Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DELETE CASCADE posted:

idk about faceid but if you hit the power button 5 times the phone will disable fingerprint login and require passcode

Even better u could just not enable gimmick logins altogether

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what is google using for their internal social network now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably mailing lists or something equally horrible and linux

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hifi posted:

what is google using for their internal social network now

memegen tbh

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fishmech posted:

Even better u could just not enable gimmick logins altogether

but then you couldn’t post anymore

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The Management posted:

but then you couldn’t post anymore

:vince:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

lol it's true

g+ did its job people are mostly logged in all the time when they hit yt or search or whatever so gj i guess. anyone want to hear my vic gundotra story?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

lol it's true

g+ did its job people are mostly logged in all the time when they hit yt or search or whatever so gj i guess. anyone want to hear my vic gundotra story?

plz

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I get recruiters asking me to join A NEW STARTUP RUN BY VIC GUNDROTRA as though that's somehow a selling point

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wheany posted:

rip in piss, google+, a.k.a "the worse facebook"

google+ isn't responsible for a genocide, so it definitely not worse than facebook

also the social circles & privacy controls were neat

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

google+ isn't responsible for a genocide, so it definitely not worse than facebook

you're going to have to explain this one e: nvm

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SciFiDownBeat posted:

you're going to have to explain this one

the Rohingya genocide in Myanmar has been pretty much entirely organized via Facebook, and Facebook's newsfeed algorithm kept promoting crazy racist panic stories of Rohingya criminality and immorality.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

only because nobody used it. they have nothing against the material, as their radicalization engine on youtube proves

also the social circles & privacy controls were neat

yeah, there was also a data leak last spring

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

remember when they crammed google+ accounts down everyone's throats? you couldn't use youtube without a google+ account.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

in case anyone was wondering the point of g+ was to get you logged in while on other google properties and it largely succeeded. like, at least as often as i see 'sign in with fb' on random other sites that don't want to roll their own username/pw system i see sign in with google too which was not where things were trending before g+. no one actually thought it would compete with fb for like, a newsfeed and all your friends lists and sharing and poo poo. that ship sailed by the time myspace died. why they didn't communicate that and let everyone call it a joke i don't really know.

anyways vic is a huge lush. both times we went on corp vacations to wailea because he had a compound across the street. if you were one of his hot pms he'd invite you there for a bacchanal.

the first time i met him was when he did his first ever hangout. we were very focused on internal corp vc at the time and had recently launched multiway. i don't remember why i was idling after work but that evening i was and he logs in with his 12 oz wineglass and gets rowdier throughout the night. "we should all take off our shirts." "what a room should do if it's full and more people want to join is, look at everyone's profile and if there are less girls than guys in it only let girls in until they are balanced again."

other poo poo like that, in a mixed group of mostly strangers. also he can't stop mentioning how he invented ole/com at ms. like drat it was 1992 or w/e get over it.

hangouts was a good fit product wise for g+ but got subsumed in all their bad poo poo too. we had to rewrite the messaging back end on the same tech as their news feed. i bet you can guess the difference in impact if you miss someone's baby pics versus an im. in order to use hangouts you had to go through the ridiculous g+ signup including real name etc etc. remote pms who only cared about visibility with vic trying to strongarm a dev team in a different state etc etc. kinda laid the seeds for all the other bad decisions in messaging products.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

remember when they crammed google+ accounts down everyone's throats? you couldn't use youtube without a google+ account.

lol

i forgot

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no one actually thought it would compete with fb for like, a newsfeed and all your friends lists and sharing and poo poo. that ship sailed by the time myspace died. why they didn't communicate that and let everyone call it a joke i don't really know.

google sure as poo poo thought this. there were even tv advertisements trying to draw people away from facebook.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

no. ive always been able to use youtube without an account.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

no. ive always been able to use youtube without an account.

It was commenting. There was quite an uproar.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't think ive ever commented on a youtube

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

I don't think ive ever commented on a youtube

same

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

google sure as poo poo thought this. there were even tv advertisements trying to draw people away from facebook.

i mean, i guess you always hope something to be wildly successful beyond your expectataions, but no one seriously thought you could get people to recreate the fb ecosystem from scratch especially since it's impossible to export.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ \☻ This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████]... ▌\︻╦╤─ Copy and Paste this all over
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤.... / \ YouTube if you are with us

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
RIP secret yosplus, glad my forums login still works

goddamn so many new smilies :yosnice:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no one actually thought it would compete with fb for like, a newsfeed and all your friends lists and sharing and poo poo.

the impression i got from vic was that he actually did consider himself a jobsian messiah and his social media product would obviously end up killing facebook why would you not want to use it?

