Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man in the High Castle season 3 dropped today on Amazon Prime. I’m only two episodes in, but it’s just as solid as the last two seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This Norsemen show is weird. It's viking raiders delivered with the cadence of an office comedy. They really play up the absurdity of of the moral standards in the setting. It's pretty fun if a bit dark with some of it's subject matter at times.

E:wow this show is pretty hosed up. A lot of rape and pillage goes on and they don't really shy away from it much, it's pretty dark stuff despite the humor, so keep that in mind if you choose to watch it.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 6, 2018

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Norsemen is an outright parody of the show Vikings. If you aren't familiar with that show then I don't think it's really possible to get Norsemen. I kind of prefer Norsemen to Vikings, because the silliness in Norsemen is intentional.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've never seen Vikings but this is surprisingly funny, the concept is pretty easy to get even without the source material

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Simplex posted:

Norsemen is an outright parody of the show Vikings. If you aren't familiar with that show then I don't think it's really possible to get Norsemen. I kind of prefer Norsemen to Vikings, because the silliness in Norsemen is intentional.

It's pretty easy to get and you don't have to have seen Vikings.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Crimpolioni posted:

It's pretty easy to get and you don't have to have seen Vikings.

Yeah it’s The Office set in the Viking era. It’s good.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
As a fan of Vikings (at least the first few seasons), I tried to watch Norsemen. It's a genre parody like Airplane, Scary Movie, or Another Gay Movie, except it's only mining one IP for inspiration, and there isn't enough there go around. So instead they take one conceptual joke, and just drag it into the ground until it's dead and tired. If the initial joke had actually be funny, that would be one thing. But it's not funny.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's funny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished the two seasons of The Good Place on Netflix. I really enjoyed it, but my one complaint is that I think they lay it on too thick with the other 3 human characters that aren't Kristen Bell. Like, I really enjoy Tahani, Chidi and especially Jason but by just a few episodes inthey just felt like caricatures incapable of saying a single line that wasn't a punchline. Really reminded me of late era Parks and Rec/ The Office once it had jumped the shark.Ted Danson, Kristen Bell and whoever plays Janet are ace though.

Still, I always enjoy a rare show that can make me laugh and also keep me addicted to the over arching plot. Good poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man in the High Castle season 3 dropped today on Amazon Prime. I’m only two episodes in, but it’s just as solid as the last two seasons.

This reminds me I still have to watch season 2. I loved the first season and the book is one of my favorite books, but it can be a bit hard to watch.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I decided to actually watch Vikings after watching Norsemen. Going from the parody to the original is an odd way to watch this but it's pulpy violent and fun.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

veni veni veni posted:

Here’s a game you can play. It’s called “try to make it through the entire joe Rogan Netflix special. Good luck!

I liked it. Relax.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

So if anybody's looking forward to Gareth Evan's Apostle on Netflix on the 12th but is also impatient for The Raid 3, Netflix is also putting out on the 19th the new Indonesian action film starring much of The Raid's cast called The Night Comes for Us, by co-director of Safe Haven, Timo Tjahjanto. Reviews from Fantastic Fest have been great but there's been no trailer or promotion by Netflix.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Can Netflix just take all of my money

Empty my loving bank account now

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Been watching The Nineties and as a 34 year old it is equal parts nostalgia, creeping dread about how old I have gotten, and frustration at how little some aspects of the world have changed in almost 3 decades.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Been watching The Nineties and as a 34 year old it is equal parts nostalgia, creeping dread about how old I have gotten, and frustration at how little some aspects of the world have changed in almost 3 decades.

Older but same, and also it made me want to binge a poo poo load of old tv shows.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just watched Lowlife on Hulu. It’s broken up into four interconnected chapters with each focusing on one character’s dealings with a crime boss named Teddy. (These characters include a rage-a-helix luchador, and a guy with a very unfortunate prison tattoo). It’s kind of hard to say more without giving away a lot of the plot.

I hadn’t heard of it before, but I loved it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nroo posted:

So if anybody's looking forward to Gareth Evan's Apostle on Netflix on the 12th but is also impatient for The Raid 3, Netflix is also putting out on the 19th the new Indonesian action film starring much of The Raid's cast called The Night Comes for Us, by co-director of Safe Haven, Timo Tjahjanto. Reviews from Fantastic Fest have been great but there's been no trailer or promotion by Netflix.

I saw this on a list of things that were coming to Netflix in October and I thought it was "The Apostle" (1997) which is my favorite movie and I put a note in my phone about when it was going to be streaming and everything and you have just crushed my dreams. Jokes on me for not knowing exactly what my favorite film is called, though.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Does anyone have CBS All Access? My wife wants it for a few police/FBI/crime shows she's interested in and I'm wondering how much/often the advertising is in the "limited commercials" version.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mammal Sauce posted:

Does anyone have CBS All Access? My wife wants it for a few police/FBI/crime shows she's interested in and I'm wondering how much/often the advertising is in the "limited commercials" version.

I did the free one-week trial back in, like, October of 2017 to check out Star Trek: Discovery, and it felt like an ad break every nine minutes or so.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
CBS all access is garbage, you pay money and you have as many commercials as TV. It's terrible.

Money would be better spent on Buffered or Nord VPN, both to please our benefactor and because they're the two biggest VPNs that support certain communication protocols.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Britain's Best Home Cook is on Hulu, with head judge Mary Berry, in a format pretty much identical to the Great British Bake Off, except for general home cooking instead of specifically just baking.

