Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Okay so which app updated and is loving up everyone's apostrophes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s an SA problem. Happening on desktop too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vegetable posted:

I miss setting my phone on my desk and unlocking it by touching it. That was a magical feeling. Now I have to lift the thing to look at my face and do a swipey action. How have things improved at all.

Day one of skipping five generations of iPhones continues to go poorly.

Get a standing wireless charger, friend.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Vegetable posted:

It�s an SA problem. Happening on desktop too.

Most likely itʼs based on what the message poster is using.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Test'
Test"

Test�

OK it happens in Awful.app on iOS 12.0.1 when typing an apostrophe from the iOS keyboard. Doesn't happen with desktop Chrome, and apostrophes typed on desktop Chrome still get saved as the proper codepoint when edit -> saved from Awful.app

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm also testing. Using iPhone safari. Not Awful.

Now with iOS keyboard. I�ll try.

Yep it’s the iOS keyboard. My first sentence was done with SwiftKey. A repeat of that keyboard bug from last year?

Zero One fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 9, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

That might actually help with the angle for Face ID when I eventually upgrade too then. Looks like I'm on my way to becoming one of the cool kids.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Get a standing wireless charger, friend.
Yeah this.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm on iOS 9.3 so this post is likely of no use to anyone. O'kay bye.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

American McGay posted:

I'm on iOS 9.3 so this post is likely of no use to anyone. O'kay bye.

I'm hacking your phone right now

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why would this � key just start breaking all of a sudden? I never noticed it until now.

It�s
I�m
You�re
They�re

E: typing this with the German keyboard. It’s broken or?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 9, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why would this � key just start breaking all of a sudden? I never noticed it until now.

It�s
I�m
You�re
They�re

There haven't been any updates to iOS or Awful.app :shrug:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

There haven't been any updates to iOS

Except that one yesterday

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't think it's Awful or IOS, friends. Actually wait it could be ios we did just get that dumb update yesterday.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

Except that one yesterday

Do you think it was 12.01?

Mine isn�t set to update till later tonight.

It�s not 12.01

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't think it's Awful or IOS, friends. Actually wait it could be ios we did just get that dumb update yesterday.

I haven't updated yet so I don't think its the latest update.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Someone check the android thread and see if it's hosed there too.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
QCS seems to think it's an SA issue. Maybe related to the database encoding.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zero One posted:

QCS seems to think it's an SA issue. Maybe related to the database encoding.

It doesn't happen on the PC though. Are posts via mobile submitted to the database differently?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FCKGW posted:

Someone check the android thread and see if it's hosed there too.

They’re saying it’s like this in the awful.apk thread which I understand is the android app.

Also from reading the last page of that :wtf: apparently the android version of awful doesn’t have the capability to make posts

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Here are some recent posts from qcs

Kazinsal posted:

The server is sending iso-8859-1 as the character set instead of utf-8 in the content-type header, so UTF-8 sequences are being interpreted as "extended ASCII".

Hammerite posted:

� is what you get if you reinterpret the bytes (EF BF BD) that represent U+FFFD REPLACEMENT CHARACTER in UTF-8 as Latin-1.

I think what is happening is that the forums code expects the database connection to be configured with Latin-1 encoding, but it is instead configured as UTF-8. When posts are sent to the database they are not valid UTF-8, which is why U+FFFD is getting stored. When posts are retrieved from the database they are provided in UTF-8 but displayed as Latin-1 because the content-type header sent by the forum says that's what they are.

The problem with this theory is that characters from older posts contain the same character sequence in place of the characters they were supposed to contain - not the characters corresponding to the sequences of bytes that would be expected from more normal non-ASCII characters. The only way I can account for that is if the database has been restored from a backup or something, but this is a stretch.

ASCII apostrophes will be unaffected. Non-ASCII characters are affected. The posts you see that contain apostrophes and appear unaffected are using the ASCII apostrophe character. The posts that are affected contain (or at least, contained when they were submitted) non-ASCII characters, possibly U+2019 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK or U+02BC MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Well, I am sure the tech guys at SA will clear that up super fast

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's definitely a site issue. I was using Awful earlier and thought the app was buggin' out but I'm on my PC on Chrome now and it's showing up here too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Agronox posted:

Well, I am sure the tech guys at SA will clear that up super fast

Another sticky post incoming, asking for help

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

Another sticky post incoming, asking for help

�Does anyone know what �Apache� is?�

e: lol @ how bad this post got hosed up

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Weedle posted:

�Does anyone know what �Apache� is?�

It�s a helicopter

My wow character�s name is xXśï¿½ph�r�thXx

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You need to get a refund on your posting app

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MarcusSA posted:

It doesn't happen on the PC though. Are posts via mobile submitted to the database differently?

It may very well be a matter of proper UTF-8 vs. ISO 8859 character encoding — it looks like any more advanced character using the former will get screwed up. Just playing around with various forced settings in my browser, it looks like it auto-detects the page as using “windows-1252” encoding, when in fact it should be Unicode.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 9, 2018

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It will be fixed on the new forums.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that sounds a pretty good combo, I used to quite like my old 4S Apple dock thing and wireless would stop the wear on the socket nicely. I am quite accustomed to idly scrolling through things on the desk, but I'm sure I'll get over it like a top mounted power button.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Has anyone had issues with sending and receiving pictures in messages not having them load? I was taxing my daughter and sent a photo - an hour later it was still stuck at 0% and it was only like 70kb in size. I had gotten a few photos too and they sat at 0% as well but after a few minutes they did show (showing up all of the sudden and not progressing up to 100%)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

rio posted:

Has anyone had issues with sending and receiving pictures in messages not having them load? I was taxing my daughter and sent a photo - an hour later it was still stuck at 0% and it was only like 70kb in size. I had gotten a few photos too and they sat at 0% as well but after a few minutes they did show (showing up all of the sudden and not progressing up to 100%)

Sounds like it's time for an audit.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

astral posted:

I�m using a different keyboard to avoid the � glitch - I guess the autocorrect is lacking.

