Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm playing legacy main but we should hang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'll try to get that weekend off. IIRC Johnny Fice Jaces will also be there.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I wanted to go but I'm saving to move next year :smith:

I'm also sitting out GP Atlanta for the first time in years.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I'll try to get that weekend off. IIRC Johnny Fice Jaces will also be there.

i will be there to play legacy and pauper but if that scares anyone off I can always just go away

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

I kinda wish the second Modern challenge each day wasn't No Ban List.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

I'll probably go and not play like I always do because my decks are all bad against midrange piles and leave with $5-7 thousand as usual.

Just sell me a sea for what you'd get on site?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Skyl3lazer posted:

So who is goin to ETERNAL WEEKEND

I am very likely to go. I finished D&T last month (need to swap one italian legends Karakas for EMA).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

do you need a playset or just one

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Here's what I've got.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

suicidesteve posted:

Here's what I've got.

6.5/10 Light play

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Das Butterbrot posted:

6.5/10 Light play

Gradeable by TCGPlayer standards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Das Butterbrot posted:

6.5/10 Light play

I actually have it saved as LP Underground Sea.

It's commander playable and cost me $10 so :shrug: I could probably get away with playing it double sleeved but Underground Sea is the most boring card in this game and I've never played a 60 card deck that had one in it that was remotely fun so why would I do that?

I've been meaning to get it repaired and sell it for $way too much but :effort:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hauki posted:

do you need a playset or just one

"Need"... I just want 1-2 to eventually have UB shadow but...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
After Assassin's Trophy, the GRN card I'm most interested to see in action is Mission Briefing. Snapcaster Mage is obviously a multi-format all-star, and I wonder how this card compares considering that it's not a creature, but comes with some card selection and graveyard feeding. One of my first ideas was to plug it into a Jeskai tokens decks I brewed up a while back but never got to play-

Deck: Jeskai Pyro-Mentor

//Lands
1 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Seachrome Coast
2 Spirebluff Canal
2 Steam Vents

//Spells
3 Cryptic Command
1 Electrolyze
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Logic Knot
2 Mission Briefing
4 Opt
4 Path to Exile
4 Remand
4 Serum Visions
2 Spell Snare

//Creatures
4 Monastery Mentor
3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
1 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Damping Sphere
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Dispel
2 Lightning Helix
2 Negate
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Wear // Tear

Display deck statistics

At first glance 3 Cryptics is maybe too many with only 20 lands, and RiP in the sideboard seems like a non-bo with Snapcaster effects. But getting token triggers off of Briefings while digging for more spells seems good. Any thoughts on what decks might want extra Snapcaster effects?

E: Yes I am trying to figure out if it's good in Mill, since the way it's worded means you can cast Archive Trap from the yard for 0.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 2, 2018

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm interested to see if Grixis Death Shadow starts using Mission Briefing over Snapcaster just to help keep the grave filled/power out more Anglers.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

I'm interested to see if Grixis Death Shadow starts using Mission Briefing over Snapcaster just to help keep the grave filled/power out more Anglers.

Blue is a splash color UU seems a bit rough

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Briefing into Cryptic requires 5 U sources, which is very difficult for a 3 color deck, even with Modern lands. UW can get away with it, but UWx can't.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So I refuse to pay $25/each for assassin's trophy the next couple weeks even though I want to use them. The question is, are GBx decks going to be popular enough with people trying that card that I should run it back to my heart's true desire and play GW hatebears with 4x Mirran Crusader in the main? Probably cut 1-2 loxodon smiters from the old build for some Knight of Autumn as well. I wish there wasn't such a density of 3 drops in bears decks so I could find play a set of militia bugler as well. Might do it anyway just to goof around at weeklies.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Is Death's Shadow a legit deck in Legacy? I'm trying to decide on a deck to bring to Eternal Weekend. I have Vintage, and multiple Modern decks already.

Also, what is even good in No Ban List Modern?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Brownhat posted:

Is Death's Shadow a legit deck in Legacy? I'm trying to decide on a deck to bring to Eternal Weekend. I have Vintage, and multiple Modern decks already.

Storm and Eldrazi are insanely good in No Ban List Modern

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

I really hate that they replaced the second Modern challenge each day with No Ban List for this year.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Storm and Eldrazi are insanely good in No Ban List Modern

Storm was unimpressive and put up no results last time there was a big event.

Eldrazi is the top deck by far. Second best is dark depths. Past that there is a variety but at the Open there wasnt as much variety as youd expect at the top tables at the end of day 2.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Brownhat posted:

Yes it's legit is Legacy. That being said my team just went 1-5 drop at the open and the only match i won was against Noah Walker while he was in grixis control.

I have to say he was really nice. Very fun opponent to play against.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Brownhat posted:

death's shadow legacy is insanely good. you really get to use every part of the buffalo with maindeck reanimates

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Well play wise this weekend was a bust, but I did do well on cashing out. My legacy/modern staples sold for about 12k and that leaves me with 4 decks and a lot of bulk and sealed to get rid of.

