Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah maybe and split it with the people who have already designed a great working app that we've all been using for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Could "Close Thread" not be the first entry in the menu? I accidentally closed my thread a few times when I just wanted to post an update on the go.

Anyone else had problems with this?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Could "Close Thread" not be the first entry in the menu? I accidentally closed my thread a few times when I just wanted to post an update on the go.

Hmm, I don't even know what menu you're talking about. Do you not use the swipe rightward to go back to thread list from a specific thread?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sourdough posted:

Hmm, I don't even know what menu you're talking about. Do you not use the swipe rightward to go back to thread list from a specific thread?

He means close as in disallow posting in a thread he'd created, not exiting the thread.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lurking Haro posted:

I've done this several dozen times probably, it's kind of funny, but at the same time it wouldn't hurt to have close thread moved to the bottom of the list, since it's presumably a seldom (intentionally) used function.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'll move it and probably add a RLY??? dialog too

I'll see what I can do about the links, it handles one kind fine (the links you get in a quote) but I never realised the other kind was broken

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Hey I would like to help make app better. The state of the GitHub tickets and stuff looks a little out of date, how do you guys coordinate?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Co....ornate??

welcome friend! yeah a lot of the tickets are old but most are still relevant, just nobody's got around to them - partly because the backend is being slowly rewritten to make them less of a pain

If there's an obvious issue that we can't immediately fix it usually gets put up as an issue, like I didn't do for the stuff I just fixed :ohdear: We also have a bit of chat in the dev thread. I'm feeling like I need to add some tickets now for work in progress....

Dev thread is probably the best place to talk about it. What are you into? It's UI stuff isn't it. Great!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Oh poo poo we still have tickets from 2012.

But yeah, all the tickets that are still open are relevant in one way or another. Development has just slowed down as the app gets better, because it got better. Dogfooding development versions is bad idea especially.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
HELLO FRIENDS how do I define my custom theme as OLED again for the pure black background?

It's still arc.oled.css but this is three devices and I'm uncertain how many versions since my theme was last edited.

E: I had to wave a chicken over the margin/padding for the overflow menu, too.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 25, 2018

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ArcMage posted:

HELLO FRIENDS how do I define my custom theme as OLED again for the pure black background?

It's still arc.oled.css but this is three devices and I'm uncertain how many versions since my theme was last edited.

E: I had to wave a chicken over the margin/padding for the overflow menu, too.

Everything will be different soon

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Gosh fine then.

I suppose I can start casing and pasting in anticipation.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
How come Awful fails to download Imgur images from the image menu? What can I do to fix it?

No other images fail to download, only Imgur ones. Usually there's a two minute delay after tapping "Download Image" then a notification saying it failed. The images have no problem loading in the thread.

Also still always requesting gifv/mp4 sharing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It doesn't for me? I use it in BSS all the time to zoom in on panels

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Just out of curiosity (and I'm aware that nobody in here is responsible for it), does anyone know what happened to Something.Apk? It vanished from the Play store in the past couple of months and I just realized the thread for it was archived in February 2017.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Lack of interest vs maintenance effort I guess. Once the app had more or less the state that it has now, the original author gave up ownership to the goon who ran chrome SALR at the time. With lowtax breaking things every 2 months I guess at some point it wasn't worth it to maintain.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It actually still works fine except for Tweets which show broken images (but you can tap on them to open them and the only Tweet-heavy thread I read is the Red Panda one so whatever). So yeah I'm an idiot and I still use it. I should really switch back to Awful but I always liked the navigation flow better in Something and nothing has broken enough to make me actually do the switch. But I'm sure it'll happen at some point. If anyone is desperate for the last something APK I can pull it for them.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm a filthy phone posting peasant who migrated from iphone to android, I am liking this fine app very much. Is there any chance of thread creation on the horizon? I saw something neat I'd like to post in GBS so I can be told it is not neat or funny.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
iOS has certain system affordances that made it trivial to support thread creation over there. Android lacks those affordances.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Ok, thanks for the explanation anyway :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I’m just loving around, sorry. That’s a complete lie. It’s a common request and the devs just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
It's a quality control feature

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Actually, we're petitioning Lowtax to remove the thread creation feature from the desktop version as well.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Tunga posted:

It actually still works fine except for Tweets which show broken images (but you can tap on them to open them and the only Tweet-heavy thread I read is the Red Panda one so whatever). So yeah I'm an idiot and I still use it. I should really switch back to Awful but I always liked the navigation flow better in Something and nothing has broken enough to make me actually do the switch. But I'm sure it'll happen at some point. If anyone is desperate for the last something APK I can pull it for them.

