Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bape Culture posted:

Is this right? My A7iii is finally arriving today (stock has been crazy in the uk it seems) and I always thought it was good. I’ve only got the one battery to take away with me.

The iii series cameras all have the bigger better battery but they're not cheap and aftermarket competitors have just started coming out and are decent but not quite the same. It will probably be a little while before they catch up. I used 2 Sony batteries for a wedding I just shot a few weeks back. I drained the one and maybe used about three quarters of the other. I shot about 1,000 photos over the course of the day and was shooting about 10 hours.

I love my Sony. Its made wedding photography much easier on my end once I got used to the Canon > Sony transition but it didn't take long. Eye and face AF is mind boggling as is the focus peaking/focus assist. Gear doesn't make the photographer better but it can make certain aspects of photography easier. Accessories for Sony are just insanely expensive. I think that was one of their strategies with the new A7iii was to get people to transition from Canon/Nikon to get into the Sony system with an inexpensive fullf rame mirrorless body for less than $2k and then make that money back on batteries, grips, lenses, flashes etc. The biggest problem with Sony is they don't have decades worth of lenses floating around the used market so you can't really find a great deal on the used market just yet and Sigma/Tamron are just starting to release lenses in E mount so your only other option is to convert lenses to E mount which has worked surprisingly well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There’s a 10% off code for capture one floating around too. Try the Fuji x forums. It’s in a banner at the top.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sildargod posted:

Kameraz.com and ormsdirect.co.za , there's also outdoorphoto.co.za but they're all pretty much level in pricing. I like the staff at kameraz, and their used kit is very high quality.

Kameraz.co.za, putting the kak in kamera since 1996

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Verman posted:

The iii series cameras all have the bigger better battery but they're not cheap and aftermarket competitors have just started coming out and are decent but not quite the same. It will probably be a little while before they catch up. I used 2 Sony batteries for a wedding I just shot a few weeks back. I drained the one and maybe used about three quarters of the other. I shot about 1,000 photos over the course of the day and was shooting about 10 hours.

I love my Sony. Its made wedding photography much easier on my end once I got used to the Canon > Sony transition but it didn't take long. Eye and face AF is mind boggling as is the focus peaking/focus assist. Gear doesn't make the photographer better but it can make certain aspects of photography easier. Accessories for Sony are just insanely expensive. I think that was one of their strategies with the new A7iii was to get people to transition from Canon/Nikon to get into the Sony system with an inexpensive fullf rame mirrorless body for less than $2k and then make that money back on batteries, grips, lenses, flashes etc. The biggest problem with Sony is they don't have decades worth of lenses floating around the used market so you can't really find a great deal on the used market just yet and Sigma/Tamron are just starting to release lenses in E mount so your only other option is to convert lenses to E mount which has worked surprisingly well for me.

Yeah, that is the issue for me. I really like my A7 as a hobbyist camera (especially using older MF glass), but have been considering getting back into the occasional odd paid wedding and was thinking I'd need to switch back to Canon - the Sony glass is just so expensive (like you said, owing to not having literally decades of second copies floating around). Are you finding the AF stuff on adapters performs well enough to use for weddings? I do miss my old 24-70L f/2.8...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Finally...

HorribleAvatar
Feb 26, 2012

We're through running form these bastards!

Let us know how you like the lenses, I'm curious about the Samyang autofocus so report back in.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the 28-70. I got a cheap one, the kit lens, after reading that it was good for a kit lens but I guess Fuji spoiled me because it is pretty poo poo. I am mainly adapting lenses but wanted t get one versatile zoom that can autofocus if I need it and I rarely take the kit lens out. It was only 175 bucks so not a big loss but still pretty annoying since the reviews were good and the lack of detail makes me want to throw it off a bridge.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah, that is the issue for me. I really like my A7 as a hobbyist camera (especially using older MF glass), but have been considering getting back into the occasional odd paid wedding and was thinking I'd need to switch back to Canon - the Sony glass is just so expensive (like you said, owing to not having literally decades of second copies floating around). Are you finding the AF stuff on adapters performs well enough to use for weddings? I do miss my old 24-70L f/2.8...

I've got a Sigma art 24-70 2.8 in canon on a Sigma adapter and is great. As quick as my canon stuff. I don't honestly notice a difference between native and Sigma. I just used an adapted Tamron 70-200 2.8 and it hunted a little during fast moving (walking towards camera and away from) action but it was totally usable for wedding stuff. I imagine the Sigma will function better. The Sigma stuff is so good, I don't anticipate paying for Sony glass any time soon now that Sigma is releasing the 70-200 2.8 art/sport. Those two are my bread and butter wedding lenses plus an 85 1.4 for portraits. If they could somehow make a 50-85 1.8 for full frame that would make my day.

