Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shibawanko posted:

I can't think of a single case where it adds something

we learned that megaman can't read very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPExPxuxvQs&t=198s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shibawanko posted:

WC2 briefings.

e: Upon further review of all our objections, it has become clear to me that it is counterintuitively only GOOD voice acting that is utterly pointless.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 9, 2018

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

EvilGenius posted:

"Videogames can tell stories just as good as books or movies".

(Videogame tells story through bits of a book that you have to find).

Or

(Videogame tells story by showing you clips of a movie every now and again).

lol do you really think that written text = "book" and animation = "movies"?

ill bet youre the type of person who calls all soda "coke"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Kamikaze Raider posted:

lol do you really think that written text = "book" and animation = "movies"?

ill bet youre the type of person who calls all soda "coke"

I mean, movie is just "moving pictures." A lot of Pixar shorts are roughly the length of most cut scenes.

And you could absolutely fill a small book with some of the giant codexes of flavor text you find stuffed in a lot of game's menus.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Verisimilidude posted:

Fallout 3 was terrible garbage, Fallout New Vegas ruled, but then they made Fallout 4 even somehow worse than Fallout 3.

If you go into 4 looking for the same kind of experience you had with either of the previous games, like I did, you're gonna be disappointed. They're completely different genres.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

the voice acting is so unbelievably bad in Dragon Quest 11. I'm enjoying the playthrough I'm watching but the accents are painful to listen to. When I play someday I'd like to switch to the original Japanese but oh well the Japanese version doesn't have voice acting

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

The narrator in Space Quest VI was worth it.

Gary Owens is great in that and IV

Your utterances fall on uninterested aural organs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Shibawanko posted:

You know what? gently caress you, Larry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuZCCS8DW4A

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, movie is just "moving pictures." A lot of Pixar shorts are roughly the length of most cut scenes.

And you could absolutely fill a small book with some of the giant codexes of flavor text you find stuffed in a lot of game's menus.

Just stop with the bad posting already

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Twelve Batmans posted:

Incorrect. Show-not-tell works pretty exclusively for movies. But not for the medium of games. Many of the most interesting and memorable parts of certain games/series come from finding random scraps. "Itchy tasty" is a big one from the Resident Evil series. I also enjoy how the connection between the worlds of Drakengard and Nier is completely overlooked unless you do extra stuff in the latter and find a series of journals/newspaper clippings that describe one of the endings in the former game and tie the two universes together. Bloodborne also tells a great degree of it's story both in item descriptions/journals.

That's not what "Show, Don't Tell" means; it's a writing technique where instead of directly explaining and summarizing things you use words to paint a picture of what's happening. It's fine to have words and dialog in movies and video games, some of the most effective scenes in film are just 1 or 2 people talking.

Many of those description/journal snippets in Bloodborne use "Show, Don't Tell"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Just stop with the bad posting already

I appreciate your concern but my PC is booting fine.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Good soup! posted:

Gary Owens is great in that and IV

Your utterances fall on uninterested aural organs.

Excellent guess, Kreskin. Wrong, but excellent.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

That's not what "Show, Don't Tell" means; it's a writing technique where instead of directly explaining and summarizing things you use words to paint a picture of what's happening. It's fine to have words and dialog in movies and video games, some of the most effective scenes in film are just 1 or 2 people talking.

Many of those description/journal snippets in Bloodborne use "Show, Don't Tell"

No, "show, don't tell" in BB would be the scenes you encounter throughout the game and how they change as the Hunter's dream opens up more to the player. For instance, the Fake Iosefka and that whole mess, the murder of the prostitute, etc. etc. Those item descriptions are literal Tell.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Twelve Batmans posted:

No, "show, don't tell" in BB would be the scenes you encounter throughout the game and how they change as the Hunter's dream opens up more to the player. For instance, the Fake Iosefka and that whole mess, the murder of the prostitute, etc. etc. Those item descriptions are literal Tell.

Sometime they're Tell, sometimes they're Show.

For instance:

quote:

"A trick weapon used by Old Hunters. This thick iron cleaver slices through the toughest of beast hides, and when transformed the blade splits into sections, allowing one to lash it in the fashion of a heavy whip. This crude weapon relies on brute force and is regrettably inelegant, suggesting that the hunts of the earliest hunters made for horrific affairs, painted in sanguine black and reds."

That's an example of pretty good Show. The Tell version of this could be something like "An iron cleaver that turns into a whip"

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

I'm trying to imagine playing Star Ocean 2 without the voice acting and it's horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loVFaxvO4zA&t=8s

e: this is the only case where voice acting is an important part of the experience.

aegof fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 9, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

aegof posted:

I'm trying to imagine playing Star Ocean 2 without the voice acting and it's horrible.

i love that they were so proud of their voice acting they made you collect all of the clips as a meta-game to 100% it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Oh yeah, I take it back

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer

"Disarm ze dynamite!"
"Thirty seconds, schnell, schnell!"
"Dynamite planted."
"Dynamite defused."
"Dynamite planted."
"Disarm ze dynamite!"