I switched to Something a long-rear end time ago when it was, by comparisonto Awful, way faster. I jumped back to Awful recently when the embedded images in tweets broke in Something. There's only one thing I miss, which is that there weren't two different swipe-right gestures. In Awful you swipe from mid-screen to pull out the bookmarks and the entire breadth of the screen to pull out the menu. I access the former interface with tremendously greater frequency than the latter, but find the latter gesture to be tremendously more natural than the former. Maddening.

(I suppose I also enjoy the forums' default topic-tags more than the square reworks that Awful includes, but I sympathize with the druthers guiding that particular design choice.)

Either way, though, Awful is a good fukkin app.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I’m just loving around, sorry. That’s a complete lie. It’s a common request and the devs just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

No, you were right. Apple started putting in the shitpost hardware acceleration chip back in 2014.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wish item: If a scroll up at the end of the thread causes the app to look for new posts it shouldn't go to the top of the page if there are none.

Sometimes I'm just scrolling quickly down to the last few posts of a thread I've already read and it refreshes + jumps back to the top of the page. The refresh is good to have, but the jump to the top of the page is not.

Edit: it also scrolls to the top of the page on post. Would be good if both these actions went to the bottom of the page instead if there are no new posts.

The app works fine in Chrome OS using its Android app support, by the way. It resizes and reflows well. There's some weird interaction where swiping back to the thread list sometimes selects a word which causes the copy/search dialog to pop up and remain forever unless you click on it, but I don't know if that's the app's issue.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 6, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

v1ld posted:

Wish item: If a scroll up at the end of the thread causes the app to look for new posts it shouldn't go to the top of the page if there are none.

Sometimes I'm just scrolling quickly down to the last few posts of a thread I've already read and it refreshes + jumps back to the top of the page. The refresh is good to have, but the jump to the top of the page is not.

Edit: it also scrolls to the top of the page on post. Would be good if both these actions went to the bottom of the page instead if there are no new posts.

The app works fine in Chrome OS using its Android app support, by the way. It resizes and reflows well. There's some weird interaction where swiping back to the thread list sometimes selects a word which causes the copy/search dialog to pop up and remain forever unless you click on it, but I don't know if that's the app's issue.

Neither of those happen for me, just checked. Refresh and posting briefly show the top of the page but then show the last post in the thread

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Neither of those happen for me, just checked. Refresh and posting briefly show the top of the page but then show the last post in the thread

Whoops, you're right. I've been impatient and scroll again instead of waiting for the jump to the end. Won't do that again, thanks.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

pokeyman posted:

I�m just loving around, sorry. That�s a complete lie. It�s a common request and the devs just haven�t gotten around to it yet.

Am I just on crack or are apostrophes showing up all weird as of today?

Test'ing

uncivil mittens
Nov 1, 2010
Fun Shoe
Half are weird for me, half aren't. Posting from a motog5 for reference.

uncivil mittens fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 9, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Scaramouche posted:

Test'ing

Same.
They look like this: �

code:

�

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Test'ing

That post you quoted is all garbled but everything else seems fine to me.

Lots of apostrophe'd posts that are displaying just fine.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Same here on the apostrophes. I'm not sure if there's a common factor, it's just weird.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Using amberpos

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
The apostrophe thing is happening on the desktop browser too. *Just SA things!*

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It's probably something doing "smart" quotes. I noticed it more in Apple threads so maybe it's the ios app?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

People are saying it's happening with old posts too so probly someone's changed the encoding or whatever

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah the BooCS thread is saying old ones too. Someone implied it was an encoding change at the DB level which I could see, these entities are stored as smart quotes internally but we're sanitzed at some point on output. Probably from non-english keyboards/weird Mac stuff.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

It's not just smart quotes, some foreign characters with accents are also broken I think.

See this post

MatchaZed fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Can confirm it's happening on desktop as well. Probably Lowtax messing with the code, since everyone else to messes with it seems to die from Radium poisoning...

Edit
It's not Lowtax, but it is someone else:

Lowtax posted:

In other news, we're (still) working on re-indexing the search, as there have been, ahem, "difficulties" in my attempt to contact ZDR, so I had to set somebody else up with access to the db, and they're still trying to figure out how the virtual server worms powering our AMAZING CLOUD SERVICES function. I just wanted you all to know that we're aware of the issue and actively working on it.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 9, 2018