Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endless Mike posted:

No wireless charging, no buys.

Yeah, that's fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Dave posted:

It’s not so black and white though, like you can enjoy having the larger screen/form factor and be okay needing a pop socket to easily reach the top of the screen. A solution doesn’t have to only be smaller phones.

I know, and I know why Apple went with the larger screens only. This has been gone over many times in this thread.

It is kind of humorous from a usability & aesthetic standpoint that Apple, a company built on obsessing over those things, is making cell phone design decisions which are driving people towards buying gaudy glue on knobs to attach to the backs of their cell phones. I guess other companies providing the knobs gives them some plausible deniability?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just did a big, big jump: from the 5S to the XS. Five numbers.

It's a pity. I think they had it right the first time with the smaller screens. The idea that your thumb should be able to comfortably go from corner to corner without much of a stretch. On the XS the center bottom and the top corners are really far. You literally could not do it without shifting your palm. And there are so many things that require that movement. I almost wish all of the phone's UI could be contained in the bottom 2/3 and you'd use the top only for videos or whatnot.

Everything else with the phone, I'm happy with. But this seems so fundamental to me. Why can't you get the latest tech without getting these big rear end screens? Why hasn't somebody put their feet down and done what's right?

I'm also a bit miffed at how heavy the phone is.

It's entirely possible I'm an old fart who just needs to get used to things. But I dunno man. I might say gently caress it and downgrade back to an iPhone 6 or whatever is the latest generation with a reasonable screen size. This might be a dealbreaker.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Vegetable posted:

Everything else with the phone, I'm happy with. But this seems so fundamental to me. Why can't you get the latest tech without getting these big rear end screens? Why hasn't somebody put their feet down and done what's right?

People like larger screens, and larger screens encourage users to use their phone more, buy more data and buy more media subscriptions. Larger phones are also probably easier to design and add more functionality to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

It's a pity. I think they had it right the first time with the smaller screens. The idea that your thumb should be able to comfortably go from corner to corner without much of a stretch. On the XS the center bottom and the top corners are really far. You literally could not do it without shifting your palm. And there are so many things that require that movement. I almost wish all of the phone's UI could be contained in the bottom 2/3 and you'd use the top only for videos or whatnot.

It's entirely possible I'm an old fart who just needs to get used to things. But I dunno man. I might say gently caress it and downgrade back to an iPhone 6 or whatever is the latest generation with a reasonable screen size. This might be a dealbreaker.

The X and XS are about the same size as a 6, but with a taller aspect ratio which makes them marginally easier to use one handed. If you downgrade to a 6 you might find it more cumbersome.

I went from a 6 to a SE because I didn't like the size and then upgraded to an X and have been largely happy with one handed use.

I tried using my wife's 8+ and that thing is a surfboard and I hate it.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I wonder what happened here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/9mk2o7/mri_disabled_every_ios_device_in_facility/

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Vegetable posted:

You might like the SE. I tried upgrading from it to an XS but I find it just too big, like you. I'm returning it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

The X and XS are about the same size as a 6, but with a taller aspect ratio which makes them marginally easier to use one handed. If you downgrade to a 6 you might find it more cumbersome.

I went from a 6 to a SE because I didn't like the size and then upgraded to an X and have been largely happy with one handed use.

I tried using my wife's 8+ and that thing is a surfboard and I hate it.

In terms of absolute measurements, the XS is only about 5% bigger in both dimensions compared to the 6-8 models. So yeah "about the same size."

But in the hand the XS feels monstrous. One handed use is actually a lot harder for me than it used to be because my thumb can't reach across the screen anymore.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol I really shouldn't laugh because its pretty hosed up but I'd love to know what the hell happened?

What chips do the phone and watch share that they could have been fried?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

lol I really shouldn't laugh because its pretty hosed up but I'd love to know what the hell happened?

Secret built in poison pill Tim's been hiding from us.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Networking maybe. Maybe an antenna had just the right length?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

Networking maybe. Maybe an antenna had just the right length?

quote:

Yes, I’m one of the employees who will be receiving a “shiny new device” tomorrow. This whole situation has me very concerned. But to correct something: our TV’s stopped working in the building as well, and a couple laptops in room directly over MRI shut down also.

quote:

So the devices are just dead? No screen at all?

