Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They should have been red balls with green spikes like in WD circa 1994. :colbert:.

Green balls, red spikes.

Also lol @ ork whining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ijyt posted:

Also lol @ ork whining.

As a person with Orks, I can confirm that most Ork players are either children or incredibly chill dudes who just love making cool custom things.

Chill the gently caress out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ijyt posted:

Green balls, red spikes.

Revisionism. I'll fight you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord_Hambrose posted:

As a person with Orks, I can confirm that most Ork players are either children or incredibly chill dudes who just love making cool custom things.

Chill the gently caress out.

I don't think that's limited to Ork players.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, that is fair.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Revisionism. I'll fight you.

How’s that Alzheimer’s buddy :shobon:

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Groetgaffel posted:

It's still just the first third of the month. Chill.

What would you know of waiting, Imperial player? When have you fought against the delay of your Codex? When have you had to do anything more than tally factions and preorder your models? The people of your Facebook group named it soup. The people of mine called it come the apocalypse. Which one of us landed on a wealth of models to be played how you like? Which one of us was given multiple armies to lead after starting off with cheap starter sets each edition? Which one of us inherited strong and varied netlists? And which one of us had to rise up against 7th Ed with nothing but a horde of S3 boys? Which one of us was a collector of expensive models, with kitbashes cut up by carving knives? Listen to your IMPERIUM wretches yelling of patience and chill, patience and chill, patience and chill. Do you even know the meaning of those words? Patience is fighting in 8th Ed, no matter that their armies have more stratagems than yours by ten-thousand to one. You know nothing of patience. Chill is resisting a community team when all others suckle and grow fat on the hypocrisy they feed them. You know nothing of chill.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It would be a pretty solid microcosm of the Orksperience if they spend October forgetting about Orks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ijyt posted:

How’s that Alzheimer’s buddy :shobon:

That's a bad clone brush job. Literally everything in that picture is green.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Milotic posted:

What would you know of waiting, Imperial player? When have you fought against the delay of your Codex? When have you had to do anything more than tally factions and preorder your models? The people of your Facebook group named it soup. The people of mine called it come the apocalypse. Which one of us landed on a wealth of models to be played how you like? Which one of us was given multiple armies to lead after starting off with cheap starter sets each edition? Which one of us inherited strong and varied netlists? And which one of us had to rise up against 7th Ed with nothing but a horde of S3 boys? Which one of us was a collector of expensive models, with kitbashes cut up by carving knives? Listen to your IMPERIUM wretches yelling of patience and chill, patience and chill, patience and chill. Do you even know the meaning of those words? Patience is fighting in 8th Ed, no matter that their armies have more stratagems than yours by ten-thousand to one. You know nothing of patience. Chill is resisting a community team when all others suckle and grow fat on the hypocrisy they feed them. You know nothing of chill.

:golfclap:

As far as the deathworld plants go, I had the same reaction to their look but I like them in-person. I got a free set and aside from the weird hard resin (presumably non-GW mold press) they look fine in person. I also grew up with mangrove swamps nearby so the look of them is very nostalgic (Florida is a deathworld).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Milotic posted:

:yikes:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

:golfclap:

As far as the deathworld plants go, I had the same reaction to their look but I like them in-person. I got a free set and aside from the weird hard resin (presumably non-GW mold press) they look fine in person. I also grew up with mangrove swamps nearby so the look of them is very nostalgic (Florida is a deathworld).

I'm glad I managed to find the only person who actually wanted the alien plant side of that Deathwatch Kill Team pack. :respek:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Milotic posted:

I play Sisters of Battle.

Here's my army. I stripped it because I first painted it in ~2005, and my paint job was pretty poor. I'm cleaning them up and getting them primed. All told there are about 500 Sisters and new vehicles here.

What do I know of waiting? Let's talk about the Sisters...

Cessna fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 9, 2018

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Milotic posted:

Citizen, this is a corpse starch distribution center!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Milotic posted:

:five:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Got the hookup on a trade for a third assassin to complete the detachment this weekend. $15 worth of Shapeways DW storm bolters and a dollar for a Culexus assassin. GW employee discount is 50%, had no idea.

Does anyone run assassins at all? I'm making a 2000pt DW list right now that is bad, but interesting.

Watch Master and a jump captain, Beacon Angelis and undecided on Warlord trait

3x Kill Teams, one set up to drop in and melt everything short-range, another set up for a deep striking storm bolter barrage, and another with shotguns and a melta.

2x Corvus Blackstars to deliver the troops into the enemy's face or to important capture points

Venerable Dreadnought with lascannon

Chaplain Ven Dread with inferno cannon

1x Culexus
1x Vindicare
1x Eversor

134 points remaining. Unsure on what to field. Maybe Reivers with bolters to run around causing havoc, I dunno. Maybe another squad of Vets. Open to suggestion.

27 models in this list, so nothing could possibly go wrong

I've toyed with assassins in my tournament Knight/Guard list. The idea was to have something relatively cheap that I could deep strike behind enemy lines to gently caress up REMFs like Devastators, Mortars, and Dark Reapers or alternatively to sneak in, kill a lone infantry squad on an objective or something. Results were....mixed.

