Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nice piece of fish posted:

Googled this, now I know two things: you are absolutely correct and I need to buy that game.

Again, you probably belong in AI.

Edit: slyfrog, st paul is basically a midwestern college town.

Edit2: maybe not in house prices so much, but I'm a Californian so they seemed quite reasonable everywhere but summit ave.

nm fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

(Re: performance measures)

Per order of our Supreme Court:

"70% of all felony cases should be adjudicated within 91 days from the date of entry of the order binding the defendant over to the circuit court; 85% within 154 days; and 98% within 301 days. Incarcerated persons should be afforded priority for trial."

For criminal cases, "adjudicated" means a plea, a jury verdict, a nolle prosequi, etc. Not sentencing. Clock stops once Defendant has entered a plea or been found guilty.

There are guidelines like that for every type of case, and we have to report disposition times (at least) yearly (potentially more, I'm not part of the reporting process).

Soothing Vapors posted:

first HDD91, then Jon Jones, now Ale Man

all my friends turn out to be snitches

I know that there's some quote about it. "Snitches get" something. I don't know; I stopped listening partway through, but the first two words made it sound pretty cool.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

nm posted:

Edit2: maybe not in house prices so much, but I'm a Californian so they seemed quite reasonable everywhere but summit ave.

They’ve gone pretty bonkers. Places like Highland Park that used to be affordable, well, now you’re looking at $400-500k base to get a halfway decent home. And for that, you’re getting a few thousand square feet that’s livable on a postage stamp yard, not a mansion.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Welp, bought the game so now I better start fine tuning my finnish. Perkele! Suomi! Väinämöinen! Ei saa peittää

E: I should actually go outside and start winterizing my car. What the gently caress am I doing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Alaemon posted:

I know that there's some quote about it. "Snitches get" something. I don't know; I stopped listening partway through, but the first two words made it sound pretty cool.

Snitches get bitches.

It's incredibly awkward; a colleague in law school wound up filing a formal complaint against a local PD that wound up sinking their whole statewide firm. Dude's now neck deep in them, and he's allergic. It's not like he's going to send them back to the shelter!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SlyFrog posted:

They’ve gone pretty bonkers. Places like Highland Park that used to be affordable, well, now you’re looking at $400-500k base to get a halfway decent home. And for that, you’re getting a few thousand square feet that’s livable on a postage stamp yard, not a mansion.

So I can't buy a house in mac-grove for 250 anymore? Bummer.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I had a really long and hard discussion with friends about my finances and housing was a big part of it. At a certain point it makes me really question why I live in this area if all it means is servicing mortgage+property taxes, might as well just give up entirely and live with a parent and say gently caress it

Doing foreclosure work really lets you see how much of the country works solely to live in an expensive big city because what else are they going to do

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

furiouskoala posted:

Years ago, you goon told me not to bother. I didn't listen, and now I passed the bar. Looking forward to taking appointments and pursuing my dream of being a criminal defense lawyer. Any tips for getting better pleas?

Just want to echo the reputation bits in particular - you are your rep and a lovely one is hard to shake. I've had court staff tell me "hey this guy is a grade A shitbag" when they see said shitbag's name come up. Everyone knows.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

I had a really long and hard discussion with friends about my finances and housing was a big part of it. At a certain point it makes me really question why I live in this area if all it means is servicing mortgage+property taxes, might as well just give up entirely and live with a parent and say gently caress it

Doing foreclosure work really lets you see how much of the country works solely to live in an expensive big city because what else are they going to do

i live in an expensive big city because being in the middle of nowhere would make me shoot myself out of boredom, not because it's some treadmill i've been tricked into. i've spent time living in the boonies. i didn't like it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Oh god christ what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Noone else is going to put up with your poo poo for long in most cases really

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

In my parents’ neighborhood in the Bay Area, there is a 755 square foot house selling for 595k. It’s the most affordable house in the neighborhood.

When my parents bought their home in the late 80s they paid 100k (about 250k in today’s dollars, using a CPI calculator).

Ask me about never being able to buy property :smith:

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Discendo Vox posted:

Snitches get bitches.

It's incredibly awkward; a colleague in law school wound up filing a formal complaint against a local PD that wound up sinking their whole statewide firm. Dude's now neck deep in them, and he's allergic. It's not like he's going to send them back to the shelter!

I would like to know more please

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Dagda posted:

In my parents’ neighborhood in the Bay Area, there is a 755 square foot house selling for 595k. It’s the most affordable house in the neighborhood.

