Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Obviously the student loan can be solved by

Open a business
Apply for a small business loan
Invest in "training" (your college degree)
Have you're broke LLC file bankruptcy
Walk away with a degree from Full Sail University
Profit???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

My father in law bought a race horse together with 2-3 others. The horse requires $1,000/mo in maintenance and it hasn't placed better than 6th in a race yet.

Is that a lot of money for horse maintenance?

Dik Hz posted:

Ouch, man. I know my posts are bad, but let's not say things we can't take back.

My thing is boring self posts and also getting under the skin of that Mr rogers avatar guy. Your rant about "poor people do overtime like THIS, dooDOOdoo!" doesn't resemble my handiwork, imho, but I'd still be flattered if I were you

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Amazon's one of the biggest employers in the country. Their boosting base pay to $15 a hour puts pressure on everyone else competing for workers, so it doesn't have to be THAT much better for Amazon employees to still be a net positive overall. Performance bonuses might have been nice, but in my experience those are unreliable because then your employer is always trying to find ways to work the numbers to minimize incentive pay. At my job we can have a fantastic year, but about a month before bonus time we hear about all the metrics we failed to meet and oh no I guess that means smaller checks.

To be fair, I'm not sure how many warehouse and logistic jobs were paying less than Amazon. From what I've read Amazon usually paid below average wages. So maybe this won't make much of an impact initially, but any effort to normalize a higher minimum wage is good.

I have only the dreaded anecdotal evidence but around Minneapolis 15 is about the base rate you can expect entry level, plus or minus 50 cents or so

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dik Hz posted:

Ouch, man. I know my posts are bad, but let's not say things we can't take back.

It's ok, I would hate people who falsely complain about work times as well, just haven't met any (yet?)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mandatory lesbian posted:

I have only the dreaded anecdotal evidence but around Minneapolis 15 is about the base rate you can expect entry level, plus or minus 50 cents or so

That's about average. If you work overnights you can get $16 or $17.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Less stupid bickering, more dumb people.

Extremely high interest rate loans taking over my life, need help now!

quote:

First off thank you for your time!

I'm 22 y/o and am drowning in debt slowly and have no money left for food or even to live.. I have absolutely f***** myself.. PLEASE HELP

I currently work at a job and make about 1100 every 2 weeks after taxes and 5% to my 401k that I just started not long ago and 5% that goes to my company's stock purchase program.

This past spring I took my motorcycle training course to acquire my adorsement. Shortly after tried to buy a motorcycle and was denied because my credit score. I was extremely irritated and tried to raise my credit and it back fired..

I am currently about $14,000 in debt and every paycheck goes straight to bills because of my interest rates... I currently have 1 car loan for $179 @ 4.99% which isnt a problem, $150 for insurance, $400 for rent.

The loans that are killing me is an elastic loan because I'm a dumb rear end and maxed out is currently $205 every paycheck.. a $267 dirt bike loan I took out to help "raise" my credit score little did I know how dumb I was, it has a 1-time payoff payment of $2200 or pay $267 a month until I pay a total of $6700. I also have a $1500 personal "credit building" loan from a credit union @ 18%. 2 secured credit cards with a low monthly min payments @ $20.. oh and a $200 cell phone bill...

I went on an absolute bender trying to raise my credit score and opened so many new accounts I have no money for even food now without missing bills..

Does anyone have any solutions to debt consolidation? I've tried some things on my own but havnt had any luck..

Even if I could get 4500 to pay off my elastic account and dirt bike loan @ 200-300 $ a month it would save me anywhere from 400-500 $..

Please please help or point me in the right direction..

Thanks again.

This person seems to not have a great grasp of how credit and credit ratings work.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Lockback posted:

Less stupid bickering, more dumb people.

Extremely high interest rate loans taking over my life, need help now!

This person seems to not have a great grasp of how credit and credit ratings work.

I think your link is broken, I tried to click it and nothing happened.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

Obviously the student loan can be solved by

Open a business
Apply for a small business loan
Invest in "training" (your college degree)
Have you're broke LLC file bankruptcy
Walk away with a degree from Full Sail University
Profit???

I'm sure you're joking but this doesn't work because you can't receive a tuition sized small business loan for a business with no assets or income without a personal guarantee. Most people would not default on a personal loan and go into personal bankruptcy to receive a college degree, even if there is no risk of your creditors crying fraud (there is), not really worth it if the whole point of going to college and obtaining a degree is to improve your financial prospects.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Droo posted:

I think your link is broken, I tried to click it and nothing happened.

