Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Life's short and now I am too

RIP elf boy

Bolow posted:

I finally got around to decorating my Medium Plot I scooped up like 2 months ago. The new Verdant Partitions might've driven me mad inspired me a lot.

https://imgur.com/a/hvyL3fS

Ward 15 Plot 57 in the Lavender Beds on Excalibur if you want to see it first hand :v:

Nice work! The master bedroom is especially good. The little touches really make it. And yeah, verdant partitions are the poo poo. 4.4 was a great patch for furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm convinced that if a queue comes up while the game is minimized, it accelerates the countdown. Like, I just looked at the queue and I was #8 with like 5+ estimated minutes remaining, I alt-tab out for a minute or two, notice the queue has popped up, go back to the game, and the queue has disappeared (and had me withdrawn as a result) in the second it took to maximize the game window again.

It is seriously uncanny how bad my luck is with queues randomly coming up when I'm looking away. Go to the bathroom? Queue pops. Go to grab a drink? Queue pops.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Average Wait Time: 22 minutes

Okay, I guess I'll just decorate my Free Company room while I wait.

*queue pop sound*

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Queue ETA: 45 Mins

"Nice i have time to take a leak and a smoke"

*Queue pops thirty seconds later as I'm coming back from the bathroom and I am idled out*

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I sure love when a queue pops mid-teleport and it takes me a minute or more to load back in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I get the impression Gaius was a comparatively "good" Imperial and that the rest of the Empire is a bunch of Nazis. This one quest I just did mentioned the empire developing some chemical warfare agent to genocide Eorzeans with and that Gaius shut it down (because he merely wished to colonize the Eorzeans instead of genocide them, lol).

Griz
May 21, 2001

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I sure love when a queue pops mid-teleport and it takes me a minute or more to load back in.

I bought an SSD a couple years ago and the worst loadtimes went from over a minute to about 5 seconds.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There is a reason that people say Gaius did nothing wrong.

That's bullshit, of course, but there is a reason.

Keep in mind that Gaius also didn't want Dalamud to fall onto Eorzea and tried to prevent that from happening.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

He's like Rommel, I guess, people are always apologizing for him like "he's one of the good ones", but end of the day he was still a Nazi. Gaius is all aboard the Garlean train when it comes to genociding beast tribes, he just wishes they were slightly less war crimey about their war crimes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regula is also a pretty decent guy.

Griz posted:

I bought an SSD a couple years ago and the worst loadtimes went from over a minute to about 5 seconds.

Does this help with fps, too? Because at best, I run at 20.

homeless snail posted:

He's like Rommel, I guess, people are always apologizing for him like "he's one of the good ones", but end of the day he was still a Nazi. Gaius is all aboard the Garlean train when it comes to genociding beast tribes, he just wishes they were slightly less war crimey about their war crimes.

The Ananta didn't seem inconvenienced by his presence in Ala Mhigo, curiously enough.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yes but at the tiniest degree (and usually because there's something wrong with the HDD it replaces). CPU, video card, and RAM are still the big ones for FPS.

I will say that upgrading to an SSD with lots of storage is the single best upgrade for a PC.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am getting a new PC this week and cannot wait to loving load this game in less than a minute per teleport, and have a framerate that is actually in the double digits

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The game responds most dramatically to more powerful GPU hardware, but will run fine on more modest silicon. VRAM is a non-issue for the game, as it still tries to stay under 1 GB of VRAM at any given time. Even with everything cranked, I can't get it to go over 1.1 GB.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 9, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

All the loving time in Heavensward, because my dumbass would be teleporting back to Idyllshire while I was in a queue. I remember whenever I was farming something, I had to leave Idyll because I knew I wouldn't be back before everyone else was ready to go back in. And all you can do is sit there listening to the drat timer tick down. So frustrating.

Ytlaya posted:

So I get the impression Gaius was a comparatively "good" Imperial and that the rest of the Empire is a bunch of Nazis. This one quest I just did mentioned the empire developing some chemical warfare agent to genocide Eorzeans with and that Gaius shut it down (because he merely wished to colonize the Eorzeans instead of genocide them, lol).

Gaius wants to wipe beast tribes off the map, he just doesn't think unnecessary casualties should be part of that. Still, I'm pretty certain he sanctioned Livia's assault on the Waking Sands. So he's not above killing non beast people.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i’ve gotten back on the DRK leveling train. up to 67 i believe right now and man

drk has too many buttons but also all of them are fun to press and i don’t know what i’d prune. it’s a conundrum

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Khloe
Khloe this is like rotating the I-block on top of the hole
KHLOE

(Edit: The pumpkin sticker was the last one placed)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 9, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

isk posted:

Yes but at the tiniest degree (and usually because there's something wrong with the HDD it replaces). CPU, video card, and RAM are still the big ones for FPS.

