Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Love zombies. Hate ancient dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm happy to say that I save scum all my hires - I'll probably stop once the preview feature is in game. Each town I go to I hire everyone, and keep whoever is really good. I'm pretty selective though. Game is brutally hard enough playing on vet/vet that I don't feel like I should be too embarrassed about this small indulgence. And it's nice to roll around with a frontline of all iron lung dudes. I've had great luck in my new game with finding them.

I've literally never had an iron lungs guy live long enough to do anything meaningful, the best one I had was a wildman who got murdered by an orc warlord or something IIRC

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

RabidWeasel posted:

I've literally never had an iron lungs guy live long enough to do anything meaningful, the best one I had was a wildman who got murdered by an orc warlord or something IIRC

I’ve had like six iron lungs this game but like all but two have died and I think two were so worthless I got rid of them anyway.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
858154 is an amazing seed.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

The Lord Bude posted:

858154 is an amazing seed.

What’s its deal? Looking for a good seed to play the dlc:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, I've seen the distributions, but I don't really have a good feel for the decisions on who's good, what needs some fixing, what's acceptable as part of a minmax and so on.

I couldn't figure that out for a long time too but now I can confidently say how a recruit will turn out. So here's a mini guide to attributes:

First you must understand how much attribute points a bro will get on average if you increase that attribute at every level-up. For melee skill, melee & ranged defense you can expect a bro to add +20 points, for initiative +40 points, and for everything else +30 points. Stars complicate things, but as a rule of thumb add +5 to that number for each star. So for instance if you have a bro with 50 melee skill but three stars on it, he has the potential to end up with ~85 melee skill, which is quite respectable (two stars guarantee a max roll at every level up, so that one is pretty predictable). From this you can derive the mininum starting attribute for the "ideal" number you are aiming for at level 11. Of course the ideal number is subjective but here is what works for me:

Hitpoints: I try to have a minimum of 80 hp for all frontliners. Higher than 100 is a bit of waste in my opinion; you'd have more survivability with more fatigue (for heavier armor) or melee defense instead. A starting hp of 60 is good and pretty common. Colossus perk really helps with this stat, though you can go without it if your bro has really high hp and stars (so you have an extra perk slot)

Fatigue: I try to have somewhere around 75 fatigue for each bro after equipment, more is better, and 65 fatigue should be bare mininum. This means, combined with the brawny perk, you need somewhere between 125-135 fatigue to be able to wear the heaviest armors and still move around. Shieldbros can get by with slightly lighter armor, but either way a starting fatigue of 100 is decent and common. There is an argument to go even higher if you want to use orcish weapons but that only becomes feasible with bros from backgrounds such as wildmen or hedge knights with ridiculously high fatigue. Always take the brawny perk for heavy armor users (ie most of your company)

Obviously crossbowmen and polearm users need much less fatigue bu archers still need 90+ fatigue after equipment if they want to be berserking machine guns who fire 3 times a turn.

Resolve: This is a bit tricky since resolve rolls are a bit obscure in this game, but I find you need a minimum 40 resolve (for backliners), 50 is good, 60 is great, and sergeants with the banner should have around 100 resolve (which is quite doable with the sash). Like colossus, fortified mind is a major help for this stat.

Initiative: This is considered a dump stat by many, except for ranged users and nimble overwhelm duelists, in which case you want ~130 or ~140 initiative. 110+ starting initiative is good.

Melee Skill: The primary stat for every frontliner and you should always raise this at level up for them. I try to have at least 80 at level 11, so 60 melee skill at the start is good, though sky is the limit for this one honestly.

Ranged Skill: Like melee skill but for ranged users. Same rules apply, though aim to have more than 80 at level 11 to offset the distance penalty, so 55 ranged skill at the start is great.

Melee defense: A primary stat for two-handed users and duelists. I aim to have 25 defense for them before I let go of their shields, so you need a minimum of 5 melee defense (or some stars) at the start before you can even consider a bro for the role. Otherwise they end up specializing in shields.

Ranged defense: Like above but for backliners. 25 defense is achievable so do that if you can. Nimble duelists also need this some of this.

fspades fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 9, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Affi posted:

What’s its deal? Looking for a good seed to play the dlc:

you can see a map and starting traits here:

https://bb.frukso.se/seed/858154/

Bear in mind that when lindwurm came out it broke all the seeds - there's no reason to expect the new DLC will be any different.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

The Lord Bude posted:

Bear in mind that when lindwurm came out it broke all the seeds - there's no reason to expect the new DLC will be any different.

the website I never knew existed but desperately needed

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I wish it had a "ignore starting traits in ranking" option, though. There are all kinds of ways for a bad map to screw you, but rolling with 3 Iron Lungs starters every game feels ridiculously cheesy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Lord Bude posted:

:vince: where has this been all my life :vince:

And yeah the main reason I'm not playing right now is that I feel like I should wait till post-patch to start looking for a good seed.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And yeah the main reason I'm not playing right now is that I feel like I should wait till post-patch to start looking for a good seed.

