore has the 5% approval president hanging like a dead albatross on his neck and that the pension reform that he has as one of his priorities is widely reviled.

Álvaro Dias (Podemos)

Who gives a poo poo about this guy? Another dipshit centrist advocating for ethics and political reform and other center-populist babble. Not even bothering posting a picture of him.

João Goulart Filho (PPL)

Son of the last president before the 1964 junta. That's all that's interesting about him.

José Maria Eymael (PSDC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvOcwcEiL6g

Vera Lúcia (PSTU)

The farthest Left candidate in the running, Vera Lúcia is a shoemaker and union leader from the extremely tiny trotskyist syndicalis party PSTU. Substituting party founder Zé Maria that ran for the party's last four elections, this infusion of new blood may finally be able to get the party to reach 1% of polling.

Brazilian Political Structure

Perhaps one of the reasons for the incredibly corrupt and crisis-prone nature of the country is the fact that Brazil is a "Coalition Presidency", a frankensteinish political system that has a semi-strong executive power that has several prerogatives but far less than in other countries with a presidential system like the rest of the American continent and two houses of congress that while having no Prime Minister still has most of the powers that a congress has in parliamentary countries like most of Europe. This system, created by the 1988 constitution that was likely expecting the country to adopt the parliamentarian regime in a 1993 failed plebiscite and whose members were congressmen that deeply resented the strong centralizing power of the President during the dictatorship that preceded that constitution, resulted in a political structure where the President while voted by the public in an election and has several executive powers, is absolutely dependent on a majority in Congress to govern, something which quickly brought upon strong cronyism and corruption, as the variety of parties makes that majority impossible unless a "big tent" coalition is formed, and of course these parties always have a price...

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Sep 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
even if lula cant run cant he just run the country through a proxy candidate ?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like how every election how their own Jeb!

The mexican election had a similar rich boring centrist character that got almost no votes with a low energy campaign

The concept of Jeb! has international appeal

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat plutonis. Bolognasaro or whatever sounds like a real game changer.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all money on Jeb!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mila kunis posted:

even if lula cant run cant he just run the country through a proxy candidate ?

I guess it's going to be Haddad (Former mayor of São Paulo) and being Lula's proxy still brings a lot of votes but that guy is honestly really not well known to most of the country. Also Alckmin is trying to court the reactionary vote by having a far right congresswoman who hailed Lula's bus being attacked by armed psychopaths on her state as a good hting.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's gonna suck op

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i thought your bougs did away with all that "voting" nonsense

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Long live the URSAL

The Unnamed One has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Aug 18, 2018

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Last I heard you guys were having an undeclared, low-intensity civil war. Things gotten any better?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

which candidates are pro-big butts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSFYAisRhqA

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
The big butt debate has been decided long ago, dude.

You’re either with the booties or against the Brazilian people.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ8dmJcQgUw

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Oct 8, 2021

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Free Lula

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

could you do a post on lava jato (i probably hosed that up lol)? All my coverage has been through the extremely impartial and ideology-free weekly The Economist and i could probably use a local's perspective

Or even just a rougb rundown of the major parties and the brazilian structure of gov. I am very interested!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

etalian posted:

I like how every election how their own Jeb!

The mexican election had a similar rich boring centrist character that got almost no votes with a low energy campaign

The concept of Jeb! has international appeal

There's honestly THREE of them in this election. It's just that Álvaro Dias and Henrique Meireles are extremely boring technocrats and I don't know how to make a funny intro for them.

Fuligin posted:

could you do a post on lava jato (i probably hosed that up lol)? All my coverage has been through the extremely impartial and ideology-free weekly The Economist and i could probably use a local's perspective

Or even just a rougb rundown of the major parties and the brazilian structure of gov. I am very interested!

