Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Phlegmish posted:

Dude just post I unironically like reading about that stuff

The thing is I'm absolutely down with calling it really loving stupid but I hate what the game considers what.
It'd be much easier to say some stuff is Lawful and some good or whatever rather than saying "This specific action is Lawful Good". You know, if you HAVE to use this system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I swear to god this game with its massive patches daily is going to drain my data cap...

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
One option for Valerie is a weapon focus and dazzling display, invest into persuade. AOE shaken for -2 on a bunch of stuff that almost always hits.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

I swear to god this game with its massive patches daily is going to drain my data cap...

It's 2018, who has data limits?
Is the answer "Australians"?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if the whole" left because she was just too beautiful" might not be a cover up and she was actually kicked out of paladin collage for not understanding the good part of the expected alignment. Or perhaps both.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That's pretty much what she says, anyway. Like, she blames her beauty, but the actual source of friction between her and her order was that they expected her to be gracious and accommodating with the constant throngs of people harassing her.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tell me she's really a paladin school dropout, as a character she just keeps sounding more and more awful but in a funny way

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

This game is so munchkin-ey that the unoptimized companions are that much more of a gently caress you.

These companions are just the gimmicky RP characters people come up with when playing the PnP. "A vain fighter with a high CHA. No, not a paladin. Too much of a hot head."

Too bad this is Pathfinder, one of the most munchkin games around, and the game even goes a step farther than that somehow.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Is Valerie really that bad? She's obviously built to be a tank and she seems pretty good at that. Just spec into Stalwart Defender at some point, give her stuff like Cornugon Smash and Dazzling Display and stick her in front of anyone and she should be fine. Are people just complaining because she doesn't also kill stuff?

The other companions don't seem to be that awful. Harrim's 8 Dex is poor and you'd want a higher strength on Amiri but other than that they don't seem terrible from what I can tell.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nephthys posted:

The other companions don't seem to be that awful. Harrim's 8 Dex is poor and you'd want a higher strength on Amiri but other than that they don't seem terrible from what I can tell.

Amiri actually has official stats because she's the iconic barbarian.

Spoilers: she has more strength than they gave her here.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

They're "real people" which is a loving stupid way to create your characters in a game like Pathfinder.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

It's just weird when they have characters like Octavia, the Ranger, and the Rogue who have perfectly fine stats.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Phlegmish posted:

Tell me she's really a paladin school dropout, as a character she just keeps sounding more and more awful but in a funny way

There's a lot of really fun character ideas squirrelled away in her background, it's just a pity they went with the cringy "oh woe is me, curse my beauty" poo poo instead.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

From a mechanical standpoint, Valerie is really loving bad at the beginning. Between the mediocre strength and wielding a tower shield (before her archetype fixes the attack penalty), she's terrible at actually hitting things. This eventually fixes itself as she gains levels, and building for Cornugon Smash/Dazzling Display/whatever isn't a bad idead, but it's not a good first impression. Once she removes that -2 penalty she hits things alright, but that's several levels away (or a gear swap).

The game doubles down on this by also giving you Amiri, who's ALSO eating an attack penalty if you use her default gear. Which means both the primary front-liners you get are iffy at lvl 1-2. This isn't great as an introduction party.

I do agree that complaints about any of the other companions are generally overblown though (from a mechanical perspective, at least).

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lord Koth posted:

From a mechanical standpoint, Valerie is really loving bad at the beginning. Between the mediocre strength and wielding a tower shield (before her archetype fixes the attack penalty), she's terrible at actually hitting things. This eventually fixes itself as she gains levels, and building for Cornugon Smash/Dazzling Display/whatever isn't a bad idead, but it's not a good first impression. Once she removes that -2 penalty she hits things alright, but that's several levels away (or a gear swap).

The game doubles down on this by also giving you Amiri, who's ALSO eating an attack penalty if you use her default gear. Which means both the primary front-liners you get are iffy at lvl 1-2. This isn't great as an introduction party.

I do agree that complaints about any of the other companions are generally overblown though (from a mechanical perspective, at least).

I started out with a mad dog barbarian and wow did that outperform those two.

Edit: Has anyone seen their starting town's appearance change at all? Mine hasn't and it seems like a common bug on steam forums.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 9, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

The companions in this game truly stink and custom party is where it's at.

Ekun and Octavia are all-stars. Harim and Tristian are usable since they are both clerics. The rest do suck, but I don't hate Valerie as much as others since I just buff the hell out of her and send her in first to hold aggro while the clerics summon as many undead/monsters as I need to tank any adds while Ekun, Octavia and my main character are the ones who just murder everything from range.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I started out with a mad dog barbarian and wow did that outperform those two.

Edit: Has anyone seen their starting town's appearance change at all? Mine hasn't and it seems like a common bug on steam forums.

It's not a bug.
It changes in the screen you enter to build new stuff but beyond that it's the same all the time.

At least if it is a bug every person posting on the steam forums has it, which suggests otherwise. Building new stuff genuinely feels a bit pointless?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Magus, maybe?

You already get one absolutely badass magus with much better stats though. Scaled fist might be an idea.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

malhavok posted:

You already get one absolutely badass magus with much better stats though. Scaled fist might be an idea.

