Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Percelus posted:

how is wildstar still running

Wildstar go bye-bye.

https://massivelyop.com/2018/09/06/wildstar-and-carbine-are-shutting-down/

gently caress NCsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
how many youtubes are there so far of people throwing the box and chinese trinkets into a fire?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I'm calling it right here, right now. This tire fire will be gone in one year from now.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Not to really defend NCsoft here, but wildstar has been a dumpster fire since the beginning and should've been poo poo canned years ago.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Azubah posted:

Not to really defend NCsoft here, but wildstar has been a dumpster fire since the beginning and should've been poo poo canned years ago.

Yeah, I've heard that Wildstar was a train wreck, mostly because they tried to "double dip". (It's free, but you need to 'subscribe' to make it less of a grind, and also there's a cash store.)

Still, no one deserves to have the carpet yanked out from under them like that. gently caress NCsoft.

rawr im a tree
Jul 4, 2008

Gynovore posted:

gently caress Carbine for making a lovely game while attacking their own player base.

Fixed that for you, bud.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

You do realise CoH got killed because Paragon took the money they were given to make CoH2 and spent it on some random other game without telling ncsoft right.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Byolante posted:

You do realise CoH got killed because Paragon took the money they were given to make CoH2 and spent it on some random other game without telling ncsoft right.

Uhhhhh no. It's a long, sordid story, but the thrust of it is that CoH was shut down because NCsoft are loving dicks.

It's 1:45 AM, I'll go into more detail tomorrow, unless any of the other ex-CoH players would like to chime in.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Gynovore posted:

Yeah, I've heard that Wildstar was a train wreck, mostly because they tried to "double dip". (It's free, but you need to 'subscribe' to make it less of a grind, and also there's a cash store.)

Still, no one deserves to have the carpet yanked out from under them like that. gently caress NCsoft.

I think anyone thats followed Wildstar's development is going to think NCSoft has the patients of an MMO publishing saint for funding that particular dumpster fire for so long. Wildstar failed pretty much entirely because of Carbine's mismanagement and NCSoft really has nothing to do with the game's failure other than allowing it to go on for way too long.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Gynovore posted:

Still, no one deserves to have the carpet yanked out from under them like that.

What do you mean? It hasn't been making any money ever since it was released, it's been years.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Gynovore posted:

Bad dead games definitely deserve to have the carpet yanked out from under them. Wildstar got more patience from NCSoft than it ever deserved

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Free users basically followed the pre F2P leveling path, going from zone to zone do quests level up. Subbed players basically got to wander through zones cherry picking a few quests from each hub before they moved onto the next one, the net difference was a F2P player took about the standard MMO leveling up period to level up, where with paid you could be max level in a few days (Real life days not hours played). They had one of the better F2P models around tbh, the problem is the rest of the game just wasn't there.

They went from the initial problem of all of the content being overtuned and impossible and nothing for the casuals to do, to the later end of the cycle where I could drag even the biggest mouthbreathers in the world through the raid due to gear creep... In my 20 man raid I had precisely 6 competent players. Once everyone geared up from the last raid then they had nothing to do again (Because there was no casual poo poo to tide them over and the dev team was uhhhh eviscerated by that point).

Most goons griping about this game gripe about the paid launch, but ignore the fact that most of the things they bitched about got fixed. Then Carbine made all new mistakes. By the time I quit people were pugging the super hardcore raids.

Literally every step they took was What_Not_to_do_with_a_MMO.pdf

EDIT: I will say that the reason I get mad about wildstar and don't give the slightest gently caress about SoA, is you can see where a lot of love and effort was poured into wildstar, meanwhile SOA was a two gens ago unity asset flip cash grab. Nobody gave a poo poo about this project.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 1, 2018

rawr im a tree
Jul 4, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Uhhhhh no. It's a long, sordid story, but the thrust of it is that CoH was shut down because NCsoft are loving dicks.

It's 1:45 AM, I'll go into more detail tomorrow, unless any of the other ex-CoH players would like to chime in.

are you even for real at this point lmao

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
People still claim NCSoft shot Garriott into space so they could forge his signature on his resignation letter. There are quite a few absurd myths about NCSoft being evil when the reality is its just another greedy and frequently incompetent corporation.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I still have no idea how NCSoft was expecting to get away with that forged letter. Were they just not expecting him to come back to Earth?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NCSoft is fukken trash my dudes, Wildstar could also be a bad game at the same time, but you don't have to play soft defense for the absolutely miserable company above them.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CoffeeBooze posted:

People still claim NCSoft shot Garriott into space so they could forge his signature on his resignation letter. There are quite a few absurd myths about NCSoft being evil when the reality is its just another greedy and frequently incompetent corporation.

