Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Same here.

What happens to me often is if I'm not facing someone I won't realize right away that what they're saying is directed at me. I'll hear them, realize I'm being addressed, and then focus on what I'm hearing. As a result I get the last few words of the sentence and say, "what?" They then repeat only the last few words of the sentence and I still have no idea what the hell they're talking about. At that point I have to either annoy them and ask for a repeat of the entire sentence or just try to piece everything together. Lots of fun when your wife's normal conversational voice is soft to begin with.

Oh hey :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I just flat out don't understand leadership in the Army, particularly LTC's and COL's.

Day 3 of our 10 day recovery is a BN competition that will involve over 75% of the BN. The following week days 6-9 of recovery is a another multi-day BN level event that will involve most of the BN. Then the following week we go into the field for 2 weeks for a BDE training event. Which is then followed by more non-stop heavy training until Christmas block leave.

Senior leaders in the Army are just objectively bad. I'm sure there's going to be some massive FLIPLs during the changes of command following the BDE event which I'm sure the BN and BDE commanders will accept no amount of responsibility for.

My BN's MAJ's will gripe about this bullshit too but whatever they have to say to their rater and senior rater behind closed doors is either 1) ineffectual or 2) not happening. I'm sure when they become BN commanders they will be just as awful, command seems to bring out the worst in people.

My BN commander has had us read various books about leadership and management in civilian organizations though I don't understand the purpose. The result is pretty much just "Yep, that sounds great! lets not implement any of it though".

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

I just flat out don't understand leadership in the Army, particularly LTC's and COL's.

Day 3 of our 10 day recovery is a BN competition that will involve over 75% of the BN. The following week days 6-9 of recovery is a another multi-day BN level event that will involve most of the BN. Then the following week we go into the field for 2 weeks for a BDE training event. Which is then followed by more non-stop heavy training until Christmas block leave.

Senior leaders in the
Army are just objectively bad. I'm sure there's going to be some massive FLIPLs during the changes of command following the BDE event which I'm sure the BN and BDE commanders will accept no amount of responsibility for.

My BN's MAJ's will gripe about this bullshit too but whatever they have to say to their rater and senior rater behind closed doors is either 1) ineffectual or 2) not happening. I'm sure when they become BN commanders they will be just as awful, command seems to bring out the worst in people.

My BN commander has had us read various books about leadership and management in civilian organizations though I don't understand the purpose. The result is pretty much just "Yep, that sounds great! lets not implement any of it though".

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 8, 2018

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Mustang posted:

Senior leaders in the Army are just objectively bad. I'm sure there's going to be some massive FLIPLs during the changes of command following the BDE event which I'm sure the BN and BDE commanders will accept no amount of responsibility for.

What's funny is that you have actually not introduced anything new to your thesis of 'gently caress the army' and are just continually giving a random lurker who wanders in ammo to doxx you while you are actively at a post.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
sir

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
He's finally becoming a jaded junior officer, let him vent. He's about to grow his hair out and become a captain of zero fucks.

Mustang posted:

It's all a dick waving contest. O-5s just want to prove they can be BDE commanders and so on. O-4's grin and bear it because they have no other choice but to go all in. I'm actually curious how the TSP is going to affect careerism in the Army since you won't have officers who are purely motivated by the pension anymore.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

sustainable readiness model. it will seriously be the reason why retention is poo poo. we looked at our LRTC when we get back from the deployment I'm currently on and there's no whitespace because all of our crews will be out of tolerance and we need to be ready for NTC. it's really loving bad.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Got told yesterday that I have to get to mandatory training to train the trainers later this week on this morning at 0800, when All I had to do was pick up barracks keys at 1000. I got up two hours early, dropped my friend off at work an hour earlier than I was going to(she came over because it was a holiday and I promised her a ride to work Tuesday morning and we had pie and dinner last night) so 7AM instead of 8am when her work starts...

Only to find out that the training isn’t on the schedule by any agency on this base and that the date I was given is wrong and why did I get a sitrep about this on a holiday weekend?

But that isn’t so bad now I’m just here 2 hours early. Oh well.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Thought you guys would enjoy this one:

quote:

Lt. Gen. Laura Richardson, (...)

To that end, she said, the Army is revamping training to emphasize short-notice exercises scheduled "at the most inopportune time" with shifting requirements, "all with the purpose of stressing the system" to gauge readiness.

She cited a recent exercise involving the 10th Mountain Division, based at Fort Drum in upstate New York. The division, which is accustomed to moving by rail to Combat Training Centers, was told to move by sea through the Port of Philadelphia, Richardson said.

"I'll tell you our training strategy works," said Lt. Gen. Paul E. Funk II, commander of the Army's III Corps and Fort Hood, Texas.

via
https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/2018/10/09/pentagons-lethality-task-force-needs-more-funding-mattis-aide.html

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hahahahahahahahahaha

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Cool. Love to do snap exercises Russia-style.

