Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

drrockso20 posted:

One good trick is that once you've figured out what head height is for where you're shooting, is to keep the mouse lined up at that height, and adjust to left or right as needed by strafing rather than moving the mouse

Also, do not use the pan if you're trying to be stealthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also, do not use the pan if you're trying to be stealthy

Not to mention under normal circumstances the only time you should ever use your melee as a Sniper is against a Spy, and that's only if you don't have an SMG equipped

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Unless you have god like aim I would turn your sensitivity down for playing sniper. Just equip the darwins danger shield and forget about quickly spinning around for spies. Just practice for ages with your new sense it takes time to build up muscle memory. Don't change your sens or give up just because you are bad to start with.

You could even begin with a training map like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=606778917 just to get your eye in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I enjoy long tossing Jarate far too much.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hydro was my favorite map at release, rip hydro

*Thinks about Hydro and gets sad.*

I liked so many of the bad maps. Sawmill. Double Cross. Landfall.

All told, TF2 may have been the most I've ever enjoyed a game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I wish more maps had the awesome Alpine texture set.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Doublecross is alright imo

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Failson posted:

*Thinks about Hydro and gets sad.*

I liked so many of the bad maps. Sawmill. Double Cross. Landfall.

All told, TF2 may have been the most I've ever enjoyed a game.

You're still allowed to like them.

Most maps can be fun to play, with the right company at the right time. Except Egypt.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqrkTxh4BlA

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

ArfJason posted:

Doublecross is alright imo

love doublecross but only if i immediately go engy and plop down a level 1 sentry over the intel to stop the scout caps 12 seconds into the round

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also, do not use the pan

drrockso20 posted:

One good trick is that once you've figured out what head height is for where you're shooting, is to keep the mouse lined up at that height, and adjust to left or right as needed by strafing rather than moving the mouse

Okay I'll try that. Thanks.

Jippa posted:

Unless you have god like aim I would turn your sensitivity down for playing sniper. Just equip the darwins danger shield and forget about quickly spinning around for spies. Just practice for ages with your new sense it takes time to build up muscle memory. Don't change your sens or give up just because you are bad to start with.

You could even begin with a training map like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=606778917 just to get your eye in.

Why Darwin's Danger Shield? I haven't had much trouble with Pyros as a sniper.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Ariong posted:

Why Darwin's Danger Shield? I haven't had much trouble with Pyros as a sniper.

As a pyro, I hate DD snipers. They have about 1-2 more seconds to get off a lucky crit melee.

As a pyro, I also hate demoknights.

Though, as a pyro, I mostly just hate myself.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I had an idea for a game type for awhile and i was wondering if it was inspired or just god awful, no, why would anyone play that.

I call it Push of War (a play on tug of war). Basically, its like payload only instead the payload starts in the middle and each team wants to push it to the other teams side.

instead of blocking the cart. Opposite pushers slow down a cart. IE if 2 people on blu are pushing and a red touches the cart it slows to as if 1 person on blu is pushing.

when overtime comes around, the cart starts rolling towards whoever side its on. It does this progressively faster as overtime goes on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You mean like pl_waste?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Jabor posted:

You mean like pl_waste?

I never play waste. Was it good?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I would like to see a payload loop where instead of having a finish, the attacking team gets points for each time the cart goes past a checkpoint. The payload would never stop, continuing to move at a minimal speed even with no one pushing (and of course going faster when pushed). You could always go around to attack the other team from behind.

Payload is reasonably fun to me except when defense is winning. The last point almost always ends up being pure misery, so this is my dimly imagined idea of a fun payload.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Hihohe posted:

I never play waste. Was it good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TecwHduBFZg

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

King Lazer posted:

I would like to see a payload loop where instead of having a finish, the attacking team gets points for each time the cart goes past a checkpoint. The payload would never stop, continuing to move at a minimal speed even with no one pushing (and of course going faster when pushed). You could always go around to attack the other team from behind.

Payload is reasonably fun to me except when defense is winning. The last point almost always ends up being pure misery, so this is my dimly imagined idea of a fun payload.

That’s a novel idea, but you can’t really have a TF2 map without a clearly defined victory state. Maybe one where you have to push it around the circular track three times to win?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Ariong posted:

That�s a novel idea, but you can�t really have a TF2 map without a clearly defined victory state. Maybe one where you have to push it around the circular track three times to win?

I should have said there would be a time limit. Whichever team pushes past the most checkpoints, wins.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Or first to 3 scores would be good.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

King Lazer posted:

I should have said there would be a time limit. Whichever team pushes past the most checkpoints, wins.

Oh, so it�s a Payload Race map? Are the two tracks directly adjacent to one another? Do the carts move in the same direction, or does one move clockwise and the other counterclockwise?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Ariong posted:

Oh, so it�s a Payload Race map? Are the two tracks directly adjacent to one another? Do the carts move in the same direction, or does one move clockwise and the other counterclockwise?