I haven't used a lot of actual canon lenses on this yet but I've heard good things as well depending on the lens.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

SimpleCoax posted:

It looks like Capture One has a perpetual license for Fujifilm owners now.

Sweet! Also looks like they lined up the pricing of the Sony and Fuji versions (originally Sony was cheaper). Unfortunately they did this by raising the price of the Sony versions up to Fuji levels.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Splinter posted:

Sweet! Also looks like they lined up the pricing of the Sony and Fuji versions (originally Sony was cheaper). Unfortunately they did this by raising the price of the Sony versions up to Fuji levels.

Ugh, how much is it now? I was running down my trial and was going to pay the 79 bucks when it ran out.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

rio posted:

Ugh, how much is it now? I was running down my trial and was going to pay the 79 bucks when it ran out.

20x:10bux:...:aaaaa:

e: worth emailing them saying "wtf can I still get it for $80 you bait&switch bamboozlers?"

Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 9, 2018

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

SimpleCoax posted:

It looks like Capture One has a perpetual license for Fujifilm owners now.

I was already using Capture One in my tethering setup since it was faster than app stacking with Fuji's program and anything else. I'll have to see if the camera control really makes any sense in my workflow but if I can get faster image review (especially for RAWs) I'll be happy.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Splinter posted:

20x:10bux:...:aaaaa:

e: worth emailing them saying "wtf can I still get it for $80 you bait&switch bamboozlers?"

Jesus. There�s no way I�m paying that - I was keeping my adobe sub for Photoshop and I can�t justify a big software purchase for something that I am essentially getting for free with Lightroom even if I do prefer C1 now. Thanks for the info and suggestion though - I did write them and I�ll see what they say.

Do you think Fuji asked them to raise the price so that there wouldn�t be as much of an incentive for people to go to Sony? Or is Sony not partnering with the like they used to be? I can wrap my head around the incremental price increases (50 to 60, 60 to 70 etc.) each year but that is a really big jump and doesn�t seem to match up with what they have been doing with Sony pricing in the past.

Edit: I got a reply that said “my hands are tied” blah blah blah. Guess it’s time to uninstall and get back to Lightroom. I would have bought the product if they had simply told me that the price was going up and I’m not going to support a company that won’t inform users when there will be a price increase.

rio fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 9, 2018

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
Can I get some m43 lens recommendations please?

With my current setup (Panasonic G7), I�ve got the base Pana 1.7 25mm and 42.5mm, plus a Sigma 2.8 30mm (and predominantly use the 25mm). Since I�m still quite the beginner and learning, I�m trying to decide I should get a zoom lens or a wide angle next.

I�ve narrowed it down to the Pana 1.7 15mm or the Sigma 1.4 16mm for the wide, otherwise a Sigma 2.8 60mm for the zoom. Would there be any other good options around?

e: oh, meant to say I do portrait photography.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Fucks sake. Bad start to A7iii ownership.

My 128GB Sandisk card can’t be read in slot one. Seems it’s a batch issue and some Sony firmware shenanigans or something:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1564399/0

Now to try and explain this to amazon to see if they can help me swap for some 64GB joints instead in time for my trip.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Schlinky posted:

With my current setup (Panasonic G7), I�ve got the base Pana 1.7 25mm and 42.5mm, plus a Sigma 2.8 30mm (and predominantly use the 25mm). Since I�m still quite the beginner and learning, I�m trying to decide I should get a zoom lens or a wide angle next.

I�ve narrowed it down to the Pana 1.7 15mm or the Sigma 1.4 16mm for the wide, otherwise a Sigma 2.8 60mm for the zoom. Would there be any other good options around?

Panasonic 14mm 2.5

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Schlinky posted:

Traditionally, the 'ideal' portrait lens length is 85 -1 00mm on FF - so 42 - 50mm on a m4/3 so if that is why you want a new lens, you're pretty much there with the 42.5mm.

However, if you want another lens to play around with because photography is fun:

Xabi posted:

Panasonic 14mm 2.5

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Schlinky posted:

You can get the Pana 14mm 2.5 and the Oly 40-150mm cheap if you shop around a bit, especially if you are okay with buying used.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and 75mm f/1.8 are great portrait lenses.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Schlinky posted:

Get the Olympus 60mm macro and go take pictures of bugs.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Finger Prince posted:

Get the Olympus 60mm macro and go take pictures of bugs.

