Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I was talking about the name, but yeah, the free meals being vegetarian is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

True, but also no one is gonna go for that in the western developed world in a timely fashion.

Easy, you call it something else and never talk about where it comes from. Google cochineal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

Cool, they've invented soup kitchens but with a patriotic name

Hey whatever gets more of them built

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've had an impossible burger. It's pretty good. It's a little TOO juicy and the texture is off (it's too crunchy/has a good Mallard reaction on the outside and the inside is a little too smooth and uniform, if that makes sense) but it's perfectly acceptable if the alternative is "the planet dies"

It's good enough that I don't like it ... because I haven't eaten meat in decades and I've lost my taste for it :-)

So yes, it's a fine alternative for people who like hamburgers.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

For emissions, animal agriculture accounts for between 13% and 18% (https://skepticalscience.com/animal-agriculture-meat-global-warming.htm)

Not so sure they factor in deforestation etc.

UN had a report on this that was far higher.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2006/11/201222-rearing-cattle-produces-more-greenhouse-gases-driving-cars-un-report-warns

Cattle-rearing generates more global warming greenhouse gases, as measured in CO2 equivalent, than transportation, and smarter production methods, including improved animal diets to reduce enteric fermentation and consequent methane emissions, are urgently needed, according to a new United Nations report released today.

“Livestock are one of the most significant contributors to today’s most serious environmental problems,” senior UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) official Henning Steinfeld said. “Urgent action is required to remedy the situation.”

Cattle-rearing is also a major source of land and water degradation, according to the FAO report, Livestock’s Long Shadow–Environmental Issues and Options, of which Mr. Steinfeld is the senior author.

“The environmental costs per unit of livestock production must be cut by one half, just to avoid the level of damage worsening beyond its present level,” it warns.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

Cool, they've invented soup kitchens but with a patriotic name

Hey, rebranding works for businesses so why not soup kitchens, libraries, food stamps, etc.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

fugitive slaves drove the passage of the confiscation acts to address the myriad legal problems they created for the union, the second act of which gave lincoln the legal authority to issue the proclamation

But the confiscation acts were themselves unpopular even within much of the Republican Party. To say nothing of the generally racist population at large. Plus the acts were so limited in their scope they never could have been confused as a true act of emancipation, and I personally doubt it could have led to the actual Proclamation and 13th Amendment without Lincoln and the Radicals being personally willing to hurt themselves over them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wasn't Emancipation pursued as an attempt to break the Slave Power and keep slaveholders from gaining control of Southern politics again by building a base of Republican-aligned Freedmen voters in the South?

(A plan that was abandoned once it was clear the Southern elite would remain loyal and not start another war of secession, leading to the withdrawal of Federal troops and abandonment of the Freedmen because hey why support blacks if Southern whites have agreed not to threaten Northern business interests anymore)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah the confiscation acts sucked but they were what busted open the door leading to the proclamation and the 13th.

also i wouldn't say the acts were unpopular just that too many republicans bought into the concern trolling of the northern democrats about bills of attainder

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah the confiscation acts sucked but they were what busted open the door leading to the proclamation and the 13th.

also i wouldn't say the acts were unpopular just that too many republicans bought into the concern trolling of the northern democrats about bills of attainder

One thing I think we might be able to work for the coming conflict is I think the chinese would like an isolationist US government as will the Iranians.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Russia thread is kind of interesting, in that you see people making these correct critiques of media they're ideologically opposed to (like FOX or obviously RT), but they're completely blind to the fact that the media they take more seriously does the exact same thing. Like one guy mentioned how FOX gives a token presence to outside opinions while making it clear which opinion is the one you're supposed to take seriously, and this is the exact same thing WaPo/NPR/NYT/etc do. The latter just due it with a different sort of reader/viewer in mind. Whereas FOX just directly depicts its non-preferred opinions as stupid, something like NPR instead just uses a tone of doubt regarding a subject (or just outright ignores it). In both cases, the preferred opinion is very clear; it's just that the latter is presented in such a way that your average liberal listener/viewer believes they arrived at that conclusion themselves (which is the same way conservatives feel when they watch FOX).

