Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2020 All Star Break

61-36, .629. Tied for 1st, NL West

Good news: we are in a dogfight with the mighty Dodgers for 1st place. Our pitching staff picked up Paxton's slack, and then some. Quantrill and Lucchesi (what?) made the all star game, and our bullpen is still excellent, though not as lights-out as they were early on.

Bad news: we just lost our two best offensive players for extended periods: FTJ for 6 weeks on an oblique, and Bryan Reynolds for a month with a broken thumb. I called up Seth Beer to help. He's been hitting well in limited ABs.

Mejia, Dakota Hudson, and Justin Wilson also made the all star team. They like our bullpen.

Very little of interest on the trading block for now, aside from Jurickson Profar, although he wouldn't be a huge upgrade over how Urias has been playing.

VOTE

Is there anything we want to do at the deadline? We could buy, but there aren't a lot of guys on the block or in the last years of their deal, and teams are asking a lot for guys that are out there. We could also consider selling. Dylan Cozens seems like a possibility, to open up a spot for Beer, or we could see what Eovaldi could bring in...with a view to bringing up MacKenzie Gore, who has ripped apart AAA this year.

We could also just stay put, and see how far these guys can go.

Upload will be complete shortly.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
We got this far by selling, so I believe in trusting the process by continuing to sell.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Stay put. We're still a year ahead of schedule and almost all of our current pieces will be back next year. If anyone offers anything particularly enticing, maybe think about it, but no reason to buy until we're for sure going for it.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

We're a year ahead. I say we stay put for now and see what the kids can do.

Unless there's a can't miss offer of course.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

We're a year ahead. I say we stay put for now and see what the kids can do.

Unless there's a can't miss offer of course.
:same:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Float Eovaldi and take an offer if it's good. He's currently our fifth starter anyway.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Stay put unless something ridiculous comes through the inbox.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I am in no way demonstrating my recency bias by saying we should try to trade for Brock Holt ASAP

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Stay Put we got where we are by trusting in the system, and with OUR guys. Even if we don't WIN IT ALL this year, we are poised for greatness.

That being said, if we can steal a quality player with 2 or 3 years of club control left, well, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Stay Put but keep an ear to the ground, maybe we can get our version of 2017 Verlander even after the non-waiver deadline.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
End of the 2020 regular season

100-62, .617. 1st place, NL West

Well....we did it. A year early!

Nothing of interest happened at the deadline. There were a few mildly interesting offers on Cozens, but since he was hitting well and we were in first, it didn't make much sense not to keep him. Eovaldi brought nothing, and anyway, he caught fire the second half.

We were in a fight with the Dodgers right to the end. We had some key injuries late in the year, but we had the depth to compensate and hardly missed a beat.

The Good
- Our pitching was incredible, top to bottom. Cole caught fire the last two months, as did Eov. Quantrill finished with 6.2 WAR and 197 Ks in 182 IP. Lucchesi was inexplicably outstanding (but is out for the year). We had the best bullpen in the NL, and the 2nd best starting pitching. That, plus our 4th ranked defense led us to give up the lowest runs in the league.

- FTJ is the truth. He slashed 320/393/524, and put up 5.3 WAR in only 119 games. He missed over a month with injury, though.

- Almost all of our hitters showed improvement. Bobby Bradley finished with 46 dingers and an 832 OPS. Justin Williams compensated for a bad first half with a tremendous second half, and finished with 306/349/498 and 3.8 WAR. Luis Urias and Allen Cordoba were both about average hitters, with plus gloves. Bryan Reynods led the team with 6.4 WAR, slashing 316/393/484 and plus defense in center. Mejia was the only disappointing hitter (258/312/439), but he still finished with 2.4 WAR thanks to his quality glove work.

- Attendance went through the drat roof: up 65% over last year. We drew nearly 3 million fans this year. Our revenue went up by $17m, and that's before playoff money!

- Gore and Lewis are both ML-ready, now. I didn't call them up but maybe should have.

The Bad

- Phil Maton's career might be over thanks to a labrum tear

- Several of our elite prospects had pretty disappointing seasons, including Luciano, Barco, and Espinoza.

All in all it was a great year, far better than I expected, especially from the young bats.

We are looking at the very, very good Washington Nationals in the NLDS.

Our PLAYOFF lineup:
Reynolds, CF
Urias, 2B
Williams, LF
Bradley, 1B
FTJ, 3B
Mejia, C
Cozens, RF
Cordoba, SS

Playoff starters are Cole, Quantrill, and Eovaldi.

I will sim the playoffs later tonite, and post box scores for each game. I'll do a full upload after the season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
gently caress yes, go us!

