Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the game is neat but the dev team are a bunch of petty babies who can't handle criticism. my friends and i abandoned ship and on the way out one of them ate a 20 day ban from the game for telling one of the devs that PvP in this game was always about forming a bigger murderpile than the other side

go play something actually worth your time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Tbf only a couple of the devs/gm seem to be huge babies. Most of them seem normal.

I found the game and rolled an archmage. Made my way out of t1 but boy oh boy are keep Lord fights miserable! They have so much health and will agro on some pug outside the keep and reset themselves to full. If there were more interesting fight mechanics for the lords I wouldn't mind so much but they're just a mob with too much health.

Other than that I'm loving the server. Most players are pretty bad and will let you kite them and warband fights are huge fun. I wish more people wanted to do pq's tho they were my favorite part of the live game.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
I had way high hopes for this return, but no scripts on most (all?) Monsters and the super pettybaby gms turned me off of it really fast.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I logged in a couple days ago. Someone posted something that seemed like a silly joke in the advice channel so I replied with a silly joke. He starts going off on how toxic the community is that he can't get a simple question answered and the rest of the community start laughing at him for being so sensitive.

This goes on for about fifteen minutes.

Interesting community.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Inkfish posted:

Tbf only a couple of the devs/gm seem to be huge babies. Most of them seem normal.

This has largely been my experience as well, there's just 1-2 of them who are oddballs and the others I've ever ended up chatting to were cool people.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

desudrive posted:

I logged in a couple days ago. Someone posted something that seemed like a silly joke in the advice channel so I replied with a silly joke. He starts going off on how toxic the community is that he can't get a simple question answered and the rest of the community start laughing at him for being so sensitive.

This goes on for about fifteen minutes.

Interesting community.

Hello welcome to online videogames.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

I keep meaning to get back into this after close to a year of not playing only to get sucked into other games. Any major improvements in the last year or so? Have they added city sieges (or whatever they were called) yet?

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Cnidario posted:

I keep meaning to get back into this after close to a year of not playing only to get sucked into other games. Any major improvements in the last year or so? Have they added city sieges (or whatever they were called) yet?

It has gotten worse in the last few months. Really there isn't a reason to play this game anymore, it is so god drat boring.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lokipunk posted:

I had way high hopes for this return, but no scripts on most (all?) Monsters and the super pettybaby gms turned me off of it really fast.

I keep hearing people say this and I've literally never even seen a GM chat let alone felt impacted by one and I've been playing since it became a thing.

PVP in RoR is solid and that's really all the matters to anyone who actually wants to play. PVE was always an after thought even during live.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

I keep hearing people say this and I've literally never even seen a GM chat let alone felt impacted by one and I've been playing since it became a thing.

PVP in RoR is solid and that's really all the matters to anyone who actually wants to play. PVE was always an after thought even during live.

I’ve been playing the past week or so on my WP and KotBS and I’ve been having a blast in PvP/RvR

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
I had a marauder and a WE decently geared for T3, when T4 wasn't working.
Had decent gold, had leveled professions, etc.

Then took a break and when I got back to try T4, I found out that a purge of
inactive players had happened and all my characters deleted. Bleh.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why would you ever purge a low pop mmo?

"Guess we didn't need those players!!"

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So do the quests still not work at all?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Jackard posted:

Why would you ever purge a low pop mmo?

"Guess we didn't need those players!!"

the people who run this private server are idiots. that's what's kept me out so far

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They are successfully emulating WAR's original run I guess.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Quests work and you can actually get blue/purple gear from PQs that is better than PVP gear. Finding people to do the PQs with is another matter...

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Seems like someone stole the code and threw up a new Warhammer Online server.

https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26766

:suspense:

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 26, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Maybe these people deserve it, lol

E:

:iceburn:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 27, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I love how the first reply was "that sux"

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Anyone got a link to the alternate server?

*edit*

Found it! http://warhammeronline.freeforums.net/

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
love to see people whining about their fork of gpl'd software being stolen

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Lmao at that screed on the website about the new server

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's pretty much like someone else pointed out earlier in the thread; It's not at all surprising that the people putting together custom servers for a dead MMORPG have turned out to be crazy assholes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So...are we supposed to play on the RoR server with the crazy people or the other server?

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
All that drama aside, I had forgotten how floaty and unimpactful everything looks in this game.
The spell effects, sound design, animations and the lack of visual impact when anything actually connects (or just fizzles out without a sound as some tiny text spells "disrupt") are all just kind of mediocre. I enjoyed the underlying game well enough back in the day and I'm enjoying this private server, but it's interesting to think about just how much of this games failure might've been due to presentation.

Thanks for linking to it, in any case, although it seems I came in at a bad point in time with people jumping ship?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I remember it looked perfectly fine back in the day. Granted, its animations and movement fluidity never were top notch, but it was 100% playable

I'm guessing it would have received a graphics overhaul if it was still live, in order to be competitive with -other games-

Tbh, even swtor looks graphically outdated nowadays if compared to -other games- *cough*

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

I’m playing on the new server right now and it seems to be pretty much the same as ror but with a fraction of the population and some balance differences. The admin seems to like to use the announcement function to chat to people. I haven’t been banned for no reason even once yet so it’s a 10/10 from me

Edit: also both factions share chat channels so that’s fun

Edit 2: main site is https://warapoc.com

Inkfish fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 11, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
They're doing a PvP event for the 4 year anniversary so I decided to give this poo poo another go. I've got a level 19 ironbreaker and a level 12 chosen so woo

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I've been playing this for the last few months. If anyone needs help with money or general questions post your name here. I've got a 33 archmage and 40 runepriest currently.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

38 WH and 40 Choppa. I don't mind getting a discord set up if we want to establish a goon guild.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Mekchu posted:

So...are we supposed to play on the RoR server with the crazy people or the other server?

I had this question too, where are goons playing the most currently?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I had this question too, where are goons playing the most currently?

I don't think there are many people playing on either of the servers and it looks like the warapoc site is down as well.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

I don't think there are many people playing on either of the servers and it looks like the warapoc site is down as well.

I logged onto RoR the other day and there were...about 200 people on?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cnidario posted:

I logged onto RoR the other day and there were...about 200 people on?

That one is still up, the "other" WAR server seems to be gone.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Sounds like a clusterfuck in its death spiral but I have nothing to do right now so I'm going to give it a shot.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
countdown until your fun is ruined by the one lovely admin guy that godmodes because he gets mad when he loses to a zerg, then bans you when you call him out on it

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Blast of Confetti posted:

countdown until your fun is ruined by the one lovely admin guy that godmodes because he gets mad when he loses to a zerg, then bans you when you call him out on it

Fun.

I do want to see if I still like the game since I don't really remember much of it when it was live, in case any new servers pop up in the future.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Blast of Confetti posted:

That actually happened? Good Lord. No wonder there’s so much drama.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

This is a long download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cnidario posted:

That actually happened? Good Lord. No wonder there’s so much drama.

yeah, there's on admin that's mostly the reason for everyone who leaves the server so I guess he's the guy programming it. He bitches in world chat when he loses, gets mad at the ensuring git good from people who don't know any better, then gives you a temp ban or teleports to you, freezes you, kills you, then temp bans you. plus the aforementioned turning on god mode when he decides he doesn't want to lose to a zerg.

dude is the reason the server is dying because otherwise the PvP bits are working pretty solidly. if you still want to play then go for it but liking the game and having to leave because the guy is a complete tool really takes the wind out of your sails