a lot of the lower-level people almost certainly knew it was bullshit, but delusions at the top tend to taint the whole thing

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

:ssh:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

first yosirc and now this

what's the world coming to

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rex-Goliath posted:

first yosirc and now this

what's the world coming to

the forums

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:greencube:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol

quote:

The consumer version of Google+ currently has low usage and engagement: 90 percent of Google+ user sessions are less than five seconds.
that means 90% of g+ interactions are people going "poo poo! i accidentally clicked that stupid g+ button!" and immediately backing out, right?

e: "how google glass could kill facebook - and rescue google plus"

https://twitter.com/ProfJeffJarviss/status/1049444266219642880

FMguru fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 9, 2018

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You're accessing YouTube! You must now create a Google+ account!

[Later] [Now]
"Later"

Why not now?
[ ] Whatever
[ ] Whatever
[ ] Whatever

Repeat 50x.

Then, accidentally click "Now" just once because someone is over your shoulder and you want the dialogs to go away while showing them something and "okay done! No backsies without deleting your Gmail account ever again!" or some such BS. Mine may have been worse than normal since my domain was hosted in Gmail.

Followed by a later "Oh what the hell, let's categorize a few people like it's constantly pestering me to, maybe it will stop" only to later learn Google was eagerly emailing everybody as you did it telling them you had just added them to the Family/Friend/Colleague circle, and they should join Google+ too!

So much love for G+!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

FMguru posted:

that means 90% of g+ interactions are people going "poo poo! i accidentally clicked that stupid g+ button!" and immediately backing out, right?

exactly

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
"people must use their real names because that will make people not post terrible poo poo"

good point, on the other hand: recoded history

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
you can't just use a real sounding fake name, we'll ban you!

(note: we will not enforce this in any way except for people who are targeted by mass reporting campaigns)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
let’s not pretend like google+ wasn’t a panicked response to the rise of Facebook. google had created an array of services and massive panopticon to try to understand who the users are so it can target them better. then comes fb and users are literally telling Facebook everything about them. all of that juicy targeting info, of the highest quality, just typed right in for Facebook to use. Facebook ads were starting to cut into google’s sales. they grabbed a significant chunk of the online ad market. they are a significant competitor. and now they have tracking bugs everywhere, which work great because everyone is always logged into Facebook already. and you can log in with Facebook into everything.

oh, and let’s not forget that Facebook was siphoning off google engineers at a rapid clip. they had an IPO coming up and later fast rising shares, whereas google stock was stagnant for a long time there. at one point google gave all employees a 10% raise across the board to try and stem the bleeding.

google was scared. they were losing share of the online ad market to the first real competitor they’ve ever had. they were losing employees. they were missing out on so much tasty data and ad opportunities because people spent so much time inside Facebook properties and were so trusting with their personal info. and so, g+.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the windows phone of social networks: bad, clunky, two years too late and predictable at every stage of its lifecycle from launch to ejection from the ball pit

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The Management posted:

let’s not pretend like google+ wasn’t a panicked response to the rise of Facebook. google had created an array of services and massive panopticon to try to understand who the users are so it can target them better. then comes fb and users are literally telling Facebook everything about them. all of that juicy targeting info, of the highest quality, just typed right in for Facebook to use. Facebook ads were starting to cut into google’s sales. they grabbed a significant chunk of the online ad market. they are a significant competitor. and now they have tracking bugs everywhere, which work great because everyone is always logged into Facebook already. and you can log in with Facebook into everything.

oh, and let’s not forget that Facebook was siphoning off google engineers at a rapid clip. they had an IPO coming up and later fast rising shares, whereas google stock was stagnant for a long time there. at one point google gave all employees a 10% raise across the board to try and stem the bleeding.

google was scared. they were losing share of the online ad market to the first real competitor they’ve ever had. they were losing employees. they were missing out on so much tasty data and ad opportunities because people spent so much time inside Facebook properties and were so trusting with their personal info. and so, g+.

and then g+ fails horribly and google still makes a boatload of money so i'm not sure what conclusions to draw. except possibly that corporate strategy is a lie capitalists tell themselves to feel like they've earned their wealth

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

2009-era valley joke: what's the fastest way to get from mountain view to palo alto?

tell a facebook recruiter you're thinking of jumping from google

[I think at one point you could get them to send an actual limo]

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsoQGTA1SxY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

The Management posted:

let’s not pretend like google+ wasn’t a panicked response to the rise of Facebook.

i've felt for a long time that if they'd kept their cool and slowly consolidated their services to gradually mimic and then overcome facebook they would have been massively successful

basically take igoogle and slowly creep/normalize the social features in by leveraging the fact people were already using gchat / youtube

• Locked thread