EDIT: I'm gonna apply for an FO position in San Diego and send this thread as my reference.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 9, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:lol: we turned the Padres into a 100 win team in one year.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

:lol: we turned the Padres into a 100 win team in one year.

We definitely made some smart moves (and had more than one WTF trade from the AI despite it being on hard-mode) but having that farm system really greased the skids for us.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Huh, it turns out that if you build a fun exciting team, more people will go watch them. Which means you'll have more money to spend on making a fun exciting team. Go figure.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i don't even pretend to follow baseball why is this thing so compelling

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Coolguye posted:

i don't even pretend to follow baseball why is this thing so compelling

Because it's basically a spreadsheet game

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Because it's basically a spreadsheet game

r u sayin im a spreadsheet nerd

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Coolguye posted:

r u sayin im a spreadsheet nerd

I've seen your posts in the Stardew Valley thread

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fair cop

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2020 NLDS: San Diego Padres vs Washington Nationals

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

2020 NLDS: San Diego Padres vs Washington Nationals

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Game 4

:rip: :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Godammit. BRING ON THE FREE AGENT SPENDING SPREE.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well, we saw what the kids had and it wasn't quite enough. Time to open the wallets and build us a loving dynasty.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason 2020

Well, that was giant wet fart. Still, our first playoffs since 2006 isn't too bad. THE PROCESS is still going strong; we still have the best pipeline in the game even after graduating THREE top 10 guys in the last year.

Our owner, despite turnover of nearly $140mm last year, has given us an initial budget of $118m. This gives us about $9m for both free agents and extensions.

VOTE

OFFSEASON STRATEGY

Issue #1: our general strategy this offseason

A - Tank. It would be actually really hard to tank at this point.

B - Target mediocrity. See: A.

C - Stay with what we have, more or less. We really don't have any gaping holes in the roster at this point, and we don't have the money to go after any big name free agents. We can target some budget guys in depth positions later in the offseason.

D - Trade some of our younger talent for proven players in one or more positions. This would obviously cost us $$$ that we may not have and will shorten THE WINDOW some, but it may get us to the series faster.

Issue #2 is not really an issue: I think we keep all team personnel right where they are. If anyone disagrees, make your arguments very strong.

Issue #3 is options, extensions, and arbitration.

For options, I say we take the option on both Eovaldi and Wilson. Eovaldi may not have a spot in the rotation in the spring depending on how Gore comes along and how Lucchesi heals, but he'll be a decent trade piece in ST if he doesn't. Wilson is a no brainer, he was the best LHRP in the game last year and was a big part of our success in the bullpen.

For arbitration, I say we withdraw the offers for Carter Capps and Jose Pirela. Expect to pay Lucchesi and Cordoba between 4 and 4.5mm a piece.

For extensions, I don't see anyone we should target as of yet...UNLESS we want to try and ink Lucchesi to a 3 or 4 year discount deal. This is a bit risky as he's coming off just one good season and an arm injury, but it is a great tactic for a poor-rear end team like ours.

Issue #4 is trades. We have a glut of starting pitchers, outfielders, and potentially shortstops.

- For pitchers, we have Cole and Quantill at all-star level, Baez, Lucchesi, Hudson, and Eovaldi as 3-5 level guys, and a very major league ready MacKenzie Gore. Is "too much pitching" a thing? Should we shop one or more of these guys?

- For outfielders, we have more or less the same problem as last year: do we want to try and move corner OF? Cozens, Beer, and Williams are our three guys, and we have a solid prospect to backfill the 4th OF slot in Michael Gettys.

For shorstops, Allen Cordoba had a drat fine year, putting up 3.2 wins. He's hitting arbitration this year and is looking at a 4-4.5mm salary. The reason we're even considering trading him is Royce Lewis is ready as gently caress. Cost controlled young shortstops are VERY valuable, and Cordoba could bring back something useful. Conversely, he can play every position in the infield and outfield, and it might not be a bad idea to keep him around just in case Lewis does not meet his lofty expectations, but $4m is quite a bit to pay for a utility guy.

Of course if you have any other trade target suggestions, free agent suggestions, or any other potential moves, propose them!

Upload should be finished shortly.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Artix posted:

Well, we saw what the kids had and it wasn't quite enough. Time to open the wallets and build us a loving dynasty.

(opens wallet)

(nods slowly)

(closes wallet)

For reference, we have a $118mm budget this season, which should go up a bit later in the winter. This supports a $75mm payroll, and league average development and scouting budgets, and a pretty cheap coaching staff.

