Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd honestly be into Goblin Slayer if it wasn't for the rape poo poo. Edgy ultraviolence can be fun like in Hellsing.

I think I'll just enjoy my dumb slime, bunny girl, and Jojo animes. Still waiting to watch Bloom Into You for when a friend is done moving in with her boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Clitch posted:

Goblin is Very Strong anime when?

:yeah:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't really get what you see in Goblinslayer besides the rape. It's top to bottom that guy who complains that they don't just use guns to kill Voldemorte.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the punk lesbian fujoshi ftw

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To think that an anime where a guy creates star babies with his harem is one of the more tame anime this season.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh right and just to be another person on the heap, Zombieland Saga good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't really get what you see in Goblinslayer besides the rape. It's top to bottom that guy who complains that they don't just use guns to kill Voldemorte.

It's a really dumb premise that I would have watched just to laugh at the edginess and violence, but the rape just sends it into straight up nope territory.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the whole catch of the story isn't even engaging unless you're willing to be just as ignorant as the poo poo newbie teams going out getting owned. If this really was a world where even goblins were a massive threat and needed to be treated with caution then society should have evolved to address them as such. Instead all these newbies act completely against that and the whole narrative of countless poo poo kids getting merc'd is written off as a "learning experience". It's honestly a case where making it an isekai so you can have some measure of fish out of water element in it would have fit that awkwardness would have actually worked.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i know i'm going to catch flak for criticizing this one but that's essentially my one irk about irozoku sekai, that the mc constantly laments losing the color in her life because she hates magic. Except magic has been present in her life and the world as a whole forever so no one would rationally make that judgment, it's weird. It'd be like a millenial kid whining about how electricity and electronics were a mistake and sapped his life of color and meaning. I hope there's some sort of substance or explanation that goes into why she'd make that kind of judgment instead of it just being wholly a romance show from the looks of it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

GS worldbuilding is bad because it presents the people living in the world as having the knowledge base of RPG players who think dragons are the hard enemies and goblins are just to gain exp. Whereas if this is supposed to be a believable world people would see goblins as a big threat. Cause of all the dead young people

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ccs posted:

GS worldbuilding is bad because it presents the people living in the world as having the knowledge base of RPG players who think dragons are the hard enemies and goblins are just to gain exp. Whereas if this is supposed to be a believable world people would see goblins as a big threat. Cause of all the dead young people

essentially what i was trying to say, said better

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

the punk lesbian fujoshi ftw

What show is that?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why do so many Tolkien-esque fantasy anime use RPG mechanics as a part of the actual world anyway?

I feel like that Adventures' Guild where the main characters get quests from could be from any 50 fantasy anime.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Roth posted:

Why do so many Tolkien-esque fantasy anime use RPG mechanics as a part of the actual world anyway?

I feel like that Adventures' Guild where the main characters get quests from could be from any 50 fantasy anime.

Isekai
Originality

Pick One

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am looking forward to seeing the other folks in Double Decker in action next week.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sharkie made the point that the world was written to be as malicious as possible. All excuses that adventurers and authorities have bigger issues to worry about don’t hold up because the threat of low level raids is one of the things that requires an organized response. Did Roman border regions deal with raiders by sending small parties of incompetents to be butchered? Of course not, and not even when massive civil wars were raging across the empire.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think The Elder Scrolls has something to do with the RPG nature just as much as Tolkien.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dehry posted:

I think The Elder Scrolls has something to do with the RPG nature just as much as Tolkien.

It’s Dungeons and Dragons. Record of Lodoss War, one of the most influential modern Japanese fantasy works, was literally just the writer’s novelised D&D campaign.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Sharkie made the point that the world was written to be as malicious as possible. All excuses that adventurers and authorities have bigger issues to worry about don’t hold up because the threat of low level raids is one of the things that requires an organized response. Did Roman border regions deal with raiders by sending small parties of incompetents to be butchered? Of course not, and not even when massive civil wars were raging across the empire.

The logic, such as it is, seems to be that cities in this setting are heavily-fortified and self-sufficient, so only citykiller monsters really matter. Goblins are dumb and weak enough that they only pose a serious threat to anyone unwise enough to set themselves up outside the city walls, and are mainly just a warm-up before you start taking on the real threats - and the high attrition rate is tolerated because if you get killed by goblins, you wouldn’t even stand a chance against the proper nasties. That’s what puts the protagonist so at odds with everyone else - he’s a villager trying to minimise villager casualties, which requires a totally different approach and set of priorities.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
[watching fantasy anime] :hmmyes: ah clearly inspired by daggerfall there, and that's a precise reference to the parts of oblivion michael kirkbride wrote while on acid :hmmyes:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I confused daggerfall for swordspoint and was like hell yes give me a mediocre rpg isekai fantasy full of sexually fluid characters

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

:shrug: It's the same to me as Berserk. Bad guy does bad thing, good guy kills lots of them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i would extremely recommend re-reading berserk

or maybe just reading it in general

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
it's great that you came back to the forum after a year of barely posting to tell us you like the orcs raping women anime because it has good guys and bad guys

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NateMing/status/1049430766919147520

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I feel like not enough spyce has been released yet

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Someone please tell me that this trash anime is only one cour so I don't have to see a million posts with handwringing recommendations of it anytime it comes up for more than the next 3 months.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

next week should be even better on the cute goblin front. i'm still just in awe of how light and funny the slime adaptation is, even with totally invented gags like the dragon names or the noble commissioning the adventurer's guild. the comedic timing is great and they're still going wild with really fluid slime animation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

next week should be even better on the cute goblin front. i'm still just in awe of how light and funny the slime adaptation is, even with totally invented gags like the dragon names or the noble commissioning the adventurer's guild. the comedic timing is great and they're still going wild with really fluid slime animation.

Slime-kun's visuals are indeed a lot of fun and carry the show even where the writing's just okay. I liked episode 2 quite a bit.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm liking slime anime more than I thought it would. the slime expressions this week was A+ cartooning

Bad Goblin anime is near the top of rankings for CR so yeah *sigh*

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wish slimedad was always cg though. Just them, nobody else.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

rewatching the ep now and it's also cool how they give a real sense of effort to him trying to swallow the sealing spell

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

wow what anime has two kavanaughs right next to each other

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Started watching Goblin Slayer having watched a video on Youtube doing a roundup of what someone had watched expecting something like a D&D version of Attack on Titan, nope’d out at a predictable moment. I’ll probably try Gridman and that Slime show. Glad to see Railgun is getting another series, I just wish they’d make them more frequently.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
excited to see Run With The Wind's second episode tomorrow, really curious to what the show will shape up to be

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

excited to see Run With The Wind's second episode tomorrow, really curious to what the show will shape up to be

I feel like we already got the answer to that - a solidly-executed ‘band of misfits aim for impossible goal’ show in the vein of A Place Further Than The Universe. It doesn’t seem like the sort of setup and execution that promises big surprises down the line - the premiere was very ‘trust us, we know what we’re doing’.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i look forward to seeing the various ways haiji will con and blackmail everyone into running his relay

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

I feel like not enough spyce has been released yet

as usual we have more than enough salt though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

dogsicle posted:

i look forward to seeing the various ways haiji will con and blackmail everyone into running his relay

:same: