Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The suspect's name? George Soros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Shear Modulus posted:

conservative intellectuals have always been a total sham

Let this man tell you why gay people are bad, traditional gender norms are needed, Christianity is needed for freedom from sex and thus demons and how Satan caused Anthony Bourdain to kill himself. Intellectualism at it's finest!!

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/the-shrink-who-assists-exorcists/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pancakes posted:

:thermidor: and all, but get an exercise bike (I recommend magnetic resistance so you minimize noise in case of neighbors) and a tablet and then shitpost while biking. Easy 45-90 minutes of cardio daily there. I guess also stream poo poo if C-SPAM doesn�t sustain you.

when I lived in a place with a gym I would treadmill 6 or 7 miles worth of anime every day

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mormonpartyboat posted:

tho in the original HCA story shrek was uncircumcised

that's just an urban legend

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Why did Haely get pushed out?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

also sitcoms

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Xaris posted:

wait the party that advocates lead brain damage and can't critically think or do anything, and has been advocating return to slavery and indentured servitude, women as inferior beings, and phrenology for the last 100+ years is a sham?

n..noo....i can't believe it how could this have happened??

And yet if you read conservative reddits, they say th ed exact same thing about leftists. Really makes you think...

*Pours another glass of whiskey*

Really makes you think...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bari weiss is definitely more dishonest than stupid

cilizza is definitely stupid

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Rah! posted:

POOP

(punch oall ougly pnazis)

a pnazi sounds like some sort of italian dish

eh, gimme a pnazi ovah heah

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

tenderjerk posted:

yall rmemeber when bari's little sister didn't get into the schools she wanted and so she got a WSJ op-ed space handed to her to complain about it

no lol, did she blame the blacks?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
cilizza is dumb as rocks. he's an incredible indictment of modern society

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sloppo posted:

i just... i don't understand

how do you make a career out of writing or speaking about political or intellectual things with brazen confidence

and then be like "oh geez i guess i was wrong. prob shouldve done the reading"

who are these people? what are they like in the rest of their lives??

Brazen confidence is literally one of the big parts of creating a writing and speaking career out of almost nothing. The facts don't matter as much as sounding as confidently correct as possible and presenting them in a way that readers will like.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

the un laughed at TRUMP

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Trump found out she's not white

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Al! posted:

What does your heart say?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Flavius Aetass posted:

chill
chillara
chilzza

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!

MysteriousStranger posted:

Let this man tell you why gay people are bad, traditional gender norms are needed, Christianity is needed for freedom from sex and thus demons and how Satan caused Anthony Bourdain to kill himself. Intellectualism at it's finest!!

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/the-shrink-who-assists-exorcists/

this is why i miss jindal, i don't think we have a national "you literally have demons inside your body and im going get those demons out" conservative in this vein anymore :negative:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

being incredibly stupid is a big plus if you want to be a talking head because anyone with two brain cells to rub together would have the urge to interrogate the pile of bullshit that you have to print to get ahead. start asking questions and your job will go to someone who wont

the two ways to become a pundit are to be incredibly stupid or incredibly dishonest
remidns me of the mid 2000s handwringing of daily show where the (very rare) occurrence in which a neocon went on with stewart he'd just throw dumb softballs. and then post justification was "well if he was too mean to them they wouldn't go on the show! / wouldn't get invited to interviews"

like yeah no poo poo but dont give them free aire time to begin wtih then

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

another incredibly dumb pundit is benny johnson

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The secret to a six pack better be doing situps while holding a bigass weight or I'm in loving agony for nothing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lmao i read the essay and oh boy is it fuckin racist and homophobic

For starters, had I known two years ago what I know now, I would have gladly worn a headdress to school. Show me to any closet, and I would've happily come out of it. "Diversity!" I offer about as much diversity as a saltine cracker. If it were up to me, I would've been any of the diversities: Navajo, Pacific Islander, anything. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, I salute you and your 1/32 Cherokee heritage.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

mlb.tv condensed games LIKE THEY USED TO HAVE were also very good for cardio stuff

speaking of which there are $60 tix for the yankssox game tonight, shameful yankee fans

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

And the other good one, from the great pages of The New York Times, take it away Ross Douthat! (this quote is a classic)

One successful foray ended on the guest bed of a high school friend’s parents, with a girl who resembled a chunkier Reese Witherspoon drunkenly masticating my neck and cheeks. It had taken some time to reach this point–”Do most Harvard guys take so long to get what they want?” she had asked, pushing her tongue into my mouth. I wasn’t sure what to say, but then I wasn’t sure this was what I wanted. My throat was dry from too much vodka, and her breasts, spilling out of pink pajamas, threatened my ability to. I was supposed to be excited, but I was bored and somewhat disgusted with myself, with her, with the whole business… and then whatever residual enthusiasm I felt for the venture dissipated, with shocking speed, as she nibbled at my ear and whispered–”You know, I’m on the pill…”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Eliminating the evidence I guess.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!

Al! posted:

i dont think so, but i think she blamed every other race?

e:

quote:

If only I had a tiger mom or started a fake charity.

