Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
After posting build potential and learning about the glory of Xeon and whatnot, I ended up ordering this. What's SOP for cramming it full of hard drives nowadays? Is there a go-to shucking option?

(I'm probably going to use unRaid after the conversation on the last few pages, or maybe just Ubuntu + ZFS because I'm already blowing money on hardware and disks. :shrug:)

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Atomizer posted:

Part of the issue with shucking is that you're not 100% certain what drive is inside (which is even more of an issue when ordering online because even though you may get a good price with a deal, you can't even look at the info on the box to take a guess what's inside before opening it,) and those 8 TB Easystores can have like 3-4 different drives last time I checked. Then you may run into that obnoxious 3.3v issue on top of that.

Meh, the drives in Easystores are either reds or white label versions of reds that work the same after the tape mod.

Enos Cabell posted:

I found this site that someone posted upthread https://www.serverbuilds.net/anniversary

Thinking maybe I'll price out a build like that, seems like it wouldn't be too much more than the i3 build I was considering.

I put together a 1366-based build put together by the same guy, and I wish I had jumped in on this one instead. I don't actually have a vital use case, but I figure there is nothing bad about having extra compute at my disposal.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey everyone, so I’m a home user with a NAS. My primary focus is my photo directory but I also store my documents and some movies there.

Besides backblaze off site backup, what would be best practices to protect my photos and backup?

1. A mini 1 Bay NAS just for photos and documents? Double points if it’s mirrors into another physical location.

2. USB attachment backup for photos nightly?

I just dread dealing with a baclblaze or restore which takes forever

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

caberham posted:

Hey everyone, so I’m a home user with a NAS. My primary focus is my photo directory but I also store my documents and some movies there.

Besides backblaze off site backup, what would be best practices to protect my photos and backup?

1. A mini 1 Bay NAS just for photos and documents? Double points if it’s mirrors into another physical location.

2. USB attachment backup for photos nightly?

I just dread dealing with a baclblaze or restore which takes forever

The more important/irreplaceable a given file is, the better the backup solution needs to be, in terms of number of copies and geographic isolation. In your case, you'd probably be fine with two steps:
- an external drive (or as many as are necessary) for a 2nd copy on-site.
- a 3rd party provider like Backblaze for a 3rd copy, just in case.
The external drives contain your primary backups, and if something catastrophic like a fire occurs then that's when you would rely on the Backblaze restoration.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
My home videos, movies and teevee shows currently sit on my big, power-thirsty PC, which is directly plugged into my TV. I'm currently using Emby as a sort of fancy wrapper for watching the videos, rather than for its media server capabilities. However, this is something of a waste.

So, I'd like to invest in a NAS to serve up my videos to my TV, by throwing them straight to a Chromecast over my network. I'd like something that doesn't use a lot of power, first and foremost - naturally I'm not going to be watching all day and all night, so something that sits on standby and spins up as needed is fine.

My second point probably contradicts the first: some of these videos, home videos in particular, are ancient DVD rips (remember when camcorders briefly recorded straight to DVD?), so the codecs, containers etc. are all over the place. So, there's probably going to be some transcoding needed, which I understand needs horsepower and, thus, power usage.

I don't have any issue with spending a few weekends with Handbrake - it's probably overdue at this point anyway - so I'd prioritise power usage over horsepower, but naturally if I can have my cake and eat it that'd be great. Right now I'm looking at a bog-standard Synology DS218play, as it's apparently built for media streaming/transcoding and there's an Emby package available for the Synology platform - but if the thread has any advice I'm all ears.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Depending upon storage amount needs using AWS Glacier or Google Cloud Storage with cold tier storage are decent options for backups (their intended use cases). It should amount to maybe a couple dollars / month and if you need much more and trust that they can restore your data (there’s some folks reporting issues) Backblaze is basically the only game left for consumer backups that are economical.

I’m generally against transcoding compressed media to other compressed media and would instead recommend keeping copies of software that you know plays it and to occasionally check for software incompatibility down the road (notorious on Macs, somewhat less of an issue on Windows). Like the old codec packs from CCCP, old VLC versions, etc. are a bigger problem for preserving stuff than the actual media.

Although I guess if you’re a weirdo and don’t care too much about video quality you can upload it to YouTube for free and make it private.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

spincube posted:

I don't have any issue with spending a few weekends with Handbrake - it's probably overdue at this point anyway - so I'd prioritise power usage over horsepower, but naturally if I can have my cake and eat it that'd be great. Right now I'm looking at a bog-standard Synology DS218play, as it's apparently built for media streaming/transcoding and there's an Emby package available for the Synology platform - but if the thread has any advice I'm all ears.
It really sounds like the 218play would take care of everything that you need it to. IMHO, Synology makes the best consumer-grade NAS. They're easy to set up, pretty powerful, and relatively inexpensive. However, I'd recommend that you look into the differences between the 218play and the 218+.

