Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Sage Genesis posted:

I still maintain he's casting himself too much in a victim role here though, and his feelings on the matter seem... not appropriate? Misguided? There's a word for what I want to say here, I'm sure, I just can't think of it right now.
Entitled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Sage Genesis posted:

That's a good point. I don't keep track of reddit so this had kind of slipped by me, that would explain why now of all times he made a video.

I still maintain he's casting himself too much in a victim role here though, and his feelings on the matter seem... not appropriate? Misguided? There's a word for what I want to say here, I'm sure, I just can't think of it right now.

I think the way he went on talking about how 'yeah but white dudes are most representative of your player base' raised some eyebrows, but, in terms of his actual response to it all? Dude just went somewhere else and made a point to stress in the video that his misgivings around roll20 are entirely personal, based around that interaction, and not objective. He found someone else willing to do business with him in spite of his skin color and that was that.

Nowadays most motherfuckers would make that a hashtag and threaten legal action.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Bedlamdan posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/roll20-reddit-nolant-jones-apostleo-apostleoftruth-dungeons-and-dragons-ban-1142706

Some guy who was critical of the platform was banned because his username was similar to a previously banned user. That turned out to not be the case but the moderators in question weren't apologetic when that came to light.
What's important is that the moderator of the subreddit is one of the cofounders of Roll20, so it wasn't just a fan or a low level employee. He then also gave a really terrible apology.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

neaden posted:

What's important is that the moderator of the subreddit is one of the cofounders of Roll20, so it wasn't just a fan or a low level employee. He then also gave a really terrible apology.

OH well that just makes it more of a train-wreck.

What was the apology

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

moths posted:

I'd love for this to be part of the interview process.

Ie: Tell the candidate they didn't get the job to gauge their character.

:stare:

Interviews are a two-way street. This goes right in there with "pretend to be a horrible person as a 'test'" as ways for the interviewer to fail an interview.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

OH well that just makes it more of a train-wreck.

What was the apology

Pretty sure it was a non-apology in the vein of "We thought it was this banned guy, but it wasn't, but we're not going to undo it, because better to be safe than sorry cause both of them were posting a critical post of Roll20"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

neaden posted:

willing to bet the other co-founders hate the poo poo out of this guy right now.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Spiteski posted:

Pretty sure it was a non-apology in the vein of "We thought it was this banned guy, but it wasn't, but we're not going to undo it, because better to be safe than sorry cause both of them were posting a critical post of Roll20"

Tough, but fair.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bruceski posted:

Interviews are a two-way street.

Yeah, and they're definitely a shitshow of terrible power dynamics.

But if you're looking for a face to represent your brand, "goes racist on social media at the drop of a hat" is a something I'd filter out even though arguably underhanded measures.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
https://www.evilhat.com/home/refocused-resized-hat-mode-activated/

Evil Hat scaling back because non-RPGs are not selling as well as they had hoped.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that they had the opportunity to change course before it became a devastating issue.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
An interesting commentary on the standards for board game design versus rpg design.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I like the guy blithely suggesting that they make Dresden Files themed console games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bieeanshee posted:

I like the guy blithely suggesting that they make Dresden Files themed console games.

lol yeah I saw that. "Having financial troubles? Well have you considered just making a video game, bing bang bong, easy money."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't think they even have the rights for electronic games for Dresden Files, I sincerely doubt Butcher would have handed those over with the traditional games rights. That's not even considering the millions of dollars that console development costs.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

clockworkjoe posted:

Evil Hat scaling back because non-RPGs are not selling as well as they had hoped.

At least there's a new edition of AGON coming out, that's had some champions in the discord.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kwyndig posted:

I don't think they even have the rights for electronic games for Dresden Files, I sincerely doubt Butcher would have handed those over with the traditional games rights. That's not even considering the millions of dollars that console development costs.

Yeah, I don't see a scenario why you would need EHG involved at all.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Not surprising to me. When I am in the market for a fiction book, I don't think of an RPG company as the place to go for quality. Their books may have been great or terrible - I didn't try read any, but they sure didn't look like a good gamble.

As for board games, I really couldn't say what makes a board game do well. But it seems like an industry where you either get lucky and have a big success, or you end up struggling to break even. And it certainly has far larger costs and risks than printing RPG books.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

clockworkjoe posted:

Luckily, they have a Cthulhu-themed Kickstarter launching early next year, which should hopefully help stanch the bleeding from their failed ventures.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'd love it if an economist or business/market researcher tracked a Kickstarter over like 5 years as a case study, from the preview, to the campaign, social media buzz, Facebook group creation, manufacturing issues, delays in delivery, lost pledges, retail release, after market sales, and then overall performance of the product.

I'm looking at a bunch of Facebook buy/trade groups for board games and minis and I see so many "kickstarter edition" resale posts and I don't see a ton of these games, especially the miniatures games that get these massive campaign totals, actually being played. I wonder if people just totally get on the hype train for the kickstarter but when the product arrives, they're more or less dead in the water as the new hotness has started getting attention.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I wonder if people just totally get on the hype train for the kickstarter but when the product arrives, they're more or less dead in the water as the new hotness has started getting attention.

That, and the fact that most Kickstarter games are just flat-out not as good as other games in one’s collection. Like, I’ll play a game like that for the novelty of a new game, but once that wears off I’m probably going back to the games I know and love. This is especially acute for folks that don’t have a ton of free time due to family obligations etc - I’d play anything five or ten years ago, but now the opportunity cost of a mediocre game is higher.

That said, sometimes great things come out of Kickstarter - I absolutely love Spirit Island, and will pretty much choose that over anything else right now. But most Kickstarter games are just ok in my book.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jimbozig posted:

Not surprising to me. When I am in the market for a fiction book, I don't think of an RPG company as the place to go for quality. Their books may have been great or terrible - I didn't try read any, but they sure didn't look like a good gamble.

