Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

W.T. Fits posted:

Ace of Spades

That's extremely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
Very good, Mr. Fits. But I can still defeat you.

https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/music/band/discography/details/75761.71001.shovel-headed-kill-machine.html

Shovel-Headed Kill Machine just suggests possibility.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Tevery Best posted:

Lone Digger

Solid choice, save for the fact it was released long after the Manga had completed which under my own personal criteria (released during actual manga release OR timeline) disqualifies it.

Still, solid call!

bladededge posted:

Very good, Mr. Fits. But I can still defeat you.

https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/music/band/discography/details/75761.71001.shovel-headed-kill-machine.html

Shovel-Headed Kill Machine just suggests possibility.

Ah, but is it album titles or band names? Not knowing what's coming we currently just have The Gold Experience which is an album title (copyright blurring aside), so does this fit within the naming conventions of this arc?

Renaissance Spam fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 9, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It has SPQR on it, so Bad Romans

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Renaissance Spam posted:

Ah, but is it album titles or band names? Not knowing what's coming we currently just have The Gold Experience which is an album title (copyright blurring aside), so does this fit within the naming conventions of this arc?

Stand names can be song titles, album titles or artist's names. It just has to be related to music somehow.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The first one we saw explicitly related to music was a band (Cream) and then the second was an instrument even.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there is a reason araki is paid to decide what names are used and we are not

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have so many questions about the picture in Giorno's wallet. Mainly because it's a picture of DIO posing seductively in the darkness.

Did DIO make a naked selfie for Gio's mom? Did Gio just steal his father's naked selfie to carry around in his wallet? :psyduck:

at the exact second the camera flashed DIO activated The World to dim the lights and strike a sexy pose

he does this every single time someone takes a picture of him

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that would imply that there are times when DIO is not already in a sexy pose.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Thats a terrible name for a shovel

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that would imply that there are times when DIO is not already in a sexy pose.

Even while dying, DIO struck one last pose as he announced to the world that he was indeed DIO.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Tunicate posted:

It has SPQR on it, so Bad Worse Romans

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

there is a reason araki is paid to decide what names are used and we are not

I haven’t gotten far into part 8 and I won’t spoil the plot but “Soft and Wet” is already my favorite stand name.

Previous protagonist’s stands were all named after hard, durable materials: platinum, diamond, gold, stone, and tusk. But soft and wet goes the complete opposite direction. Also it’s one of the more underrrated prince songs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gold is not hard or durable. It's actually quite soft.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm realizing now that in terms of what it can actually do, even just what we've already seen and ignoring any future applications that may or may not come up, Gold Experience has like, one of the broadest Stand powersets in the series.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gold experience is one of a handful of stands where the best course of action is to not ask 'what if it did this' because you're going to quickly find out that araki has a habit of writing very open-ended things and it's best not to question it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Trying to put physics into super power stuff couldn't be more of a tedious bore, but its doubly so in jojo where stuff just happens cause stands are such broad powerset

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arist posted:

I'm realizing now that in terms of what it can actually do, even just what we've already seen and ignoring any future applications that may or may not come up, Gold Experience has like, one of the broadest Stand powersets in the series.

Gold Experience's power is the Ripple. He even introduced its power with a frog. :v:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

Trying to put physics into super power stuff couldn't be more of a tedious bore, but its doubly so in jojo where stuff just happens cause stands are such broad powerset

I always imagine JoJo is the transcription of Araki's homebrew TT RPG campaigns, and he's the kind of DM that lets players do whatever if they can even vaguely justify it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

hoobajoo posted:

I always imagine JoJo is the transcription of Araki's homebrew TT RPG campaigns, and he's the kind of DM that lets players do whatever if they can even vaguely justify it.

This is also the perfect way to run a JoJo TTRPG, I can say from experience.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Araki has a special chart set up where he carefully maps out the specifics and details of every stand, and then he chucks that chart out a window and draws whatever looks coolest instead. Then he throws in a fact about Mongolian Agriculture.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

gold experience is one of a handful of stands where the best course of action is to not ask 'what if it did this' because you're going to quickly find out that araki has a habit of writing very open-ended things and it's best not to question it

Yeah. It's a lot like Heaven's Door in that regard, although Heaven's Door is at least limited in practice by Rohan's aesthetic sensibilities.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly I think you guys are making it more confusing then it needs to be.

Gold Experience has a very simple powerset. It's just the power is amazingly versatile.

He can inject life into any non living object, and from it create any form of life. It also had the side ability that any life he creates reflects damage back at anyone that tries to harm it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 9, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

we're well aware of what it does, we're just referring to how incredibly inherently open-ended what it does is

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Johnny Joestar posted:

we're well aware of what it does, we're just referring to how incredibly inherently open-ended what it does is

Oh yeah it's very open ended. I think about the only limit shown is that small objects don't become big animals.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The more extraneous bits of Gold Experience do get trimmed down, at least. I think we've actually seen the last of the damage reflection, for example.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think the #1 rule for stands is that when you first get one there's a grace period where you're virtually omnipotent, before you settle down on what your gimmick actually is.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tunicate posted:

I think the #1 rule for stands is that when you first get one there's a grace period where you're virtually omnipotent, before you settle down on what your gimmick actually is.