This

Or the 15mm 1.7 that you mentioned earlier ( that is my favorite m43 lens and it pretty much stays on my gx85 about 80-90% of the time)

The 42.5 that you already have (which i also carry with me all the time) is perfectly good as a portrait lens and you're not going to see a big upgrade there short of the Panasonic 42.5 1.2 or the Olympus 45 1.2 or the Olympus 75 1.8

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh yeah the 60mm f/2.8 is a phenomenal macro lens.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If you're an a7RIII or a7III owner who uses adapters, the new firwmare released today gives access to all focus modes on LA-EA3 style adapters without using advanced modes. This came to the a9 a few months ago.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 10, 2018

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Oly 60mm macro alone is IMO good enough reason to get M4/3 camera! Cheap too, well relatively

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Loving the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 on my new GX9. Apart from that, my favorite lens is the Oly 12-100. Nocticron is also p awesome.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
Appreciate the input - I’ll have a look into this a bit more then!

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
Has anyone seen inventory estimates for the RF 28-70 F2L?

I’ve got an acute case of GAS but a hard Feb 8 deadline as I want it for a long trip to New Zealand.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Seems a bit heavy for a travel lens. It is heavier than a 70-200 mm f/2.8.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

DoLittle posted:

Seems a bit heavy for a travel lens. It is heavier than a 70-200 mm f/2.8.

In reality I think what I really want is a native 2.8. I was able to hold an adapted 24-70 2.8 today and it felt nice as far as weight. I don’t like the idea though of not having a native walk around lens. I use the 17-55 2.8 all the time on my 7D and really don’t want to go back to a f4.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Kinda mirrorless chat .. my Mavic 2 Pro for some reason didn't output a RAW of one of my favorite shots from Colorado and the trees look like worms. How is JPEG processing THAT bad from this thing?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:siren: Capture One just added GFX50s support :siren:

And there's now a standalone Capture one just for fuji cameras, with an express version that does everything Pro does without tethering and a few other 'essential' features. This is phenomenal.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 12, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KennyG posted:

In reality I think what I really want is a native 2.8. I was able to hold an adapted 24-70 2.8 today and it felt nice as far as weight. I don’t like the idea though of not having a native walk around lens. I use the 17-55 2.8 all the time on my 7D and really don’t want to go back to a f4.

I think a full frame f/4 should be very similar to the 17-55 f/2.8 on a 7D, shouldn’t it?

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
According to this https://www.pointsinfocus.com/tools/depth-of-field-and-equivalent-lens-calculator it’s slightly narrower for FF/4 vs APS-c/2.8 at equivalent fov (50mm vs 80mm). So I guess the fact that the R is at least a stop better than the 7D I lose nothing. Also the 2k savings is a used 70-200 2.8 IS II in EX condition with enough for a converter. :pervert:

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

red19fire posted:

:siren: Capture One just added GFX50s support :siren:

And there's now a standalone Capture one just for fuji cameras, with an express version that does everything Pro does without tethering and a few other 'essential' features. This is phenomenal.

How much is this version?

You can do tethering w a Fuji app right?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Express is free. It's also missing some other important stuff (layers, healing/cloning, some other stuff) but the price is right.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Since there are so many Fuji shooters here, how do you get 2nd curtain sync with manual flash/triggers? Needed flash for some night rally stage shooting yesterday and grabbed my Canon flash stuff assuming it just works like with Oly. Apparently it does not or is there some way to get it working?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

tino posted:

How much is this version?

You can do tethering w a Fuji app right?

I’m actually curious about this as well because the xt2 is capable of wireless tethering. Does it work directly through C1, or is it wired only? Or maybe it recognizes the Fuji X app > hot folder workaround? I should open a service ticket and ask.

Fuji only is $199 for the full version, pro everything is $299, and upgrades are $99. It’s not a steal by any stretch but if you’re like me and use it constantly it’s fine.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How’s the IBIS with the XH1? I shoot with an XT2 when out hiking and I’m thinking having the stabilization would be nice.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

holocaust bloopers posted:

How’s the IBIS with the XH1? I shoot with an XT2 when out hiking and I’m thinking having the stabilization would be nice.

Excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

torgeaux posted:

Excellent.

Ugh. I might rent one for an upcoming trip.