As for caberham: A 1-bay Synology NAS can automatically backup to Google Cloud, which is very nice, and winds up costing only a couple of dollars per month.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

caberham posted:

Make your important stuff be a different B2 target. Set up versioning in B2 to keep 30-90 days of it. This way if a virus deletes them all B2 doesn't dutifully delete them all as well.

In general this won't cause much extra cost but should provide a lot of extra protection.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Everything is up and running on the bench now, pretty amazing how smooth everything went. Flashed the on board LSI SAS controller, taped and blanked drives, and booted up to UnRAID. Now I get to sit and wait 11 hours for parity drive to finish up before I can start copying my data over.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks a lot guys for the help, guess I will have a one bay synology set up in my moms house and load to google cloud as off site.

And on site would a spare USB HDD.

I’m a little confused by the virus time delay thingy, sorry.

H110Hawk posted:

Make your important stuff be a different B2 target. Set up versioning in B2 to keep 30-90 days of it. This way if a virus deletes them all B2 doesn't dutifully delete them all as well.

In general this won't cause much extra cost but should provide a lot of extra protection.

Sorry I have trouble understanding this post

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

caberham posted:

How are you going Synology -> Backblaze? Is it via a desktop backblaze desktop backup client or via Synology's integration with Backblaze B2?

If it's the latter log in to B2, find your bucket, click "Lifecycle Rules", set "Keep Versions: Last 30 days." (or whatever)

If it's their main client backup system I forget exactly how it does that, it might be automatic: https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217665868-Restoring-Deleted-or-Previous-Versions-of-Files

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Cabell posted:

Everything is up and running on the bench now, pretty amazing how smooth everything went. Flashed the on board LSI SAS controller, taped and blanked drives, and booted up to UnRAID. Now I get to sit and wait 11 hours for parity drive to finish up before I can start copying my data over.

Thats hot. :gizz:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I love double CPU computers.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

spincube posted:

My home videos, movies and teevee shows currently sit on my big, power-thirsty PC, which is directly plugged into my TV. I'm currently using Emby as a sort of fancy wrapper for watching the videos, rather than for its media server capabilities. However, this is something of a waste.

So, I'd like to invest in a NAS to serve up my videos to my TV, by throwing them straight to a Chromecast over my network. I'd like something that doesn't use a lot of power, first and foremost - naturally I'm not going to be watching all day and all night, so something that sits on standby and spins up as needed is fine.

My second point probably contradicts the first: some of these videos, home videos in particular, are ancient DVD rips (remember when camcorders briefly recorded straight to DVD?), so the codecs, containers etc. are all over the place. So, there's probably going to be some transcoding needed, which I understand needs horsepower and, thus, power usage.

I use Plex instead of Emby, but for exactly what you want to do. You can set up a PMS on literally any spare PC or laptop; I have mine currently on a SFF HP EliteDesk. However, you can also get a dedicated NAS box to do the same thing; I just got an WD MyCloud Pro PR4100 (the 2-bay version is the PR2100) and it uses hardware transcoding (Intel QuickSync) to handle those needs for PMS (there's a dedicated branch for this NAS.) It works beautifully (exactly like a PC-based PMS implementation although I'm still only just starting to around with it.) It uses a 90 W adapter (you can actually plug in a 2nd one for redundancy) although I'm sure it uses far less power than that most of the time, and the PR2100 IIRC has a 48 W supply.

I transcoded all of my DVD rips to HEVC (although AVC would also suffice) using Handbrake which chops down the file size to about half, and I strongly recommend doing this as the default MPEG-1/2 is very inefficient compared to modern codecs.

necrobobsledder posted:

I’m generally against transcoding compressed media to other compressed media and would instead recommend keeping copies of software that you know plays it and to occasionally check for software incompatibility down the road (notorious on Macs, somewhat less of an issue on Windows). Like the old codec packs from CCCP, old VLC versions, etc. are a bigger problem for preserving stuff than the actual media.

Although I guess if you’re a weirdo and don’t care too much about video quality you can upload it to YouTube for free and make it private.

Your point about lossy transcoding is well taken, however as long as you're not going back and forth between codecs for no reason it's a good idea to do a one-time transcode to a more universal format, as above.

Using Youtube for non-commercial stuff (i.e. DVD rips, torrented TV shows, etc.) is a good idea, because you're accomplishing the same thing (streaming video over the Internet from somewhere, be it your own home or not) and then it become's Youtube's problem to manage the storage and backup.

caberham posted:

I’m a little confused by the virus time delay thingy, sorry.