I will say that upgrading to an SSD with lots of storage is the single best upgrade for a PC.

Yeah, even here in Finland where everything's expensive as hell a 500GB SSD only cost me 100€ and 250GB would've been almost half that. If adding one (and installing your OS on it) is at all an option then nigh-instant response times are more than worth it. It's like going from dial-up to broadband.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bolow posted:

Find another moon to drop and drop it on the loving Shroud
Settle down, Lahabrea, we all know the only ethical city state is Garlemald after we temper everyone to the primal Lenin but Kan-e is a pretty good person in the context of the system she was (literally) born into.

That would be an interesting thing to explore narratively, really. What happens if Padjal leave the area of the Elementals influence? Kan-e never seems to have issues but she's both unusually powerful and never is gone for long.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

rhoga posted:

RIP elf boy

Ooh that axe is nice, which one is it?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ytlaya posted:

I'm convinced that if a queue comes up while the game is minimized, it accelerates the countdown. Like, I just looked at the queue and I was #8 with like 5+ estimated minutes remaining, I alt-tab out for a minute or two, notice the queue has popped up, go back to the game, and the queue has disappeared (and had me withdrawn as a result) in the second it took to maximize the game window again.

It is seriously uncanny how bad my luck is with queues randomly coming up when I'm looking away. Go to the bathroom? Queue pops. Go to grab a drink? Queue pops.

If I plan on alt tabbing in a queue, I go into the sound settings and mute everything except system sounds. This way I don't have to listen to the game in the background but I'll hear it if the queue pops.

I just wish the game didn't freak out and lose all audio if you switched your audio output, because if I plan on walking away I don't have the option of switching to speakers.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Nessus posted:

That would be an interesting thing to explore narratively, really. What happens if Padjal leave the area of the Elementals influence?

They do explore something a bit like that in the Stormblood WHM quests.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Renegret posted:

If I plan on alt tabbing in a queue, I go into the sound settings and mute everything except system sounds. This way I don't have to listen to the game in the background but I'll hear it if the queue pops.

I just wish the game didn't freak out and lose all audio if you switched your audio output, because if I plan on walking away I don't have the option of switching to speakers.

Use Realtek audio manager, I switch between headphones and speakers all the time

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

Gaius was a Nietzsche-spouting True Believer while most other Garleans you run into are "just" assholes on a power trip. It's up to you to decide whether that makes him better or worse.

He may be worse, but worse in a way that ultimately works out to our advantage.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Gaius is fairly irredeemable. I am interested in the direction they go with him. I really hope they don't give him a full redemption arc and present him as an ally of convenience. They've kinda done something similar with Nero so I think they can manage it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Gaius is fairly irredeemable. I am interested in the direction they go with him. I really hope they don't give him a full redemption arc and present him as an ally of convenience. They've kinda done something similar with Nero so I think they can manage it.

Gaius is going to become our bestest friend and our gunblade teacher for the new Soldier tank job and our travel companion and we'll have a bromance.

No but seriously I hope he doesn't get redeemed. He's a war criminal.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

No but seriously I hope he doesn't get redeemed. He's a war criminal.

He's certainly an enemy general who perpetuated a war of conquest against Eorzea, but he ain't no war criminal, even by IRL standards. He's the guy that shut down the Garlean's phosphene gas-esque project and, in both Ala Mhigo and Eorzea, attempted to get things done with a minimum of bloodshed (via the civil war in the former and Ultima Weapon in the latter).

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Honestly, I just want 5.0 Gaius to play the role of Estinien by constantly dunking on Alphinaud. The fact that Alphinaud hasn't even figured out who he is is pretty dang hilarious.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vermain posted:

He's certainly an enemy general who perpetuated a war of conquest against Eorzea, but he ain't no war criminal, even by IRL standards. He's the guy that shut down the Garlean's phosphene gas-esque project and, in both Ala Mhigo and Eorzea, attempted to get things done with a minimum of bloodshed (via the civil war in the former and Ultima Weapon in the latter).

Naw, Gaius genocided a fair number of beast tribes too. He is poo poo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I have ten thousand percent killed more beastmen than Gaius.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Naw, Gaius genocided a fair number of beast tribes too. He is poo poo.