Correct. No signs of life. The GE tech said they should start working after a week. I'd would like his explanation for why they would just stop working only for a week.

:shrug:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hm. Power delivery circuitry? Battery controllers? It sure is weird.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The most plausible theory (to me) in that reddit post is that the magnets quenched while unshielded and sent out a pulse that tripped over voltage safety in the phone.. either wireless charging or the radio antennas. It'd be easy to isolate which one if any of the affected devices didn't have wireless charging.

Curious that it's Apple hardware only though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

Hm. Power delivery circuitry? Battery controllers? It sure is weird.

Yeah it super weird. I'd love to hear the explanation behind it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Vegetable posted:

The thing that kinda surprised me was just how little I’m going to the top of the screen now anyway. Have you been swiping from the left much? With some exceptions—awful still requires you going to the top of the screen—the interfaces seem to be requiring it less and less.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

xzzy posted:

The most plausible theory (to me) in that reddit post is that the magnets quenched while unshielded and sent out a pulse that tripped over voltage safety in the phone.. either wireless charging or the radio antennas. It'd be easy to isolate which one if any of the affected devices didn't have wireless charging.

Curious that it's Apple hardware only though.

I like this guys explanation better:

quote:

It's definitely the helium.

The processor in a modern, high volume device typically has its main clock driven by what's known as a MEMS oscillator. These are barely visible mechanical systems that resonate at some designed frequency, and include packaging to convert this resonance into a useful electrical clock signal. These devices are extraordinarily cheap ways to produce a steady clock, but they have a number of drawbacks. Most relevant, in order for these types of devices to function properly, the mechanical resonator must be inside a tiny hermetically sealed chamber with either a controlled gas inside or a vacuum, as the gas composition in the chamber can affect the output frequency.

For both cost and physics reasons, these hermetic seals are not perfect, and are somewhat commonly permeable to small atomic gasses such as helium. From the SiTime website (a major manufacturer of computer clocks):

snip

While this description is not a slam dunk, without hard numbers and the statement "not designed to seal against He", you can pretty much guarantee their clocks leak when exposed to unnaturally rich helium atmospheres.

Here's a paper that goes over a handful of different electronic devices helium susceptibilities, with a section on MEMS resonators: https://file.scirp.org/pdf/JST_2013122009560886.pdf
For this specific case, Apple devices probably share a common family of MEMS resonator to reduce manufacturing costs. This clock likely leaks in helium rich atmospheres, pushing the output frequency outside of the bounds that the main processors are designed to handle, rendering them non-functional. If left idle long enough, the devices may begin to function again, but depending on the concentration of helium which leaked in, this could take anywhere from weeks to years to occur in natural atmosphere and temperatures.
Source: former sysadmin turned electronics engineer

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Agronox posted:

The thing that kinda surprised me was just how little I’m going to the top of the screen now anyway. Have you been swiping from the left much? With some exceptions—awful still requires you going to the top of the screen—the interfaces seem to be requiring it less and less.
I love the swiping. But the big exception is the control center, which I use a lot. What was the point of bumping it up there? Makes no sense to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I like this guys explanation better:

Yeah it was an interesting read and probably an worth investigating but to me it seems like a lot of helium would have to be released really fast to pull it off and given that no one suffocated during the incident or talked high pitched the plausibility goes down.

It does make me want to try putting my iphone in a helium balloon and see what happens though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vegetable posted:

This was actually an advertisement at one point, probably around the time of the iPhone 4S, when Android phones were turning into phablets, and Apple was sticking to their guns with the "tiny" screen. It was just a clip of someone holding an iPhone in one hand and comfortably reaching every corner of the screen with their thumb.

I do kinda miss that; I have average-sized hands, and the 7+ I had last year was just a touch too unwieldy for me. The X I have now is alright enough, but swiping down from the top for notifications is a real stretch, and Control Center is a two-handed operation. Putting that in the upper right corner is just hosed up.