Also that around the time CoH got shuttered they were in a life or death battle for a hostile takeover by nexon. Wasting money on games where the devs were spending your money on games for somebody else is kinda a high priority to gently caress off in that case.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

clone on the phone posted:

I'm calling it right here, right now. This tire fire will be gone in one year from now.

I honestly don't know how it's still operational right now.

Maybe the overhead is simply that low because everyone is working other jobs for actual income and they only pop into Richard Garriot's garden shed to code for a couple days a month.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Yardbomb posted:

NCSoft is fukken trash my dudes, Wildstar could also be a bad game at the same time, but you don't have to play soft defense for the absolutely miserable company above them.

How do you take people saying "lovely Company gave monumentally lovely game too much rope even by non-lovely Company standards" as a defense of NCSoft? It's an indictment of both

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://twitter.com/taxalot/status/1047529934070198273

check that reply

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm playing as Lard Brexit with some friends if anyone else is still playing

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 5, 2018

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Blast of Confetti posted:

I'm playing as Lard Brexit with some friends if anyone else is still playing

OK, honest opinion time. What's good about it? Sell me!

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's a free trial and my friends and i can get shitfaced and play a bad game until everyone burns out a week in

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gynovore posted:

lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

there's a free trial and my friends and i can get shitfaced and play a bad game until everyone burns out a week in

I would be surprised if you make it a couple hours.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I’m tempted to get drunk and try this on my next day off just to be able to say I was there. I bet it’s not a big download, and I can probably annoy some RP whales for a couple hours until I pass out.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

clone on the phone posted:

I bet it’s not a big download,

It's just a measly 22 gb! 21 of those are flipped unity assets.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 8, 2018

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
trip update: we all decided to play modded Borderlands 2 instead

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I got my box of shame in the mail. I don't remember what was supposed to be in it exactly and can't be bothered checking.

Looks okay for a boxed game from the 1990s including cloth map and metal trinket. Disc copy of the game in there. Don't own an optical drive anymore.

Probably a message in there somewhere.

Anyway it's on my bookshelf to collect dust forever more. Within eye distance of my Duke Nukem bust from the DNF collector box. Seemed appropriate.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I bought this game because I thought it might be funny, it isn't

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

DancingShade posted:

I got my box of shame in the mail. I don't remember what was supposed to be in it exactly and can't be bothered checking.

Looks okay for a boxed game from the 1990s including cloth map and metal trinket. Disc copy of the game in there. Don't own an optical drive anymore.

Probably a message in there somewhere.

Anyway it's on my bookshelf to collect dust forever more. Within eye distance of my Duke Nukem bust from the DNF collector box. Seemed appropriate.

Trying extremely hard to course correct your old statements about how good and not a scam this game is, huh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish the single player mode at least had cheat codes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I said come in! posted:

I wish the single player mode at least had cheat codes.

I've made it to a walled in area surrounded by 2D flames that I can't walk through
What even is this poo poo?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I've made it to a walled in area surrounded by 2D flames that I can't walk through
What even is this poo poo?

Flames are hot and will burn you...duh it’s for your safety.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I bought this game because I thought it might be funny, it isn't

How's the fidelity? are immersion ladders in?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cool Buff Man posted:

Trying extremely hard to course correct your old statements about how good and not a scam this game is, huh

If anything I hope people reading this thread from start to finish don't reach this far in and suffer horrible buyers remorse.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

all the posts about Lum the Mad and how he's been sucking Garriott's dick have been removed afaik, so no real point in reading this imo

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Capntastic posted:

I know people that were on Shroud’s art team and oh wow were they excited and proud to uproot their families and move to to work with game dev legend Richard Garriot on his return to glory

Did they get an STD from garriott. Whose sister/mom did he gently caress, whose dad did he cuck

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Solarin posted:

How's the fidelity? are immersion ladders in?

It's really bad, I fell off a rock and died and felt relief.
So far it seems to be a game about getting crap off corpses and being on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

DancingShade posted:

If anything I hope people reading this thread from start to finish don't reach this far in and suffer horrible buyers remorse.

Well that's honorable. I respect it