Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, the core concepts of Infinity are incredibly simple: declare first skill, ask for reactions, declare second skill, ask for reactions, roll dice to find out what happens. The complexity comes from the fact that pretty much every rule in the game has an exception. There's smoke, you can't see me; yes, but I have a multi-spectral visor that lets me see through smoke! I'm behind you, you can't see me; yes, but I have a 360-degree visor that lets me see behind me! You're behind me, but so close that I get a Zone-of-Control reaction to try to turn around; yes, but I have the Stealth skill, so you don't get ZoC reactions to me. We're in melee combat, so this test is a face-to-face roll; yes, but I am Berserk, so I choose to have both of us make unopposed rolls for some mutually-assured-destruction goodness! And so on.

And on that note, the Face-to-Face roll is a loving genius game mechanic. It handles some really complex interactions with a pretty impressive elegance, and is one of my favorite parts of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just LOL if someone actually plays a game with the minis they paint.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Moon Monster posted:

Infinity names tend to be bewildering until you look up the meaning behind them at which point they make sense. Like, Bashi Bazouks sounds like total nonsense, maybe the have a bazooka, but it's actually based off an Ottoman term for irregular infantry.

Do you want to have to look up the fluff to make sense of the names though?

I always like a little unit info in the fluff like: "The Bashi Bazouks (from the Turkic "başıbozuk" meaning "leaderless") are a irregular formation of infantry raised in the blahblahblahblahblah province specialized in agagagagagaghghghg".

But I was socialized into the hobby by guys who started wargaming with Napoleonics and had hundreds of Osprey books just lying around.

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 10, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If you're playing Ottomans in a historical game presumably you're into Ottomans and already know the term or would be interested in learning it. With Infinity they use untranslated names from a dozen different languages along with made up scifi terms to fill out their entirely fictional setting. It's not a dealbreaker or anything but it is an extra barrier to entry.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just LOL if someone actually plays a game with the minis they paint.

From my experience at Gencon wanting to demo Infinity they don't want you to do this.

Someone nicked the field with a tape measure on Thursday so for the rest of the week there was no measuring. You just had to wing everything because gently caress seeing how the game actually plays

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Still, I'd take the silly names for guns or skills over nested rules any day of the week. I shouldn't have to look up what the gently caress Morat does, then look up two more skills in turn, just to find out what the basic functionality of the thing is.
My Cadmus has Morpho-Scan, which includes Striga, which includes V:Dogged, which includes V:Courage, and that's why I don't have to make a Guts roll. - actual situation from previous edition. Saying it felt like total gamey bullshit.

(too bad they "fixed" it by removing the Striga and Dogged dependencies with no corresponding points decrease)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Who cares if you can or cannot tell what something is from its name; you're still going to have to look it up to find out how it works in the game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't understand why CB would squat a faction under the pretense of "advancing the plot." It reads like Warlord or Battlefront retiring their Polish models because "it's 1940 now."

Do the old molds take up too much space to make them cast on demand or something?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

moths posted:

I don't understand why CB would squat a faction under the pretense of "advancing the plot." It reads like Warlord or Battlefront retiring their Polish models because "it's 1940 now."

Do the old molds take up too much space to make them cast on demand or something?

They're really not getting squatted. They want to cut back on SKUs, so they're going to stop making the models for those factions. You can still play them, and if you don't have the models you are allowed to proxy even in official tournaments with their quite fair policy. The factions will still probably get rule tweaks, and may get re-released. Honestly, it sounds like they just want the sectorials to rotate production to lower total amount of SKUs. Their solution seems pretty elegant to me. Only improvement would be cast on demand, but you can still easily find all these sculpts to buy. I can't find a problem from any reasonable angle.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mugaaz posted:

Honestly, it sounds like they just want the sectorials to rotate production to lower total amount of SKUs.
This is exactly what has been done. Some people have been jerking themselves off into a frenzy about it because CB has been pretty crap at telling people about it. Nothing has actually been removed from the game army wise with this.

The JSA Uprising is a different kettle of fish.

moths posted:

Yeah they pretty much told us they can't support the sheer amount of product the game has. So their solution is to rotate things for now.

Someone post a poo poo paint job that's not mine please!

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Flipswitch posted:

This is exactly what has been done. Some people have been jerking themselves off into a frenzy about it because CB has been pretty crap at telling people about it. Nothing has actually been removed from the game army wise with this.

The JSA Uprising is a different kettle of fish.

I agree the JSA thing is different, but it was cool and exciting. It came with legitimate costs, but the payoff was there. Glad they have the courage to make big moves like that.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I really liked the one game of shadespire I played

actually had some interesting tactical options and required thinking ahead and out-smarting my opponent

to the surprise of nobody, I am going to get the skeleton team

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I cannot for the life of me remove my air valve from the airbrush body. It is stuck on there like a loving demon. Anyone have suggestions?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

bring back death thread unban boomTriple

Chill la Chill posted:

I miss the death thread because there were good posts (usually from leper) and it was the best chat and anime thread. There was the day boom 3 said sorry for posting gundams even though many of us didn�t mind, and then boom got banned. RIP boom3

SAME

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Man this thread needs a name change again. I come to see laughably lovely and cringeworthy paint jobs, and now it's death thread/advice/good paint jobs. I just want to laugh at bad toy mans again.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
seriously

MODS?!?!

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Linku to active Death Thread, please.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Irate Tree posted:

Linku to active Death Thread, please.

Im fairly certain there isnt one. Be the death you wish to see in the world.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

lol

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Mugaaz posted:

My problem is virtually all their games are so devoid of thinking that I just can't gather much enjoyment from playing.

I can't comment on the big ones, but Shadespire certainly has a lot of thinking going on in it - and even if you can't do anything in your opponent's turn (which is rare, due to the cards), their turn is over soon enough.

Shadespire sits in the middle ground of mental taxation for me. Infinity is right at the difficult end.

StuG Jeebus posted:

If you want a good game from GW, get Shadespire, it is legitimately outstanding. Like, way ahead of their other games and one of the best I've played from anyone. I am genuinely disappointed that there is just no interest in it locally.

I played some Aristeia at my local club the other week and really wish there was more interest locally, as that's also a class game, occupying a similar position as Shadespire.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mascot material for this thread, right here.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The Moon Monster posted:

If you're playing Ottomans in a historical game presumably you're into Ottomans and already know the term or would be interested in learning it. With Infinity they use untranslated names from a dozen different languages along with made up scifi terms to fill out their entirely fictional setting. It's not a dealbreaker or anything but it is an extra barrier to entry.

lol everybody get a load of this guy

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Tried to create a new Death Thread during my lunch break but can't find a create thread button on my phone app. Options;

1) My stupid belongs here.
2) There is no button for some reason.
3) The reason is that I am not trusted to create threads.
4) All of the above.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
if you cant find the create thread button probably dont make a thread

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

im doin it

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871150

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

nazi scrunts gently caress off

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
scruntzis?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
National Scruntalists

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Scruntzstaffel

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Moola posted:

if you cant find the create thread button probably dont make a thread

It's not my finest moment in life tbh.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Scrunt nazis would never work

not even scrunts believe other scrunts are genetically superior to other races

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:yeshaha:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you, you fuzzy faced stranger.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

I present bad minis content. I 3d printed these and speed painted them for a gift for a friend.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

General Olloth posted:

I present bad minis content. I 3d printed these and speed painted them for a gift for a friend.

you gotta pay the troll toll...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

General Olloth posted:

kickstarter when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

General Olloth posted:

do you... do you hate your friend?