Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

They would be privatised 5 years in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Caleb Bond appointed Australias first nuclear regulatory tsar

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Nuclear waste would be disposed directly into Ayers Rock by drilling a barrel sized hole in the top and hollowing it out

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Could probably get nuclear power in this country if we somehow tied it to horse racing.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Nuclear would have been pretty sweet around 50 years ago but the time for renewables has come. It is the cheapest electricity out there and is vital for meeting (what should be) our emission targets. Time to go full steam on renewables.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Knorth posted:

This feels like a weird point to make, for Australia

My point for Australia was one of scale. Go whole hog into renewables! Hopefully you get enough batteries/set up hydrogen electrolysis stations. Just astonished how well the dumbass tying of nuclear power to nuclear weapons worked.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
They both have nuclear in the name, and people dumb.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Aurubin posted:

My point for Australia was one of scale. Go whole hog into renewables! Hopefully you get enough batteries/set up hydrogen electrolysis stations. Just astonished how well the dumbass tying of nuclear power to nuclear weapons worked.

"Another Chernobyl!" screams the headline without anyone at the agency actually knowing what happened at Chernobyl.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hell, we have a fair few people who think we should shut down the reactor that produces our medical radioactives :negative:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, but strippers at the Opera House.

Also gently caress the "religious rights" review that will allow religious schools to discriminate against not only homosexual staff members, but also allow them to kick out homosexual students

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Keen for schools to hold miniature Spanish inquisitions for finding gay students.

Thanks Scott!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aurubin posted:

In Australia nuclear power is also tied to mining in rainforests and destroying historically significant sites.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

Caleb Bond appointed Australias first control rod

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Aurubin posted:

I was going on a nuclear power bender last night and I read you idiots banned nuclear power despite having 33% of the world's uranium. Why do you dummies hate nuclear but love coal?

Look at what the uranium is under.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

asio posted:

The southern cross :australia:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

asio posted:

A Captain Cook statue?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

You Am I posted:

Yeah, but strippers at the Opera House.

Also gently caress the "religious rights" review that will allow religious schools to discriminate against not only homosexual staff members, but also allow them to kick out homosexual students

Yeah that is loving bullshit. How about we just ban private schools instead of banning gay kids?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

asio posted:

Solemn Sloth posted:

:patriot:

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Solemn Sloth posted:

:lol:

Perfect.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This religious freedoms poo poo is the most arrogant garbage I've ever seen. States already allow discrimination against staff on sexual orientation and now they want to expand it so they can put those little gay kids in their place too!

The fact that it's called "religious freedom" when they apparently already have carte blanche to do whatever they gently caress they want is maddening.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

This religious freedoms poo poo is the most arrogant garbage I've ever seen. States already allow discrimination against staff on sexual orientation and now they want to expand it so they can put those little gay kids in their place too!

The fact that it's called "religious freedom" when they apparently already have carte blanche to do whatever they gently caress they want is maddening.

They literally say "don't discriminate against us, but we can discriminate against you" :mad:

quote:

Entrenching the power to hire and fire gay teachers and eject gay students was one of the central demands of the Catholic church, the Anglican Diocese of Sydney and Christian Schools Australia in submissions to the Ruddock review.

The review is expected to call for changes to make it unlawful to discriminate against someone on the basis of their religious belief or lack thereof

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I’m really angry at Australia’s hatred of nuclear power. It’s a sign of the Luddite nature of this country. It’s clean and safe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Paul_Karp/status/1049786928973799429

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Count Chocula posted:

I�m really angry at Australia�s hatred of nuclear power. It�s a sign of the Luddite nature of this country. It�s clean and safe.

I don't think we have the institutional knowledge for it and I also think by the time we got it up and running now we might as well be totally renewable so it's a moot point.

Owning slaves was existing law, what a gently caress up it was to change that.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Nuclear To The Node, and for the last mile, clean, safe coal power

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Only the Liberal Nuclear Government can make this happen

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

AgentF posted:

Nuclear would have been pretty sweet around 50 years ago but the time for renewables has come. It is the cheapest electricity out there and is vital for meeting (what should be) our emission targets. Time to go full steam on renewables.

Yeah.

Knowing Australia, we will get on the nuclear bandwagon just as fusion becomes a thing and then we'll have fifty years of politicians trying to argue why we should keep using fission plants.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gladys knows the days are up for the NSW Liberal Government, so time to bring in some racist dog whistling over immigration numbers to the state!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-10/nsw-premier-calls-for-immigration-rethink/10358696

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vote Kill: NSW

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hooman posted:

Vote Kill: NSW

I tried!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Aurubin posted:

I was going on a nuclear power bender last night and I read you idiots banned nuclear power despite having 33% of the world's uranium. Why do you dummies hate nuclear but love coal?
* Misrepresentation. No. Australia has never banned nuclear power.
* Ad Homenin.

And clowns like you wonder why nuclear gets a bad name. If the advocates are so loving willing to misrepresent and insult who is going to give them the time of day?

But more tellingly - Nuclear power is too expensive. Nobody who isn't a state sponsor is doing nuclear power. It was initially heavily subsidised by nuclear weapon states and governments who wanted to be on the cutting edge of technology. Nuclear power is to power generation as the Concorde is to air travel. An amazing concept that doesn't really work economically and occasionally goes boom spectacularly. At least you can now plant crops (etc.) where the Concorde hit. Not so much in Chernobyl and Fucashima.

I think we all know where the real 'dummies' are.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
The damage caused by Fukushima has been completely exaggerated.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4397

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Went on a long expedition to find this classic from hooman

Good to have you posting again Chocula

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1049793516082147334?s=21

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am the sanate

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The thing I look forward the most to in the 2018 election is the increasingly likely removal of Cory Bernardi and Senator Lionhat from public office.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Jar Jar Binks was a senator.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

I�m really angry at Australia�s hatred of nuclear power. It�s a sign of the Luddite nature of this country. It�s clean and safe.

go and pepper spray a shark about it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nice to see that the light-hearted and feel good film about murderous colonial sex criminal Errol Flynn is getting great reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

The thing I look forward the most to in the 2019 election is the increasingly likely removal of Cory Bernardi and Senator Lionhat from public office.

Sorry mate, next year at the earliest :(

What conspiracy theories are out there regarding Port Arthur?

• Locked thread