Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

what is the purpose behind the microsoft line of computers? is it just to show the work that if you throw resources and a thimble of passion behind something you can get not terrible laptops?

nah, that was the point of the Microsoft Signature Experience or whatever they called it, where they took PCs from HP or whomever and removed all the preinstalled garbage to demonstrate that it was possible for already existing PCs to not be terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fiedler posted:

encourages oem r&d in the windows device ecosystem. might some day grow into a real consumer brand.

a hardware rep from dell straight-up said they started making MS Surface knock-offs because their customers kept asking for them

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
microsoft force feedback pro joystick was badass as gently caress. 13 years old and my video games now jolt the joystick when my battlemech takes a hit or my spaceship fires missiles? gently caress. yes.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Microsoft's best hardware to date

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lambert posted:

100%

mine is 19 years old. i have three others in a drawer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lambert posted:

I had 3 of these and the scroll wheel rubber broke down eventually

the logitech mx anywhere is the closest I've found since for symmetrical feel

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

Lambert posted:

I bought one of these at a flea market about 18 years ago and I am still using it right now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

100%

mine is 19 years old. i have three others in a drawer

lost mine in divorce

also cats

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwfoyoEJt5s

I had one of these as a kid, it still makes my wrists hurt just thinking about it.

It was horrid. Extreme banana shape and slightly rotated directional pad. Motion controls are the worst.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

syscall girl posted:

lost mine in divorce

also cats

gently caress :(

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

syscall girl posted:

lost mine in divorce

also cats

drat, that mouse must have hated you

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
good news everyone, windows 10 october 2018 update (version 1809) is in its second phase of qa https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/09/updated-version-of-windows-10-october-2018-update-released-to-windows-insiders/

quote:

Prior to re-releasing the October 2018 Update our engineering investigation determined that a very small number of users lost files during the October 2018 Update. This occurred if Known Folder Redirection (KFR) had been previously enabled, but files remain in the original “old” folder location vs being moved to the new, redirected location. KFR is the process of redirecting the known folders of Windows including Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Screenshots, Videos, Camera Roll, etc. from the default folder location, c:\users\username\<folder name>, to a new folder location. In previous feedback from the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, users with KFR reported an extra, empty copy of Known Folders on their device. Based on feedback from users, we introduced code in the October 2018 Update to remove these empty, duplicate known folders. That change, combined with another change to the update construction sequence, resulted in the deletion of the original “old” folder locations and their content, leaving only the new “active” folder intact. Accordingly, below are the issues we have identified and fixed:

• Using KFR the user redirected a known folder to a different drive. For example, suppose you ran out of space on your C drive. You want to save some files separate from your primary folder, so you add another drive to your system for these. You create “D:\documents” and change the location of the files known folder from the original “old” location c:\users\username\documents to D:\documents. In some cases, if the contents of c:\users\username\documents were not moved to D:\documents, then a user could also encounter this issue. When the October 2018 Update was installed the original “old” folder was deleted including the files in that folder (in this example c:\users\username\documents would be deleted; d:\documents, the new location, would be preserved).
  • The user configured one or more of their Known Folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Screenshots, Videos, Camera Roll, etc.) to be redirected (KFR) to another folder on OneDrive. For example, the user changed the location property of the documents folder from c:\users\username\documents to another folder. During this process the system prompts the user and asks if they would like to move the files to the new location. If the files were not moved and the October 2018 Update is installed the original “old” folder was deleted including the files in that folder.
  • The user used an early version of the OneDrive client and used the OneDrive settings to turn on the Auto save feature. This feature turned on KFR for the Documents and/or Pictures folders based on the user’s choice but did not move the existing files from the original “old” location to the new location. For example, if a user turned on Auto Save for pictures the location of the Pictures folder would be changed from c:\users\username\pictures to c:\users\username\onedrive\pictures, but no files would be moved. The current version of this feature moves the files. If the files were not moved and the October 2018 Update was installed the original “old” folder was deleted including the files in that folder (in this example c:\users\username\pictures would be deleted; c:\users\username\onedrive\pictures, the new location, would be preserved).
We have fully investigated these issues and developed solutions that resolve all three of these scenarios, so the “original” old folder location and its contents remain intact.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 10, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants posted:

good news everyone, windows 10 october 2018 update (version 1809) is in its first phase of qa