I just assume no link means it's a self post. And we all know how we feel about self posts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This guy's whole story is mostly standard BWM and not particularly exciting, but his first sentence is amazing.

quote:

I'm 23, married, have a kid, live on our own, and my job has been Youtuber/Livestreamer

So not too long ago I worked at an animation studio as an in house editor. 3 days before my son was born I was laid off. My only option I had was to pursue a YouTube career.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

I [22 M] made a small lie to my girlfriend [23 F] I decided to roll with it but its now catching up. What do I do?

So basically while in the courting stage of the relationship I told my girlfriend who had expressed interest in crypto currencies that I had purchased 2 btc years ago for only a couple hundred bucks... With btc being rated at about 7.4k right now and with me hurting for money she suggested I sell some of it... She has told her whole family that I made this purchase, and I'm kinda stuck in this lie now and have no clue what to do lol.

I told her that my btc was in a cold storage wallet with my mother in another state, who we're visiting for thanksgiving. She suggested I grab it while we're down there to help out my financial situation.

I've totally learned from my mistake and honestly didn't think this would be a big thing, but have no clue how to navigate the current situation. I've reaffirmed with her that I have that BTC multiple times since I first told her, so I really am kinda stuck. Any insight?

I was hoping I could save myself when I finish my degree and get a signing bonus..... Lol only two years left.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/7by1a8/i_22_m_made_a_small_lie_to_my_girlfriend_23_f_i/

quote:

I[28M] finally convinced my paranoid mom[55F] to go into investing. The stock crashed. Should I tell her?

As above. I've always enjoyed dabbling in Forex, Gold trading, Bitcoin and stocks. I don't buy big, but I've made some profit, and it's been an interesting trip.

My mother has always been paranoid about investing. She's always been opposed to me "gambling". Maybe it's selfish of me, but I wanted her to try. She's got so much savings that could be better put to making more money. It took me years before I finally convinced her to invest in a stock I truly, sincerely had faith in.

We put in two thousand each. I reminded her there was no sure-win in stock, but I also told her just how much I trusted this particular investment(which was why I was putting in just as much as her).

Well, it just crashed. And my mother still doesn't know yet. It was supposed to be a low risk, low return investment, but it just somehow tanked. gently caress.

Reddit, I need your help. The money isn't such a big issue to me. Should I pass my mother back two thousand and lie to her that there was neither a gain nor loss in the stock? Or should I just outright tell her it died?

TLDR: Took years to convince paranoid mother to invest in a stock with me. Against all odds, the stock died. Not sure if I should just pass my mother her original capital and lie that the stock broke even, or admit to her it crashed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/82xhoe/i28m_finally_convinced_my_paranoid_mom55f_to_go/

quote:

Me [26 M] convincing my friend [29 M] to spend less recklessly.

My buddy John is a manger at a 7-11, makes about $14/hr and has a poo poo-ton of credit card debt. Some of it is tuition, but most is due to consumer products. Like he'll spend a couple hundred bucks upgrading to the latest smartphone every year. He's not much of a gamer, but he'll spend hundreds upgrading his computer just because a new video card or hard drive came out. He has a huge library of Steam games, many of which he's never even played. He's the reason I have an air fryer and floor steamer- he bought those, used em once or twice, then gave them to me after never touching them again.

He's illiquid to the point I've loaned him money multiple times so he can avoid late or overdraft fees. One occasion happened 3 days after he bought a 60" flat screen and couldn't pay his rent. We got into target shooting about a year ago. He's spent about 3k on guns in that time. About half of that is on random accessories that only serve to make the gun look cooler. He texted me the other day saying he wants to buy one particular gun that costs $2k. Seriously, wtf? That's going to be a $5k gun by the time it's paid off. And he can't afford to shoot it.

He's almost 30 and his only "savings" consist of buying bitcoin, which he is convinced will make him wealthy. He spent $50k to get a psychology degree, yet has no plans to leave the 7-11. I've offered him job referrals, some would have been nearly guaranteed, but he won't even make a resume.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/76vucv/me_26_m_convincing_my_friend_29_m_to_spend_less/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

You're the hero this thread needs Leon

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This guy's whole story is mostly standard BWM and not particularly exciting, but his first sentence is amazing.

