Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1049278528599089153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
pretend it's not the joke nobel for a sec i guess

ButtHate
Sep 26, 2007
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHH
https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Center_for_Union_Facts
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHH

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ButtHate posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHH
https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Center_for_Union_Facts
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHH

I like that the number of facts they don't want you to know increases over time

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

succ posted:

oof, delisted and disabled comments and likes

for anyone that didn't know:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1032019183935078400?lang=en

Lmbo talk about out of touch... and the fact they released it so recently too... good god

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raldikuk posted:

Lmbo talk about out of touch... and the fact they released it so recently too... good god

gotta seed the astroturf early

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

unfettered free market spam calls nearly stopped me getting my econ nobel :ironicat:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I get like 3-5 robocalled scam calls a day easy and while my phone does say "Scam Likely" now which is cool it still basically means I never answer my phone ever. Nor do I check voicemails.

Also now I get text spams too which is p cool.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
We get like 5 or more medicare scam calls a day.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
also gently caress that economist, along with 99% of them

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm job hunting right now so robocalls get my hopes up just to dash them to the ground

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

If y'all have AT&T get AT&T Call Protect, it will outright block a bunch of known telemarketer numbers and flag a bunch of other ones. Doesn't get all of them, but it does let you maintain a custom block list of ones that get through (since in my experience they retry with the same caller ID number multiple times). It's also interesting for keeping a log of the telemarketing calls, I've noticed they seem to have a pattern of calling 2 to 8 times in rapid succession (like, milliseconds apart) if they hit the blocklist, I wonder why that is...

I think other providers have similar apps / blocking services too so do a lil' research. It hasn't gotten rid of spam calls (the ones from random numbers with the same area code and first three digits still get through since those are randomized caller ID's) but it cut out quite a few.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

or just root your phone so you can do that without paying for the privilege

capitalism.txt: legislative protection falling apart? luckily, there is a service for a low low monthly fee that'll work until we need you to upgrade to the Silver Protection Plan

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peanut Butler posted:

or just root your phone so you can do that without paying for the privilege

capitalism.txt: legislative protection falling apart? luckily, there is a service for a low low monthly fee that'll work until we need you to upgrade to the Silver Protection Plan

It's free and doesn't require you to trust totally legit and definitely honest random xda-forums dot com posters and fundamentally compromise and permanently cripple your phone's core security features.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of phones uh lol

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I'm loving PISSED

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

speaking of phones uh lol

The best worst part about that thing is BigClive took one apart and it's got a rechargeable battery in it, because they're really the cheapest kind of battery in that form factor these days.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

video game "special" editions are cheating imo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

they went wh40k already huh

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Shame Boy posted:

It's free and doesn't require you to trust totally legit and definitely honest random xda-forums dot com posters and fundamentally compromise and permanently cripple your phone's core security features.

uh a thing came out some time ago where electronics that were manufactured in china (90%) often have a small extra chip installed next to the CPU that is not part of the specifications. This chip looks like a regular surface mount resistor or coupler but is actually a full blown chip with its own code and all that, it's no basic electrical component. Some versions are embedded between the layers of the circuit board and can only be detected with specialized equipment.

Amazon, Apple, and like 30 other US companies ended up with this chip unknowingly installed in the servers that run Alexa and Siri and a bunch of other stuff. It's not fully known the extent.

This allows China's military access to all devices with the chip, because the chip is essentially a gatekeeper at the extreme lowest level and has control over what CPU instructions are run and how. This allows operating system and firmware control so that actual sophisticated instructions can be deployed to the target hardware.

basically if you give a poo poo about security you might as well just go Kaczynski and say gently caress it to society. The capitalist octopus with tentacles over the earth is wrong, it's a constant turbofuck from all directions and nobody knows nothin no more

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Shame Boy posted:

The best worst part about that thing is BigClive took one apart and it's got a rechargeable battery in it, because they're really the cheapest kind of battery in that form factor these days.

this is disgusting

are they nickel metal halide or actual lithium or what? guess I should google big clive

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
also lol google is a loving verb for searching for something online, that's capitalist as gently caress

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Eh, that story is most likely pure propaganda. Their description of the chip and how it works seems pretty unlikely (or the journalist simply didn't understand things) and there's no evidence to back the story up. In addition, Apple and Amazon have explicitly denied the report.

And on Friday, the DoD released a new report about how chip manufacturing in the US is in danger of going extinct, lol

Lambert has issued a correction as of 08:25 on Oct 9, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
fake edit: I had a post lined up but it's dumb now that i looked at the preview. I feel like it may actually be possible to create a component that does some of that stuff, if you have extreme mastery of electrical engineering, or at least a very comprehensive idea of the final product and a clear understanding of what you can get away with. I'll admit I glossed over what exactly it's supposed to be attached to and all that poo poo, and actually that info was prob not in the article -- I was like "what the gently caress" and then became increasingly credulous as I read. I mean it seems kind of plausible that if you have a chip and a CPU or whatever, and you have firmware control, you can make interruptions and have it do what you want, but it IS kind of a circular logic at play here. I don't know enough to say either way and if I did I'd be in some upper echelon poo poo.