But the Ananta!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Omega/Crystal tower spoilers In what way is Nero shown at all as an ally of convenience? At most he's Cid's hot blooded Rival but that's mostly played up for amusement, he 100% got redeemed

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
My recollection of 2.0 is a little shaky, but as I recall, compared to most other Garleans we have murdalized, disarmed, or otherwise subdued, Gaius is at least a candidate for redemption. He's no Lucia, but he's shown flexibility of thought and a willingness to change his tactics, goals, and morals, it seems (he may have once been a true believer, but I doubt that is the case anymore with him hunting certain folks). If they keep that up, who knows. I'd prefer the ally of convenience route as well, like Nero, but I think the definition of war crimes needs be taken in a Hydaelyn context. I doubt our real world definition really applies in FFXIV. The beast tribes have their own WMDs (primals), and Gaius never, to my recollection, responded in kind. Nor did he set up extermination camps. What he has done is actively worked against the use of WMD type stuff as long as he's been around, whether it was in his own faction or in others.

Also this:

Saint Freak posted:

I have ten thousand percent killed more beastmen than Gaius.

The WoL and our allies (looking at you, Maelstrom, especially) take no issue in violently disarming the beast tribes when necessary, so we're no better. Honestly the WoL may be the world's most dangerous WMD - he's like the US using the atom bomb on Japan - probably a war crime, but in the context, it tends to be seen as the lesser of two evils. In my mind, Gaius was much the same, usually choosing the route of less evil to pursue the goals he believed in.

Edit: I guess my main question would be - What is an irredeemable war crime on Hydaelyn, and has Gaius committed any such war crimes?

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 9, 2018

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
All war is a crime, hth.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pretty sure that Project Meteor was the irredeemable war crime. Hence why Gaius thought it was unacceptable and quietly helped the hero take down Nael.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

lightrook posted:

Ooh that axe is nice, which one is it?

Nymian Royal Marine Battleaxe. It's from Gubal.
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/d8fd3841bdb/

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The thing with Gaius is I don't think there's any way he doesn't try and steer the Empire back to imperialist conquering and primal slaughtering the second the Ascians are out of the way

There is really no excuse for Gaius after seeing what he did to Ala Mhigo and how there's basically an entire generation of kids that were taught that their country deserves to be a miserable dirthole because their elders won't shut the gently caress up and accept imperial rule

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

The thing with Gaius is I don't think there's any way he doesn't try and steer the Empire back to imperialist conquering and primal slaughtering the second the Ascians are out of the way

He won't need to when he becomes the WoL's husband and can just point you at gods to kill because you're bored.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

There is really no excuse for Gaius after seeing what he did to Ala Mhigo.

I think this is the accurate take. He's not a kid, he's been a conquistador for decades and is fully invested in that world view. If he has suddenly developed a conscious it'd feel really forced. My guess is that his motivation is that he found out that he'd been manipulated and now intends to purify the Empire even if that means breaking its ability to wage further war. He's not a good guy, but he hates Solus and the Ascians at least as much as the WoL does.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I realized the real weapon against primals is the friends we make along the way. Especially the friend called Living Weapon God Slayer Warrior of Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

There is really no excuse for Gaius after seeing what he did to Ala Mhigo and how there's basically an entire generation of kids that were taught that their country deserves to be a miserable dirthole because their elders won't shut the gently caress up and accept imperial rule

Didn't he manage to capture Ala Mhigo with a minimum of bloodshed though? Through some plot? I don't remember the details. His actions as the viceroy of Ala Mhigo are the best argument so far for his irredeemablility though. I hadn't considered that he might be personally responsible for planning/directing the dehumanizing treatment of the Ala Mhigan people. Watch, we'll find out in the future that he opposed such actions, but he was overruled by the Emperor/Zenos and they try to present him as a repentant, responsibility accepting character (like a fictionalized version of Albert Speer or something? Someone that acknowledges they did something really bad and tries to make up for it in whatever way they can? I dunno man).

Given that the only other folks we have to compare him to in that role are two folks that literally became primals, he may be the best of the bunch, but that's not saying much in the context. Also who knows what he'd do after murdercating Ascians and freeing Garlemald from Ascian influence. He strikes me as someone that was a true believer because he wanted to protect his people (who had been rather oppressed in the past), not because of a thirst for conquest. He might sue for peace, especially if there was a big Garlean civil war, which seems like it could happen.

I'm not trying to be a video game war criminal apologist here (Edit - if the Eorzean Alliance can capture him and put him on trial, that'd be great and a really interesting plot point), but I find this conversation interesting as I have a feeling this is the way the narrative is going and I'm curious how they'll try to work around some of these bigger issues.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 9, 2018