Vindicares are too expensive for what you get. 1-3 more or less reliable wounds per turn to a single model sounds nice, until your target ducks out of sight or you get tied up in melee or you roll a '1' and you're already low or out of CP. I never found Vindys reliable enough, especially as the most expensive Assassin.

Culexius are hurt badly by the change in the character targeting rules that allow you to ignore other characters when determining who's the closest target to a character you want to shoot. This eliminates the Culexius Screen. Without it, Culexius just don't do enough damage unless you're running into Thousand Sons or Craftworld Eldar. The "Only ever hit on 6s" thing is great, particularly to tie up an important shooty enemy unit in melee forever, but it's still kind of an edge case.

Callidus have a pretty good gently caress with your opponent's CP power, and the ability to reliably throw out Mortal Wounds makes them really good finishers....I assassinated a Knight Gallant and a Daemon Prince with her when she was able to brain fry a high wound target who'd been knocked down to 1-2 wounds. The 'ignore invulnerable saves' sword also let her gently caress up some Eldar psykers which was pleasing as hell. However, too often I had a hard time finding good targets for her because she's got a narrow range of what she can handle. She's crap against high toughness enemies, brain fry aside, and doesn't have enough attacks to take on a whole squad of infantry on her own. Against the right targets she's great, but in the absence of those, you're just paying for the CP fuckery and one mediocre suicide assault.

Eversors have become my favorite assassins. Note the plural. Because while one Eversor is a decent distraction, two or best of all three is pretty devastating, especially against non-dedicated assault troops. I had the most success with my Eversors, who were able to to mow through Dark Reapers, Hive Guard, a Chaos Lord (and Nurglings), Noise Marines, and even (two of them together on a single charge) a Knight Helverin.

In short, I wouldn't bother with a Vindicare ever, wouldn't bother with a Culexius unless you're building an anti-Pskyer list, and would go with three Eversors as a massed close combat unit that gets into the enemy's castle and eats all the tasty shooty units in back. Maybe two Eversors and a Callidus if you want the CP fuckery, but I really think three Eversors is the way to go.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I got a Talons of the Emperor box in a trade. I then picked up Trajan Valores, another box of Custodes and the Allarus Custodes.

Is it possible to play an all-Custodes army? Without being "that guy"?

I'm guessing I'll need jetbikes, but don't want a spam-jetbike army. Any other suggestions on how to play Custodes without being awful about it?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Custodes armies are fine, you don't need to stress so much. Jetbike spam is a little rough but it's hardly unbeatable.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Custodes armies are fine, you don't need to stress so much. Jetbike spam is a little rough but it's hardly unbeatable.

Exactly this. The 100 person event I was at this last weekend didnt have a custode player in the top 50

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I've toyed with assassins in my tournament Knight/Guard list. The idea was to have something relatively cheap that I could deep strike behind enemy lines to gently caress up REMFs like Devastators, Mortars, and Dark Reapers or alternatively to sneak in, kill a lone infantry squad on an objective or something. Results were....mixed.

Vindicares are too expensive for what you get. 1-3 more or less reliable wounds per turn to a single model sounds nice, until your target ducks out of sight or you get tied up in melee or you roll a '1' and you're already low or out of CP. I never found Vindys reliable enough, especially as the most expensive Assassin.

Culexius are hurt badly by the change in the character targeting rules that allow you to ignore other characters when determining who's the closest target to a character you want to shoot. This eliminates the Culexius Screen. Without it, Culexius just don't do enough damage unless you're running into Thousand Sons or Craftworld Eldar. The "Only ever hit on 6s" thing is great, particularly to tie up an important shooty enemy unit in melee forever, but it's still kind of an edge case.

Callidus have a pretty good gently caress with your opponent's CP power, and the ability to reliably throw out Mortal Wounds makes them really good finishers....I assassinated a Knight Gallant and a Daemon Prince with her when she was able to brain fry a high wound target who'd been knocked down to 1-2 wounds. The 'ignore invulnerable saves' sword also let her gently caress up some Eldar psykers which was pleasing as hell. However, too often I had a hard time finding good targets for her because she's got a narrow range of what she can handle. She's crap against high toughness enemies, brain fry aside, and doesn't have enough attacks to take on a whole squad of infantry on her own. Against the right targets she's great, but in the absence of those, you're just paying for the CP fuckery and one mediocre suicide assault.

Eversors have become my favorite assassins. Note the plural. Because while one Eversor is a decent distraction, two or best of all three is pretty devastating, especially against non-dedicated assault troops. I had the most success with my Eversors, who were able to to mow through Dark Reapers, Hive Guard, a Chaos Lord (and Nurglings), Noise Marines, and even (two of them together on a single charge) a Knight Helverin.

In short, I wouldn't bother with a Vindicare ever, wouldn't bother with a Culexius unless you're building an anti-Pskyer list, and would go with three Eversors as a massed close combat unit that gets into the enemy's castle and eats all the tasty shooty units in back. Maybe two Eversors and a Callidus if you want the CP fuckery, but I really think three Eversors is the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback.