He's Chaotic Evil.
And an annoying shithead with loads of irritating bits of dialogue too.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I made a paladin/Eldritch Scion w/ bastard sword. So far it feels great. But I just got past the stag lord so we'll see.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Taear posted:

He's Chaotic Evil.

It's not like Valerie solves either of those issues.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

deathbagel posted:

Ekun and Octavia are all-stars. Harim and Tristian are usable since they are both clerics. The rest do suck, but I don't hate Valerie as much as others since I just buff the hell out of her and send her in first to hold aggro while the clerics summon as many undead/monsters as I need to tank any adds while Ekun, Octavia and my main character are the ones who just murder everything from range.

Nok-Nok is loving disgusting, and can be even better if you start leveling him into vivisectionist along the way. And like, you know they did it on purpose - the story area really wants to come with you for has has two magical kukri's almost explicitly designed for him to use from the weapon names to the type of weapon they are.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

It's not like Valerie solves either of those issues.

Yea. I'm not really going to say any of the companions are well written tbh - they all feel a little bit like they've just translated their own pen and paper characters into a game.
Which hell, maybe they have.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Maybe one of the DLC will add in Oracles and Valerie can be useful.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Taear posted:

It's 2018, who has data limits?
Is the answer "Australians"?

My apartment complex. It's a terabyte and I've never even come close but still...

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Nok-Nok is loving disgusting, and can be even better if you start leveling him into vivisectionist along the way. And like, you know they did it on purpose - the story area really wants to come with you for has has two magical kukri's almost explicitly designed for him to use from the weapon names to the type of weapon they are.

The problem with Nok-Nok is he has to be in melee, and whenever I get him anywhere near an enemy he seems to quickly explode into a fine red mist. On the rare occasion the enemies leave him alone for a few seconds though, you are right, he does explode enemies quite nicely.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Taear posted:

He's Chaotic Evil.

He's not all that evil tbh.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Web traps lasting forever out of combat is such a weird design choice, especially when it means some of your weaker characters get stuck for like 5 minutes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gorelab posted:

Web traps lasting forever out of combat is such a weird design choice, especially when it means some of your weaker characters get stuck for like 5 minutes.

There's a cave full of spiders that drain strength and that locks you right down with web.
But the weirdest choice of all is that if you've got all your party selected and you're telling them to move they'll move INCREDIBLY slowly when they have a webbed character also selected. I guess it's theoretically a good idea to make everyone move at the speed of the slowest character but it's sure not fun.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Gorelab posted:

You appreciate it more when you're the one doing the webbing

*uses Spidermancy to beat most of early athkatla in BG2*

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Perfect Potato posted:

You appreciate it more when you're the one doing the webbing

*uses Spidermancy to beat most of early athkatla in BG2*

Oh web is a great spell it's just it feels like it should go away out of combat rather than being left about for 5 real world minutes or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gorelab posted:

Oh web is a great spell it's just it feels like it should go away out of combat rather than being left about for 5 real world minutes or something.
This is something that was a problem in the 90's and is still not fixed.

lol

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to view a domain's spell list when you're buying levels / making a guy?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is something that was a problem in the 90's and is still not fixed.

lol

Yeah it's why I am reluctant to get web.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I re-rolled a ranger who can actually get the pet (first time was flamewarden?) and managed to score Harrim and not Valerie based on my choices, which made me happy. Itzi or Ibiza or whatever her name is doesn't bother me much, but Valerie was painful.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The constantly repeating Lightning Bolt, Burning Hands and Fireball trap hallway in Armag's Tomb owns. I like the occasional puzzles where you need to split one member off from the party, doubly so if you have to either be super good at dodging or buffed to survive

Non spoiler, but related: You're gonna want to pack some heavy fire and electricity resistance in chapter 4, you only really need them once on one party member and when you need them you'll know beyond any shadow of doubt.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a reason not to set the difficulty so everyone loses all poison, disease, drains, etc on rest? It gets extremely tedious to manually equip potions and scrolls over and over for it. Best would be an option to auto use that stuff when resting, that's what I'm pretending is happening.

I set the game to only update when I run it. Best idea I've had today.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Poil posted:

Is there a reason not to set the difficulty so everyone loses all poison, disease, drains, etc on rest? It gets extremely tedious to manually equip potions and scrolls over and over for it. Best would be an option to auto use that stuff when resting, that's what I'm pretending is happening.

I set the game to only update when I run it. Best idea I've had today.

Potions can be used straight from the inventory ( right click + use ) in out-of-combat situations.
And also whenever it bugs out, I could make both Valerie ( during her Duel. ) and Amiri chug 15 bottles of stuff in less than a round when doing their solo fights, due to the game not disabling that feature then.
( I assume it's just based on if the PC, aka mainchar is in combat, which is why it might not trigger for non-PC control sections.)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can? That's great thanks. But I kinda wish it worked during combat as well, just one a the time though. Having to fiddle with the belt bar sucks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there a way to view a domain's spell list when you're buying levels / making a guy?

No, but there is a full list on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/comments/9l064l/domain_spell_list_103/