Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
The nice part about the digital version of Starlink is you get WAY MORE SHIPS/PILOTS/ETC for 20$ less. Which, ya know, makes sense since you're not getting the toys.

The physical edition on the Switch is 80$, And you get 2 pilots, 3 weapons, and the Arwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Picked up Guacamelee to play through it again, and I forgot how slick it feels. The style and animations are great, and I had a hard time putting it down as it keeps funneling you to the next objective. It's a stark contrast to Hollow Knight, which often felt like a slog, especially when I saw that the next unexplored area was across the map and the nearest fast travel point was a couple minutes away.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Mister Facetious posted:

Please compare it to Colony Wars 1-3, my gold standard for console space combat (because I can't be arsed to buy Elite: Dangerous).

Great throwback. I loved those games as well but I hardly ever see them mentioned or discussed. I remember the cool ads they had in gamer mags and eventually I got to play them at a cousin’s house. Really felt like you were part of a huge war rather than being a lone hero.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Fancy Hat! posted:

The nice part about the digital version of Starlink is you get WAY MORE SHIPS/PILOTS/ETC for 20$ less. Which, ya know, makes sense since you're not getting the toys.

The physical edition on the Switch is 80$, And you get 2 pilots, 3 weapons, and the Arwing.

Wait, you only get all of the games content if you buy it digitally, and with the physical version you need to buy the toys to unlock the parts? Am I reading that correctly?

Stitch
Aug 2, 2000

If it wasn't for bad judgement, I'd have none at all
Fun Shoe

THE loving MOON posted:

Wait, you only get all of the games content if you buy it digitally, and with the physical version you need to buy the toys to unlock the parts? Am I reading that correctly?

Yeah, but you can unlock it all physically for 246.87, so just sell off a beanie baby or two.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I thought Starlink was like, Nintendo Skylanders or something. All I know is it's a space shooter with toys.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

THE loving MOON posted:

Not ALL of the content, just more in the digital starter pack. You can buy ships/parts/pilots in digital bundles for much cheaper than buying the toys. So, if you're an adult who doesnt give a gently caress about plastic, it's preferable.

As per the Starlink website:

The Starter Pack for Nintendo Switch includes:
Starlink: Battle for Atlas
Joycon Mount
Arwing Starship
Fox McCloud and exclusive Star Fox missions
Mason Rana
Flamethrower Weapon
Frost Barrage Weapon
Digital Zenith Starship
Digital Shredder Weapon

Starter Packs retail for $74.99

The Digital Starter Packs include:
Starlink: Battle for Atlas
4 Starships (Zenith, Pulse, Lance, Neptune)
6 Pilots (Mason, Chase, Levi, Razor, Hunter, Kharl)
12 Weapons (Shredder, Flamethrower, Frost Barrage, Levitator, Volcano, Imploder, Iron Fist, Freeze Ray Mk.2, Crusher, Shredder Mk.2, Shockwave, and Gauss Gun Mk.2)
The Nintendo Switch Digital Starter Pack also includes pilot Fox McCloud, exclusive Star Fox missions, and the Arwing starship

All digital starter packs retail for $59.99

Waffle! posted:

I thought Starlink was like, Nintendo Skylanders or something. All I know is it's a space shooter with toys.

It's kind of like No Man's Skylanders, except you don't leave your ship and there's more poo poo to do. Also there's an actual story,

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 10, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It totally makes sense to mount the ship to the joycon puppy but being locked into a worse controller setup than split cons or Pro controller is one more argument for just passing on physical

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Huh. That makes the game suddenly way more attractive.

Still gonna wait and see though.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

If I don't have to mess with the toys, I might actually pick it up. Gameplay I've seen looks pretty fun.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Fancy Hat! posted:

It's kind of like No Man's Skylanders, except you don't leave your ship and there's more poo poo to do. Also there's an actual story,

Isnt that a guess. That there more to do?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ragequit posted:

Lmao I just got Runelord in Octopath Traveler. That is some busted poo poo. For the price of 1 standard attack, I can knock down two weaknesses toward a break and do an extra 10,000 damage. I also have a 50% chance of doing it twice with the second serving passive!

Unlocking it was a fun fight at level 48.

Guess I better go and get the other elite sub classes now.

I'll need more job system games when I beat it. Bravely Default Third when?

If you're only doing 9999 with the Runelord's chaser then you need to equip the damage cap passive from warrior because with good gear your chaser hits for tens of thousands of damage. :eng101:

Licarn posted:

Okay but what's the ranking out of avocados, anime and pumpkin spice

Pretty sure there's an anime about this.

Policenaut posted:

Pumpkin pie rules.

It's not as good as Dutch Apple Pie but it's a close second.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Isnt that a guess. That there more to do?

If we're talking about Launch Window NMS, then they'd have to work less for there to be less to do than that.
NMS Sky post NEXT patch? Yeah there's meat on those bones and I'd be guessing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I love my Switch forever but I’m definitely tired of multi platform games underperforming on Switch. The latest being 2012’s Mark of the Ninja being 60fps on ALL consoles except Switch. (30 handheld and choppy docked)

For that reason, I think if I intend to ever get Star Link it will be on PS4 or something...

