Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

sellouts posted:

Presented with an 11:30a start, I wonder if teams would rather just have a 6a or 630a puck drop.

Holy gently caress no. I'm a night owl and would rather suffer the next day than have to be up at 4am to go play hockey before work.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah I would definitely not be making it to early morning games and also I like beer in my beer league.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Early mornings on Saturday or Sunday are nice though. You scrape your rear end out of bed, get a good sweat in, and got the whole day in front of you.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My games are usually late Tuesdays or anywhere from 5:40 to 9ish on Sundays. I don't mind it other than the fact that 9:40 games can suck since my commute is like 40 minutes to the rink.

I never liked early hockey that much. When I was a kid practices could be super early and I never liked that.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Early Saturday/Sunday games weren't my favorite. 8am on Saturday after working until 11 or later the night before sucked.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
"you don't like your 1055pm start at a rink 30 miles from everyone on your team, FINE - your next 2 games are at 340pm on Sunday and then 700pm Monday at that same rink." ... I'll take the late game 10 times out of 10 compared to the other 2 time slots.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Its surprising to me how many people on current/past teams have openly said they won't play sunday afternoons because they would rather watch other people play football on tv. They would much rather drive 40 minutes away to play at 11:10pm on a Tuesday and get home at 2am than play sunday afternoon and miss watching a football game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't get it either. We always get a game scheduled early evenings on superbowl sunday and the drama it causes is unreal.

I'll turn a game on because it's good background noise and sometimes something cool happens but I am not going to schedule my day around it.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

xzzy posted:

I don't get it either. We always get a game scheduled early evenings on superbowl sunday and the drama it causes is unreal.

I'll turn a game on because it's good background noise and sometimes something cool happens but I am not going to schedule my day around it.

I totally get it. If you have to drive (at all), it can kill an entire afternoon/evening for plans or makes "Sunday dinner" stupidly difficult. The girlfriend plays in a Sunday league with rinks an average of 35-45 minutes away and this easily kills 3-3.5 hours every single Sunday from late September until April. Some people don't want to give up that much time every weekend to realistically skate 18-30 minutes.

Meanwhile, we have a Monday 940pm skate and I don't care about getting into bed at 2am, because it's a work night and what were we going to do anyways?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The only downside I have right now with late games is a newborn. My daughter has decided she only wants to sleep between 6 and 10 am when I'm at work. I did feel bad for her last night because she decided to try and suck on my finger after my hockey game. Her reaction to glove hand was quite amusing, and this was after getting a shower.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I never liked early hockey that much. When I was a kid practices could be super early and I never liked that.

Me neither, growing up JV games started at 5:50a sometimes, and we’d have to change in the parking lot because the guy wouldn’t show up to the rink to open it until like 530 or later.

The 6am stick and puck can do ok out here. The noon Friday one fills up immediately.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Me neither, growing up JV games started at 5:50a sometimes, and we’d have to change in the parking lot because the guy wouldn’t show up to the rink to open it until like 530 or later.

The 6am stick and puck can do ok out here. The noon Friday one fills up immediately.

I remember feeling like a zombie in drills. I've never been a morning person and it was worse when I was a kid.

Most adult hockey around here is at night unless it's a tournament or something. Adult leagues are usually anywhere from 7-10ish. The only time that changes is on Sundays where adult games can be as early as 5:40.

I think part of the reason I've never been into Ball/Dek hockey (apart from it being a vastly inferior form of hockey to ice :colbert: ) is that those fuckers love to play super early because of the heat. So games/tournaments for that tend to be early as gently caress unless you're playing indoors.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ginette Reno posted:

My games are usually late Tuesdays or anywhere from 5:40 to 9ish on Sundays. I don't mind it other than the fact that 9:40 games can suck since my commute is like 40 minutes to the rink.

I was never a fan of early morning practices (tennis or badminton, in my case) as a youth. Getting to the gym at 5:30am blew hard, particularly when it curtailed an extra hour and a half of sleep. As an adult with kids, getting up at 5:30am means beating the children out of bed by only 30-60 minutes, and then being on the ice instead of mired in the morning routine. As long as the wife is on board (and she is) weekend 6am stick/pucks are my bread and butter.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

Its surprising to me how many people on current/past teams have openly said they won't play sunday afternoons because they would rather watch other people play football on tv. They would much rather drive 40 minutes away to play at 11:10pm on a Tuesday and get home at 2am than play sunday afternoon and miss watching a football game.

Re: not playing on Sunday afternoons, It's not always related to football but just the killing of the day in my opinion. It was easier in the single or no kids days but as a family man leaving the house at 230 and being back at earliest 530 kills a day and expedites the wife glare exponentially.

