Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Just imagine how insufferable the player would be who brought valerie to the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it's why I am reluctant to get web.

If you don't like waiting around, you can try throwing a dispel at it. Waste of resources since you can just wait around a few minutes, and not guaranteed to work, but it does speed things up (especially if it's a sorc with dispel, so you can just spam it until it sticks). It is a very good crowd control spell though, and has been responsible for quite a few victories that would have been extremely painful/difficult - to probably nigh impossible - without it.

Not that it's not annoying, especially since the spell IS dismissable in the tabletop rules, but trying to code spells to be dismissable was probably a bit too convoluted and liable to just break stuff. Which, given all the bugs still in the game, means it's probably best that system wasn't tried.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Randbrick posted:

Just imagine how insufferable the player would be who brought valerie to the table

Ask him if I'm beautiful!

Now I've got a scar, am I still beautiful??

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

corn in the bible posted:

I have never seen a player who took an opposite sex character be anything but horrible. It ranks up there with child characters.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Randbrick posted:

The same player who tries to have sex with npcs. I'm all for imagination and verisimilitude but you're just rolling dice with four of your friends my dude.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Washout posted:

I have never seen a player who took an opposite sex character be anything but horrible. It ranks up there with child characters.

I know a couple of guys who always play female characters and do just fine. Also had a friend who played a 12 year old kid super inventor in a Mutants and Masterminds game we had and he did great as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

corn in the bible posted:

Valerie does not give a poo poo about being beautiful.

I actually kind of do like her story, as she told it. Which was "I was going to be a Paladin of the Goddess of Art and Beauty cause my Parents and teachers said so. Then I ditched it, cause I realized I hated everything about it. Art is useless garbage and everyone harassed me cause of my looks."

Also that Paladin that tried to bring her back was a right rear end in a top hat.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah, it's the narration that can't shut up about it. Like I said earlier, there's some good ideas there, the execution is just really :catstare:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Linzi just has a little crush.

Vyacheslav
Aug 4, 2003
Man, the more I play this game, the less I like it. I'm in the war of the river kings chapter, and it feels like all the weird little quest bugs are starting to compound, and the balance in what I think is the big end of chapter dungeon is real bad, even for this game.

Maybe this game will be cool with a year of big fixes and some dlc, but right now it's a smouldering garage fire.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wizard Styles posted:

Linzi just has a little crush.

Linzi has crushes on a lot of people, my dude.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

The game doubles down on this by also giving you Amiri, who's ALSO eating an attack penalty if you use her default gear.

Amiri's oversized weapon is literally never worth. -2 attack for +2 damage? No way.

Poil posted:

You can? That's great thanks. But I kinda wish it worked during combat as well, just one a the time though. Having to fiddle with the belt bar sucks a lot.

It's even dumber because you can refill the belt bar slots during combat, you just can't put stacks in them for whatever idiotic reason.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Day 5 of being stuck at the big boss fight at the end of Act 3. I cleared the entire thing with Tristian, and without him. Even with everyone in the party uninjured, bringing Vordakai down to Injured stops the fight, and they just stare at each other.

Guess I'll just have to try this again in a month, I loved what I played up until the game told me to go gently caress myself.

ONE TIME, I got a cut scene, but it was apparently the second one, as he was dying, then an NPC was released from a Soul Jar, then it froze again as the cut scene stopped.

Good times.

No one else on the internet seems to have any idea what I'm talking about or have the same problem, not sure if they completed Act 3 before 1.06 dropped or what.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I took vital strike. It does nothing.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

I took vital strike. It does nothing.

Vital Strike only works with attack actions (aka move and attack), not full attack actions (aka stand still and attack) or charge actions (aka move and attack but slightly different).

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why would you make a RTWP game out of Pathfinder and keep all of the action types.

Wh

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Toughness has a really convoluted description. If I read it correctly you get one extra hit point per level but the first three are given at level 1 but it takes a massive wall of text to explain that.

deathbagel posted:

I know a couple of guys who always play female characters and do just fine. Also had a friend who played a 12 year old kid super inventor in a Mutants and Masterminds game we had and he did great as well.
Yeah there's only one guy in my group who goes for the backbreakingly overchested elf bimbo every single time.

edit
I play both male and female characters depending of what I think fits the best for the concept I have in mind. :shrug:

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 10, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Roadie posted:

Vital Strike only works with attack actions (aka move and attack), not full attack actions (aka stand still and attack) or charge actions (aka move and attack but slightly different).

What

That's dumb

EDIT: I'm playing a female halfling bard called Melinda the Magnificent in a Pathfinder game that has been on hold for months, because

a. Halfling supremacy
b. Bards are fun
c. Don't judge me man

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 10, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chairchucker posted:

What

That's dumb

EDIT: I'm playing a female halfling bard called Melinda the Magnificent in a Pathfinder game that has been on hold for months, because

a. Halfling supremacy
b. Bards are fun
c. Don't judge me man

I was going to try a Halfling but their heads are just ridiculous.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Taear posted:

I was going to try a Halfling but their heads are just ridiculous.