The Evil Dodger Empire has a $308mm budget. They have more money available ($78mm) this offseason for free agent signings than we do in our entire payroll.

Clayton Kershaw by himself makes almost as much as our entire team put together if you take away Cole's salary.

Amusing offseason notes: Magic sold the Dodgers (to another "generous" guy) and Jon Lester decided to run for congress.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think I'd take the boring route and stand pat. The pitching was great and the hitting was real good. Plus the expectation should be that the hitting will get better as the young guys develop. The big moves should maybe come at the trade deadline when you know the injury situation and which young guys just didn't develop enough.

As for the money, I actually like the idea of trying to get a team friendly deal for Lucchesi. From the looks of it, he really developed his control and was a top of the rotation guy last season when healthy. His BB/9 was incredible which should play well at Petco. If it's possible to front load the deal, it should help down the road financially. There are a lot of guys who are entering arbitration in the coming years and it doesn't look like the owner is keen on spending.

If you do spend, I'd say focus on real short deals for maybe a solid relief pitcher. My concern in the bullpen is that Wilson or Treinen will hit a decline next season as their age gets up there (it looks like Kirby Yates did this). The bullpen is pretty old. Not sure how the minor league pipeline looks when it comes to the pen, but I don't think you can ever have too many good arms in the pen. Maybe a 2 year deal for a good arm that can then replace Wilson after next season.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Keep Cordoba, if Lewis is bad/injured then our only other SS option is Estrada, who is pretty bad. See if you can pick up rotation depth or a good bullpen arm for Cozens or Beer.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I admit to not knowing much about this particular game or the present state of baseball in general, but would it be worth it to kick some of that money into our backend stuff like development and coaching instead? It sounds like we already have a pretty solid roster and set of prospects, so why not polish them to a shine, especially if we can't afford any big deals anyway.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The goon hivemind should buy a real team, we're doing so well.

I also agree with option C, to stand pat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Stick with C for now, unless ownership gives us some actual money to throw around.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Stick with C

stay the course

the kids are just gonna get better with another year's seasoning, and the owner'll stop being a tightwad once our ticket sales stay strong

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, C. we're doing fine and. We made the playoffs a year early. If something /amazing/ comes our way sure, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Agree with C

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
What state/district is Lester running for congress in?

edit: and what party :ohdear:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I'm going against the consensus and picking D. Go big or go home.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

We've got 6 quality starters. This means we have 5 starters and a great middle / long reliever & fill in for when one inevitably gets hurt.

Cole / Quantrill as the aces and Eovaldi, Lucchesi, Baez and Hudson fighting for 3-5. Worst Spring Training guy gets Long Relief.

For relief, withdraw arbitration from Strahm. He's older and we can have some young guy suck for us for cheaper than 950k. Yates is way to old and getting way to much money. Let him walk. Who is Makita and why is he 35 years old on our team of young upstarts. Get rid of him too.

We should shop Treiman. Wilson is pulling in closer numbers and Wingenter is quality enough for a setup guy. 11m is a lot of money we can spend.

Edit: I will let others look at BATS. I am gonna be just concerned with pitching!

Val Helmethead fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 10, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Looking at the roster and seeing ~75% of it on league minimum warms my heart.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Val Helmethead posted:

We should shop Treiman. Wilson is pulling in closer numbers and Wingenter is quality enough for a setup guy. 11m is a lot of money we can spend.

This...is an interesting idea.

Treinan is a top 5 RP in baseball, and we have him for the next 3 years at $11m per year, which is less than half his market value. HOWEVER, he is 32, and is pretty reliant on his velocity (as are almost all of our pitchers....) and that can be a bit of a gamble as guys enter their mid 30s...you never know when the wheels are going to fall off, especially for a reliever.

We could probably swap him one for one for a good young pre-arb reliever. Wilson will move into the closer role then, and this would probably require us to target a quality lefty reliever in trade or free agency. There's next to no way the guy we get back will be as good though, at least this season.

So...

VOTE

Do we:

A - try and swap him now, when his value is highest. Our bullpen will almost certainly take a hit short-term, but that'd free up $11m and give us a long-term solution in the pen.

B - try and swap him at the deadline. His value will probably be lower, but ol' Pete will have some more time to see what the young arms can do and maybe find us a better player in return

C - Ride him till his arm falls off

Julio Cruz posted:

Looking at the roster and seeing ~75% of it on league minimum warms my heart.

The arbitration estimates are already giving me anxiety issues. :ohdear:

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

B. Pete needs time to work his magic. Plus if Treinen is having a monster year we can always back out and trade him in the offseason.

• Locked thread