Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Because of their business relationship with nbc/universal/comcast :tinfoil:

That’s actually totally believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weedle posted:

That�s actually totally believable.

what the gently caress happened to your apostrophe?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It looks cool, it's only seven planets so it's not procedurally generated. Some cool looking giant enemies too.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

what the gently caress happened to your apostrophe?

It's happening all over the forum for me :shrug:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

content posted:

It's happening all over the forum for me :shrug:

forum's

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It's $75

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/starlink-battle-for-atlas-starter-pack-featuring-star-fox-nintendo-switch/6260477.p?skuId=6260477

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/unlockii/status/1049233971584946178?s=21

:discourse:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

If you're B Jr. and get Bowser as an Ally also says "Let's go get the stars before everyone else, Junior"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Take time to be a dad.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And once again struggle over a crown has broken up a royal family

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

You can get it on the eshop for $60. Can't buy physical without the toys.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Handsome Wife posted:

You can get it on the eshop for $60. Can't buy physical without the toys.

Do you not need the toy?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Over There posted:

Do you not need the toy?

You can use the toy for fast swapping the ships and other such stuff, but if you have the digital version you can apparently swap through in-game menus. You're pretty much paying extra to have a fun little Star Fox toy.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Policenaut posted:

You can use the toy for fast swapping the ships and other such stuff, but if you have the digital version you can apparently swap through in-game menus. You're pretty much paying extra to have a fun little Star Fox toy.

Oh cool, that makes me like it much better.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

RandomFerret posted:

I don't know what you're implying about Bruce Campbell's physiology here, but I don't think I like it
He had to fly through some heavily radioactive nebulas in Tachyon: The Fridge.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the starfox ones should be amiibo too. big missed opportunity

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Super No Vacancy posted:

i'm with the people saying starlink has not been satisfactorily hyped because i've googled the thing like 6 times trying to find a reason to buy it and this is the first time i've heard about deep gameplay mechanics with factions and real time events

Yeah, I understand wanting to avoid the no man's sky crap, but there has been like no promotion of this at all. After being excited back at e3, I had no clue it was coming out in a few days until reading this thread. It's one thing to pump the brakes on hyping a game to the moon....but a little bit of promotion isn't bad.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah, I understand wanting to avoid the no man's sky crap, but there has been like no promotion of this at all. After being excited back at e3, I had no clue it was coming out in a few days until reading this thread. It's one thing to pump the brakes on hyping a game to the moon....but a little bit of promotion isn't bad.

I feel like a lot of Switch games do well via word of mouth, especially on stuff like Reddit and Twitter if its a good game, just because everyone's waiting for the next game to be released.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

No Man's Sky is exactly what I thought I was buying when I got it. There was a ton of rumors where someone picked 1 or 2 sentences from an 1h+ interview and extrapolated entire systems (such as true multi-player). The devs did nothing to stop the rumors so they were a bit at fault, but they were also a small indie company. It's become much closer to what people thought it was going to be with recent patches.

I'd totally buy another copy of NMS for Switch seems perfect for it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Over There posted:

Holy poo poo its a lot like No Mans Sky

NMS seemed like the sort of game I would've loved. All I know that there was a big focus on exploration which is the #1 thing I want in a game.

What exactly do you do in NMS, and how is Star Link at all like it? It makes it a very attractive get if it's just exploring space having adventures.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

NMS seemed like the sort of game I would've loved. All I know that there was a big focus on exploration which is the #1 thing I want in a game.

What exactly do you do in NMS, and how is Star Link at all like it? It makes it a very attractive get if it's just exploring space having adventures.

No mans sky is basically use tools to shoot rocks with a laser gather resources and build new gear to repair / upgrade ship / weapons. Some planets are toxic and it's very much about survival. You also find a ton of interesting looking creatures and caverns. You can spend days on a single planet exploring everything. I don't think I made it too far, I spent several hours on each planet because I was enjoying exploring them not because I had to (you can spend as little as 5 minutes just grabbing what you want).

If you want to "play" a game and not a sandbox you can rush to the end of the story extremely quickly. If you can make your own fun and like exploring it's a super good game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

pixaal posted:

No mans sky is basically use tools to shoot rocks with a laser gather resources and build new gear to repair / upgrade ship / weapons. Some planets are toxic and it's very much about survival. You also find a ton of interesting looking creatures and caverns. You can spend days on a single planet exploring everything. I don't think I made it too far, I spent several hours on each planet because I was enjoying exploring them not because I had to (you can spend as little as 5 minutes just grabbing what you want).

If you want to "play" a game and not a sandbox you can rush to the end of the story extremely quickly. If you can make your own fun and like exploring it's a super good game.

Sounds like early Minecraft. Before it got super developed and crafting-oriented, the big pull for me was spelunking and exploring the biomes and seeing how long I could last. I put so much time in just doing that. I could care less about building anything more elaborate than a mud shack.

NMS sounds cool. We'll see what Star Link turns out to be but that format is something I could really sink my teeth into.

content
Feb 13, 2014

I didn't play NMS at launch because it sounded dumb/limited/derivative, but since Next, I've put around 75 hours into it. I'm excited to jump back in once I wrap up DQ11.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

NMS Next is how the game should have launched and really propels it into being something fun and exciting (if you like that kind of game). Unfortunately it took like 2 years to get to that point after launch sooooo...

content
Feb 13, 2014

Policenaut posted:

NMS Next is how the game should have launched and really propels it into being something fun and exciting (if you like that kind of game). Unfortunately it took like 2 years to get to that point after launch sooooo...

I think part of it was survival/crafting fatigue as well. That was the last type of game I wanted to play when those trailers were coming out. Now that the genre has faded a bit, I'm not as tired of it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm real interested in Starlink, but it didn't have the amazon discount applied to it when the preorder deal was still up. I'd be especially interested if there was a physical release w/o the toy, because I really don't want to get into collecting a whole new lot of crap.

No offense to any crap fans out there.

Edit: I may just say screw it and get the digital version anyway if the reception is good. A space shooty game sounds right up my alley right now.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 9, 2018

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Super No Vacancy posted:

i'm with the people saying starlink has not been satisfactorily hyped because i've googled the thing like 6 times trying to find a reason to buy it and this is the first time i've heard about deep gameplay mechanics with factions and real time events

Here's the thing about factions: They're more "sure, we'll help you against the fight against this absolute evil archetype" than "man, gently caress that other faction."

I'm not even sure if it is any deep other than enemies having weaknesses to certain weapon types. With the resurrected toys to life concept, they'll probably aim the game to be as accessible as possible.

So all we know at the moment is just marketing talk, who knows how it actually plays out.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

do we think it's gonna have that ubisoft uplay gimmick where you unlock points with achievements. does that exist on switch

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Here's the thing about factions: They're more "sure, we'll help you against the fight against this absolute evil archetype" than "man, gently caress that other faction."

I'm not even sure if it is any deep other than enemies having weaknesses to certain weapon types. With the resurrected toys to life concept, they'll probably aim the game to be as accessible as possible.

So all we know at the moment is just marketing talk, who knows how it actually plays out.

Please compare it to Colony Wars 1-3, my gold standard for console space combat (because I can't be arsed to buy Elite: Dangerous).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What if Space Rangers, but on Switch?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'll buy the physical cause Arwing + Fox, but prob wont buy any other ships

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Over There posted:

Same, I just want something like Starfox 64.

for some reason i had it in my head that sega was porting panzer dragoon zwei to the switch. which is apparently nonsense i made up. and that is really sad, because it's probably the next best 3d rail shooter to star fox 64

content
Feb 13, 2014

Zas posted:

for some reason i had it in my head that sega was porting panzer dragoon zwei to the switch. which is apparently nonsense i made up. and that is really sad, because it's probably the next best 3d rail shooter to star fox 64

Rez.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can you play Starlink with the Arwing stuff without the toys?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

*lightbulb above my head buzzes loudly and flickers on after 30 hours* star link should be saving space zelda

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can you play Starlink with the Arwing stuff without the toys?

Yeah someone said that if you get it in the eshop you don't need it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is it just me or do the ships look kind of poo poo quality?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

bowmore posted:

Is it just me or do the ships look kind of poo poo quality?

Pretend like the rest of us that the only ship is the Arwing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

Pretend like the rest of us that the only ship is the Arwing.

The arwing looks poo poo quality too in the images I've seen.

Like, the toy itself looks chintzy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
The real dark horse of my Switch has been Letter Quest Remastered. I bought it on sale, played it for a bit. When I visited my friend in Canada with the Switch he instantly focused on Letter Quest. Then as a result I got back into it.

Now my partner is playing it. I've lost my evening Switch time to her because she wants to play fuckin Letter Quest while I sit here playing Two Point Hospital on a laptop like a chump.

Speaking of, Two Point Hospital...perfect for the Switch? I dunno. But certainly Theme Hospital also went to the PS1