When my parents bought their home in the late 80s they paid 100k (about 250k in today’s dollars, using a CPI calculator).

the bay area is what happens when you stuff a modern city population into a suburb and ban the construction of any dense housing

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Dagda posted:

Detached house for only $600k? Sounds like your parents live in one of the "up-and-coming" neighborhoods. :shepicide:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Lol, my 1800 sqft house appraised for 60% more than we paid for it 3 years ago. Totally sustainable.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Buy a home and then have Toyota and State Farm headquartered near you. It’s like magic for property values.

The only downside is if you sell your house, you have to buy a new one at the same inflated price.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

A friend I went to law school with lives in BFE Utah and seems to just travel for work all the time. He rejected a job here because he couldn't make ends meet on 120k or whatever.
He's also mormon and has a huge fleet of children.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Buy a home and then have Toyota and State Farm headquartered near you. It’s like magic for property values.

The only downside is if you sell your house, you have to buy a new one at the same inflated price.

This is why I can’t sell my house I bought in 2009. I could live further out but my commute is already as long as I can stand it.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

nm posted:

So I can't buy a house in mac-grove for 250 anymore? Bummer.

Nope. I know someone who just bought a 1,100 sq ft. place in Ventura Village (East Philips). Because it was literally the only thing she could find for $200,000. It’s right next to Section 8 housing towers (about as close to projects as the cities gets).

Mac-Grove for $200-250k is a pipe dream.

Edit: Just did a search for Mac-Grove, 2 bedrooms or more, 2,000 square feet or more. $300,000 limit. Literally not a single listing. lol America.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 9, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Nope. I know someone who just bought a 1,100 sq ft. place in Ventura Village (East Philips). Because it was literally the only thing she could find for $200,000. It’s right next to Section 8 housing towers (about as close to projects as the cities gets).

Mac-Grove for $200-250k is a pipe dream.

Edit: Just did a search for Mac-Grove, 2 bedrooms or more, 2,000 square feet or more. $300,000 limit. Literally not a single listing. lol America.

2000 sq feet is bigger than a lot of the houses there that aren't duplexes to be fair.

Like I'm sure there are things wrong with this house, but this would be $500k here
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/346-Saratoga-St-S-Saint-Paul-MN-55105/2066115_zpid/?fullpage=true

edit: I also looked at longfellow near light rail. I wish your winters sucked less and you paid gubberment lawyers more. I even have a MN bar card.

This is what I'm putting up with:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2540-27th-St-Sacramento-CA-95818/25791192_zpid/?fullpage=true
Looks like a great deal right? Well if you look at Megan's Law website, you'll find a giant colony of sex offenders next door.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2153-Portola-Way-Sacramento-CA-95818/25796713_zpid/?fullpage=true
*kills self*

Oh and we're the cheap city.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 9, 2018

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
San Juan is more or less recovered from Maria, but not from the additional resulting poverty and crime rate. 90% of the city is some version of hosed with foreclosures and abandoned properties left and right:

https://www.touroldsanjuan.com/safety-map/

The other 10% is all on the waterfront and happens to be where the mainland expats who don't speak Spanish more or less have to live. It's also the area with the good high rise condos with security and backup generators as well as the only English-speaking schools in town. It's still technically a buyer's market, but rent for a $500-700k condo starts at $5K a month and up. Meanwhile, the 0% cap gains/4% income tax incentives are getting wide press and the number of people that got grants is up 50% this year. A massive gentrification bubble is about to hit in 3...2...1...

Other PR facts: there is no MBE or reciprocity. You get admitted to the local bar only by taking it. All the exam questions are in Spanish although you can write all the essays in English. The fed courts have their own completely separate English bar exam that has to be taken at different times. There is also a separate "notary bar" that allows local PR-bar admitted lawyers, and only such lawyers, to be notaries. Among other things, a notary is required to put a fancy stamp on every RE transaction. This stamp costs 1% of the value of the property for the first $500K + 0.5% of anything over $500K. This fee is set by law and cannot be negotiated any lower. Nearly everyone in the legislature is a lawyer and totally uninterested in changing any of this.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Obtaining profit on appreciating real estate is a moral wrong hth!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

nm posted:

2000 sq feet is bigger than a lot of the houses there that aren't duplexes to be fair.

Like I'm sure there are things wrong with this house, but this would be $500k here
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/346-Saratoga-St-S-Saint-Paul-MN-55105/2066115_zpid/?fullpage=true

edit: I also looked at longfellow near light rail. I wish your winters sucked less and you paid gubberment lawyers more. I even have a MN bar card.

This is what I'm putting up with:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2540-27th-St-Sacramento-CA-95818/25791192_zpid/?fullpage=true
Looks like a great deal right? Well if you look at Megan's Law website, you'll find a giant colony of sex offenders next door.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2153-Portola-Way-Sacramento-CA-95818/25796713_zpid/?fullpage=true
*kills self*

Oh and we're the cheap city.