One of my former managers was good to work for. She was tough when she needed to be, but understanding. Her son had a touch of the ‘tism and was just starting college. He didn’t do well in his first semester. She told me that since he didn’t do well and he likes playing vidja games, that he’s going to be pursuing a twitch/youtuber career instead of finishing college.

I tried explaining to her that it was not a good idea, but she didn’t listen. She’s also obsessed with walking dead and Funko pops. She also told me she was bi and hinted that she had group orgy pics on her phone. I declined to look.

She had a great career and was good at her job, but always complained about not having money due to her husband. Hmm, why, I wondered. It turns out that he had a good, boring, white collar job, but got depressed and decided to do a little breaking and entering while armed, but the homeowner was home. Oops. He wasn’t a murderer, though and ran when he was discovered, but the problem was, he knew the woman who’s house he was breaking into. She called the cops and he went to prison. He worked as a transcriptionist when he got out for a little pay, here and there, but not much.

I felt bad for her because one day, we were at work and she took a phone call. She started crying and ran out. Her husband had gotten bored and depressed about not being able to get a good job because he was a convicted felon, so he walked into a bank with a fake beard on and robbed the bank. The cops showed up and he got arrested again. Whoops!

I quit shortly after that, so I don’t know what’s happened since.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I dunno, I think lying about buying bitcoin is probably the "Best with Money" way to say you have bitcoin.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Lockback posted:

I dunno, I think lying about buying bitcoin is probably the "Best with Money" way to say you have bitcoin.

There's an extra layer of sadness to "I lied about having 14 grand and there's no way for me to ever obtain 14 grand"

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My favorite line is:

My only option I had was to pursue a YouTube career.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cacafuego posted:

One of my former managers was good to work for. She was tough when she needed to be, but understanding. Her son had a touch of the �tism and was just starting college. He didn�t do well in his first semester. She told me that since he didn�t do well and he likes playing vidja games, that he�s going to be pursuing a twitch/youtuber career instead of finishing college.

I tried explaining to her that it was not a good idea, but she didn�t listen. She�s also obsessed with walking dead and Funko pops. She also told me she was bi and hinted that she had group orgy pics on her phone. I declined to look.

She had a great career and was good at her job, but always complained about not having money due to her husband. Hmm, why, I wondered. It turns out that he had a good, boring, white collar job, but got depressed and decided to do a little breaking and entering while armed, but the homeowner was home. Oops. He wasn�t a murderer, though and ran when he was discovered, but the problem was, he knew the woman who�s house he was breaking into. She called the cops and he went to prison. He worked as a transcriptionist when he got out for a little pay, here and there, but not much.

I felt bad for her because one day, we were at work and she took a phone call. She started crying and ran out. Her husband had gotten bored and depressed about not being able to get a good job because he was a convicted felon, so he walked into a bank with a fake beard on and robbed the bank. The cops showed up and he got arrested again. Whoops!

I quit shortly after that, so I don�t know what�s happened since.

There's free food and housing in prison, sounds like her husband was just being GWM.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Lockback posted:

What's even the problem, just make up a story about how the bitcoin was lost/stolen/hacked. This is extremely plausible.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Which makes you seem worse? Lying about having $13k or having $13k and losing it?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

There's free food and housing in prison, sounds like her husband was just being GWM.

All your cost savings get obliterated the moment you buy a Twinkie at the commissary or make a collect call. You get medical, but the 401k match sucks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

I am a twenty-four year old male, no outstanding debts, and I live in Florida. I am interested in a credit card mostly because I am moving into a new house and will likely need to purchase some additional furniture. Later on down the road I'd like to use it for some of my hobbies too (I.e. cosplay, Lego). I would prefer not to have a credit limit exceeding $1500, as I don't want to lose control of spending and keep interest payments low. EDIT: I'm seeing a lot of folks are putting their annual income in these posts. I make about 21K if my math is right,and I'll be paying a little less than $500/month for my housing costs (rent, utilities, etc).

Thank you for your suggestions!

When asked if he keeps a budget for his cosplay:

quote:

I will definitely look into that! I have a basic rule of not purchasing any piece that exceeds the cost of my rent,and that's worked okay for me in the past.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
24 with no credit card? What year is this?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Lowness 72 posted:

Lots of people strictly use debit cards for a long time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lowness 72 posted:

I know people in their 30's who think "credit card = debt and poverty."