I figure the Vindicare will get play when I make 2k points lists for my Imperial Fists and I want someone to keep their HQs on their toes and not charging right at me. I like the idea of a second Eversor, gently caress up my opponents long-range firepower.

Culexus is there just to piss off this one dude who plays a bunch of synapse Nids. And the other guy who plays Eldar.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Corrode posted:

I'm thinking - and no, I haven't pointed it out yet - of doing regular Custodes with maybe six total (2 groups of 3) jetbikes. Add in some Contemptors and start painting everything gold.

I have no idea if this will be good or not, no one in my group plays Custodes.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Cessna posted:

I got a Talons of the Emperor box in a trade. I then picked up Trajan Valores, another box of Custodes and the Allarus Custodes.

Is it possible to play an all-Custodes army? Without being "that guy"?

I'm guessing I'll need jetbikes, but don't want a spam-jetbike army. Any other suggestions on how to play Custodes without being awful about it?

This is my pure Custodes army. I apologise in advance for the Battlescribe text. It's worked decently for me and I feel has just enough variety to not feel like you're spanning any one unit. The Telemon is necessary for a pure Custodes list since you need the long ranged anti tank. If you don't want to mess with Forge World, it can be replaced by a Land Raider by dropping one biker and combining the rest into a single 5 man squad, although this is not ideal imo.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [106 PL, 1999pts] ++

+ HQ +

Shield-Captain [7 PL, 124pts]: Castellan Axe, Eagle's Eye

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 160pts]: Auric Aquilis, Hurricane Bolter, Superior Creation, Warlord

+ Troops +

Custodian Guard Squad [8 PL, 163pts]
. Custodian: Sentinel Blade, Storm Shield
. Custodian: Guardian Spear

+ Elites +

Allarus Custodians [13 PL, 252pts]
. Allarus Custodian: Castellan Axe

Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 124pts]: Castellan Axe, Vexilla Magnifica

+ Fast Attack +

Vertus Praetors [15 PL, 270pts]
. Vertus Praetor: Hurricane Bolter

Vertus Praetors [15 PL, 270pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Telemon Heavy Dreadnought (Beta) [17 PL, 310pts]: Illiastus Accelerator Culverin, Illiastus Accelerator Culverin

++ Total: [106 PL, 1999pts] ++

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That's really good, I like that. I'd only need the jetbikes and the dreadnought.

Mind if I swipe that list as a starting point?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Cessna posted:

That's really good, I like that. I'd only need the jetbikes and the dreadnought.

Mind if I swipe that list as a starting point?

Go for it!

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
A Custodes army with a little bit of everything is a fine and dandy sight.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

head58 posted:

Citizen, this is a corpse starch distribution center!

lol

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cessna posted:

I'm thinking - and no, I haven't pointed it out yet - of doing regular Custodes with maybe six total (2 groups of 3) jetbikes. Add in some Contemptors and start painting everything gold.

I have no idea if this will be good or not, no one in my group plays Custodes.

It'll be fine but maybe a little one-dimensional. You certainly won't be TFG.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
As Corrode pointed out I was at the same event as him on the weekend, my exciting and vastly less optimized adventure is detailed at:

http://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/tournament-report-autumn-tides-2018/

Can our hero the wraithknight survive a Tau alpha strike? You can probably guess the answer, but go find out!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Posted in the Discord but not here yet. Finished my Rainbow Warrior Primaris Librarian in time for the Kill Team Commanders expansion!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Posted in the Discord but not here yet. Finished my Rainbow Warrior Primaris Librarian in time for the Kill Team Commanders expansion!

Like the rest of your Rainbow Warriors, he's awesome. The sword in particular is brilliant.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Spikes is stored in the balls.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Beautiful.

Seriously, man, every time you post your photos I admire the hell out of them. To take something from old-school Rogue Trader and make them stand out like that? Amazing work.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I didn't even notice the rainbow psychic glow the first time. So good.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

I figure the Vindicare will get play when I make 2k points lists for my Imperial Fists and I want someone to keep their HQs on their toes and not charging right at me. I like the idea of a second Eversor, gently caress up my opponents long-range firepower.

Culexus is there just to piss off this one dude who plays a bunch of synapse Nids. And the other guy who plays Eldar.

I dunno if one Vindy is enough to deter a dedicated HtH smash leader, but lemme know if it works for you. The Culexius is exactly what you need for Psyker-heavy Bugs and Eldar, he should do fine.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I dunno if one Vindy is enough to deter a dedicated HtH smash leader, but lemme know if it works for you. The Culexius is exactly what you need for Psyker-heavy Bugs and Eldar, he should do fine.

Not so much that as some lesser one that might give me a headache

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
My next broadside is done!

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Some really good picture have been posted. Nice work goons.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Its always good to see your Primaris projects, how do you find them as an army?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

This loving owns man I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
For my next project, I'm planning a Harlequins army. For anti tank, I'm thinking 3 Soaring Spite starweavers filled with Fusion Pistols, while my anti horde will be 3 Frozen Stars starweavers filled with close combat troupes.

Does anyone have any experience running just Harlequins, or am I handicapping myself a lot with not allying in other Eldar factions?