Same, but CK2. I should go in and finsh up the things I want to do with my current company, since it's happily one of the things in the steam cloud that carried over to my new pc.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:vince: where has this been all my life :vince:

It's not as good as it looks - there don't appear to be very many contributors - I don't think I've seen a single seed added in the fortnight or so that I've owned this game. Now that this thread knows about it though; hopefully some more people will add good random seeds they find.

My main trouble is finding good maps with decent access to hunters. I struggle to find good ranged dudes on both of the seeds I listed earlier. Bonus points if the map has good clusters of villages, and no vast expanses of swamp

edit: 229559 looks super promising. And one of the villages has salt/gems. Starting Bros aren't busted but the axe Bro is sarge material.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 9, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
drat, Lindwurm's hit hard, took one of my men down from full health and armor with one blow.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

When it comes to my core bros, I always prefer wildmen, squires, militia, deserters, caravan hand, farmer, cultist, in that order of desirability. I’ve had some drat good deserters, who were good enough to bypass the low resolve with some careful planning. Just don’t get too many deserters since they are not easy to manage in groups. Wildmen are as good as it gets with regulars and tend to be very affordable even in early game. Wildmen are insanely good.

Cultists are usually not very good in combat but are incredible sergeants, and are better in my experience for this than monks, graverobbers and flagellas. Witch hunters are also solid as sergeants and are excellent crossbow/pike hybrids as well.

I dislike thieves since they frequently end up either being mediocre or outright garbage. Jugglers and gamblers have the same chance of being trash or being okay. Grave diggers are a good alternative to farmers and tend to have better all round stats usually.

For later hires I go for Hedge Knights, Raiders, Wildmen, witchhunters, squires in that order. Sellswords are insanely pricey and for a very small amount more you could just get a knight. I’ve never tried Adventurous nobles. Retirees are not my style since I usually only care to hire for my front liners who need tons of fatigue capacity. People who ultimately underperform but don’t suck too much will get shifted to the back row once I get a replacement.

For range you just get hunters or witch hunters. Poachers are okay if you are tight on money, but you really want those hunters. Bowyers are trash in my experience. Sometimes squires will end up being good at range but that usually annoys me because I want more frontliners.

I have no clue if disowned nobles or bastards are worth their price tags, they never seemed very desirable.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love thieves early on. I've had a lot of good luck with them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Adventurous nobles are often really good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Adventurous Nobles are the expensive guy I never hire because they're terrible, since almost every one that comes up for me has all the stamina of an asthmatic even if they don't also get asthma. Add onto that a propensity to get shot in the face and I'd rather have a Sellsword.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

But always expensive, and I've noticed a lot of them have poo poo fatigue.

e: ^ yeah.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've had some really good Adventurous Nobles, but they're one of those classes I almost always savescum, since they can be really poo poo for their price as well.

Edit: Anyone gotten the unique background you can get from the Bastard event?

Edit2: Also, are Swordmasters ever worth it, or are they one of those luxuries you indulge in when you've got too much money?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 9, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's true adventurous nobles can have really bad stamina, but I think they're still the best of the noble classes. In my experience they tend to have high resolve and melee skills which means you can focus on their stamina more in level-ups and by the time you're hitting the level cap they've probably reached a sufficient level of stamina to be a good frontliner, while having better melee skills than most other backgrounds. Bastards and disowned nobles, on the other hand, usually have poo poo resolve as well as bad fatigue.

Checking the wiki, it seems to back me up. Adventurous nobles have some of the best melee stats of any background, the highest resolve bonus of any background (even higher than cultists, monks, and witchhunters), and don't actually come with a penalty to fatigue, they just don't have the bonuses to it that some other backgrounds get.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My best guy is an adventurous noble because he got a good roll on his base and then 3 stars in stamina and melee defense. Un-loving-touchable. I got him for free from an event after raiding an orc camp, though.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ugh.

So I pressed "retire" on an ironman run because I wanted to see the message.. yeah I didn't loving read the notice. Can I retrieve the file anyway?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Broken Cog posted:

I've had some really good Adventurous Nobles, but they're one of those classes I almost always savescum, since they can be really poo poo for their price as well.

Edit: Anyone gotten the unique background you can get from the Bastard event?

This is the assassin, right? I've never seen one.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I got one the one and only time I actually had a decent Bastard.
I don't really remember what his stats were like apart from having low Health. I probably took a screenshot but I doubt I'll find it again.