It's okay. It's perfectly watchable to put on in the background. But it somehow doesn't have the same charm as Bake Off. Charm that Bake Off still has even without Mary Berry.

Conclusion, while Mary Berry is a treasure, she is not the key to the success of either of these shows.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Highly recommending Thirst Street (2017), streaming on Amazon Prime. Here's my GenChat write-up:

K. Waste posted:

So going through all the flicks on my Netflix queue that are streaming in other places, and finally got to Thirst Street, a fatal attraction movie by Nathan Silver, the writer-director of Stinking Heaven, another fantastic film. One way to possibly sell it is as, again, a fatal attraction movie, but from the point of view of the woman, but even that doesn't really sell how lean and mean Thirst Street is. I really can't think of much else to say about it other than that it's funny in a very bleak and very trashy way without ever being overstated, and that it has some really fantastic cinematography and production design. Silver even dips his toes a little into that "synthwave" aesthetic we're seeing a lot in more genre-focused films nowadays, but to much greater success, and shown up all the more by how his vision is never aesthetically reductive, using these lighting and color choices very deliberately and balancing them with other schemes that are either totally mundane or disquietingly ethereal. Think of it like the uncomfortable middle ground between Good Time and Amelie.

Trailer for Thirst Street https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TPGAUhVRkg

And trailer for Stinking Heaven because gently caress yes this movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylolqPHxxNA

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Amazon Prime has taken to putting embedded ads for its own shows at the front of various movies, which... honestly plays kinda desperate. You don't need to do that to get people to watch Jack Ryan, do you? Marvelous Mrs. Maisel won awards even!

Oh but also worth noting they've put up Invasion of the Saucer Men, which by itself is just an okay little sci-fi comedy (sorta, it seems like they started out wanting to make a serious thriller then pivoted to comedy midway through, or vice versa), but notable for its iconic bug-eyed aliens, and also because I'm fairly sure this was one of the movies James H. Nicholson's widow has been holding onto- it never got a DVD release, so see it while you can I guess.

(Also this film was remade by Larry Buchanan as The Eye Creatures, or as it turned up on MST3K, Attack of the the Eye Creatures.)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I would watch Marvelous Mrs. Maisel if Amazon didn't want me to watch it so bad. My opinion of it is negative solely from the relentless ads.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Amazon Prime has taken to putting embedded ads for its own shows at the front of various movies, which... honestly plays kinda desperate. You don't need to do that to get people to watch Jack Ryan, do you? Marvelous Mrs. Maisel won awards even!

Eh. HBO has been doing this forever. I don't like it, but with HBO at least it feels more like gloating than an act of desperation with their dumb little montages and ads.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing them gone though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I would watch Marvelous Mrs. Maisel if Amazon didn't want me to watch it so bad. My opinion of it is negative solely from the relentless ads.

I hate all those ads that tell me how good chocolate is. I showed 'em by not eating chocolate ever.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Big Mouth is such a good and funny show. I understand that some people think the character design is so ugly they can't watch the show, but those people are missing out. It's extremely honest about puberty and young sexuality and how horrible and amazing it is on everyone. If I had young children I would encourage them to watch it, if I can still relate to what is going on as a 34 year old I'm sure kids right in the middle of everything going on in their own bodies could find something in it too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
In case anyone was thinking about it: don't watch mandy. it's just a really bad movie. I was very disappointed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

In case anyone was thinking about it: don't watch mandy. it's just a really bad movie. I was very disappointed.

In case anyone was thinking about it, ignore this advice. Mandy is wonderful, one of the best movies of the year, and I'm very disappointed redreader didn't like it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

Nah

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's a genuinely great show.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

redreader posted:

Strong disagree.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mandy is movie of the year so far.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Mandy is a disappointing follow-up for Panos, but "really bad" is mad stretching it. It's an aggressively straightforward revenge movie that really peters out about halfway through, but it's not a bad movie by any means.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

veni veni veni posted:

Here’s a game you can play. It’s called “try to make it through the entire joe Rogan Netflix special. Good luck!

I think the most painful part is the reminder how much has happened since he shot it in 2016. I'd have laughed my rear end off at more of the jokes if not for the #metoo, and the shitbag way Trump has steamrolled the term "Presidential."

Whether you like him or not, whether you jack off into plants next to ladies or not, drat a lot's changed since Joe shot that special.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
One thing that hasn't changed is him being not funny.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

K. Waste posted:

Mandy is a disappointing follow-up for Panos, but "really bad" is mad stretching it. It's an aggressively straightforward revenge movie that really peters out about halfway through, but it's not a bad movie by any means.

As my friend put it: "it's like they were being paid by the minute, to make it draw out as long as possible". As I put it, "they tried to make it like a David Lynch movie and failed." I'm mad because I really wanted to like it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

As my friend put it: "it's like they were being paid by the minute, to make it draw out as long as possible". As I put it, "they tried to make it like a David Lynch movie and failed." I'm mad because I really wanted to like it.

It's more like if Tarkovsky took a major bong rip and decided to make a revenge flick set to King Crimson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked Mandy but it was very much style over substance. I enjoyed looking at it more than cared about what was going on. I was a little disappointed by it too, but I thought it was far from bad.