I meant in actual Pathfinder but also the ridiculous cartoon heads are awesome how dare you.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Roadie posted:

lmao

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wait, what? That’s ridiculous.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wouldn't doing three times the damage on every full attack be quite overpowered? It should probably work on a charge but isn't it supposed to just bring up your damage on occasions when you can't full attack? :confused:

I've no idea about the actual gamebalance or whether it's worth it or not but that's the impression I got when reading up on the feat on the pathfinder site (assuming it's identical to the game).

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is multiclassing in Pathfinder a trap? I'd like to play a ranger/rogue but I keep hearing it's a bad idea to multiclass.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
^^^^
Full spellcasters shouldn't multiclass unless that presige class continues the spell progression.

I took a level of Thief in all my noncasters so I have more than one try per lock and sneak attacks on everyone.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Wait, what? That�s ridiculous.

I mean as a critique of PF itself this game is perfect: implement all the rules as written and just gesture silently at the resulting madness.

And then implement the difficulty sliders so us normal people can play the game and have fun.

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 10, 2018

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

You misunderstand, it's bugged. It doesn't do any extra anything.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh. That's not surprising.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Are ranger and magus the slowest progressing arcane and divine classes? Considering making a gimmick mystic theurge character starting with those classes.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

What's the arcane spell casting progression like with that Rogue archetype? I assume it's either like Magus or worse.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A surfing dog?! posted:

What's the arcane spell casting progression like with that Rogue archetype? I assume it's either like Magus or worse.

Just looked up the wiki; Wizard casting, Magus progression.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ekundayo's dog bugged out and now there are two of them. If I enter the capital the dog shows up in every area I load into if Ekundayo was in my party when I arrived. Two dogs is great, but I would prefer to have that not happen.

Also this game is so ripe for cheese. I killed the Crag Linnorm at level 7, only to realize I didn't have any cold iron weapons to finish it off. Had to go back to the capital, get my cold iron dagger, come back, then murder it again. Buff stacking is absurd but tedious

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Not a Step posted:

absurd but tedious

That's a fair description of a number of the game's systems. I beat the crag linnorm at level 8 and my reward was a magical top hat and an unimpressive mace.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Comstar posted:

Is multiclassing in Pathfinder a trap? I'd like to play a ranger/rogue but I keep hearing it's a bad idea to multiclass.

Nope, almost always you'll make a stronger character by multiclassing than by staying with a pure class.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

malhavok posted:

Nope, almost always you'll make a stronger character by multiclassing than by staying with a pure class.

The only exceptions to this is multiclassing a pure caster into something that will lose you multiple caster levels or losing out on certain capstone abilities.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

The only exceptions to this is multiclassing a pure caster into something that will lose you multiple caster levels or losing out on certain capstone abilities.

Sure, but 1-2 level dips benefit even pure casters.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

malhavok posted:

Sure, but 1-2 level dips benefit even pure casters.

disagree, the encounters seem so tuned you absolutely need wizard crowd control / cleric buffing at appropriate levels

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

disagree, the encounters seem so tuned you absolutely need wizard crowd control / cleric buffing at appropriate levels

Eh, after realizing that at "Normal" there was some serious enemy stat inflation, I've kicked everything down a notch to "Somewhat Easier" and now I'm pretty much having the same kind of experience I had in PoE2: Deadfire on Normal, which is I breeze through most encounters and have to stop and prepare only for the big boss battles. Which is where I want to be. I don't want to have to bust out buffs before or take a rest after every dipshit bandit ambush. I'll spend the time and resources to strengthen my team, but for when it MATTERS, not every time I load a new goddamn map.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

jng2058 posted:

Eh, after realizing that at "Normal" there was some serious enemy stat inflation, I've kicked everything down a notch to "Somewhat Easier" and now I'm pretty much having the same kind of experience I had in PoE2: Deadfire on Normal, which is I breeze through most encounters and have to stop and prepare only for the big boss battles. Which is where I want to be. I don't want to have to bust out buffs before or take a rest after every dipshit bandit ambush. I'll spend the time and resources to strengthen my team, but for when it MATTERS, not every time I load a new goddamn map.

Are you relatively early in the game? I only ask because the biggest issue is the randomly super strong normal enemies more than anything else.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Yeah my wacky Mystic Theurge idea barely holds together. Not having 3rd level spells for so long hurts real bad. Had to drop down to normal. Hopefully level 8 will save this shitshow of a character since I still want to be omnipotent god of buffs and CC but not so sure anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

When I go to a new map I pop off the heroism, mage armor and barkskin spells because they'll last for over an hour now.

Taear posted:

Are you relatively early in the game? I only ask because the biggest issue is the randomly super strong normal enemies more than anything else.

In the original campaign instead of a treant bear there was a bear with slightly lower stats. Not sure why they thought something with DR 10 vs all the weapons you could have would be a good thing, I had to use 15 flasks of alchemist's fire to barely win against that thing.