As for board games, I really couldn't say what makes a board game do well. But it seems like an industry where you either get lucky and have a big success, or you end up struggling to break even. And it certainly has far larger costs and risks than printing RPG books.

yea I can't speak to the quality of what they did but I just kinda don't associate 'an RPG company I like' as a place to find a fiction book to read unless someone actively tells me 'oh yea that's a good one they do'.

And yea, board games are money pits if you're doing any level of genuine quality with them. Either you become a darling of the industry and get a Scrooge McDuck-ian money pit or you spend your entire career praying you stay afloat and don't wind up too far behind the eight ball.

Glad Evil Hat was able to correct course at least.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm looking at a bunch of Facebook buy/trade groups for board games and minis and I see so many "kickstarter edition" resale posts and I don't see a ton of these games, especially the miniatures games that get these massive campaign totals, actually being played. I wonder if people just totally get on the hype train for the kickstarter but when the product arrives, they're more or less dead in the water as the new hotness has started getting attention.

People buy them for the minis. Like they aren't upset that there's a game attached to it, but board games are nice objects and a lot of people buy those games exclusively to use minis in RPG campaigns or just to own for their own sake.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I don't see a scenario why you would need EHG involved at all.

If you want to use the card game mechanics or the RPG mechanics you would get the Hat involved simply as a courtesy and to make things easier, but yeah they wouldn't be doing any of the actual work of building a video game.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Countblanc posted:

People buy them for the minis. Like they aren't upset that there's a game attached to it, but board games are nice objects and a lot of people buy those games exclusively to use minis in RPG campaigns or just to own for their own sake.

That's one part of the answer, but it's only part. People probably tell themselves that they're buying them for the minis, but then those same people turn around and offload the minis two years after they ordered them. And these aren't isolated cases either. Facebook and eBay are full of this stuff. The other thing is that the one time deal on kickstarter isn't keeping these companies afloat, especially not if they die as soon as they hit retail. What happens to all these unused molds? How much money is lost? How many businesses are destroyed? It would be great research for other people interested in trying to crack into the industry or better understanding kickstarter and marketing in 20XX in general.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jimbozig posted:

Board games seem like a real tough place to make a living, especially if you're not one of the bigs like Asmodee or FFG. Such high production costs, and so much competition, not just from new games but from people's existing collections (the biggest reason I've slowed my boardgame purchasing down to a trickle is because I'm so short on time to play, and storage space). The only way to break through is with a big-name designer, a big marketing campaign, or a big license, which makes an already high-cost business even more so. Unless you've got some pre-existing property or fanbase to leverage, making board games at this particular moment is just a real steep road to climb.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Same in VGs! Dozen of daily indie releases and huge huge FTPs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

There is a digital version of the Dresden Files co-op card game on Steam, but I think that was done as part of its original kickstarter.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
X-posted from the Chat thread.

Bye-bye Google Plus, only notable because it's somehow got some RPG communities.

https://gizmodo.com/googles-failed-social-network-google-will-be-no-more-1829602740

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Buh-bye Blades in the Dark community.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Buh-bye Blades in the Dark community.

22k people on G+ vs 2.5k on reddit lol

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

dwarf74 posted:

Bye-bye Google Plus, only notable because it's somehow got some RPG communities.

https://gizmodo.com/googles-failed-social-network-google-will-be-no-more-1829602740

Oh no where will Zoldemort coordinate harassment now

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Good loving riddance.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

DigitalRaven posted:

Good loving riddance.
I, too, am happy to see a service die because a couple of grogs use it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Elephant Parade posted:

Google left a gaping huge security hole in G+, and decided to shut it down rather than face the possibility of getting sanctioned for maintaining it so badly.

So yeah, good loving riddance.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Google left a gaping huge security hole in G+, and decided to shut it down rather than face the possibility of getting sanctioned for maintaining it so badly.

Oh, yeah, that's dumb. Still, you can hardly blame me for making assumptions when people were celebrating the it as the destruction of Zak's phylactery just a few days ago

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elephant Parade posted:

Oh, yeah, that's dumb. Still, you can hardly blame me for making assumptions when people were celebrating the it as the destruction of Zak's phylactery just a few days ago

I mean why not both?

It does suck that Google's complete inability to manage its poo poo means that a bunch of good groups are going to be sinking along with the bad ones, though as I said in the chat thread these days it feels more and more like if you want to create a curated community for particular games that Discord increasingly seems like the way to go.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

gradenko_2000 posted:

TBH reading Google's post it really read like 'we decided to shut down G+ now that all the execs who forced us to wedge this into all our poo poo are gone , let's grab a recent result from our security team to use as cover since we get yelled at for shuttering services at random'

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

A "service" with an unusable UI, a massive loving security hole, and an active, thriving population of "people" engaged in actual criminal harassment campaigns that drove people from their homes and off the internet entirely. You may want to categorise the last as "a couple of grogs", but I have no time for your mealy-mouthed bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

DigitalRaven posted:

A "service" with an unusable UI, a massive loving security hole, and an active, thriving population of "people" engaged in actual criminal harassment campaigns that drove people from their homes and off the internet entirely. You may want to categorise the last as "a couple of grogs", but I have no time for your mealy-mouthed bullshit.
I was under the impression that the only harassers there were Zak and crew--who I hate just as much as you do, don't get me wrong! I just don't see how the closure of Google+ is a significant blow to them when they still have Twitter, their blog network, and so on; whereas it is a big headache for the Blades in the Dark folks and others. Both those factors combined, I think it's pretty dickish to unequivocally celebrate the platform's closure, even if you think (not necessarily incorrectly) that it's a positive thing overall.