Well, I just have no idea how any of this is sustainable. The average household income for Minneapolis is around $70,000. And “cheap” housing that has problems or turns out to be illusory is listing at 4-5 times that. Real housing you might really want to raise a family in at 5-6 times that (or more).

I remember before the 2007-08 crash, reading an article about housing prices, that historically they were at 2x income for like a few hundred years, and they had suddenly climbed to 4x income. I mean sure, it could have been a sustainable historical anomaly, but seemed unlikely.

But I guess this is what we get for rescuing Wall Street with forced low interest rates. At least the hedge fund billionaires won’t be homeless.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Obtaining profit on appreciating real estate is a moral wrong hth!

Then I don't wanna be right

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Then I don't wanna be right

Well with that attitude you'll never be allowed into the collective

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Oh nooooo

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

nm posted:

A friend I went to law school with lives in BFE Utah and seems to just travel for work all the time. He rejected a job here because he couldn't make ends meet on 120k or whatever.
He's also mormon and has a huge fleet of children.
I apparently will shortly have enough kids that I have started to get questions about whether I am a member of a weird religious sect.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
You’re about to have #4?

Two is normal. The third can be explained away as a mistake. But four...

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

I apparently will shortly have enough kids that I have started to get questions about whether I am a member of a weird religious sect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51270i8F3mU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

gvibes posted:

Wait you're a Jewish lawyer?!?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

gvibes posted:

We've got a newborn and I honestly have no idea how people manage to have more than one child without going crazy from the sleep deprivation alone. It doesn't help that our kid was colicky and can only be soothed by expensive formulas and long car rides.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GamingHyena posted:

We've got a newborn and I honestly have no idea how people manage to have more than one child without going crazy from the sleep deprivation alone. It doesn't help that our kid was colicky and can only be soothed by expensive formulas and long car rides.

i mean just from one child alone you do go crazy, you just learn to live with it

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Wait you're a Jewish lawyer?!?

RELEASE THE EMAILS

GamingHyena posted:

Play car sounds and install a buttkicker at full volume beneath the crib.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

evilweasel posted:

i mean just from one child alone you do go crazy, you just learn to live with it

My experience has been that whether through trauma coping mechanisms or simple inability to correctly process information as a result of sleep deprivation, parents tend to forget the specific misery a baby brings. Must be an evolutionary trait.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

GamingHyena posted:

Those people have severe and ongoing traumas that they pass back to their children through their adolescent and teenage years before being resented for the remainder of their life in this beautiful process of familial bondong.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Well, I just have no idea how any of this is sustainable. The average household income for Minneapolis is around $70,000. And “cheap” housing that has problems or turns out to be illusory is listing at 4-5 times that. Real housing you might really want to raise a family in at 5-6 times that (or more).

I remember before the 2007-08 crash, reading an article about housing prices, that historically they were at 2x income for like a few hundred years, and they had suddenly climbed to 4x income. I mean sure, it could have been a sustainable historical anomaly, but seemed unlikely.

But I guess this is what we get for rescuing Wall Street with forced low interest rates. At least the hedge fund billionaires won’t be homeless.

In my experience it can get twice as bad before the general public half-recognizes the problem and three times as bad before people make feeble attempts to fix it. Whether there's a point where things actually get better is hypothetical, but I don't generally believe in that sort of thing. There are too many old assholes who find themselves as housing-millionaires with all the time in the world and subsequently dedicate their life to defending their newfound wealth and status by shouting down anything that could harm the absurd valuation of their crumbling 70's residence.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

You’re about to have #4?

Two is normal. The third can be explained away as a mistake. But four...
Numbers four and five.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Jesus Christ you're lucky you like your big law job

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

gvibes posted:

Numbers four and five.

Congrats! How long is the paid maternity leave for the dad in the US?

Norway's caught a lot of flack for a discriminatory policy where the parents got to choose instead of splitting the year equally, which naturally lead to dads only taking the minimum months.

I hear it gets better after the first year when public daycare starts the enrollment. I'm not there yet and I'm kind of dreading having a kid, but this is a good place for it so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Congrats! How long is the paid maternity leave for the dad in the US?

Norway's caught a lot of flack for a discriminatory policy where the parents got to choose instead of splitting the year equally, which naturally lead to dads only taking the minimum months.

I hear it gets better after the first year when public daycare starts the enrollment. I'm not there yet and I'm kind of dreading having a kid, but this is a good place for it so...
I don’t think there is anything legally required in the US. I’m not sure what my firm policy is, frankly. I am only going to be able to take a couple weeks though, at max. Which is more than I took for the prior three combined.