Koichi had the opposite trajectory, but point taken nonetheless. Every rule about Stands is contradicted at least once anyway.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

The more extraneous bits of Gold Experience do get trimmed down, at least. I think we've actually seen the last of the damage reflection, for example.

There's actually a possible explanation for this hinted at in the episode. Giorno makes it sound like the damage redirection is an uncontrollable side effect of the animals' independence from him; perhaps it will stop happening as he improves his control over the animals' actions.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 9, 2018

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There are a couple of things in the first couple of episodes that Giorno does with his Stand that he never does again. It's one of those Araki things where he gives someone a power, realizes he doesn't like writing around it that way, and changes it with no explanation.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Oh yeah. Star Platinum getting the treadmill into the cell makes no sense for such a short-range Stand and implies a make-objects-phase-through-other-objects power that never comes up again. Not to mention Star Finger! And then there's Dio's copy of Hermit Purple, although the artbooks do say it's Jonathan's Stand, so maybe he lost it as he assimilated Jonathan's body.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Giorno saying the animals are independent from him kinda contradicts both times we see them, the (admittedly) anime only butterflies and frog both come right to him in ways normal animals wouldn't.

I assume he means he doesn't have direct exact control but idk you're doing something there buddy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They just like him.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Silver2195 posted:

And then there's Dio's copy of Hermit Purple, although the artbooks do say it's Jonathan's Stand, so maybe he lost it as he assimilated Jonathan's body.

that's pretty much exactly it. as dio asserts more control his own stand comes forth.

also yeah gold experience is a classic jojo example of araki kind of going with something and then not revisiting it later for whatever reason. kind of like how there was such a big deal paid to josuke getting mad about his hair and there being ample opportunities for it to happen yet early on that all goes away immediately after the explanation behind why it happens occurs. which makes sense if araki doesn't want to constantly keep harping on a thing but it makes it a bit weird in the beginning when people expect something and then don't get it anymore after a specific point.

it's not really a spoiler to say that the damage reflection thing never really sticks around and it's probably for the best because 'infusing life' is already a really loving wild ability as all you anime-only people will get to see

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Oh yeah. Star Platinum getting the treadmill into the cell makes no sense for such a short-range Stand and implies a make-objects-phase-through-other-objects power that never comes up again. Not to mention Star Finger! And then there's Dio's copy of Hermit Purple, although the artbooks do say it's Jonathan's Stand, so maybe he lost it as he assimilated Jonathan's body.

Clearly Dio's real power is stealing from the Joestar bloodline

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Expect My Mom posted:

Giorno saying the animals are independent from him kinda contradicts both times we see them, the (admittedly) anime only butterflies and frog both come right to him in ways normal animals wouldn't.

I assume he means he doesn't have direct exact control but idk you're doing something there buddy

Maybe they just really like him or Gold Experience? He did seem a little surprised that the frog came back. Now that I'm thinking about it, it comes across like he's been experimenting with whether or not transformed stuff finds him again, but who knows.

Waffleman_ posted:

They just like him.

See, he gets it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Clearly Dio's real power is stealing from the Joestar bloodline

This is actually a fairly popular fan theory (similar to a Soviet Stand user killing Stroheim, Josuke going back in time to save himself, etc.). Said artbook seems to contradict it, though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Don't listen to these fools, as a genuine manga reader, I can tell you that all of Gold Experience's powers you saw today and in the coming weeks stick through the entire part, get an in-depth explanation and are used at the most convenient moments.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, I'm imagining Giorno's a bit similar to Vanilla Ice or Okuyasu where even they don't know exactly how their Stand works, the two of them not knowing where stuff their Stand obliterates ends up, just that it does things. Giorno can't control the animals, but yeah, has experimented enough to roughly get them to do what he wants

and honestly I kinda like that loosey-goosey nature of Stands, a power you don't get to pick, as opposed to Nen in Hunter x Hunter, where every person has prepared their senior thesis on what their power is and how it would work if B happened instead A

don't think, feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

that's pretty much exactly it. as dio asserts more control his own stand comes forth.

also yeah gold experience is a classic jojo example of araki kind of going with something and then not revisiting it later for whatever reason. kind of like how there was such a big deal paid to josuke getting mad about his hair and there being ample opportunities for it to happen yet early on that all goes away immediately after the explanation behind why it happens occurs. which makes sense if araki doesn't want to constantly keep harping on a thing but it makes it a bit weird in the beginning when people expect something and then don't get it anymore after a specific point.

Or how about Josuke fixing things incorrectly when he's mad?