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

amazing

what possible reason was the cause for that change? why delete stuff at all? did people feel that the directory tree was getting unsightly or something?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tbf it is confusing if you open your user folder and you see two or more sets of each folder, because they're displayed with the exact same name and no indication of whether they're actually in that folder or redirected

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

of course there are better solutions than just deleting poo poo, gently caress, you could just rename the "old" one and pull the desktop.ini file so explorer displays the folder name

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
This whole windows 10 sounds like a good drat clown show. It upsets me because I truly love windows 7.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

this update was in beta for at least six months, msft and apple both have public-facing and constant betas.

so for some inexplicable reason that folder deletion code was left out of the betas and only put in the production version and ????????????????????

i have a solution, gentlemen: if there's any files in those folders present the user with the fact that there's files there, and give them an option to clear it out, duplicate it into the new folders and clear it out, or do nothing.

MacOS Sierra had a similar issue where the new APFS file system converter broke and deleted entire drives but that was in the developer beta so it's far more excusable then dumping apparently untested code on the masses despite having idiots sign up to test for free.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 10, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i checked my work computer by the way, and upgrade spawned like 6 extra user profile folders, 2 bogus and 4 tmp.bogus

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

SRQ posted:

this update was in beta for at least six months, msft and apple both have public-facing and constant betas.

so for some inexplicable reason that folder deletion code was left out of the betas and only put in the production version and ????????????????????

i have a solution, gentlemen: if there's any files in those folders present the user with the fact that there's files there, and give them an option to clear it out, duplicate it into the new folders and clear it out, or do nothing.

MacOS Sierra had a similar issue where the new APFS file system converter broke and deleted entire drives but that was in the developer beta so it's far more excusable then dumping apparently untested code on the masses despite having idiots sign up to test for free.

“eats your hard drive” is what you’re supposed to expect from a beta os (also from a btrfs). not so much a GA patch

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Soldier of Fortran posted:

amazing

what possible reason was the cause for that change? why delete stuff at all? did people feel that the directory tree was getting unsightly or something?

yes

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i checked my work computer by the way, and upgrade spawned like 6 extra user profile folders, 2 bogus and 4 tmp.bogus

lol :allears:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soldier of Fortran posted:

amazing

yeah, the worst loving impulse, so incredibly common among programmers, changing things or taking programmatic actions to improve the ~aesthetics~ of something abstract and invisible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it deffo started the profile process multiple times, which matched what cinci was describing when it ate his files

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

it deffo started the profile process multiple times, which matched what cinci was describing when it ate his files

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

grey fill is user name, blue fill is machine name

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Microsoft working overtime to bring the linux experience to windows

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
isnt the intention of the .000 additions to increment the number in place for new ones, instead of successively appending .001 and .002? :allears:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lysidas posted:

isnt the intention of the .000 additions to increment the number in place for new ones, instead of successively appending .001 and .002? :allears:

:thunk:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

is the classic intellimouse (2018) any good

e:??? it's a loving mouse satya

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 10, 2018

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it's because Mac only supports mice with a single button hth

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

is the classic intellimouse (2018) any good

e:??? it's a loving mouse satya

does it come with a PS/2 connector adapter? :ohdear:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Any Intellimouse that's not made of white plastic is haram.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

why are they only listing up to 10.10??

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

why are they only listing up to 10.10??

they can't afford a mac which supports a more recent version of macos

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

if the .net monthly update rollups are actually rollups, why does windows update try to install two or more of them sequentially

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Microsoft working overtime to bring the linux experience to windows
complete with the release every 6 months whether actually ready or not experience of ubuntu

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if the .net monthly update rollups are actually rollups, why does windows update try to install two or more of them sequentially

because gently caress you, that's why.

likewise why windows update will occasionally decide to install monthly security/feature update rollups sequentially if you've somehow prevented it from updating for more than one patch cycle.

either microsoft doesn't know what words mean or windows update is dogshit garbage. (or, you know, both)

yeah, this is exactly what you'd see if the process restarted five times, with really really lovely error handling. the default method of creating profile folders is to append the PC/domain name (depending on local or AD account), then start appending numbers, if an existing folder with that name attached to another SID is found.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

if you have .net 2/3.5 and 4/4.x installed they are separate frameworks so they should have separate patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

if you have .net 2/3.5 and 4/4.x installed they are separate frameworks so they should have separate patches.

nope, it tried to install the Sept and Oct rollups for 4.whatever sequentially