Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I swear as a kid it used to start earlier in the day and take far longer to finish. I still prefer the 12 hr race but that’s not on till the start of next year so I’ll have to keep an eye on tickets

It did start earlier, but with the Supercars being faster than their earlier Group A and C versions, means they can shorten the race time.

Also gently caress Jamie Whingecup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

You Am I posted:

It did start earlier, but with the Supercars being faster than their earlier Group A and C versions, means they can shorten the race time.

Also gently caress Jamie Whingecup.

Whingecup is a dick in the 12hr race as well but I like heading out to it cause with the smaller crowd things tend to be more access all areas like there’s no extra price ticket option unless you want to sit in the grandstands.
I used to enjoy the all day 1000k effort whereas these days it all done and dusted a little too quickly with a lack of big shunts

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The b1k is in like 10ish hours, yes?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

:supaburn:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

:yeshaha:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
What is the chance of kangaroos though :thunk:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’d say fairly high tbh.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

CactusWeasle posted:

Whincup fastest in qualifying, I guess top ten shootout still to go but that's disappointing. Hopefully he manages to screw up yet another Bathurst 1000 or we could be in for a runaway win with him and Dumbrell

:toot:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yes! Suck it Whingecup!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rain!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice work Lowndesy

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
You didn't miss too much if you didn't see Bathurst this year. It was an OK race with various incidents and happenings that had the threat of rain and some brief showers (one of which caused the track to steam up, which was cool) and a battle for the lead in the penultimate stint. Then the leader and last year's winner, Reynolds, started cramping up in his left leg and slowed to allow Lowndes to pass him and pull away. They doped his drinks bottle with gatorade and (sugar) pills for his last pit stop but then copped a penalty and had to serve a drivethrough. It was academic after that.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yeah it was pretty boring tbh. Reynolds looked pretty shook. I felt sorry for him when the interviewer just gave him a hug.

I’m sad I missed whincups wheel incident :(

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'm okay with Lowndesy winning. He's been a legend of V8s for time and this is his last race as a full time driver.

I also think having the Bathurst 1000 be the final event, like what the ACO is trying to pull with Le Mans the season after the SuperSeason(TM) would be a good idea.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
That was EPIC and pure drama, and holy crap that is awesome for Lowndes

I'm sorry there werent enough crashes for some of you :shrug:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Schlesische posted:

I also think having the Bathurst 1000 be the final event, like what the ACO is trying to pull with Le Mans the season after the SuperSeason(TM) would be a good idea.
I think making the 1000 a non points round would make teams put more effort into winning it. For example I bet DJR would've been more aggressive with getting the number 17 car to win than just sit back and save the car because of the championship points.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CactusWeasle posted:

That was EPIC and pure drama, and holy crap that is awesome for Lowndes

I'm sorry there werent enough crashes for some of you :shrug:

Epic? Pure Drama? Hardly. It was just a fairly stock standard race at best and mostly completely forgettable. And I'm NOT one who watches Bathurst for crashes.

And GG someone please tell Neil Crompton you don't have to talk every goddamn second - sometimes silence really is a good commentary.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Wait. Doping in Australian Motorsport is giving drivers sweets during a race? Are wine gums considered performance enhancing by our antipodean cousins?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Epic? Pure Drama? Hardly. It was just a fairly stock standard race at best and mostly completely forgettable. And I'm NOT one who watches Bathurst for crashes.

And GG someone please tell Neil Crompton you don't have to talk every goddamn second - sometimes silence really is a good commentary.

The last hour was, but every "best race ever" has its poo poo parts. Pick your favourite race ever and chances are you are only remembering the good parts.

The situation with Reynolds and what they were doing to do with him, and a horror week for Lowdnes in his final full time season, with a car that was junk through 6 practice sessions with steering issues, maybe winning it? Well I enjoyed it.

and Crompton is awesome, so im straight up saying screw you for that :colbert:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Okay so this is awesome

https://twitter.com/PorscheRaces/status/1049260653276516353

Porsche painting the factory 911 RSRs in the 1998 911 GT1 colors for Petit Le Mans. Looks great.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Fuuuuuuck yes that owns

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

harperdc posted:

Okay so this is awesome

https://twitter.com/PorscheRaces/status/1049260653276516353

Porsche painting the factory 911 RSRs in the 1998 911 GT1 colors for Petit Le Mans. Looks great.

nice

It'll be nice trying to keep track of a race in my own time zone for once. It starts Saturday at 10:55AM eastern / 2:55PM GMT fyi.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 8, 2018

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Annoyingly I'm gonna miss the first few hours of the race, so I'll be stuck with DVR'd Fox one last time

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

this is cool af https://racer.com/2018/10/08/panoz-gtr-1-and-deltawing-return-to-the-track-at-petit-le-mans/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CactusWeasle posted:

The last hour was, but every "best race ever" has its poo poo parts. Pick your favourite race ever and chances are you are only remembering the good parts.

Wrong. Most people making GBS threads on this race dont do that at all.

quote:

and Crompton is awesome, so im straight up saying screw you for that :colbert:

Annnnd now I know you are trolling. Only a red headed step child would say that with a straight face

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

CactusWeasle posted:

Le Mans 2017 begs to differ. That race was great from start to finish, and I watched every glorious minute of it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CactusWeasle posted:

This is why shorter races are objectively better and rallycross is the one true racing format

NASCAR introduced stages already haha

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

This is why shorter races are objectively better and rallycross is the one true racing format

NASCAR introduced stages already haha

Totally agree. I dig either the "one super short race after another" thing from WRX, or one hour sprint races with a couple of them over the weekend. I really like the series where there is a saturday and a sunday race, because it's always refreshing to see the "payback" from the day before. Two hour races are often simply half an hour too long.

Either go short, or go 12/24 hour, but I'm all for shorter races, and then more of them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Long races are fine. The problem is that with the currently highly spec V8SC formula, the long races feature very little performance differentiation or attrition, so instead of endurance races, they just seem like really long regular races and are very frequently boring.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

long races are cool

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

long road course races are cool

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Petit Le Mans is FOX's final IMSA broadcast.

Have they said who's going to do races for them on NBC next year? I'm down as hell with Diffey and Hobbo (at least for the 24, if nothing else) being reunited with sports cars if that's an option.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CBJSprague24 posted:

Petit Le Mans is FOX's final IMSA broadcast.

Have they said who's going to do races for them on NBC next year? I'm down as hell with Diffey and Hobbo (at least for the 24, if nothing else) being reunited with sports cars if that's an option.

I dont think NBC has said for sure yet, same for the NASCAR and IndyCar sides.

lots of lasts at Petit. last race on continental rubber for the protos, last race for the Patron sponsorship (and potentially the team as a whole), etc.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm almost positive Indy is staying the same? (Diffey, Tracy, Bell)

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

They're going to need a sportscar crew so I vote to bring back Varsha. Most likely they just take Creamer and same guys and just continue on.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
we need more open engine development, all these BOP'd engines are way overbuilt and dont blow up nearly enough.

Make Endurance Racing Endurance Again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

we need more open engine development, all these BOP'd engines are way overbuilt and dont blow up nearly enough.

last year's Le Mans made it fairly clear that builders will still build cars to the limit and break them down if they have actual competition for development

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Mazda got your fix, man. They need to just stick a blackthumb under the engine cover of that car mad max style.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Spec series, but everything designed by ByKolles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The Cadillac V8s were melting down at Daytona, the Nissans couldn't run at ambient temps above 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and the Mazdas were always two steps away from turning into a fireball

What more do you want, man