By Suzy Lee Weiss

March 29, 2013 6:31 p.m. ET

Like me, millions of high-school seniors with sour grapes are asking themselves this week how they failed to get into the colleges of their dreams. It's simple: For years, they�we�were lied to.

Colleges tell you, "Just be yourself." That is great advice, as long as yourself has nine extracurriculars, six leadership positions, three varsity sports, killer SAT scores and two moms. Then by all means, be yourself! If you work at a local pizza shop and are the slowest person on the cross-country team, consider taking your business elsewhere.

What could I have done differently over the past years?

For starters, had I known two years ago what I know now, I would have gladly worn a headdress to school. Show me to any closet, and I would've happily come out of it. "Diversity!" I offer about as much diversity as a saltine cracker. If it were up to me, I would've been any of the diversities: Navajo, Pacific Islander, anything. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, I salute you and your 1/32 Cherokee heritage.

I also probably should have started a fake charity. Providing veterinary services for homeless people's pets. Collecting donations for the underprivileged chimpanzees of the Congo. Raising awareness for Chapped-Lips-in-the-Winter Syndrome. Fun-runs, dance-a-thons, bake sales�as long as you're using someone else's misfortunes to try to propel yourself into the Ivy League, you're golden.

Having a tiger mom helps, too. As the youngest of four daughters, I noticed long ago that my parents gave up on parenting me. It has been great in certain ways: Instead of "Be home by 11," it's "Don't wake us up when you come through the door, we're trying to sleep." But my parents also left me with a dearth of hobbies that make admissions committees salivate. I've never sat down at a piano, never plucked a violin. Karate lasted about a week and the swim team didn't last past the first lap. Why couldn't Amy Chua have adopted me as one of her cubs?

Then there was summer camp. I should've done what I knew was best�go to Africa, scoop up some suffering child, take a few pictures, and write my essays about how spending that afternoon with Kinto changed my life. Because everyone knows that if you don't have anything difficult going on in your own life, you should just hop on a plane so you're able to talk about what other people have to deal with.

Or at least hop to an internship. Get a precocious-sounding title to put on your resume. "Assistant Director of Mail Services." "Chairwoman of Coffee Logistics." I could have been a gopher in the office of someone I was related to. Work experience!

To those kids who by age 14 got their doctorate, cured a disease, or discovered a guilt-free brownie recipe: My parents make me watch your "60 Minutes" segments, and they've clipped your newspaper articles for me to read before bed. You make us mere mortals look bad. (Also, I am desperately jealous and willing to pay a lot to learn your secrets.)

To those claiming that I am bitter�you bet I am! An underachieving selfish teenager making excuses for her own failures? That too! To those of you disgusted by this, shocked that I take for granted the wonderful gifts I have been afforded, I say shhhh�"The Real Housewives" is on.

Ms. Weiss is a senior at Taylor Allderdice High School in Pittsburgh.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Did whoever this is wear a robe to work?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

tenderjerk posted:

i dont think so, but i think she blamed every other race?

e:

i didnt get into my first choice school because asians and native americans exist, by the nazi lover's sister

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Xaris posted:

remidns me of the mid 2000s handwringing of daily show where the (very rare) occurrence in which a neocon went on with stewart he'd just throw dumb softballs. and then post justification was "well if he was too mean to them they wouldn't go on the show! / wouldn't get invited to interviews"

they'd still have gone on because daily show and colbert had an essentially total monopoly on their incredibly valuable and otherwise generally unreachable demographic

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!

Xaris posted:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

tenderjerk posted:

this is why i miss jindal, i don't think we have a national "you literally have demons inside your body and im going get those demons out" conservative in this vein anymore :negative:

Wait till Trump gets to fill RBGs seat on the court.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Thoguh posted:

My understanding is that when the big cargo ships are out to sea the stuff they burn is basically one step above tar and that's a big reason they pollute so much.

"Bunker fuel is the generic term given to any fuel poured into a ship's bunkers to power its engines. Deepsea cargo ships typically burn the heavy, residual oil left over after gasoline, diesel and other light hydrocarbons are extracted from crude oil during the refining process."

TRUM :smugdon:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

and then whatever residual enthusiasm I felt for the venture dissipated, with shocking speed, as she nibbled at my ear and whispered��You know, I�m on the pill��[/i]

:eyepop:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
A good cardio workout is eating as many plates of Chinese buffet as you can before you become short of breath.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

The secret to a six pack better be doing situps while holding a bigass weight or I'm in loving agony for nothing

the secret to a six pack is going to the 7-11 and spending 11 bucks you dinguses

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

burn every pundit

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

tenderjerk posted:

If Pence ever becomes president I'm sure that a lot of them will come crawling out of the woodwork

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Douthat only wants to gently caress Buckley, not some chunky witherspoon

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inspector Hound posted:

The secret is to take $6.00 to the AM PM and leave with a six pack

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
lmaomerica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

A good cardio workout is eating as many plates of Chinese buffet as you can before you become short of breath.

Solid advice because the knock on effects of sweating on the shitter.

• Locked thread