Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m looking for a complication for the middle slot of the Infograph Modular Face. The default calendar one is great and 99% perfect. It shows me my next calendar appointment and that’s what I want. It would be 100% perfect if it also told me like when that next appointment was, instead of just the time.

For example my next appointment is tomorrow a 2pm but all it says is “2pm” and not tomorrow. So it could be tomorrow, or the next day, who knows.

Any suggestions? I throught Fantastical would be the one since it’s so beloved but it hasn’t been updated with new complications for the new faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Endless Mike posted:

There's been Black Friday sales on Apple Watches like every year, even if it's just like a gift card or something. It's certainly worth waiting for that unless you need a watch right now.

Won’t apply to everyone, but if you’re a Costco member you can get them at a slight discount online. I got a 44mm black aluminum S4 for $415, plus $8.30 cash back added to a running total they cut you a check for at the end of the year. IDK what Black Friday deals are like for new watch models, but ~$25 off a month out w/ free ship to store seems decent.

Disclaimer: I wouldn’t get a membership just for this deal, but I get meds from Costco and the member only RX discount pays for the membership compared many times over compared to what I was paying at my old pharmacy. Also saved $300 on car and renter insurance. You can save a lot of money there even if you don’t buy a ton of stuff in bulk.

If you DO sign up for the deal, you’ll get a $20 or $40 gift card depending on if you get the $60 or $120 tier membership ($120 has the cash back thing). So, potentially ~$65 off all told if your circumstances are right.

eames
May 9, 2009

Sizing question: I’m looking to buy my first Apple Watch and am pretty close to ordering a 40mm stainless blind because I really dislike the look of large watches, smart or not. My wrist is 180mm. Did anybody order the smaller one blind and actually hate it?

Looking at the Apple Store iOS app’s “actual size” picture the 40mm looks “a bit too small” and the 44mm looks “way too large”.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eames posted:

Sizing question: I�m looking to buy my first Apple Watch and am pretty close to ordering a 40mm stainless blind because I really dislike the look of large watches, smart or not. My wrist is 180mm. Did anybody order the smaller one blind and actually hate it?

Looking at the Apple Store iOS app�s �actual size� picture the 40mm looks �a bit too small� and the 44mm looks �way too large�.

I would really try it on if you can.

Bestbuy should have them for you to see in person if you are close to one.

I'm not sure if I would order one blind if you aren't 100% sure.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

eames posted:

Sizing question: I�m looking to buy my first Apple Watch and am pretty close to ordering a 40mm stainless blind because I really dislike the look of large watches, smart or not. My wrist is 180mm. Did anybody order the smaller one blind and actually hate it?

Looking at the Apple Store iOS app�s �actual size� picture the 40mm looks �a bit too small� and the 44mm looks �way too large�.

The 44mm is not a big watch by modern standards. Watches are huge these days, the 44mm is pretty small in comparison, it’s extremely streamlined and smooth and has the appearance of being a much sleeker watch than normal watches in similar sizes.
Go down to Best Buy or an Apple store and try one on, and keep in mind that your initial feelings will be that any watch of notable size is “big” but really it’s something you will get used to very quickly and realize the 44mm is a perfect size with how it is really able to use that stretched screen.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wasn’t there a German dude posting here asking why their watch was telling them they were “ungesund” / unhealthy?

Apparently Weather does that in English too :v:

https://reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/9mryq1/weather_is_unhealthy/

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
That was me! Yeah on the watch it’s weird but on the phone it makes a lot more sense though it doesn’t really say who’s affected, just “certain groups”... glad it seems to be a global problem at least :v:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Zwille posted:

That was me! Yeah on the watch it�s weird but on the phone it makes a lot more sense though it doesn�t really say who�s affected, just �certain groups�... glad it seems to be a global problem at least :v:

I feel like it should say "air quality is unhealthy" or something more than just "unhealthy" next to the temperature.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Two questions. Why does everything have ¿½ in it these days?

Also, here's a boozer. I ordered my Watch from AT&T on Sept 28th and got an estimate of Nov 5 - 10. However, if I look at the page as if I were going to order today, it is, as of today, saying Oct 18 - 25 as opposed to having gone up in estimated wait time every time I had checked prior. Should I expect to get my Watch sooner?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Two questions. Why does everything have �� in it these days?

Also, here's a boozer. I ordered my Watch from AT&T on Sept 28th and got an estimate of Nov 5 - 10. However, if I look at the page as if I were going to order today, it is, as of today, saying Oct 18 - 25 as opposed to having gone up in estimated wait time every time I had checked prior. Should I expect to get my Watch sooner?

It is a database issue.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
If anyone was worried about the size of the 44 mm, it feels smaller than it is. Here is a comparison of my original Series 0 with the Series 4. (The new one is on the right)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Neat, looks rounder, too.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Two questions. Why does everything have �� in it these days?

The forum ran out of apostrophes.