Night10194 posted:

Adventurous Nobles are the expensive guy I never hire because they're terrible, since almost every one that comes up for me has all the stamina of an asthmatic even if they don't also get asthma. Add onto that a propensity to get shot in the face and I'd rather have a Sellsword.
Adventurous Nobles have completely average Fatigue.
Disowned Nobles are the ones with lovely Fatigue. And lovely Resolve. Disowned Nobles are almost universally complete dumpster fires.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I wish there was a Fire Emblem game that was more like Battle Brothers. I like being able to recover from losing men and having a less story focused experience. When I lose a bro in this game I don’t immediately slam the reset but instead decide whether or not winning the battle at that point would still be worth the loss, considering how quickly I could recover from losing a specific bro, and the costs involved. If the loss is too great I load a save, if it’s acceptable I continue.

Battle Bros kinda fits in between the extremes of XCOM, where all deaths are acceptable and expected, and Fire Emblem, where no deaths are acceptable at any time. Sometimes bros die and sometimes that’s just fine.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Bros with poo poo max fatigue can still be great dedicated backliners. Even with berserk, polearms don't build up a great deal of fatigue, I've found.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Huh, actually got into a fight from a random event, that's pretty rare.

During the Greenskin war, I ran across a goblin stuck in a bear trap, and got the choice to kill him or leave him. I decided to kill him, but his death gargle managed to attract a bunch of Nachzehrers, and forced me into a fight.
Pretty neat, haven't seen that event before. It was a very easy fight, but still.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'll roll the dice on anything, gently caress it. If I'm spending a ton of money on a dude, it's because I want his gear.

Getting a cheap background with a lucky trait or stars or initial roll or all three might completely nullify that background's minuses and give you something special. I've had cripples in my army that were just total champs. You never know unless you try, and the risk/reward heavily favors mediocre backgrounds. (...not necessarily cripples, but Fishermen?)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Affi posted:

Ugh.

So I pressed "retire" on an ironman run because I wanted to see the message.. yeah I didn't loving read the notice. Can I retrieve the file anyway?

Sorry man, you're out of luck.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I always mass hire the dudes who only cost 35.

At that point you're stacking the odds of finding a fairly good dude.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

dogstile posted:

Sorry man, you're out of luck.

Yeah it straight deletes the save file. Only way around that is of you made a back up intentionally.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Loved my crew but some were just built plain wrong.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dogstile posted:

I always mass hire the dudes who only cost 35.

At that point you're stacking the odds of finding a fairly good dude.

Even unto the endgame, I'll hire every brawler and militiaman I see because they're cheap (especially the brawlers) and have a chance to be exceptional.

also I abide by the "only one hedge knight at a time" rule because of that event

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 10, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Affi posted:

Loved my crew but some were just built plain wrong.

Battle Brothers: That Bro Ain't Right

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
drat, the orc crisis is such a pushover once you have 2-3 dedicated greathammer bros.

Are there any strats to simplify the undead crisis?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

drat, the orc crisis is such a pushover once you have 2-3 dedicated greathammer bros.

Greatswords are your friends because they:

- chew through zombie hordes
- let you hit polearm wielding skeletons without waiting to kill the shieldbearers
- let you hit geists before clearing through an entire zombie horde first

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
can we even preorder ths DLC yet or are they just taunting us

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Their website still only lets you buy the base game.

Broken Cog posted:

Greatswords are good because they can reach the Legionaries with pikes, like vyelkin said. And since Ancient Dead stay in formation almost no matter what you can even send greatsword bros around their frontline to lay into the backline with Split. Maces help make that happen, of course.
Two-handed axes are good at breaking through the center because Ancient Dead shields are flimsy and once they're gone Legionaries won't stand up to much. On that note, don't forget that Knock Back cancels Shieldwall. I very rarely use Knock Back so I often forget it even exists but it can be useful.

Also, since Ancient Dead chew through armor and the crisis contracts like to send you to destroy multiple locations or send you to defend a town against waves of undead, having spare armor for your melee bros is important.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Knock Back is actually a really helpful skill to have around. You don't use it too often but it's really helpful for taking high ground.

It's one of those things where if it wasn't just freely attached to an extremely useful piece of gear (shields) I'd probably never pick it up on its own, but since it is, you never know when it's going to save you some trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Even unto the endgame, I'll hire every brawler and militiaman I see because they're cheap (especially the brawlers) and have a chance to be exceptional.

also I abide by the "only one hedge knight at a time" rule because of that event

Just have the brothers break it up. At that point you'll take injury's but nothing you can't just pay to heal.

If i've got more than one Hedge Knight its because i'm rolling in money.

Night10194 posted:

Knock Back is actually a really helpful skill to have around. You don't use it too often but it's really helpful for taking high ground.

Also super good for swamps. Got an enemy 2h user next to a bro? Knock him back a space, they can't attack after moving forward in a swamp.

Is there a good seed for swamp maps? I wanna make a swamp company.