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
On the subject of streaming apps, I've got a hunch that Hulu paid for one year exclusivity in the US back before people saw the switch would be big and we'll likely start seeing other streaming apps on the platform starting next month. Especially since kid eyeballs are amongst the most valuable ones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ohtsam posted:

On the subject of streaming apps, I've got a hunch that Hulu paid for one year exclusivity in the US back before people saw the switch would be big and we'll likely start seeing other streaming apps on the platform starting next month. Especially since kid eyeballs are amongst the most valuable ones.

I can basically assure you this isnt the case and kid eyeballs are trash that almost nobody wants.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

And kids are\were decidedly not the focus of the switch, which is partially why there was no 12switch bundle, would give the wrong impressing.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo. Hearing that the physical edition of Starlink comes with less stuff than the digital while being more expensive means I’ll be canceling my preorder from GameStop. I normally only get digital versions of small indie titles but looks like I’ll be investing in an SD card.

The two games I’m most excited about from E3 are Starlink and Daemon x Machina.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Barudak posted:

I can basically assure you this isnt the case and kid eyeballs are trash that almost nobody wants.

Jeepers creepers, I'm not so sure about that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Jeepers creepers, I'm not so sure about that.

Not the right size for a transplant, too small for a stew stock.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I don't download a lot on consoles, so I don't know how normal this is, but I'm downloading the splatoon 2 dlc and it's pulling it down at 35mbps. That's a lot faster than I would have expected from a console download. I remember ps3 updates being incredibly slow in particular.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Rocket League is a good comparison of how steep a hit a game on the Switch takes in its intended visual fidelity. It looks terrible in comparison to just about anything. But the appeal of portable Rocket League on a stable mobile platform is 🅱️retty good

I don't know how much they'll be able to fix from the Dark Souls demo, but it's evident it's not supposed to be running on a Switch. I think you should avoid buying these games so not to encourage poor ports, but ymmv

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think we've hit the peak now, where companies aren't even pretending to put effort into getting the best performance out of the their ports and are just making GBS threads them out instead.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Alan_Shore posted:

I think we've hit the peak now, where companies aren't even pretending to put effort into getting the best performance out of the their ports and are just making GBS threads them out instead.
Switch is the new Vita.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

iddqd posted:

Well poo poo. Hearing that the physical edition of Starlink comes with less stuff than the digital while being more expensive means I�ll be canceling my preorder from GameStop. I normally only get digital versions of small indie titles but looks like I�ll be investing in an SD card.

The two games I�m most excited about from E3 are Starlink and Daemon x Machina.

Yeah both look promising. I'm watching for sure, but there's already at least one Switch game I want coming out every month for the next several months, not to mention other platforms. Soul Calibur is gonna eat up some time.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

iddqd posted:

Well poo poo. Hearing that the physical edition of Starlink comes with less stuff than the digital while being more expensive means I�ll be canceling my preorder from GameStop. I normally only get digital versions of small indie titles but looks like I�ll be investing in an SD card.

The two games I�m most excited about from E3 are Starlink and Daemon x Machina.

Umm I think you can have both the physical and the digital? The difference is just that you can switch parts instantly with the physical stuff instead of going thru the menu.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Gotta bring that sack of parts for rooftop parties!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Switch is the new Vita.

I should hope not

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
The Switch is the best combination home and portable console Nintendo has made since the Game Cube

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

more NES games were just added to the NES app, none of the other games were removed to make room in case that's something you were worried about

One of the games they added was a "Special" version of Zelda, you start out with 6 hearts, the master sword, the bigger shield, a different tunic, max rupees and a bunch of items... Also it seems like secrets in the overworld are already revealed?
Pretty neat addition I guess

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 10, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

.TakaM posted:

One of the games they added was a "Special" version of Zelda, you start out with 6 hearts, the master sword, the bigger shield, a different tunic, max rupees and a bunch of items... Also it seems like secrets in the overworld are already revealed?

That seems pretty cool, like an easier version of the game to draw people in? I wonder if they'll do more versions of games like that.

Special version of Zelda 2 with a bunch of exp and perma-candle please.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Will there be an official randomiser romhack?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1049783060802064384

In a surprise announcement, Swery65's The Missing is coming tomorrow to the Switch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1049783060802064384

In a surprise announcement, Swery65's The Missing is coming tomorrow to the Switch.

Holy poo poo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Deadly Premonition is that Not Twin Peaks game right? I think it was one of the only Let's Play I've ever watched and really enjoyed.

I wonder how this new game plays. My partner eats up mystery stuff like this so maybe I can get her to be interested in it as well...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Deadly Premonition is that Not Twin Peaks game right? I think it was one of the only Let's Play I've ever watched and really enjoyed.

I wonder how this new game plays. My partner eats up mystery stuff like this so maybe I can get her to be interested in it as well...

Yup, that’s the one. He also did a cool graphical adventure game called D4 that was never completed.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SelenicMartian posted:

Switch is the new Vita.

*checks the Nintendo Switch's release library*

Yup, no games for it either. Claim checks out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Vita is life. Switch is home town.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

Vita is life. Switch is home town.

A switch is a tool of domestic abuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

.TakaM posted:

more NES games were just added to the NES app, none of the other games were removed to make room in case that's something you were worried about

NES Open Tournament Golf is the new best golf game on the Switch