Good times.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well play wise this weekend was a bust, but I did do well on cashing out. My legacy/modern staples sold for about 12k and that leaves me with 4 decks and a lot of bulk and sealed to get rid of.

Good times.

Cardboard is way too expensive.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Good times.

this is such a great time to offload stuff you're not using. I got 10k last weekend for 9 cards in a format i do not play

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

this is such a great time to offload stuff you're not using. I got 10k last weekend for 9 cards in a format i do not play

Curious how you're all outing your stuff, buylist? Supposedly Cardsphere lets you cash out points but I haven't done the math for whether that's more than buylist or not.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Curious how you're all outing your stuff, buylist? Supposedly Cardsphere lets you cash out points but I haven't done the math for whether that's more than buylist or not.

Went to an SCG open with a box of poo poo. Had all the booths give me an estimate an played them off each other.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I just cut back on Patreons and a bunch of other bullshit to justify $60/month for Manatraders for a while.

It's too expensive for what it is, but it works pretty well and gives me a way to grind games with a bunch of decks in advance of a Leaving a Legacy 2-5k in a month.

I also just buylisted around $1500 worth of stuff, picking up a couple tundras and a USea.

Any bostongoons that might be at that 2-5k? If I go I'm gonna be tempted to play Miracles but probably should play infect; I feel like my odds of making correct decisions with a grindy go-to-turns deck in a 9-round tournament are not very good. I'm also high off of playing Infect at a ~15 person LGS tournament in NoVA last week as my first time playing sanctioned legacy since 2016, and going 4-0 (round4 opp and I agreed to split in advance, but played and I destroyed him in 2 games).

That last round opponent was playing a fully foiled ANT deck, with Beta dual lands which he had bought as graded 8.5s and cracked out of their cases. poo poo you see in NoVA, I guess -- no one around here has that kind of money. Also he had bought them post spike and said the Volcs were $10,000. Each.

My only gripe against Infect is that it's probably more variance prone than UW? Round one was against BR reanimator; I'm not terrified of that matchup, but lucked out in that in game 2 I had naturally drawn the Bog at just the right time to play it, and game 3 he kept a sketchy hand where he had to unmask himself to bin a fatty, which left me with a Force for his reanimation spell... and had the bog in my hand again when I untapped. That game was bizarre because I didn't draw a single pump spell, but had 2 nexus and 2 stalkers on the board at the end of the game.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 9, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Do they just send you the deck? I imagine there's a crazy amount of insurance on those cards.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

ilmucche posted:

Do they just send you the deck? I imagine there's a crazy amount of insurance on those cards.

I'm just using it for MTGO grinding; they do have a plan that lets you rent paper decks but it's not very useful to me so I didn't look at it in detail.

XMage is fine for playing for fun / drafting new sets before release, and it's free but for actual tournament prep MTGO leagues seem better.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

i know some big fish pretty close to me and came to an agreement with one of them. It wasn't like, buylist prices but it wasn't max what I could get selling them individually myself.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ilmucche posted:

Yeah you just pick what cards you want and they give them to you, and you have a limit of 'manahours' per month (cost of borrowed cards * time). The limit to how much you can have rented at once goes up over time and by paying more.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Any bostongoons that might be at that 2-5k? If I go I'm gonna be tempted to play Miracles but probably should play infect; I feel like my odds of making correct decisions with a grindy go-to-turns deck in a 9-round tournament are not very good. I'm also high off of playing Infect at a ~15 person LGS tournament in NoVA last week as my first time playing sanctioned legacy since 2016, and going 4-0 (round4 opp and I agreed to split in advance, but played and I destroyed him in 2 games).

Which store?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah you just pick what cards you want and they give them to you, and you have a limit of 'manahours' per month (cost of borrowed cards * time). The limit to how much you can have rented at once goes up over time and by paying more.

Which store?

Gaming Etc, I think it's sat 11/17, player registration by 11, player meeting @ noon. Guaranteed 2k, scales with attendance ($40 buy in), I believe they did this several months ago and it was a 3.5k @ 140ish players.

It's kind of dumb for me to even be thinking about this because I don't have anyone from VT to go with and I don't know anyone going, but my urge to play legacy is strong.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Time to go try to win EW bye #2

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Time to go try to win EW bye #2

I thought about trying to get #1 but I seriously doubt I'll be playing anyway so I'm working hours 113-120 and maybe 121-128 for this pay check instead!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

I thought about trying to get #1 but I seriously doubt I'll be playing anyway so I'm working hours 113-120 and maybe 121-128 for this pay check instead!

Hope you get OT and/or a new job

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Hope you get OT and/or a new job

All but 4 of those hours over 80 were my choice. Overtime all the way. Unionize!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

All but 4 of those hours over 80 were my choice. Overtime all the way. Unionize!

Ah yeah OT good