If iPhones ever get to the point of being the size of the XS Max by default, I'm just gonna stop upgrading until hardware failure forces my hand. My roommate is kinda stuck in this predicament now, as she has especially small hands, and was really hoping for a successor to the SE. She didn't even like the size of the 6S I had before the 7+.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I have an X and it should be smaller to be perfect, peak iPhone was the 5S

https://sharecuts.app/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

So how did the people who have an XS already get theirs? I preordered mine via T-Mobile the day it was available and I still haven't gotten mine

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I preordered via the app to pick up at an Apple store and got it on launch day. Only way to buy an iphone imo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

So how did the people who have an XS already get theirs? I preordered mine via T-Mobile the day it was available and I still haven't gotten mine
Probably ordered from Apple or a different carrier or earlier. Alternatively, they bought one in-store.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rex-Goliath posted:

I walked into a Verizon store on Day 2.

They were out of white 64's but still had black and gold units.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah the phones seemed to have good supply unless you wanted a 512GB model.

The series 4, however...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

64 gig gold was available for me same day as ordered last week. From t-mobile.

They may have run out of the 512s though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah the phones seemed to have good supply unless you wanted a 512GB model.

Guess I'm gonna be waiting a while :v:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Rex-Goliath posted:

Ordered it through the Apple Store app on my phone 30 minutes after they went on sale. Got it on release day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If I ever write a spy novel or a CSI script I'm definitely having a bunch of phones knocked out via clown helium supply accident.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PopSocket people - do you use your phones regularly with them flat down on a desk? I can take the camera bump, but it feels like having something else on the back would make it rock back and forth during use and would be quite annoying. If not, I'm kinda interested as they're obviously popular for a reason.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rick posted:

If I ever write a spy novel or a CSI script I'm definitely having a bunch of phones knocked out via clown helium supply accident.

This week on NCIS you won't believe what happens...

EL BROMANCE posted:

PopSocket people - do you use your phones regularly with them flat down on a desk? I can take the camera bump, but it feels like having something else on the back would make it rock back and forth during use and would be quite annoying. If not, I'm kinda interested as they're obviously popular for a reason.

Oh no once you have the PopSocket the phone never leaves your hand so its not an issue.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

enojy posted:

This was actually an advertisement at one point, probably around the time of the iPhone 4S, when Android phones were turning into phablets, and Apple was sticking to their guns with the "tiny" screen. It was just a clip of someone holding an iPhone in one hand and comfortably reaching every corner of the screen with their thumb.

I do kinda miss that; I have average-sized hands, and the 7+ I had last year was just a touch too unwieldy for me. The X I have now is alright enough, but swiping down from the top for notifications is a real stretch, and Control Center is a two-handed operation. Putting that in the upper right corner is just hosed up.

If iPhones ever get to the point of being the size of the XS Max by default, I'm just gonna stop upgrading until hardware failure forces my hand. My roommate is kinda stuck in this predicament now, as she has especially small hands, and was really hoping for a successor to the SE. She didn't even like the size of the 6S I had before the 7+.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99m7lebirE

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasn't there some big internet rage about how they faked that by filming with someone that had extremely large hands?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

xzzy posted:

Wasn't there some big internet rage about how they faked that by filming with someone that had extremely large hands?
It wouldn't surprise me (the internet rage part), but completely average hands should be able to easily reach every corner of a 5/5S/SE style display.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Actually the pop socket can be positioned so your phone is at a ~15degree angle and is solid and doesn't rock because of the camera bump.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

Actually the pop socket can be positioned so your phone is at a ~15degree angle and is solid and doesn't rock because of the camera bump.

That might actually help with the angle for Face ID when I eventually upgrade too then. Looks like I'm on my way to becoming one of the cool kids.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I miss setting my phone on my desk and unlocking it by touching it. That was a magical feeling. Now I have to lift the thing to look at my face and do a swipey action. How have things improved at all.

Day one of skipping five generations of iPhones continues to go poorly.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just got an iPhone 8. What’s the recommended wireless charger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nwin posted:

Just got an iPhone 8. What�s the recommended wireless charger?

Anker or Samsung