edit: Actually, this all comes back to the topic of "proportionality/focus," which is generally the biggest flaw in the worldview/ideology of many liberals. They often have viewpoints that are composed of facts, but those facts are given focus in an unreasonable, disproportionate way in order to support a certain narrative (as opposed to the conservative approach which is fine with just outright lying). Many people seem to believe that as long as all the individual things they believe are technically true, whatever viewpoint/ideology arises from that must also be valid and true.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 9, 2018

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
It baffles me that Susan Collins is getting so much more ire than Manchin over the confirmation.

just kidding, it's not really that baffling, just stupid

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Part of it I think is that she is supposed to be the "good" Republican and ran on being the type of conservative that gives a poo poo about women's issues. She also gave that dumbfuck hour speach full of lies in order to alleviate her concience driving in the knife some more. THEN she decided to say that not only did Ford simply mistake her attacker (based on her gut feeling since there was zero investigation which was made obvious to everyone) but decided then was the time to say that last week will encourage more victims to come forward which is so insane I have no idea how she thought that was appropriate.

Now she's crying about threats while Ford can't go home because Republican voters want her blood. She's pretty much drawn as much possible attention to herself that she's scum in as public a way as she could.

Conversely Manchin, who also deserves scorn, made his poo poo vote without much fan fair and then scuttled away back under the fridge. There's also some level of sexism involved as well but Collin's actions have certainly added to it. Grandstanding as a moderate and then make a huge display of how you aren't was never going to go well. Not sure it's stupid since she really tries to sell a lie poorly which impresses no one. People know Manchin is a liability, they just try and stick their head in the sand and repeat "Senate majority" over and over.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 9, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's because she made a big speech when she should've just sent out a rote press release. it was pouring salt in ford's wounds. don't act like you agonized over the decision.

that picture of them toasting made me feel sicker than i've felt in a long time.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's because she made a big speech when she should've just sent out a rote press release. it was pouring salt in ford's wounds. don't act like you agonized over the decision.

that picture of them toasting made me feel sicker than i've felt in a long time.

Yeah gently caress them both and gently caress Manchin's enablers. That rear end in a top hat knows exactly what he's voting to support and he's glad about it. Is a man like that going to help people when he's given the chance or is he going to jump to the party of his friend Trump?

The Democrats aren't a serious political party as long as that is not only allowed but practically encouraged.

Before the usual "he saved the ACA!!!!" comment comes, maybe we could work to get someone that has more than one good vote and can actually inspire people instead of being the guy we all know is a Republican allowed to do whatever he wants, even help put a monster on the SCOTUS for life, because His Seat Is Too Important. Kavanaugh being bipartisanly confirmed is a blight on the Democrat's record.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 9, 2018

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Some people thought the acts lacked decorum, in other words.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Manchin is pro-life he campaigns on being a huge piece of poo poo woman-hater.

Collins' brand is being the pro-woman Republican, not really surprising that hypocrisy is getting more attention than expected shiftiness.

Collins also getting more hate than Moore Capito, also a Republican woman but one who makes no bones about being a shitbag.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

username/post combo

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

double nine posted:

username/post combo

:hmmyes:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

It baffles me that Susan Collins is getting so much more ire than Manchin over the confirmation.

It's a question of expectations. Manchin never even suggested he was going to vote against Kavanaugh, but Collins at least left things vague enough for the terminally naive to have some hope about her. Plus there's the whole thing about her being a woman and claiming she wouldn't support a Roe v Wade repeal.

Of course, the fact that anyone has higher expectations of Republicans than they do of Manchin should be setting off alarm bells in regards to Manchin's position in politics. But we're living in the hell world.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Seyser Koze posted:

Or that Murkowski is getting off scott-free for swapping her vote from her firm "No" to "Yes but I get to say I didn't vote yes."