Makes the whole experience click.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess now we know that Mega Man just keeps this guy around so he's not the dumbest person in the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

signalnoise posted:

You know what? gently caress you, Larry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuZCCS8DW4A

Huh, twd video game kind of was dumb

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer

"Disarm ze dynamite!"
"Thirty seconds, schnell, schnell!"
"Dynamite planted."
"Dynamite defused."
"Dynamite planted."
"Disarm ze dynamite!"

Makes the whole experience click.

Really bad and/or out of place accents are always the best part of video game voice acting. See Deus Ex. Also the inexplicable Kiwi in New Vegas.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

Lol that was definitely way worse than I remember. I like how getting people to not eat it was his main concern vs helping the dude who just got his legs lobbed off.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

aegof posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loVFaxvO4zA&t=8s

e: this is the only case where voice acting is an important part of the experience.

Craude has advanced forward

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

it was really bad but everyone flipped their poo poo because there had been such a long drought for adventure games that basically anything that even looked a little like one was getting high praise

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
World in Conflict has a film or miniseries quality story and makes all other military/war games look childish.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

it was really bad but everyone flipped their poo poo because there had been such a long drought for adventure games that basically anything that even looked a little like one was getting high praise

It wasn't really bad. It had some really good character development and the end experience was really enjoyable, but there was a lot of boring/dumb crap in between. Even at the time and being a fan of it, I couldn't believe it won all those GOTY awards.

Kind of like how PUBG was winning all sort of GOTY awards a year or 2 ago when it's actually a loving horrid game, but I guess the admittedly good novelty was enough to carry it to the top.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Graphic posted:

World in Conflict has a film or miniseries quality story and makes all other military/war games look childish.

World War 1 Medic makes World in Conflict look like Hellcats of the Navy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

QuarkJets posted:

I like Lee and Clem :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

There's a lot of cases like this in pretty much all media; when a particular genre and/or audience segment feels underserved, they'll latch on to anything that's aimed at their niche even if it's not that good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I like Lee and Clem :(

I liked those characters, too

But I did not like playing that game

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

QuarkJets posted:

This doesn't make any sense. Telltale was already steadily pumping out real adventure games before that, and TWD was their least adventure game ever.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Barudak posted:

World War 1 Medic makes World in Conflict look like Hellcats of the Navy

WW1 Medic has no story. I didn't say "World in Conflict is the most hardcore, edgy, darkest war game." I said it has a story that makes other war games seem like Michael Bay movies, even the ones that are explicitly trying to not be Michael Bay (i.e. trying to be anti-CoDs).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Lol that was definitely way worse than I remember. I like how getting people to not eat it was his main concern vs helping the dude who just got his legs lobbed off.

Hrmmm... I could warn everyone that our lives are in danger, and that these people served you our friend's legs, so dude's life has effectively ended and we need to get the gently caress out...

but Larry is such a dick

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Also, note that the only line uttered by Lee before "gently caress you larry" was just "Clementine, no!" Lee already saved their lives before, everyone coming out with a fuckin axe to grind makes no sense at all

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Randallteal posted:

This doesn't make any sense. Telltale was already steadily pumping out real adventure games before that, and TWD was their least adventure game ever.

Yeah but no one played those games.

e: Here, it's simple:

- Everyone bought The Walking Dead because it had the same name and setting as a very popular TV series, and also everyone was still riding the popularity wave of zombies in media
- Everyone playing The Walking Dead was like "Wow it's been so long since I played an adventure game! This is so great!" Even though it barely qualifies as an adventure game, had pretty bad gameplay and narrative, and upon replay the illusion of "your choice matters!" completely shatters. So it wins a bunch of awards because it did innovate on the adventure game formula in some good ways but ultimately it just marked that the dry spell was over. Tons of the big names from adventuring gaming in the 80s and 90s were suddenly on kickstarter and getting projects funded

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 10, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't want my choices to matter except in the sense that if I make the wrong choice, I lose the game. Branching storylines suck rear end.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

I don't want my choices to matter except in the sense that if I make the wrong choice, I lose the game. Branching storylines suck rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLSviwsbA_k&t=27s

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Remember, no matter how dull and unforgettable the waking dead games were, they are an order of magnitude more interesting than the dull namesake of a tv show which has somehow shat out 100+ episodes with no sign of stopping.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

microsoft is buying obsidian lol

theyll make 1 more game, it'll be a clumsy xbone exclusive that won't sell, and they'll shutter the studio after

gently caress this gay earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
does obsidian even own any valuable IP? i thought they licensed everything