The idea is, if you have a backup setup to keep a copy of drive A on drive B, it will reflect any deletions or hostile encryptions (i.e. from hijacking malware) on drive A so you can lose everything on both drives. This is why you don't immediately want your backup to delete or change files on drive B so you have time to rectify any errors on drive A. (This is kind of why the Recycle Bin is useful instead of all deletions being permanent immediately.)

dexefiend posted:

I love double CPU computers.

Now that's loving gorgeous! :swoon:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Using Youtube for non-commercial stuff (i.e. DVD rips, torrented TV shows, etc.) is a good idea, because you're accomplishing the same thing (streaming video over the Internet from somewhere, be it your own home or not) and then it become's Youtube's problem to manage the storage and backup.

I would never trust Youtube as the only copy of data, nor with any data I wouldn't want literally anyone to access in case someone found and distributed the link, but that's not a bad idea for videos that fall into that category.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah I mean as I've said the more important something is the more copies you should have, but if it's not particularly vital or sensitive then having someone else host it is the way to go.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap PCIe 1x SATA card that is known to work in OpenIndiana or other Illumos distros? I need at least 2 ports, but 4 would be even better. Performance isn't really a concern. I have been through the HCL but it is primarily SAS RAID HBAs. I was looking at this, but can't seem to find anyone who has it working on Illumos or Solaris, but plenty of people using it on linux / BSD. Any thoughts on this card, or a similar suggestion?

https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Con...GPMK3F4KANX56P4

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, if I'd have known how powerful and easy to setup an UnRAID / Plex Server combo was I'd have done this years ago! Pretty awesome to be able to serve up multiple concurrent 10mbit 1080p streams out over the internet, my close friends and family are about to get a whole lot happier.

e: granted, years ago I didn't have the gigabit fiber connection that makes that sharing possible

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

adorai posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap PCIe 1x SATA card that is known to work in OpenIndiana or other Illumos distros? I need at least 2 ports, but 4 would be even better. Performance isn't really a concern. I have been through the HCL but it is primarily SAS RAID HBAs. I was looking at this, but can't seem to find anyone who has it working on Illumos or Solaris, but plenty of people using it on linux / BSD. Any thoughts on this card, or a similar suggestion?

https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Con...GPMK3F4KANX56P4

I don't have a specific suggestion but you can fit a larger than 1x card into a 1x slot one of two ways. 1) use an extender cable that goes from 1x to whatever size the card you want has 2) if your slot doesn't have a back then the larger one will just fit in; you can always remove the material yourself but you do risk destroying the board.

I know you said that performance isn't a factor, but do consider that PCIE 1x is 250MB/s in each direction. With even 2 hard drives attached you're going to be pushing up against that, so depending on your needs it might be better to juggle around elsewhere (eg if you have a vid card occupying a 8x or 16x slot, use the HBA on one of those and throw the graphics card on the 1x).

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Raldikuk posted:

I don't have a specific suggestion but you can fit a larger than 1x card into a 1x slot one of two ways. 1) use an extender cable that goes from 1x to whatever size the card you want has 2) if your slot doesn't have a back then the larger one will just fit in; you can always remove the material yourself but you do risk destroying the board.

I know you said that performance isn't a factor, but do consider that PCIE 1x is 250MB/s in each direction. With even 2 hard drives attached you're going to be pushing up against that, so depending on your needs it might be better to juggle around elsewhere (eg if you have a vid card occupying a 8x or 16x slot, use the HBA on one of those and throw the graphics card on the 1x).
The motherboard I am using has exactly 1 1x slot, no other slots.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Then yeah if you're concerned about guaranteed support, your best bet is to just run a known-good card on the 1x slot anyway. Either dremel it or stick it on a 1x-16x riser and figure out a way for it to not be a total clusterfuck. I did the latter at one point.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, I need a static IP and it looks like that's going to be a bigger hassle to get from my ISP than I thought.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, I need a static IP and it looks like that's going to be a bigger hassle to get from my ISP than I thought.

You probably actually want Dynamic DNS. https://freedns.afraid.org/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Milkman posted:

You probably actually want Dynamic DNS. https://freedns.afraid.org/

I'm behind a carrier grade NAT so not sure that will work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah that won't work. What's your ISP?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Get a $5/mo VPS and forward traffic to its public IP back to your gear through a VPN tunnel.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

Get a $5/mo VPS and forward traffic to its public IP back to your gear through a VPN tunnel.