Even in this argument about Collins/Manchin eating the blame, she's completely ignored.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also I'd say that a dishonest hypocrite is a perceived as (and actually is) worse than someone who is honest about wanting to do bad things, esp in politics.

Manchin sucks and should be kicked out of the party for that vote, but he was 100% honest about being a woman-hating rear end in a top hat and his voters could theoretically have voted him out but keep reelecting him by huge margins.

Collins campaigned on not being a shitbag woman-hater and got a lot of crossover support from voters based on her promises to stand with women and then she stabbed them in the back. If she came out as an abortion-hating chud at least people could say "well she's being honest" but she's still trying to blow smoke up everyone's rear end about how putting a fundy nutjob on the court isn't going to hurt abortion rights nosiree

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

lol I just found out the Human Rights Campaign endorsed Susan Collins over her Democratic challenger in 2014

E: holy poo poo I looked up the Democrat in that race and she was a former ACLU director and leader of the group that got gay marriage passed in Maine jfc HRC

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 9, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

Also I'd say that a dishonest hypocrite is a perceived as (and actually is) worse than someone who is honest about wanting to do bad things, esp in politics.

Manchin sucks and should be kicked out of the party for that vote, but he was 100% honest about being a woman-hating rear end in a top hat and his voters could theoretically have voted him out but keep reelecting him by huge margins.

Collins campaigned on not being a shitbag woman-hater and got a lot of crossover support from voters based on her promises to stand with women and then she stabbed them in the back. If she came out as an abortion-hating chud at least people could say "well she's being honest" but she's still trying to blow smoke up everyone's rear end about how putting a fundy nutjob on the court isn't going to hurt abortion rights nosiree

I would argue that this can be applied in the other direction, since Collins ultimately still had an R next to her name while Manchin has a D, and consequently he is also a dishonest hypocrite even if what he says and does all the time makes it unsurprising.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I would argue that this can be applied in the other direction, since Collins ultimately still had an R next to her name while Manchin has a D, and consequently he is also a dishonest hypocrite even if what he says and does all the time makes it unsurprising.

He is openly pro-life, and anti-gay, nothing dishonest about that particular shitbaggery.

The dishonesty I'd say is the Democratic Party posturing about being pro-woman and pro-LGBT while funding and endorsing a bigot against primary challengers

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

He is openly pro-life, and anti-gay, nothing dishonest about that particular shitbaggery.

The dishonesty I'd say is the Democratic Party posturing about being pro-woman and pro-LGBT while funding and endorsing a bigot against primary challengers

True enough. I suppose I would basically be willing to argue that every Senator who voted in favor of Kavanaugh deserves roughly equal scorn for it, which means we should treat every one of them as being as garbage as we are treating Collins to be, including Manchin.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

lmao if someone doesn't know that "be civil" is synonymous with "be controlled opposition"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

lol I just found out the Human Rights Campaign endorsed Susan Collins over her Democratic challenger in 2014

E: holy poo poo I looked up the Democrat in that race and she was a former ACLU director and leader of the group that got gay marriage passed in Maine jfc HRC

The HRC is a massive third way bullshit lobbying group. They just slammed "human rights" on their name in order to obfuscate their real goals and to be able to say "what are you AGAINST human rights??" They don't give the least poo poo about human rights or whatever.

They just spent the 2018 primaries endorsing the opponents of LGBT people.

Lightning Knight posted:

True enough. I suppose I would basically be willing to argue that every Senator who voted in favor of Kavanaugh deserves roughly equal scorn for it, which means we should treat every one of them as being as garbage as we are treating Collins to be, including Manchin.

Collins' little game where she gets to pretend that there is such a thing as a "moderate" Republican needs to be outed as the disingenuous bullshit it is and anyone in the media or Democrats buying into it discredited. Anything that helps since her career so that the concept of negotiating with these maniacs dies among the public the better.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 9, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Harik posted:

Or that Murkowski is getting off scott-free for swapping her vote from her firm "No" to "Yes but I get to say I didn't vote yes."

