Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Ahhh fair enough.

Anyway, you could screw yourself out of your GI Bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Remulak posted:

How the hell do you decline GI Bill in boot camp?? Does this mean no education money?

Also, 11th grade-were you 17 or 18?

17 when I did the asvab and early entry. Had to wait for my 18th bday to ship off to boot. Pretty sure the early entry counted against inactive time.
The pre-9/11 GI bill at the time was a flat $25k for 12 months at $100 a month, with the option to decline. I would bet 1/4 of my boot company declined it. (we were mostly Nuke candidates dumbasses)

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
You know you automatically qualify for the Post-9/11, right?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Some of these fuckers are old

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, depends on their years of service.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

I went back to vo-tech school in 99, so still pre 9/11. It was only about 4k out of pocket for 2 years anyways. Doing fine now.
Milked the poo poo out of VA loans though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I had the Montgomery and some kind of poo poo investment thing for GI Bill which completely sucked. At least I was in college when it didn't require the sale of body parts or taking out student loans to attend.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The military is a trade off. The end result is based on what kind of person you were before, what you make of it, plus a significant amount of chance. My non-combat role got me free college, a great civilian job, no debt, cheap healthcare, etc. There's still plenty of stuff to be pissed off about but those are some pretty big pluses towards my general wellbeing so I can handle them.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Melthir posted:

Ladies and gentlemen....the winner.

"winner"

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Casimir Radon posted:

The military is a trade off. The end result is based on what kind of person you were before, what you make of it, plus a significant amount of chance. My non-combat role got me free college, a great civilian job, no debt, cheap healthcare, etc. There's still plenty of stuff to be pissed off about but those are some pretty big pluses towards my general wellbeing so I can handle them.

People really underplay the amount of chance that goes in to things. There's a lot of "what you make of it" that gets said but like sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you try to get your mos-required training you chain of command might just flat out refuse to let you go to anything because what if you need to come in and fix another section's work again, better just stay at your desk and hope we come up with work for you this month. Even though I was at a unit with more than enough of a training budget and in a section that needed somebody of my MOS (of which we had multiples) for maybe 3 weeks at a time three times a year.

Also you might (and/or will almost certainly) get injured in some way at some point.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Don’t rush your poop kids. Having butt problems in your permanent record is embarrassing.

So I’ve heard.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Better them than me, the only contract artilleryman when I hit the fleet.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

drat. Didn’t computers or intel stuff sound interesting enough for you guys?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

DoktorLoken posted:

Not enough poo poo exploding because I wanted it to. Had some poo poo to work out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Meydey posted:

I was so gung ho I enlisted early, in 11th grade, and turned down the GI bill in boot. Making nuke decisions even before nuke school.

I just want to make sure this post makes the following page because I love it so much.

I need to figure out how I want to burn my last 24 months of Post 9/11 and milk my MGIB.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

I just want to make sure this post makes the following page because I love it so much.

I need to figure out how I want to burn my last 24 months of Post 9/11 and milk my MGIB.

Art history degree

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Meydey posted:

17 when I did the asvab and early entry. Had to wait for my 18th bday to ship off to boot. Pretty sure the early entry counted against inactive time.

This was me in the mid 2000's. 7 months reservist before the finally shipped me to boot 4 months after my 18th birthday. Only was IRR for just over a year once I got done.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I should also add I was JROTC my Sophomore year of high school. Did the whole forest cammies every Friday thing (which is NOT a good way to meet girls).
I didnt turn 18 till 3 months after graduation so I moved from Seattle to Tampa to live with my dad since I was going to Orlando RTC. Then I got homesick, flew back to Seattle, did MEPs, and flew back to Orlando.
Also bought a new Isuzu pickup after boot before Nuke A school (and getting dropped from said A school 2 months later)
And..lost a stripe in Dam Neck being stupid again, so hit the fleet as an e2. Pretty sure all this qualifies me for this thread.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DoktorLoken posted:

I was in before computers were really a thing, and I mainly wanted to jump out of airplanes.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

What I got out of the military was a lot of fun stories, a lot of dumb stories, scars, and no correctly functioning joints in my body.

I also got college, a pension, and the ability to piss off all my friends by telling them I have a rough day of getting up at the crack of noon tomorrow.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/MarlaReynoldsC3/status/1048660122485084160

Edit: adding a screenshot for when the guy finds out his mom posted this.

Davethulhu fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 8, 2018

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ah, yes, the Navy. Bastion of sexual awareness and a culture of respect for consent.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That outfit makes him look like he should be tap dancing on Broadway with Bing Crosby. Do USN sailors seriously wear that poo poo?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Someone should tell her that the Blue Star is for the family of people serving in the military, not extras in a production of South Pacific.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That can't be a real navy uniform, if that guy went over the side someone might see him.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Who doesn’t love the Navy dress whites

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

navy dress whites are legit

how much do they suck to wear though

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I thought they were pretty comfortable tbh, just never dare to eat while wearing em

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

They look goofy as poo poo and they are borderline transparent in any amount of light. And yeah, don't wear them if you plan on eating or doing anything that could get them dirty.

Seriously, the Navy comes up with a new uniform every other week. How are those things still around? And nobody say "tradition" because they consider the trucker caps with NAVY written on them traditional.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Head of US marine force in Darwin stood down for drink-driving on nightclub strip

Apparently he blew 0.10 on the breathalyser. Keeping up the proud tradition of overseas-based marines since the dawn of the Corps. And in the proudest traditions of Australian courts dealing with old white guys drink driving, no conviction was recorded as it "...would affect any assignments or promotions he could hope to get in future". :australia:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Bunch of jealous rear end bitches itt hating on the Navy's wizard regalia

That said anyone who wins awards for boot camp is probably completely loving useless

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 9, 2018

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Memento posted:

Head of US marine force in Darwin stood down for drink-driving on nightclub strip

Apparently he blew 0.10 on the breathalyser. Keeping up the proud tradition of overseas-based marines since the dawn of the Corps. And in the proudest traditions of Australian courts dealing with old white guys drink driving, no conviction was recorded as it "...would affect any assignments or promotions he could hope to get in future". :australia:

quote:

He had been at Shenanigans Restaurant and Bar in the CBD and was driving home to Larrakeyah, a suburb about 3.4 kilometres away.

Holy poo poo, Shenanigans were had.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Bunch of jealous rear end bitches itt hating on the Navy's wizard regalia

That said anyone who wins awards for boot camp is probably completely loving useless

No jealousy here, I just thought it was stupid.

Of course, the Navy was the second mistake I made, so I'm stupid too. Right thread I guess. At least I got a good duty station out of it, which is not something I could say about my time in the corps.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That outfit makes him look like he should be tap dancing on Broadway with Bing Crosby. Do USN sailors seriously wear that poo poo?

Yes, though not everyone pulls it off as fabulously as he does.

Dress whites being worn to any event where food is served should be considered disposable items. Doubly so if there's also alcohol.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

He didn’t win top anything in boot camp because he’d have the dumb pin from it and he only has his normal two as a E4. Poor mom in denial about her sons sexuality.

Keeping it clean after 4 days in NYC Fleetweek with rain, subways, food and drink is probably my single most impressive feat. Got a little dingy and changed to my second one for the rest of the trip.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
https://twitter.com/DancinJonHanson/status/1049455719471296512

https://twitter.com/DancinJonHanson/status/1049476000789274624

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lol if that mom put it up to gently caress with him
She sure as hell succeeded

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nah he’s rolling with it pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ixian posted:

Cold War Army was weird.

It cracks me up that every era is shown in combat gear except the 80s where he’s got a mop