Also, here is a neat essay about why so many of the watch faces are ineffective... it kind of explains why I settled on Modular about a week after I got my S0 and have never changed since. For all the faces out there, only 2-3 are actually good.

https://marco.org/2018/10/09/infograph-legibility

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I like info graph, but a lot of apps don't have complications for it yet so I haven't really switched over to it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I just wish Apple would push out an update to allow iMessages on Infographic. It’s infuriating that they didn’t allow non-Infographic complications to run on the Infographic faces.
Also, I want an all white Infographic modular face

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eames posted:

Sizing question: I’m looking to buy my first Apple Watch and am pretty close to ordering a 40mm stainless blind because I really dislike the look of large watches, smart or not. My wrist is 180mm. Did anybody order the smaller one blind and actually hate it?

Looking at the Apple Store iOS app’s “actual size” picture the 40mm looks “a bit too small” and the 44mm looks “way too large”.
The watches look a bit bigger in app iirc, cause they’re displayed flat vs being rounded and dropping off at the sides in reality. I don’t remember my wrist and don’t have a string/tape measure handy, but I remember 38 and 42mm both looking ok way back. I went with the 42 cause the band widths were wider and looked better to me.

Zwille posted:

Neat, looks rounder, too.
Yeah the bigger corner radius was the biggest tweak to the appearance. Kinda reminds me of the iOS 6-7 icon silhouette change from rounded square to squircle.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m not a large guy so I was kinda worried 44mm may be too big for me but it looks virtually indistinguishable from the older 42mm watches.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Buying my first apple watch, is the extra year of applecare worth it?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

ArcaneMan posted:

Buying my first apple watch, is the extra year of applecare worth it?

It really depends on you. I've had every watch since the S2 and never damaged one at all. My wife has smashed two in two years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wear my watch during hockey games, so it's kind of a no brainer.

If you coddle your watch and only wear it sitting at a desk or whatever you can probably skip the AC

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
On the other hand I've scratched my S2 to hell during office jobs. I underestimated how much I scrape my wrist against walls and doors and corners. To the poster with a wife, did she shatter the screen both times while wearing it? Thats what terrifies me the most.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

buglord posted:

On the other hand I've scratched my S2 to hell during office jobs. I underestimated how much I scrape my wrist against walls and doors and corners. To the poster with a wife, did she shatter the screen both times while wearing it? Thats what terrifies me the most.

It's me, the poster with a wife.

First shatter she bumped her wrist against a pole or something. She noticed but didn't think much of it... until she went swimming with it. :doh:

Second shatter happened last month. She was putting it on while walking and says she was thinking to herself 'I shouldn't do this, I'm going to drop the watch' just before she dropped and shattered it.

In both cases I wound up upgrading and she got my old one, because I get a work rebate for buying fitness stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Coq au Nandos posted:

It really depends on you. I've had every watch since the S2 and never damaged one at all. My wife has smashed two in two years.

My S2's battery swelled and popped the screen out just before it was two years old and they replaced it for free under Applecare. I understand they sometimes do it even out of warranty, though.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

My S2's battery swelled and popped the screen out just before it was two years old and they replaced it for free under Applecare. I understand they sometimes do it even out of warranty, though.

I think they're pretty quick to do that with battery stuff, partially because it's a bad look and partially because, at least in some countries, such an obvious defect would be covered by consumer law anyway.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I had a weird issue come up with my crown and dial not working anymore. AppleCare fixed it twice (ended up getting replaced). Totally recommend it - I was worrying about shattering it against something when doing something dumb and never thought about a mechanical failure.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

AppleCare for the Watch is still reasonably priced so I’d go for it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

AppleCare for the Watch is still reasonably priced so I’d go for it.

It’s like $99, right?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s like $99, right?

I think it’s actually $79.

I went with AC this time when getting the S4 because when I still had my S2 I took it off one time and threw it on the bed then watched it bounce off my bed and on to the tile and shatter the screen. Apple wanted like $229 to fix that so I said gently caress it and just sold the watch for parts or something.

It’s really worth the extra cost for AC since it’s so reasonably priced for what you get.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Endless Mike posted:

They did it for my gf’s S2 this summer and she didn’t have AppleCare.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Batteries are one of those things they're more than likely to do an OOW repair. Losing a few bucks on a battery and labor is a drop in the bucket compared to the settlement if the battery explodes and you get injured.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t like to brag but I’m in pretty good shape.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Congrats on waking up from the coma

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Congrats on... death?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The stand ring is practically a freebie!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My October challenge is 900 exercise minutes :negative:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I asked yesterday but I’m gonna ask again today...with pictures. It was said to be a database error, but it’s like, two days after now and poo poo.

So, anyway, on Sept 28 I ordered a SBSS watch through AT&T and was given an expected delivery date of Nov 5 - 12.

However, if I browse AT&T for the same watch, the estimate is late Oct.

So like, what the hell.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Call them? Or just wait it out, I'm sure they'll ship yours as soon as it's available.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

My October challenge is 900 exercise minutes :negative:

lol you can achieve that by doing 29 min every day and go out with 30 minutes on your last day, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Does anyone have issues with the wallet syncing boarding passes for flights? I would expect as soon as I add the boarding pass to my wallet on the phone it would show up on the watch. I have to remove and re add for it to show up and even that isn’t consistent. Everything else syncs fine.