Played the 1055pm game last night against another higher seeded team game. We were holding our own 2-2 until one of our guys went into the boards, fell awkwardly and hurt his leg/ankle. Did not look good and our carpool ended up driving him & his car home. That killed us and lost 6-2.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Tank44 posted:

Re: not playing on Sunday afternoons, It's not always related to football but just the killing of the day

Playing hockey is the day.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

Now it starts making sense

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Only had 6 skaters last night and pretty close to the worst group of 6 you could put together from our roster. Lost 7-0 but we had an awesome sub goalie that kept the score pretty low until the last few minutes. Got outshot 44-5 I think.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I had a Happy Gilmore moment in Rat Hockey today. I slapped a one-timer so hard that I fell down, the puck laser-beamed about two feet wide of the net and slammed into the glass with a deafening whack. It didn't help my team in the slightest, but man it felt good.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I am playing my best season ever.

4 games in and I have 2 goals and 3 assists.

Unless you look at the stats where I have finally gotten 1 sole goal.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Sunday Mid-afternoon skates are the worst, I kind of feel like I spend the whole day milling around not doing much just waiting until I have to go to the rink and then afterwards by the time you're home its too late to anything or grab dinner / see a movie.

9pm ice any day of the week is the king of ice slots.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cut an inch and a half off my stick and after 2 data points/games, I feel like I can stick-handle better and my wrister is way heavier. Good poo poo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pleads posted:

Now it starts making sense

This is fantastic.

You should fly in your gear next time so you’re ready for our on time arrival into the rink.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Lost a pretty close and fun game last night where I felt I played pretty well but the few big mistakes we made ended up with it in the net (including me screwing up two clean 2-on-1s in a row, though really how do I get left out to dry that bad twice in a couple minutes?). I got one breakaway that really could have been a goal if I could shoot worth a drat.

But people need to chill out. One of our guys got a 5-minute major early on for crosschecking a dude to the ice after he got held without a call. Then later there was an extended scrum along the boards with five of us trying to dig the puck out and people started getting really angry about elbows and shoving.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Getting beat down by bronchitis and might have to miss our season opener Friday. Goddammit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Elbows and shoving are what makes board battles fun, why would anyone get mad about that.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

xzzy posted:

Elbows and shoving are what makes board battles fun, why would anyone get mad about that.

My other league is probably the least combative you can get so maybe I'm just not used to "having fun" shoving and yelling. Definitely thought a fight was about to break out, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well obviously it depends how violent it is. Some good natured shoving along the boards is super fun. If it gets to causing injury people need to chill out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

z0331 posted:

My other league is probably the least combative you can get so maybe I'm just not used to "having fun" shoving and yelling. Definitely thought a fight was about to break out, though.

Yeah me neither. Elbows ain’t for physical contact. Plenty of good ways to be physical along the boards

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

sellouts posted:

Yeah me neither. Elbows ain’t for physical contact. Plenty of good ways to be physical along the boards

Yeah, just put your leg between there's to pin them and dig from there with one hand on your stick (other hand pushing them into the board, constant push not a shove) and your skates. You don't even need to push or shove hard at that point because they can't move unless you let them.

Then just try and battle the puck to a team mate or yourself as you can get away easier than they can.

I like board battles, both pinned because if you win those you feel like a champ and the pinner because hey, you just checked a guy. They require less skill and more physical so me, as a low skill guy relative to others, can win those with a decent ratio. Compared to say open ice checking or something.

I've been playing for 3 years with 60+ season games in total. Not once have I been elbowed or cross-checked or shoved. That should doesn't need to happen.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 3, 2018

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

I’m apparently a bit of an ice hog, this app is eye opening.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Can you make your watch buzz when it's time to gtfo the ice?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleads posted:

Can you make your watch buzz when it's time to gtfo the ice?

Yep.

Easier solution is to be a fat slob so your lungs give out after 30 seconds and you're begging to get back on the bench.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

D C posted:

Nice Kovalev shift

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i ice skated for the first time since my surgery yesterday. it was also the first time i've ever been to a public skating session alone as an adult. ice skating is hard

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

D C posted:

If you skated 1mi in 40 minutes how is your average speed 6mph and not 1.5mph?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well for one, the app is inferring movement from an accelerometer so it's already got accuracy issues.

But the app does some magic watching your heart rate. When it finds a decline in HR, it assumes you're on the bench and stops tracking movement. Then when your HR starts to climb again it figures you're back on the ice and resumes crediting for movement.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Im also not sure how it figures out speeds since gps doesn’t exactly work well indoors.

In my defense I think it called the warmup a long shift, and we had a dman in the box and I did the double once.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It does everything by accelerometer, which is... ok at guesstimating I suppose. It seems pretty consistent at least. When we have 2 forward lines I'm around 1.1-1.2mi and if we have 3, it's like 0.8-0.9mi.

And yeah I always get warmups labeled as my longest shift.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The apple watch will estimate distance traveled with the acelerometer when gps is not available. When walking it just tracks your steps and is calibrated via gps when gps is available. For hockey strides it has to do some special magic.

Like I said, it's not super accurate. But neither is gps, and the accelerometer seems to be consistently inaccurate.. so you can't really show off your top speed to your bros, but you can compare differences from game to game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Max capable speed of 36.8mph 💪🏻