One of my friends asked if something was wrong when I told him that I had more than one credit card.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
If you don't trust yourself to control spending then avoiding credit cards can be very GWM, but on the flip side a lot of people who avoid credit cards assume that everyone else is like them and carry a balance.

Ive more than once had to explain to randos on sites like Reddit that yes I have a credit card and no it doesnt mean I carry a balance. And no, paying it off in full doesn't ruin my credit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

All your cost savings get obliterated the moment you buy a Twinkie at the commissary or make a collect call. You get medical, but the 401k match sucks.

So wait until retirement and buy prison twinkies from your 401k?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ryde posted:

And no, paying it off in full doesn't ruin my credit.

Yeah, I don't understand this piece at all. Chase probably spent $50 million dollars in accounts to spread this around and it probably was worth every penny.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ryde posted:

And no, paying it off in full doesn't ruin my credit.

Is that really a thing people think? :psyduck:
Where do these ideas even come from?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

BMan posted:

You have to prove to our billionaire overlords that you are a good American consumer by always maintaining debt, theory checks out.

Edit: and as long as you are in debt you won't make trouble at work by demanding things like health benefits and 40 hour work weeks.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
I came across the myfico.com forum recently, it's a wild place. People put the credit cards they have in their signatures like we used to do with PC specs on gaming forums in 2001.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ganon posted:

I came across the myfico.com forum recently, it's a wild place. People put the credit cards they have in their signatures like we used to do with PC specs on gaming forums in 2001.

This guy apparently has 1,497 open credit cards.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Ganon posted:

And their FICO scores and their credit limits. It's kind of crazy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

BMan posted:

I'd not be surprised to find out the answer is "advertising campaigns from banks and credit issuers"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Do you guys not see the constant advertising campaign about how you’re an idiot if you don’t know your credit score?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FrozenVent posted:

Do you guys not see the constant advertising campaign about how you�re an idiot if you don�t know your credit score?

Oh I see that poo poo all the time. I was talking about advertising the idea that you should keep some small debt on your cards at all times rather than paying them down as soon as they're utilized (if possible)

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Dik Hz posted:

Pardon my naivete, but how is capitalization any different from non-capitalization on student loan interest? Either way you owe the money.

If you are on an income driven repayment plan then the amount of interest that can be capitalized is capped. Capitalization puts the interest as principal which allows it to then accrue interest (known as compounding). The cap helps avoid extreme levels of compounding (which is how 30k turns into 90k) even though you still owe for all of the interest that accrues. On an IDR plan your entire balance is forgiven after enough qualifying payments and that amount (principal and interest) is taxable income. So the main effect is substantially lower loan balances.

Which is why you should never just ignore the loans there are tons of options to prevent it from becoming a life ending disaster.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Raldikuk posted:

If you are on an income driven repayment plan then the amount of interest that can be capitalized is capped. Capitalization puts the interest as principal which allows it to then accrue interest (known as compounding). The cap helps avoid extreme levels of compounding (which is how 30k turns into 90k) even though you still owe for all of the interest that accrues. On an IDR plan your entire balance is forgiven after enough qualifying payments and that amount (principal and interest) is taxable income. So the main effect is substantially lower loan balances.

The bolded part is not true if you have it forgiven through some loan forgiveness plans - like PSLF - but it remains true for the "stop, stop, he's already poor!" 20 year automatic forgiveness.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ganon posted:

Wait wait, myfico has forums? :psyduck: Why?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The bolded part is not true if you have it forgiven through some loan forgiveness plans - like PSLF - but it remains true for the "stop, stop, he's already poor!" 20 year automatic forgiveness.

lol

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

That is correct, PSLF is a bit more generous that way (assuming you can get through all of the hoops); my information is specifically about income driven repayment which should be available to anyone who has had a federal student loan originated after Oct 2007. Also on certain repayment plans (such as PAYE and REPAYE) you can remain on the plan even if your income rises to the point that 10% of your discretionary income exceeds the 10 year standard repayment rate (you no longer demonstrate a personal financial hardship). Under those plans you would then just pay the 10-year rate and a capitalization event occurs where no more than 10% of the original principal will be capitalized (any remaining still is owed, just isn't capitalized) and you are still eligible for loan forgiveness after enough qualifying payments (assuming a balance still exists which would be unlikely once back on the 10 year plan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vox Nihili posted:

This guy apparently has 1,497 open credit cards.

1,498 if you count the v-card