I'll add stuff on the parties in the OP later tonight and try to explain the insane "coalition presidentialism" system we have that combines the worse of parliamentarism and presidentialism.

https://www.ocafezinho.com/2016/05/01/the-lords-of-the-law-foundations-and-functions-of-operation-car-wash/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thanks for this Plutonis, your posts in the South America thread are good. is there any chance that the Supreme Court reinstates Lula or are they just as crooked as the judges in the courts that have convicted him already?

also, evangelicals should not be allowed to vote in any country

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

get that OUT of my face posted:

thanks for this Plutonis, your posts in the South America thread are good. is there any chance that the Supreme Court reinstates Lula or are they just as crooked as the judges in the courts that have convicted him already?

also, evangelicals should not be allowed to vote in any country

Evangelicals should be handed over to the inquisition as heretics.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Evangelicals should be handed over to the inquisition as heretics.
i'm perfectly ok with outlawing their religion and forcing them to convert to something that doesn't actively wish for the end of the world through supporting bugfuck fascists. i realize that catholic countries aren't immune (poland, italy) but having a sizable evangelical population doesn't help

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Updated the OP with left-wing/center-left candidates Ciro, Marina and Boulos

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
jeb! looking to add a new territory to his growing empire

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh boy, I look forward to seeing which candidate Our Portuguese Centre-Right apparatus chooses as the Sane, Responsible choice so they drag like whatever 5 brazilian reporters/pundits they have on staff to berate them harder for not having a Third Way and harder until by the end of September I can't open a paper here without seeing the last page some weirdo just screaming about Brazilian people being the descendants of African Slaves and thus "barely sentient apes".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

logikv9 posted:

jeb! looking to add a new territory to his growing empire

Jeb! should make his portfolio international and teach centrist politicians on how to run expensive low energy campaigns.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Did any of the candidates say this?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's Daciolo, fellow r/Kaiserreich browser

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Taintrunner posted:

all money on Jeb!

Cuck Yeah!

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
bolsonaro has quite the party loyalty

quote:

PSL (2018–present)
PSC (2016–2018)
PP (2005–2016)
PFL (2005)
PTB (2003–2005)
PPB (1995–2003)
PPR (1993–1995)
PP (1993)
PDC (1989–1993)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i visited cadillac ranch recently which is this pomo art installation in the texas panhandle. there are these '50s-era cadillacs implanted into the ground and anyone can freely paint on them. there were these brazilian guys there (livestreamers of some sort) who were painting a giant brazilian flag on one.

they were very proud of their country but i thought it was amusing they choose to symbolize it on a rusted-out old car that looks like it had been piledrived into the ground

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Oct 8, 2021

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Ok this is from a troll video, but in the clip I see that people are actively campaigning on URSAL being a real thing. Like your country manages to make America not look like the stupidest democracy on the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmuC1fw4XeU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Corek posted:

bolsonaro has quite the party loyalty

Ciro also changed parties 8 times. That's incredibly common here. Also I'm done with the candidates!!! Everyone is there!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Like your country manages to make America not look like the stupidest democracy on the planet.

:shuckyes:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
ballsackonaro

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So I went to a theater show today and there was a rally of a christard pastor with like several thousand people around and he said that congress wants to legalize polygamy and incest and make schoolkids learn gender stuff and african religions (which those retards think its witchcraft) and that he needed their help to be reelected and he's definitely getting elected lol.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Oct 8, 2021

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Metal Cat posted:

Reminder that Edir Macedo is gonna die as a loving billionaire lol.

Holy poo poo just read the criticism section on Wikipedia he makes Pat Robertson look like Saint Francis. Seriously, Brazil needs to crush the Evangelicals.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah lol you know when people were worried about the US fundies rising to power due to their support of Bush in the 00s? Here those fuckers have way more influence in politics than that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

same in guatemala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Plutonis posted:

Yeah lol you know when people were worried about the US fundies rising to power due to their support of Bush in the 00s? Here those fuckers have way more influence in politics than that.

That's really weird, up until the past couple years I thought of Brazil's relationship to religion as "Catholicism, but not too much and definitely not on Carnaval", with puritanical evangelism being a mostly US phenomenon.