Edit: aaaand I guess this keyboard has the issue too

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Endless Mike posted:

Do you have tiny baby hands or something? I can do all of this without gluing a stupid thing to my telephone.

Actually I have Trump hands and they're yuge :colbert:

I prefer the SE so I can run with that sumbitch in my fanny pack. I also used a PopSocket with it as well as my Kindle and my 8+

MarcusSA posted:

Oh no once you have the PopSocket the phone never leaves your hand so its not an issue.

Over here I like to just hold it by the PopSocket and then I can see the entire screen without anything covering the screen.

rio posted:

Has anyone had issues with sending and receiving pictures in messages not having them load?

I have issues with selecting a picture and having it load into the message to send. Oftentimes I have to force close the app (iMessage, Messenger) to be able to send the pic.

This extra step to send a pic is the first world-iest problem I've had since the time I had to wait a couple of days for my Note 9 to show up (last week).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

rio posted:

I�m using a different keyboard to avoid the � glitch - I guess the autocorrect is lacking.

Edit: aaaand I guess this keyboard has the issue too

If you really care a lot you can long-press and select the ' character

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

Parents are often taxing to their children.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Apologies if this has been answered, but has anyone else noticed a change in behavior of Do Not Disturb While Driving mode?

With iOS 11, my phone could be in DNDWD mode and it would forward texts to my cars head unit and alert me and read them aloud with the hands free system. Which was cool. Phone doesn�t buzz, but I can get the �hey I�m gonna be late� or �we changed the meeting place� messages.

But now with iOS 12, my car doesn�t seem to see my messages when the phone is in DNDWD mode. So I don�t get anything read to me, which is not only really annoying but also incredibly stupid that the behavior changed. Has anyone else seen this change or is there some kind of setting I need to change somewhere that got defaulted to not what I want.

My car is a 2016 Mazda 3 if it matters. Factory head unit.

Edit: well it turns out iOS 12 defaulted “show notifications” under the Bluetooth settings for my car to off even though I’ve never ever changed that to off. That’s cool I guess Apple, but problem solved.

SaturdayKnight fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 10, 2018

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm having a really annoying issue in regards to iCloud backups. I want to have my phone and Mac sync contacts, and I know that via the Apple ecosystem, thats all iCloud based. I have literally no backups of my Macbook or my iPhone 7 in my iCloud at all, if I go and check the space, I am using 901kb of the free 5GB. In the "apps using iCloud" for both my Macbook and iPhone 7, I only have Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes, Keychain, Find my iPhone/Mac, and iCloud backup turned on. I specifically turned off messages and photos (i use google photos for that). But if I manually select backup phone, it always tells me I don't have enough space, but it also will not tell me the size of my next backup.

Is there something obvious I am missing? I really want my contacts to sync, because sometimes I message a new contact on my phone, but the messages app doesnt pull over the contact data on my Macbook.

E: Now looking, it says my backup will be 8.51GB, but how can that really be if I don't want literally anything but contacts?

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 10, 2018

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm having a really annoying issue in regards to iCloud backups. I want to have my phone and Mac sync contacts, and I know that via the Apple ecosystem, thats all iCloud based. I have literally no backups of my Macbook or my iPhone 7 in my iCloud at all, if I go and check the space, I am using 901kb of the free 5GB. In the "apps using iCloud" for both my Macbook and iPhone 7, I only have Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes, Keychain, Find my iPhone/Mac, and iCloud backup turned on. I specifically turned off messages and photos (i use google photos for that). But if I manually select backup phone, it always tells me I don't have enough space, but it also will not tell me the size of my next backup.

Is there something obvious I am missing? I really want my contacts to sync, because sometimes I message a new contact on my phone, but the messages app doesnt pull over the contact data on my Macbook.

E: Now looking, it says my backup will be 8.51GB, but how can that really be if I don't want literally anything but contacts?

I don't think it works like that. I think iCloud backs up your entire poo poo regardless or what you decide to use over iCloud. Using iCloud for it just means you use less space on your phone unless you specifically download those things. I'm almost fairly certain Messages and Contacts are downloaded automatically because they're so small in size compared to photos, for example. If you have it set to use iCloud for Contacts, it should be available on all of your Apple devices baring you've saved the contact to your iCloud group and not one for an email or something.

I could be wrong on all of this, but this is how I've understood it working and haven't had any problems.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

You do not need to use iCloud backup. You only need both the Mac and iPhone to be logged into iCloud.

Everything turned on is synced to iCloud and does not count against your 5GB (except for Photos, Messages, and Backup). When you log into your iCloud on Mac, anything you have active pulls from that data. All changes are reflected in your iCloud account, so a change in one propagates to all devices logged in.

(Wallet is a little different depending on if you have a TouchBar version or not.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If you check my post in the last few pages I think I posted a link to Apple’s help forums that suggested that turning on iCloud backup will backup the entire phone, photos included. Turning on iCloud Photo Library will take those photos and put it into a special iCloud Photos bucket, so that it’s no longer a part of my_phone.backup.

That’s just my understanding on what I read though so I’m not sure if it’s right or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
pop sockets are insanely wack