I was envisioning one track and, like normal payload, teams trade every other round. I guess the game does a bad job of declaring a winner in this situation, but in my imagination land they've fixed that problem.

I guess since I said there would be a minimum cart-speed, that could work as a time limit and like has been suggested, round ends after X number of caps.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Payload race maps are always ridiculous carnage.

And I like Doublecross. It's like 2fort, but good.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Payload race maps are always ridiculous carnage.

And I like Doublecross. It's like 2fort, but good.

I just hate that those little sheds in the middle of the map cant be jumped over
really screws up my demo bombs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hihohe posted:

I just hate that those little sheds in the middle of the map cant be jumped over
really screws up my demo bombs

I think that's the point, otherwise they'd be a totally open line of fire for snipers too.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I like doublecross but the sniper sightlines are atrocious. Sometimes you can't walk out into the main bridge at all.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

khwarezm posted:

I like doublecross but the sniper sightlines are atrocious. Sometimes you can't walk out into the main bridge at all.

That is why the bottom level is so much fun. Go down there as Demo, sticky jump up to the sniper hut and then rain the pipes down on them!

Doublecross has a ton of options to both attack and defend and having a way to get to the intel that does not pass spawn is why it and Turbine are probably the best CTF maps.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I still want to see a 5cp version of doublecross. Plop the point from harvest into the middle of the bridge, make the flag room point 2/4 and add another point, maybe downhill and behind the fence on either side of the bridge that you get to from the yard between spawn and the flag.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

King Lazer posted:

pl_snaketemple

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

pl_snaketemple

quote:

The game type of snake temple features 2 carts on the same track. The goal is for each to catch the cart of the other team by pushing their cart faster. To help you, your cart has a special uber speed gauge you can trigger by blocking the hostile cart.

That sounds really interesting.

From that little blurb it sounds kinda like it favors defense (which is the opposite of what I want), though? Granted I haven't played on the map, so maybe that's not actually the case.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Video Graves posted:

That is why the bottom level is so much fun. Go down there as Demo, sticky jump up to the sniper hut and then rain the pipes down on them!

Doublecross has a ton of options to both attack and defend and having a way to get to the intel that does not pass spawn is why it and Turbine are probably the best CTF maps.

Trouble is half the time the lower level feels less like a cheeky way to grab the enemy with their pants down and more like the only viable route if you don't want to get headshot immediately. I like Doublecross overall but I think it doesn't really fix the main problems that all of the other CTF maps also suffer from in the way that a proper defense is way, way too hard to crack if teams are equal due to things like making sniper sightlines too dangerous, forcing the teams to go by or near the enemy spawn to get the intel and having areas (especially the intel rooms) where 1 or 2 sentries can lock down the place extremely effectively.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Happy Birthday TF2

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
5cp steel would let people cap 4 if they have 2, but 4 is right outside the enemy's spawn.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
If enjoy lazy and purple things, they recently posted over 18 gb of their bulk map files for easy downloading.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I guess we got an update or something

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

quote:

Scream Fortress X has arrived!
Featuring 5 new community maps: Cauldron, Gravestone, Monster Bash, Slasher, and Cursed Cove
Added the Violet Vermin Case
Contains 20 new community-created cosmetic items that make-up the Violet Vermin Collection
Has a chance to give one of 4 community-created Halloween-restricted items as a bonus item
Has a chance to give a taunt Unusualifier as a bonus item
Added the Scream Fortress X War Paint Case
Contains 10 new community-created War Paints that make-up the Scream Fortress X War Paint Collection
Has a chance to give a taunt Unusualifier as a bonus item
Added two new official taunts to the Mann Co. Store
Taunt: Panzer Pants
Taunt: The Scooty Scoot
Added 17 new community-created Unusual effects
11 new effects for Unusual hats
6 new effects for Unusual taunts
Added 5 new Contracts for the featured maps
Completing a Halloween Contract will give players a classic Halloween item and the chance for a Violet Vermin Case or a Scream Fortress X War Paint Case
All players who launch the game will receive a Soul Gargoyle if they don't already have one
Grants access to Merasmissions and Halloween item transmutations
Tracks Merasmissions completed and souls collected
All Halloween Contracts have been reset, allowing them to be completed again
Continue last year's event by collecting the souls of dead players for your Soul Gargoyle by killing enemies, doing map objectives, or collecting the Soul Gargoyles that spawn in the maps
All cases will grant Halloween 2018 Unusual effects instead of their normal Unusual effects during the event
Join Halloween matches by using the Special Events category in Casual
Scream Fortress X runs through November 14th, 2018

General
Fixed stickybombs doing damage through walls and doors in some situations
Fixed a problem with client-side prediction on Halloween maps that use the bumper car mini-game
Added Tip of the Hats 2018 community medals
Added ozfortress Season 23 tournament medals
Added TFNew 6v6 Newbie Cup tournament medals
Added RGB 3 LAN tournament medals
Added United Dodgeball League Season 1 tournament medals
Updated the localization files

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
TIME FOR ME TO BUY KEYS AGAIN

VideoGames