People have tried that and say it slows Plex down to unacceptable levels. This is primarily for Plex app access to the server, which limits my options a lot sadly. From what I've been reading I'm really at the mercy of the ISP (Allo) for now. I've got a friend that works for them, so he's gonna see what he can do.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

People have tried that and say it slows Plex down to unacceptable levels. This is primarily for Plex app access to the server, which limits my options a lot sadly. From what I've been reading I'm really at the mercy of the ISP (Allo) for now. I've got a friend that works for them, so he's gonna see what he can do.

Plex does all this for you, basically runs its own dns for you. I dont have a static ip and everyone linked to my account can access it at any time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

derk posted:

Plex does all this for you, basically runs its own dns for you. I dont have a static ip and everyone linked to my account can access it at any time.

You aren't behind carrier grade nat then.

e: Here is the relevant bit from the Plex support docs. I haven't found anything yet that contradicts this:

quote:

If you are behind Carrier Grade NAT service, then you would need to check if your ISP has an option for you to use (or purchase) a static Public IP address which would bypass CGNAT.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
If your ISP doesn't give you a "real" IP address, perhaps change ISPs?

It sounds like they are just giving you a local IP to their network, right?

I mean, doesn't that mess up all kinds of poo poo?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes. Normally though unless you are using an LTE network you would have access to IPv6 if they're forcing CGNAT on you.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

You aren't behind carrier grade nat then.

e: Here is the relevant bit from the Plex support docs. I haven't found anything yet that contradicts this:

what a lovely ISP

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just got off the phone with them, supposedly they are getting a new bucket of IPv4 addresses in the next few days, and will set me up with a static at that point. With the global IPv4 shortages, I think more and more ISPs are going to be moving to cgnat.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

derk posted:

what a lovely ISP

Blame people for sticking their head in the sand around implementing ip6. While I am the first to pile onto the mega-isp-is-poo poo bandwagon this is one thing that nerds/many companies in general have brought upon themselves.

Thankfully mobile carriers have added it in the USA, and Google works on it as well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Blame people for sticking their head in the sand around implementing ip6. While I am the first to pile onto the mega-isp-is-poo poo bandwagon this is one thing that nerds/many companies in general have brought upon themselves.

Thankfully mobile carriers have added it in the USA, and Google works on it as well.

Yeah, I just wanna say too that my ISP Allo is pretty badass and no complaints with them. I can't really blame them for IPv4 shortages.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There are 2 things carrier grade NAT affects for most normal people. First is you can't open/forward any ports. Means torrents go slow and you get low uploads. The other problem is your public IP addresss is shared by however many hundreds of people, so if one of them fucks up and gets bannded from a website, everyone gets banned with that IP.

On the other hand IPv6 utterly rocks and if more websites were v6 enabled this wouldn't be an issue at all.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I experimented with a $5 droplet to pass through traffic to a local VM, it worked pretty well.

Connected a local Ubuntu VM and the droplet with OpenVPN, setup the droplet to passthrough traffic from the WAN over the VPN to my UbuntuVM.
I tested it a bit with Emby, site was just as responsive and could do about 70mbps of bandwidth, plenty for several streams.

I had pretty ideal conditions though, gigabit FIOS to a nearby DO Datacenter, with my test user also nearby on gigabit FIOS. Also probably simpler to terminate the SSL connection at the droplet, then reverse proxy over the VPN to whatever internal devices/applications you wanted.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

It is pretty important to make sure that both the VPS and the VPN-terminating equipment on your end can both handle the throughput you want. In particular, this means using a VPN mechanism that takes advantage of hardware crypto and uses a kernel data plane, which means OpenVPN is probably not the best choice. IPsec is the most likely to be able to take advantage of hardware crypto on just about every platform, though not the simplest to configure.

Also,

redeyes posted:

IPv6 utterly rocks

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CGNAT fucks with people games and so I'm convinced that marketing the benefits of playing Xbox or Playstation on one ISP over the other is going to be what finally tips the world into IPv6 territory. From what I understand, Xbox Live will already flag a lack of IPv6 when doing a network check, and there's going to be a point where it's cheaper to just roll it out than to field tech support calls from angry gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

THF13 posted:

I experimented with a $5 droplet to pass through traffic to a local VM, it worked pretty well.

Connected a local Ubuntu VM and the droplet with OpenVPN, setup the droplet to passthrough traffic from the WAN over the VPN to my UbuntuVM.
I tested it a bit with Emby, site was just as responsive and could do about 70mbps of bandwidth, plenty for several streams.

I had pretty ideal conditions though, gigabit FIOS to a nearby DO Datacenter, with my test user also nearby on gigabit FIOS. Also probably simpler to terminate the SSL connection at the droplet, then reverse proxy over the VPN to whatever internal devices/applications you wanted.

I understood some of these words.