Even in this argument about Collins/Manchin eating the blame, she's completely ignored.

Well the ARP is trying to punish her, but it won't do squat for the same reasons Manchin won't be meaningfully punished by the WVDP

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2018/10/08/alaska-republican-party-leaders-to-consider-action-against-murkowski/

quote:

Alaska Republican Party leaders plan to consider whether to reprimand U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski for opposing Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation.

The party has asked Murkowski to provide any information she might want its state central committee to consider.

Party Chairman Tuckerman Babcock says the committee could decide to issue a statement. Or he says it could withdraw support of Murkowski, encourage party officials to look for a replacement and ask that she not seek re-election as a Republican.

He says the party took that more extreme step previously with state legislators who caucused with Democrats.

He says all this follows outrage from Alaska Republicans.

Murkowski told reporters that if she worried about political repercussions, she wouldn't be able to do the job Alaskans expect her to do.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

Collins' little game where she gets to pretend that there is such a thing as a "moderate" Republican needs to be outed as the disingenuous bullshit it is and anyone in the media or Democrats buying into it discredited. Anything that helps since her career so that the concept of negotiating with these maniacs dies among the public the better.

I don't disagree with this per se, but I also think that Manchin and the other Dems who were anything other than hard nos on Kavanaugh should be slammed for functionally the same reason. The Democratic Party is not in need of "moderates," and "moderate" Republicans are not to be trusted.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
HRC's never hidden their incumbent bias (their focusgrouped phrasing:"rewarding loyalty"), which is pretty standard for issuePACs. The number has shrunk, but the NRA still keeps endorsing/donating to Dems in competitive races, to use the highest profile example on the right.

Not that stanning Collins is anything but an awful look, but providing broader context.

Radish posted:

The HRC is a massive third way bullshit lobbying group. They just slammed "human rights" on their name in order to obfuscate their real goals and to be able to say "what are you AGAINST human rights??" They don't give the least poo poo about human rights or whatever.

They just spent the 2018 primaries endorsing the opponents of LGBT people.

Is this a class-intersectionality thing, or have they been out there tossing up homophobes? It's obviously fine to dislike them for a scope of focus that clearly minimizes or ignores most issues of economic wellbeing, I'm just curious if they're failing at their narrow areas of priority too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The HRC isn't going out of its way to promote homophobes that I know but for an organization with "human rights" for LGBT people they are primarily concerned with pushing very corporate friendly right wing people, even those that have checkered history on supporting LGBT people.

This article is slightly dated but highlights that the internal organization structure is unsurprisingly white and male to the exclusion of other groups.
https://www.advocate.com/human-rights-campaign-hrc/2015/06/04/5-most-disappointing-things-we-learned-about-hrcs-white-mens-cl

I'm still in a bad mood from the past few weeks so I will admit I was too strong to say they don't care about Human Rights at all. However as VitalSigns pointed out it's pretty clear they favor conservative economic policy over social issues more often than they should.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 9, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah I haven't seen them endorse an out-and-out bigot but they have a history of endorsing corporate-friendly conservatives who throw LGBT people under the bus when convenient over LGBT activists who might raise their taxes.

Human rights for gay people, unless they're poor!
And the gay rights are negotiable if you're tough-on-poors

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Here's some more on them basically siding with corporations against people.
https://www.advocate.com/commentary/2017/11/17/lets-not-pretend-walmart-still-hostile-lgbt-workers

Giving Walmart a perfect score in the first place is pretty suspect and siding with Nissan against the workers is pretty ridiculous for an organization with "human rights" in the name.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/lawcrimenews/status/1049685695378456577

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I mean, if the primary difference is that "the victims were not treated as credible and the Democratic establishment of the period, including white feminists, circled the wagons around the accused" then sure.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

HRC believes you are human if you're net-worth is over half a million dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Can someone please just fire Hillary and her cult out of a cannon into the sun at this point? If I hear another platitude about "Both sides are the same" from people who's job is to be on one side and not the other I'm going to scream.

• Locked thread