Except even when we do that, we still have to like... load up on ships and planes and rail to get to theater instead of just driving to the front. So 1,000% more pain CONUS buys like 0.5% more surprise and speed OCONUS?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Lol so glad I'm not at drum anymore. That place somehow always manages to top itself.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That whole training plan is “Figure it out, S4” as gently caress.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Already did that, first day back from block leave last year we were told to start moving our poo poo by sea to NTC.

Yes, we took our poo poo by sea to a place in the middle of a desert.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
RIP PRC/RU/DPRK when we deploy via the USPS unofficial motto.

“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
loving lol

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Already did that, first day back from block leave last year we were told to start moving our poo poo by sea to NTC.

Yes, we took our poo poo by sea to a place in the middle of a desert.

We've been doing that for almost two decades I don't know what you're complaining about

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can't tell reality from a Duffle Blog article anymore.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bird food bathtub posted:

I can't tell reality from a Duffle Blog article anymore.

Usually there's an element of humor to a Duffel Blog article.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Can't wait until someone tries that with 1/25 in Fairbanks, and they get to NTC three weeks ahead of their gear.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Is there enough shipping capacity sitting idle to make that work?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
When the DOD comes calling, shipping capacity make itself available.

It’s going to cost $FuckYou but it’s gonna be available.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SimonCat posted:

Is there enough shipping capacity sitting idle to make that work?

Shipping capacity is way, way higher than port embark/disembark capacity and material handling equipment/crew capacity.

You’ll swamp an airfield or a port well before you run out of ships to put poo poo on.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

For us, we moved thousands of pieces of rolling stock and containers by ship and then had it all linehauled from Port of San Diego to NTC. Can't even imagine how much that must have cost.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
A lot, but also less than virtually any other mode of transport from home station to NTC?

Typically $20-25 million per BCT rotation to, during, and back from NTC it seems.

Expensive, but pretty cheap compared to a lot of other military poo poo.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 11, 2018

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, but think of how many trips you could make to Yakima for that kind of money!

Here begins the countdown 'til some poor bastards have to road march from JBLM all the way down to NTC. "But Naked Bear, that's beyond loving stupid!" you say. To that, I say, "Army."

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Probably more expensive to road march to NTC due to cost of break downs and parts, plus recovery assets and fuel.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Train like you fight, hua?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Mustang posted:

Probably more expensive to road march to NTC due to cost of break downs and parts, plus recovery assets and fuel.

Don't worry, Tricare doesn't come out of the unit's budget, so just THINK of the savings!

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
“Hey S4 can you get us ammunition for tomorrow?”

“☹️ I’ll ask around but we won’t have ammunition till we were supposed to fire next Saturday.”- me, thinking of who I need to call to arrange this outlandish exchange and how impossible this will be

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Talk to the BDE ammunition NCO, there's probably another unit with excess to spare.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

You guys ever have to run a range as an Un-Funded Requirement (UFR)?

As a new platoon leader I had to run a 9mm range that was on the training schedule but was then told there wasn't 9mm ammo available. The S-3 shop said that while we were required to conduct the range, it wasn't funded and we couldn't draw anything from the ASP--thus "Un-Funded Requirement."

I was advised to call around post myself and arrange a trade with another unit. Good thing the MPs had a shitload of 9mm and we had a shitload of 50 cal. Bear in mind this was in the woodland BDU late 1990's. It was my first exposure to the concept of "tough poo poo, figure it out."

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
We drove to Pinon Canyon from Fort Carson. One of the vehicles broke down in our convoy literally ba mile outside the gate so we had to slow the convoy down to 25 miles per hour. It took 8 hours to get there.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Breakdown plan is always “continue” and wreckers are always last in line for that purpose.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
We had a Stryker break down in the maybe mile and a half between the motor pool on north Fort Lewis and the main gate onto base. One lucky guy got to stay back at base with it while the mechanics figured out what was wrong. Turns out when you confuse engine coolant for engine oil, the engine gets very unhappy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Ashmole posted:

We drove to Pinon Canyon from Fort Carson. One of the vehicles broke down in our convoy literally ba mile outside the gate so we had to slow the convoy down to 25 miles per hour. It took 8 hours to get there.

when was that? I did FTX at pinion canyon in 2003. incredible views and nightly thunderstorms.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

We had a Stryker break down in the maybe mile and a half between the motor pool on north Fort Lewis and the main gate onto base. One lucky guy got to stay back at base with it while the mechanics figured out what was wrong. Turns out when you confuse engine coolant for engine oil, the engine gets very unhappy.

It must have been like smelly chocolate pudding inside the block :cripes:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

it's been a few years since i've shown this pic

the recovery mission took 2 days because korea

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the postures of everyone in that photo screams "well, poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY