Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

its really not a very clean system to reprocess plastics but of course the ideal is to just either not wrap everything ever in plastic or at least make the bags useful durable ones people won't throw away or tear open immediately

Charging a battery (at the factory), using it, and then throwing it away is definitely not more environmentally friendly than charging a battery, using it, recharging it (at home), using it, recharging it, using it, recharging it [repeat based on life of battery], and then throwing it away. The plastic bag analogy is... not analogous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

qkkl posted:

It's probably more environmentally friendly to just throw out these batteries rather than recharge them, similar to how it is more environmentally friendly to throw out plastic bags than to recycle them.

yah just like how it's more environmentally friendly to wear shirts only once before burning them and buying more

or throwing away stainless steel spoons after one use

or buying a new laptop every day and throwing the old one in the creek

that's just bein green, baby!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

e: irt "real news"
is that not an insanely hosed up idea that means democracy fundamentally cannot work? If a citizen can't get truthful information then how can they vote? Although I feel like this is not strictly capitalist in nature and is just fascist so maybe the corporate plot kicked in a little late cause they waited for guys like butler to be thoroughly dead.

e2: man if we need people like that to form some eternal vanguard of democracy maybe the whole thing really is just hosed
the news is owned undemocratically by a tiny group of self-serving capitalists who serve audiences to other groups of capitalists

I don't think you can get any decent news out of such an organization and hierarchy

you might be able to get decent news out of democratically run news organizations dedicated to the public good

also you can't have democracy under capitalism and lots of important massive decisions that affect citizens' lives is nominally and explicitly undemocratic under corporate power. there is zero pretense here

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

this is disgusting

are they nickel metal halide or actual lithium or what? guess I should google big clive

Actual lithium ion batteries, perfectly good. All it's missing is the chip to actually charge them and a port to plug in.

e: Here's the BigClive video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5korWqCcsHE

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 13:47 on Oct 9, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

uh a thing came out some time ago where electronics that were manufactured in china (90%) often have a small extra chip installed next to the CPU that is not part of the specifications. This chip looks like a regular surface mount resistor or coupler but is actually a full blown chip with its own code and all that, it's no basic electrical component. Some versions are embedded between the layers of the circuit board and can only be detected with specialized equipment.

Amazon, Apple, and like 30 other US companies ended up with this chip unknowingly installed in the servers that run Alexa and Siri and a bunch of other stuff. It's not fully known the extent.

This allows China's military access to all devices with the chip, because the chip is essentially a gatekeeper at the extreme lowest level and has control over what CPU instructions are run and how. This allows operating system and firmware control so that actual sophisticated instructions can be deployed to the target hardware.

basically if you give a poo poo about security you might as well just go Kaczynski and say gently caress it to society. The capitalist octopus with tentacles over the earth is wrong, it's a constant turbofuck from all directions and nobody knows nothin no more

I'm not sure where you got "90%" or "often" from, so far the only boards claimed to be affected are very specific SuperMicro ones and even then nobody has been able to independently actually find that chip or corroborate the story. Making an implant chip for 90% of all electronics ever that could still actually... do anything useful... would either require making something custom for each and every product or making something magic that could interface with each and every product.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

I'm not sure where you got "90%" or "often" from, so far the only boards claimed to be affected are very specific SuperMicro ones and even then nobody has been able to independently actually find that chip or corroborate the story. Making an implant chip for 90% of all electronics ever that could still actually... do anything useful... would either require making something custom for each and every product or making something magic that could interface with each and every product.

im "90%" sure you wouldn't even have to put a physical implant in a device to do something like this ( https://github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/rosenbridge for example even though this one "only" targets VIA C3 cpus) which makes it even more suspect imo, but also it's funny to be worried about china doing something like this when you know nsa and fsb have probably been in the same game for years

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Didn't Stuxnet end up on the ISS somehow?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Charging a battery (at the factory), using it, and then throwing it away is definitely not more environmentally friendly than charging a battery, using it, recharging it (at home), using it, recharging it, using it, recharging it [repeat based on life of battery], and then throwing it away. The plastic bag analogy is... not analogous.

I was talking about the actual plastic bags and not the moron's idea that charging lithium batteries is worse than making them in the first place

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/CNNBusiness/status/579871001103630336

Won't someone think of all the super rich??? :negative:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I volunteer the be the security guy as long as it mostly involves napping and letting the wrong people through the gate because they tricked or distracted me.

Actually, I volunteer even if I have to be decent at it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Luxury... costs money? What the hell???

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Taintrunner posted:

speaking of phones uh lol

These two make me laugh. I hate to think of who looks at a disposable phone battery and thinks 'Wow! So convenient!' especially when reusable ones have existed for ages.

I want to believe the iced coffee is a joke, because that's just too ridiculous.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the $75,000 "housekeeper" salary

that is to say, I wish I was

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
think buying expensive things costs no money? think again

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Bloop posted:

Half that goes to the contracting company, i'm sure.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Bloop posted:

$45,000 for the housekeeping agency, $30,000 for the housekeeper.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
It's probably more of a 60,000/15,000 split if we're being real here.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

in the actual scenario when youd need them the disposable phone batteries are somewhat cheap and the rechargeable ones are always insanely overpriced

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Outrail posted:

$20,000 for the housekeeper, $55,000 to the journalist so they make up numbers to make you look better

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
they could always give up the money if its such a burden...
or they could give up their head

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

they could always give up the money if its such a burden...
or they could give up their head

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dairy Days posted:

im "90%" sure you wouldn't even have to put a physical implant in a device to do something like this ( https://github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/rosenbridge for example even though this one "only" targets VIA C3 cpus) which makes it even more suspect imo, but also it's funny to be worried about china doing something like this when you know nsa and fsb have probably been in the same game for years

That's the other thing though, going back to the original topic of not rooting your phone, generally the point isn't to prevent a nation state attack against you since if they want to they'll do it anyway, there's plenty of other possible methods. The point is to prevent low-hanging garbage exploits from hoovering up all your poo poo for identity theft, then using your phone as part of a botnet to take down the entire internet backbone of Qatar or whatever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Farm Frenzy posted:

in the actual scenario when youd need them the disposable phone batteries are somewhat cheap and the rechargeable ones are always insanely overpriced

You can get them for $5 at Five Below.

TheMostFrench posted:

These two make me laugh. I hate to think of who looks at a disposable phone battery and thinks 'Wow! So convenient!' especially when reusable ones have existed for ages.

I want to believe the iced coffee is a joke, because that's just too ridiculous.

Apparently it's from Australia so I believe it

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

TheMostFrench posted:

The iced coffee thing is just taken out of context. They're not selling you a 'coffee to iced coffee converter' to take home. 7-11 is prepacking ice in a cup that's probably fits their coffee lids and is more heat resistant than their big gulp to pour their hot coffee into it. This also gets them out of the liability of someone pouring hot coffee in a cup then adding ice and getting splashed.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

The iced coffee thing is just taken out of context. They're not selling you a 'coffee to iced coffee converter' to take home. 7-11 is prepacking ice in a cup that's probably fits their coffee lids and is more heat resistant than their big gulp to pour their hot coffee into it. This also gets them out of the liability of someone pouring hot coffee in a cup then adding ice and getting splashed.

Does it cost more than a normal cup of coffee of the same size, because if so it's still real funny :colbert:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
search your heart, you know the answer in hellworld

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Outrail posted:

$45,000 for the housekeeping agency, $30,000 for the housekeeper.

$20,000 to the housekeeping agency
$15,000 to the housekeeper
$40,000 in hush money for the illegitimate child

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Alucard posted:

someone help me budget this i am not good at oppressing the proles

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
it's a lithium battery so they're selling people a rechargeable battery as a single-use product, holy moly

these entrepreneurs should be disposed of IMO

also when society falls apart and I become benevolent dictator of the region formally known as Cascadia, I'm going to execute the techbros

Homocow has issued a correction as of 21:03 on Oct 9, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dead Beef posted:

it's a lithium battery so they're selling people a rechargeable battery as a single-use product, holy moly

these entrepreneurs should be disposed of IMO

There's actually several non-rechargeable lithium chemistries out there too, but as already noted yeah this is a rechargeable because they're just plain cheap now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

World War Mammories posted:

someone help me budget this i am not good at oppressing the proles

Stop impregnating the help.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
no just pay the help much less

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

There's actually several non-rechargeable lithium chemistries out there too, but as already noted yeah this is a rechargeable because they're just plain cheap now.

I just went and loosely parted it out on octopart and the cost of adding (brand-name, well-sourced) parts to allow that thing to be recharged, plus a USB micro input connector, would raise the cost of production a whopping... ~50 cents. That's assuming you don't use one of the hybrid charge / discharge chips that does both jobs, or share any of the other hardware with existing components, and you bought solid, quality parts instead of the cheapest counterfeits you could find.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Shame Boy posted:

I just went and loosely parted it out on octopart and the cost of adding (brand-name, well-sourced) parts to allow that thing to be recharged, plus a USB micro input connector, would raise the cost of production a whopping... ~50 cents. That's assuming you don't use one of the hybrid charge / discharge chips that does both jobs, or share any of the other hardware with existing components, and you bought solid, quality parts instead of the cheapest counterfeits you could find.

but if they did that then you wouldnt be forced to buy a new one each time

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gum posted:

but if they did that then you wouldnt be forced to buy a new one each time

I mean you would anyway because you'd never remember to bring it with you when you need it :argh:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I see lotsa complaining in here and nobody guillotining...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bernie will improve their budget by making sure they get free room and board.

In his gulag

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Alucard posted:

You can just take the Marx route and convince your buddy to claim paternity

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

:wrong: thats the bootlicking shithead in your brain fooling you

1. theres already free heat resistant cups
2. there's already free ice (softdrinks)
3. theyve had hot coffee and free ice for decades and it's only become a problem now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Former DILF posted:

:wrong: thats the bootlicking shithead in your brain fooling you

1. theres already free heat resistant cups
2. there's already free ice (softdrinks)
3. theyve had hot coffee and free ice for decades and it's only become a problem now?

According to the Reddit post that picture is attached to it's in Australia where they don't have soda fountains. I don't know how accurate that is because I'm in 'Merica where I can get a gallon of soda for $1 though