I was also gonna put in a dumb joke about US chips and poo poo, but that's one of the things like medicine where each country really needs to be able to have at least a basic level of ability in production, or else will get doomed if the floor falls out from the agreement that gets you that stuff. Like ok I made a fuckin CPU out of wire wrap and some transistors, welcome to 50 years ago.

I still don't understand what the gently caress kind of propaganda purpose that's supposed to achieve, if none of that happened and its a lie. Like "whoa don't trust the spooky Chinese electrons" or what? Or are the few remaining US manufacturers trying to hijack the market with this?

Seriously if you can't expect anything to be an actual truthful report then all media has to be treated as potential lies, and there's no more solid ground to build a foundation that can support a sane policy, and civil life has eroded out to dust.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I still don't understand what the gently caress kind of propaganda purpose that's supposed to achieve, if none of that happened and its a lie. Like "whoa don't trust the spooky Chinese electrons" or what? Or are the few remaining US manufacturers trying to hijack the market with this?

Trump passed Executive Order 13806, which is pretty much that - don't trust the spooky Chinese electrons. The DoD report on that came out on Friday, and this article a bit before that. Really not hard to see this as an organized campaign.

Seriously if you can't expect anything to be an actual truthful report then all media has to be treated as potential lies, and there's no more solid ground to build a foundation that can support a sane policy, and civil life has eroded out to dust.

You can't trust the media to actually report truthfully. That's why all these "real news" sites and YT channels with even more shoddy reporting are so popular. And the media simply repeating what some Pentagon guy told them is nothing new either.

Lambert has issued a correction as of 08:34 on Oct 9, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I should add, I don't think attempts at doing this kind of thing are unthinkable or even uncommon (just think of the program where the government was intercepting networking gear shipments to reflash the firmware). Just that I think that specific Bloomberg article is mostly bullshit.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
e: irt "real news"
is that not an insanely hosed up idea that means democracy fundamentally cannot work? If a citizen can't get truthful information then how can they vote? Although I feel like this is not strictly capitalist in nature and is just fascist so maybe the corporate plot kicked in a little late cause they waited for guys like butler to be thoroughly dead.

e2: man if we need people like that to form some eternal vanguard of democracy maybe the whole thing really is just hosed

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

fake edit: I had a post lined up but it's dumb now that i looked at the preview. I feel like it may actually be possible to create a component that does some of that stuff, if you have extreme mastery of electrical engineering, or at least a very comprehensive idea of the final product and a clear understanding of what you can get away with. I'll admit I glossed over what exactly it's supposed to be attached to and all that poo poo, and actually that info was prob not in the article -- I was like "what the gently caress" and then became increasingly credulous as I read. I mean it seems kind of plausible that if you have a chip and a CPU or whatever, and you have firmware control, you can make interruptions and have it do what you want, but it IS kind of a circular logic at play here. I don't know enough to say either way and if I did I'd be in some upper echelon poo poo.

I was also gonna put in a dumb joke about US chips and poo poo, but that's one of the things like medicine where each country really needs to be able to have at least a basic level of ability in production, or else will get doomed if the floor falls out from the agreement that gets you that stuff. Like ok I made a fuckin CPU out of wire wrap and some transistors, welcome to 50 years ago.

Intel CPUs, of course, have a barely-documented control mode that lives as a separate system within the CPU, can access absolutely everything read-write, and which they will only disable for US government customers. It's just a garden-variety "accuse everyone else of doing what you're doing".

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
literally this is why I post from a 4004, they hadn't thought of any of this in those days

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like buying huge-rear end collectors' editions of games when they're 30€ cheaper than the regular edition because the huge-rear end boxes take up hell of space :mmmhmm:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I don't like buying crap that just sits on a shelf or in a drawer

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't like buying anything

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Adding a few pictures and pot plants and things really completes a room and helps with the crushing misery of living in a single plain white-walled room.

The key though is making it looked lived in and homely, rather than a cluttered monument to plastic dogshit.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shame Boy posted:

It's probably more environmentally friendly to just throw out these batteries rather than recharge them, similar to how it is more environmentally friendly to throw out plastic bags than to recycle them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

qkkl posted:

It's probably more environmentally friendly to just throw out these batteries rather than recharge them, similar to how it is more environmentally friendly to throw out plastic bags than to recycle them.

:psyduck:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

starkebn posted:

I don't like buying crap that just sits on a shelf or in a drawer

Yeah, having a bunch of video game stuff as decorations is really lame for an adult, but a lot of people consider their consumerism as an extension of their personality and art.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well sorry I'm not rich like you so I could buy the more expensive edition that doesn't come with all the garbage.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just smear some stuff on a canvas, hang it on a wall, and call it art, Jerry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

its really not a very clean system to reprocess plastics but of course the ideal is to just either not wrap everything ever in plastic or at least make the bags useful durable ones people won't throw away or tear open immediately